Munki's 2 x 4 Bubba Kush ScrOG Bondage

Great job Munki. I am really excited to see your solution to scrogen a strain with really solid stems. I am trying scrog for the first time, growing C99 right now so don't have to worry about thick stems in this grow! Hope to master the art of scrog before attempting a more challenging strain. It is always nice to see someone else tackle a problem before you attempt it. Learning a lot. Keep up the good work!

Great job Munki. I am really excited to see your solution to scrogen a strain with really solid stems. I am trying scrog for the first time, growing C99 right now so don't have to worry about thick stems in this grow! Hope to master the art of scrog before attempting a more challenging strain. It is always nice to see someone else tackle a problem before you attempt it. Learning a lot. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I haven't succeeded yet with this strain. The stems have very little flexibility; I can hardly bend one even one inch from the tip.

I think your right munki. Kind of like how a broken bone left crooked will grow new tissue and heal in that positions.
Nice job getting her to bend. Now she'll start weaving through the screen.;)

Well I did break the top while bending it today. I decided to push it back together with the screen helping to hold it in place. Seems to be doing OK with the damage about 8 hours after the snap.

The plants are really starting to suck up the nutrients. Went from a TDS reading of 980 ppm with a fresh mix yesterday to a reading of 903 ppm after adding 5/8 gallon of water as an addback.

hay brother dont be to worried about her side branches to much. as long as they can get some light they will shoot out soon enough. i thought the same thing when my 98 bubba mom was growing up too. give her some time and make sure they are getting light and she will lift up her skirt for ya.

Well I found that bending the stems can easily have them snap off at the internode. I think I was able to save one a bit farther down the main trunk but I lost the top and stem immediately below it.

2009-12-06_01.jpg

2009-12-06_02.jpg

2009-12-06_03.jpg

2009-12-06_04.jpg

2009-12-06_05.jpg

2009-12-06_06.jpg

2009-12-06_07.jpg

2009-12-06_08.jpg

2009-12-06_09.jpg

2009-12-06_10.jpg

2009-12-06_11.jpg

hay brother dont be to worried about her side branches to much. as long as they can get some light they will shoot out soon enough. i thought the same thing when my 98 bubba mom was growing up too. give her some time and make sure they are getting light and she will lift up her skirt for ya.

I find it challenging to get light penetration on this strain with the huge fan leaves. It is a great candidate for side lighting.

Don't worry munki, i think topping would have been the only option later in your grow to get the best results especially when doing ScrOG, i thought you was meant too top them anyway when doing this method.

Bubba is a very stout plant nodes grow tight too the main stem if not trained you'll need to top it to make it spread more

When will you start to clean up some of those leaves underneath the screen?

Hey Munki,

Sorry to hear about the breakage.

But, at least now your shorter of the two might have a second to do a little catching up. :grinjoint:

What are your leaves twisting from ?

Looking Great !
MJ420:peace:

I'm not sure what you mean by the twisting. The part I pulled out had been deformed by bing pressed against the screen and had also wilted some as it had broken off about a day before hanging on by about 10 % of the stalk. I just finished the job today. Note that the stem had a nice cavity in the center of the stem. I've heard that is a good quality to find in a cannabis plant.

Now some of the big fan leaves tend to curl down but can be pushed in to make the blades curl up. The interior parts of the leaves outgrew the edges so they bow out. Probably a reaction to the high available chemical nutrient bath they receive.

Don't worry munki, i think topping would have been the only option later in your grow to get the best results especially when doing ScrOG, i thought you was meant too top them anyway when doing this method.

Bubba is a very stout plant nodes grow tight too the main stem if not trained you'll need to top it to make it spread more

When will you start to clean up some of those leaves underneath the screen?

I would have to agree that topping is the easiest thing to do. Otherwise, I could see a lower pressure applied over a longer period working OK. Some kind of automatic tensioner connected the tie down strings. Maybe mounted pulleys on the edge of the bucket with weights attached to the strings would accomplish the task. I see a solution in my mind for this but do not know how to fabricate it yet. It would be a circular pole around the outside top edge of the buckets where the pulleys could be attached via rollers. They would allow lateral movement but the pulleys would be fixed from moving up or down around the pole itself. A square pole around the bucket could help prevent that so the pulleys remain suspended outside the outer edge of the buckets so the weighed strings can drop unimpeded. The circle pole is like a clothes rack at a store for comparison. What do you think? I just came up with this as I typed so it was a stream of consciousness thing. :idea:

just pinch her and bend her over hehehe. no really though. it is alot easier than fabricating something and it works just the same. ive done it with my banana kush and kushberry, and they didnt even blink when i did it. if you hold her bent over for a day or so she will stay like that. ill see if i have any pics. i can try to make a vid of me doing it to one of my moms if youd like. that sounded bad....

