My First Grow

Wow Bendog, you are really taking the ball and running with it, great job man. Dowg, we need to measure the res temp and turn the pump on and off by that temp, not the refer's temp.

You may be on to something there with the stat, keep digging in there, I think you'll come up with something great.

A couple other thoughts. Do we just lay the coil of poly line in the fridge or would placing it in a bucket of water in the fridge be more efficient. How long will the poly line be, is 50' adequate or will you need 100'.

One nice thing about the mini frdge is the cost, you can pick up a new one for $100, but I bet you could pick one up off Craig's list for $25 or $50.

thanks alot man,i get alot of good help on here so im gonna try and return te favor.drilling inflow and outflow holes through the top or sides,securing(caulking)the pipes in the top,lead the outflow to the fridge in a metal bucket(res) pump,pumps cold water through the coil and back through the inflow to the bucket.mabey finding one that is ALMOST an exact fit would be great(make sure you have enough tubing in the fridge to pull the bucket out if need be)..really on the tubing im not sure yet let me look and ill get back to you (remember wider tubing means we might need a bigger water tank)

thanks alot man,i get alot of good help on here so im gonna try and return te favor.drilling inflow and outflow holes through the top or sides,securing(caulking)the pipes in the top,lead the outflow to the fridge in a metal bucket(res) pump,pumps cold water through the coil and back through the inflow to the bucket.mabey finding one that is ALMOST an exact fit would be great(make sure you have enough tubing in the fridge to pull the bucket out if need be)..really on the tubing im not sure yet let me look and ill get back to you (remember wider tubing means we might need a bigger water tank)

Yes, the 1/4" wil carry a lot less water than the 3/8". But the diference is minimal for the quantites we're talking about. But when you consider heat transfer, since the 1/4 carries a lot less water the heat will transfer better since it will have less mass, but will the small line have too much friction reducing the water flow rates. Testing may be the only answer.

A thermostat you say, sounds exciting. Sorry, but I have to admit, I just met with a dispensary owner to discuss a professional relationship and I'm thoroughly relaxed right now.

Yes, the 1/4" wil carry a lot less water than the 3/8". But the diference is minimal for the quantites we're talking about. But when you consider heat transfer, since the 1/4 carries a lot less water the heat will transfer better since it will have less mass, but will the small line have too much friction reducing the water flow rates. Testing may be the only answer.

A thermostat you say, sounds exciting. Sorry, but I have to admit, I just met with a dispensary owner to discuss a professional relationship and I'm thoroughly relaxed right now.

if you can get the pump setting right it should be in there just long enough to cause a temp change,getting the coil to stay bound might give a problem but im sure u will come up with somthing,wat style res are you using,the tubaware style or buckets? are we talking mabey a multiple bucket cooler??mabey what we could do is add a water pressure regulator inbetween the pump and each bucket to make highflow at the start but it would gradualy slow down as it goes through each coil then into the return,(just a thought)..we have to get this part to make the thermo work though,Greenhouse Controls - Thermostat Controllers from ACF Greenhouses.we need the T110 Single Stage Thermostat ..ITS NOT submersible but im making a diy thread on how to make a water thermo from an air thermo that should work with it (mabey need a little soldiering skill).,unless you want to test it first dont get it until i make the thread,i have to take it apart and make sure everything will match up right the way i think it will..
HNI_0086.JPG

if you can get the pump setting right it should be in there just long enough to cause a temp change,getting the coil to stay bound might give a problem but im sure u will come up with somthing,wat style res are you using,the tubaware style or buckets? are we talking mabey a multiple bucket cooler??mabey what we could do is add a water pressure regulator inbetween the pump and each bucket to make highflow at the start but it would gradualy slow down as it goes through each coil then into the return,(just a thought)..we have to get this part to make the thermo work though,Greenhouse Controls - Thermostat Controllers from ACF Greenhouses.we need the T110 Single Stage Thermostat ..ITS NOT submersible but im making a diy thread on how to make a water thermo from an air thermo that should work with it (mabey need a little soldiering skill).,unless you want to test it first dont get it until i make the thread,i have to take it apart and make sure everything will match up right the way i think it will..
HNI_0086.JPG

Fortunately I've only got the one res to monitor. I've got a 27 gallon Super Box res that the pump pulls from and then a replenishing res above it on a float valve to top off the pumped res when water is used. And I agree, with a variable speed pump you could work with the heat transfer issues.

You're doing some great work here! Keep it up.

And hey, have you thought about joining the Deep Water Culture? All you need to do is add the B'head smiley to your logo, I can tell you right now you would be a fine addition to the group! I'd love to keep your skills around to help the new guys that don't catch on to things as quickly as you.

dude it would be an honor ,how do i get the smiley

dude it would be an honor ,how do i get the smiley

Go the the "user control panel" (up top under USER CP). On the left side you'll find "Edit Signature" click on it, there you will find the dialog box to write whatever you want, that's where I put the links to my grow and my little Buddhist saying of the week. To the right you'll find the smileys, click on more, scroll down to the Deep Water Culture logo and click on it, that's pretty much it.

Congratulations, probably the most important part of being a Deep Water Culture is the willingness to help others with their problems, be respectful of everyone and spread the love! We're all in this together.

Go the the "user control panel" (up top under USER CP). On the left side you'll find "Edit Signature" click on it, there you will find the dialog box to write whatever you want, that's where I put the links to my grow and my little Buddhist saying of the week. To the right you'll find the smileys, click on more, scroll down to the Deep Water Culture logo and click on it, that's pretty much it.

Congratulations, probably the most important part of being a Deep Water Culture is the willingness to help others with their problems, be respectful of everyone and spread the love! We're all in this together.

thanks man,ill do what i can,,,on the thermo -i found out that body thermos dont have the right sensor so im guessing that will have to come from a room thermo , it will take me until next week mabey to get the 35 dollar part we need unless i can find it in a hardware store (doubt it though). i hate shipping

its been a few days and the girls are getting bigger,,the little one in soil still isent looking to good still but i have high hopes ,,the oldest looks great(ill post pics in a bit)..the hydro is going smooth,3 of them have their first roots through the net pot ,the fourth should break through tomarrow hopefully,im using my home made water thermo and it syncs with my floating thermo everytime i check,,but thats all the news i have for now.ill have those pics in a bit .:bong:

ok well im back today with the pics,,this is of the water thermo in work..
HNI_0005.JPG

it has been in the res ever since i finished it,,here are the babies,(i only took pics of 3 because the other doesent have roots popping through the net pot yet,looks great just slow)
HNI_0013.JPG
HNI_0010.JPG
HNI_0011.JPG

here are the roots
HNI_0014.JPG
HNI_0015.JPG
HNI_00161.JPG

here is the oldest in soil
HNI_0026.JPG
HNI_0024.JPG

and here is the youngest,she is getting better finally,her leaves arent curling anymore,they look like they are rising a little bit
HNI_00211.JPG

well i dont have much more right now,so i guess if you have any comments please post..ill be back

well here are a few more pics not much change,
HNI_00351.JPG
HNI_00341.JPG

she really seems to be thriving
HNI_00321.JPG

i just transfered the youngest potted to bubbles ,i pulled her roots through but as of now its too dark on my tank to get a pic but the forth baby finally has her roots through,i was wondering why 3 of them already had 2-3 roots coming out of the nets and she didnt have any,so i pulled her out and she had a thick wad of tiny roots that were to thick to get out of the net holes so i cut a hole in the bottom of the net and gently worked them through
HNI_00371.JPG

here is what it looks like now,
HNI_00381.JPG

the transplanted one should perk back up hopefully ..ill be back tomarrow with more pics so stay tuned

well it is 5/30/10 ,and here are the girls
HNI_00332.JPG
HNI_00342.JPG
HNI_00362.JPG
HNI_00372.JPG
HNI_00382.JPG

the 2 in front are getting bigger everyday,here are the roots,
HNI_00411.JPG
HNI_00421.JPG

and the back 2
HNI_0043.JPG
HNI_00441.JPG

here is the dirty girl
HNI_00481.JPG

just did a res change yesterday,let the roots dry for about 10-15 min while i added nutes and got the ph right,they grew another full set of leaves and started another set overnight,,but thats all i got for now,,peace:bong:

well im in week 3-4 of veg and here are the girls
HNI_00652.JPG
HNI_00661.JPG
HNI_00681.JPG
HNI_0071.JPG
HNI_00741.JPG

here are the roots
HNI_0076.JPG
HNI_0077.JPG
HNI_0078.JPG
HNI_0080.JPG
HNI_0075.JPG

now here is the oldest in soil,,i accidently over fed her but i super flushed the soil and she grew more,the leaves dont seem as crispy any more,,i think the spots are because of the same reason,anyways she is doing better
HNI_00911.JPG
HNI_00941.JPG
HNI_00931.JPG
HNI_00921.JPG
HNI_00971.JPG

,but thats all i have on the girls for now ,.drop some comments please

Nice plants m8, i have that yellowing on my bottom leaves too and dont understand what to do about it so please drop it down when youve found a solution to it, im subbed btw, check out my grow journal too i got a few the size of yours(about).

U are overwatering they are droopy quit misting bro. Change res once a week and add water to res as needed. Any leaf damage is due to the lights cooking the water on the leaves and the lower the leaves the longer you have been doing it, they will die. Ease up a bit Bendog and they will be just fine.

U are overwatering they are droopy quit misting bro. Change res once a week and add water to res as needed. Any leaf damage is due to the lights cooking the water on the leaves and the lower the leaves the longer you have been doing it, they will die. Ease up a bit Bendog and they will be just fine.

i change the res once a week and give them an air bath every other day,i mist them every time i go in so i will stop thanks man,i didnt know how much to mist

Back
Top Bottom