1 Plant DIY Recirculating DWC Test

Its been a long time since I recorded in the journals but this new grow test has got me kinda excited so I wanted to show it in journal style. This is a grow test using my newest diy. I made it big to be able to grow out mother plants when I decide to retire the strain and bring in new blood. At the moment I have no mothers so the grow test will be a plant from seed.
But first let me explain the machine and how it works.

1p_diy_dwc_001.JPG

I am using 2 27gallon totes, I chose these for there strong sidewalls and recessed lid plus they were on sale and cheap. 1 and 1/4 pvc pipe connects the two totes using replacement 1 1/4 grommets I got from the hydro store. They are replacent grommets from general hydroponics part number 4167. The pump is a utility mag5 which delivers a true 500gallons per hour. I connected the pump to the pvc using a bunch of reducers I got from the hardware store.

1p_diy_dwc_002.JPG

The left tote is where the plant goes and the right tote is the controller and extended resevoir to make waterheight and waterchanges easier. A 10 inch basket is being used to hold the medium becaused I use a ebb n grow multibucket system for my mums and it will make transplanting easier.

A duel airpump is being used with 2 check valves and 2 4ft fexible airstones.

1p_diy_dwc_003.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_005.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_004.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_006.JPG

The airpump blows small bubbles under the plant's basket and the waterpump sucks water from the tote the plant basket is in and pushes it through a waterchiller then into the controller/secondary resevoir. Gravity pushes water back into tote with plant basket.

1p_diy_dwc_009.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_008.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_010.JPG

There is alot of DO (disolved oxygen) in this water. The float valve is to control waterheight using a external resevoir. This option is not really needed but was added for when I want to do a multiplant grow using kittylitter buckets.

So what do you think? Looks good? I have seen similar setups that were capable of growing small trees with enough time and enough light.

This grow is going to be a good one.

I use the same totes for my res as well, great piece of gear and cost is right. You could throw another one in there and have two trees growing.

I am using the same grommets on mine for the return line and they work great and are cheap compared to bulk heads or uniseals.

Shoot me the link to your grow journal when you get it up.

:popcorn:

whatever strain ur putting in that, DONT LEAVE IT ALONE. Couple days itll be coming out of your attic window. 27 gallons of roots, my goodness. well, keep that water temp in check and I cant wait to see what happens here.

This is the journal and we are about to do a time warp.

About 2 months ago I germed a few seed. 8 confidential cheese, 3 pineapple express, and 1 sage plant.

04837.JPG

The 8 cheese went to a different grow, the sage would be put in the diy dwc and the 3 pineapple express will be grown in a ebb n gro around the dwc. The cheese went on time but because of life things fell way behind schedule. Because of personal reasons, the build, finishing a big grow test, and equipment failure I went a month and 2 weeks behind schedule.

The personal reasons are personal, the build was delayed because of a busy work schedule. The finishing of a 1 1000w bulb test needed taken care of.

hangdrysatelite_t2.JPG

The equipment failure was a timer and a 600w digi ballast. I have had bad luck with digis and went back to a mag switchable. I even had a new bulb failure, that one pissed me off.

1p_diy_dwc_019.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_021.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_020.JPG

A pic of the plants 1 month and 12 days in veg in the megagarden. 2 days after this pic was the transplant into the machines.

1p_diy_dwc_011.JPG

The water is rodi. The nutes is dynagro grow @ 7 ml per gal. Dynagrow Protek 2.5ml per gal. 1ml nitrozyme. The chiller is being used on the dwc only and is set at 68f. There are 3 600w lights. They are timered so only 2 lights are on at a time.

The 18hr light schedule.

Lt 1
7pm on, 10pm off, 12am on, 4 am off, 6am on, 10am off. Total hrs on 11.

Lt 2
8pm on, 12am off, 2:30am on, 6am off, 8am on, 11:30 off. Total hrs on 11.

Lt 3
10pm on, 2am off, 4am on, 8am off, 10am on, 1pm off. Total hrs on 11.

003638.JPG

After day 3 I notice the plant wilting in the dwc. The basket is too big and the rootball is not close enough in the medium to get a ample supply of water. The problem is solved by adding drippers until there is enough root in the water.

1p_diy_dwc_0141.JPG

1p_diy_dwc_0151.JPG

Plant pic at day 2

1p_diy_dwc_0171.JPG

Day 13 in machine I drain the resevoir, fill with water, add 1.5 ml per gal bushmaster, 5ml per gal botanical calmag, 2.5 ml per gal protek.

I'm switching to flower mode.
12 hr light schedule.

lt1 7pm on, 9pm off, 9:30pm on 1:30 am off 2:30am on, 5:30am off.
lt2 7pm on, 9:30pm off, 11pm on, 3am off, 4:30am on, 7am off.
lt3 8:30pm on, 11:30pm off, 12:30am on, 4:30am off, 5am on, 7am off.
Each light is on for 9 hrs.

004604.JPG

Holy time-warp batman! Looks like you had a great harvest on your last grow. Was that from your wall-o-buds grow (which I voted for on POTM by-the-way)? Are you going to reload that bad-boy and start another journal on that too?

That is one crazy lighting schedule, ar you doing that to save electricity, reduce heat, just experiment with a different process? All of the above?

How did that trimpro work for you? I am considering buying one in the future. My last grow was just at the limit of my hand-trimming patience level.

Yup, wall of buds. I voted for Muggles. That room is 100f plus during the summer. Consider that project shelved. Still need to take down the bella for the final number.
The weird light schedule is because of heat. My ac cools well with 2 lights but slowly climbs into the low to mid 80s. Growing in the summer is not easy. The dwc can stand the higher temps because of the chiller but the ebb works best at good room temp. I would prefer all 3 blazing 12 hours each.
The trimpro is a true time saver but your have to still go over it with a pair a snips for that fine candy look. Pricy but you only have to buy it once.

Update. Day 3 in flower.
Drained dwc and ebb, flushed with foxfarm sledgehammer for 1hr45min and drain again, add water, 7ml per gal dynagro bloom, 2.5ml per gallon dynagro protek, 2.5ml per gal foxfarm microbrew. Reset ph to 5.7.
No pic.

Nice mom station MR Smith :) Cant believe you took down that pvc rack :( i plan on doing 3- 5" tubes in a rack. But ? is what size is your chiller and who makes it ? that s my next purchase and want to get the best bang for the buck. I ve seen the 1/10 hp ones and dont know if it will cut it ? my resv is 30 some gal (same tote as u have ur mom in) well i was gonna add a second tote for my ro to fill vs the tiny 3.2 g tank it came with. SO looking to cool 40-60 gal. Any ideas ?

Here are some pics of day 9 in flower.
Group
1p_dwc_gT_d9_f_r_group.JPG

sage in middle
1p_dwc_gT_d9_f_r_sage.JPG

1p_dwc_gT_d9_f_r_root.JPG

pineapple express on the left
1p_dwc_gT_d9_f_r_lt_pineap.JPG

pineapple express in the back
1p_dwc_gT_d9_f_r_bck_pineap.JPG

pineapple express on the right
1p_dwc_gT_d9_f_r_rt_pineap.JPG

Day 10 is today
waterchange
dynagro bloom at 9ml per gal
dynagro protek at 2.5ml per gal
foxfarm kangaroo rootdrench at 2.5ml per gal
drippers were turned off day 8 and removed day 10, its now dwc only

The left and back pineapple express is between 26 and 27 inches tall. The right pineapple express is 22 inches and the center sage is 22 inches tall. The measurement was from the top of the medium(hydrotron) to the highest point of the plant. All plants are well over 2foot wide. The ph is stable at 5.8ph. The ppm is 730ebb and 750dwc. I am RODI water that measures between 7 and 10ppm. Room temp low is 70f and room temp high is 89f. Humidity is 55%. I have 4 heat spike times when all 3 bulbs are burning, 3 half hour periods and one 1 hour period. The foxfarm microbrew, kangaroots, and sledgehammer are new to me. This is my 3rd time using dynagro nutes but I have used the protek for over 2 years. The bushmaster really works well and really makes the plants flower right away. The weather here is extremely hot.

Bare vert, DWC, 5 stars! I love seeing PE featured in your grows, Mr Smith.
This summer's heat has me merely maintaining moms. Restart soon ;)
Many ripe colas at once is daunting, so I'm scheming a one-a-day SOG plan:
49 pots fit in my one-meter tent, and 7 weeks is enough to finish PE(mostly).
Every day, every process, once. I'll need to start a new journal, thanks for yours :)

Back
Top Bottom