Is there a certain net height that you have as a goal? I'd really like to do a scrog, but feel clueless as to the nuts and bolts.

Enough height so you can work underneath the screen while training the growing branches through the screen. So it somewhat depends on the gardener and the conditions of the grow. Somewhere between 8 and 12 inches is good for me.

just pinch her and bend her over hehehe. no really though. it is alot easier than fabricating something and it works just the same. ive done it with my banana kush and kushberry, and they didnt even blink when i did it. if you hold her bent over for a day or so she will stay like that. ill see if i have any pics. i can try to make a vid of me doing it to one of my moms if youd like. that sounded bad....

The weights and pulleys were a mechanism to apply the even pressure to pull them down without a failure at the internode. The screen may not be enough to hold down the growth given these growth characteristics.

IMHO it's just as effective as other ways and it also will give time for the other to catch up. If u pinch her and then just tie her that way for a day she will hold and u can remove the tie down. To each his own. Sorry if I sound pushy, you obviously got something going right from the looks of things. Just trinh to save u time and effort. +rep for the enginuity!

Edit: sorry man won't let me give u reps but as soon as I can, it's all yours.

Enough height so you can work underneath the screen while training the growing branches through the screen. So it somewhat depends on the gardener and the conditions of the grow. Somewhere between 8 and 12 inches is good for me.

I guess if it were too high, it'd take too long to fill out the screen? Or is it due to light height limitations?

You are making me want to try ebb & grow! +reps

IMHO it's just as effective as other ways and it also will give time for the other to catch up. If u pinch her and then just tie her that way for a day she will hold and u can remove the tie down. To each his own. Sorry if I sound pushy, you obviously got something going right from the looks of things. Just trinh to save u time and effort. +rep for the enginuity!

Edit: sorry man won't let me give u reps but as soon as I can, it's all yours.

No worries here. I think I would need pliers to pinch these stems! Just a very different strain to what I had last.

I guess if it were too high, it'd take too long to fill out the screen? Or is it due to light height limitations?

You are making me want to try ebb & grow! +reps

Depending on how tall the strain would get on its own would be the other main consideration. The bottom growth can be trimmed and just take the branches from the last six inches or so below the screen and spread their growth out through the screen. It would take a fair amount of time to grow a plant really tall so I try to keep the screen low. ScrOG was originally developed for height restricted areas and low intensity lighting like florescents.

Oh you will like ebb and flow. Less things to go wrong and easy to get great results.

Your pulley system sounds cool. Makes me think of a Rube Goldberg machine like Pee-Wee's morning! LOL It would apply even tension though.
Maybe tie weights to the netting to keep the plants from pushing it up. Those jokers may lift the whole screen assembly!

Yeah my bubba and sour kush both started like that. Actually the sour is just now starting to branch out after a series of trimming the hob cap sized leaved that she puts out. I had a similar accedent as well, my light fell on bubba and trimmed about 2-3 branches off her. She grew after that like it never happened, after that she exploded with new growth. Just give her some time and some attention and she will reward you with a full screen.

Yeah my bubba and sour kush both started like that. Actually the sour is just now starting to branch out after a series of trimming the hob cap sized leaved that she puts out. I had a similar accedent as well, my light fell on bubba and trimmed about 2-3 branches off her. She grew after that like it never happened, after that she exploded with new growth. Just give her some time and some attention and she will reward you with a full screen.

Yeah it is hard to find where the missing parts came from already. Just sucking down the nutrients and water now. Shouldn't be too much longer until I go to flower.

Hey Munki,

My buddy has lug nuts from his car hung on some of his branches like Christmas ornaments to get the plant to spread out, Looks like it works. If he needs more weight, he just adds more weight to it or scoots it farther out on the limb. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom