My first grow...

StuntmanMike

So I'm about to start my first grow attempt, I've sent for some "Blue Rhino" seeds ((White Widow x Afghani) x Blueberry) and I'm building a cabinet within a closet I've built. It's in a garage type structure, and I've framed in a corner about 6'x9', insulated+drywalled the walls, and ran a few power outlets. I also put in a door with a lock. From outside of the rooms it just looks like a couple closets; there are closets just like these in the main garage as well. I'd use those but they're up front and this is hidden in back. I am going to vent and intake the air from inside the garage, because once I pull my car out I can close it all up and nobody will be able to see ANYTHING :smokin:

Here is how the place currently looks
1018080001tj8.jpg

Still has some work to go, right now I'm just finishing that room on the right, then building a cabinet into that. I'll grow a few plants from seed to harvest in that cabinet, then later on if/when I want, I can build another cab for seedlings, the first cab for veg, and use the other room for flowering.

Here's what I'm thinking for a cab and how to ventilate it
diagram1xh2.jpg

That's if I were to do a 2nd, smaller cab up top, but I'm thinkin just making the taller cab and use that one. How tall should it be to take them all the way to harvest? The cabs will be 3'x3', how many plants should fit in that kinda space? I am going to LST the plants (SOG) to keep them as short as possible. The site I bought the seeds from says the plants should yield 2.5-3 ounces, 9 weeks of flowering. If using a 400w light (MH for veg, HPS for flower), would it be possible to get that kind of yield? I am also considering putting some CFLs on the sides and back of the inside of the cab to provide light for the plants as seedlings, as well as supplemental light to the HID.

As far as lighting, I can get a 400w setup with both HPS and MH bulbs, digital ballast, and an air-cooled reflector for $300 from the local hydoponic store. Is this a good deal? It's name brand stuff, I'm not sure if I want to save a little money and get the cheap no-name stuff off the internet (and paying for shipping), or if I want to spend more and have quality stuff off the bat...money is kinda tight so $300 is a lot of money to drop at once...

Anyways that's what I've got, hopefully I can get some answers to my questions :smokin:

This looks pretty good man. You selling that cherry picker? lol I'm in the market for one myself, got a 4g63 swap dying to get done!

i'm not sure what brand the light is, but the guy said they're brand names for everything (not cheap China crap). I emailed the seedbank asking about yield and they said some have approximated the advertised yields with lights smaller than 1k w (the advertised yield is with 1k w HID, i'll be using 400w). how tall should i build the cabinet? 4'? 5'?

I got my seeds today, and I bought the lumber for the cabinet. Can someone please give some input on how tall to make the cabinet?? I'm thinking about putting the air-cooled reflector on the top of the cabinet, and cut a hole for the light to shine in. I'm thinking this will be my best bet to keep the cabinet short, as well as keep temps down, ya? I can figure out a way to move the plants closer or further from the light, I've already got ideas for that.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'd like to start germinating ASAP but I won't do so until the cabinet is built...

oh and I decided to do one box right now so it'll look like this
diagram1.JPG

Ok, so you know you can go shorter on your cabinet. If you could build it as tall as ya want, I'd say about 4-5' just to be safe... IMO. You could always go smaller, too, but the plants may require more maintenance if they get too tall.

okay make the cabinet 8 ft tall....shit too late...just kidding... you can grow in whatever size you have ive seen grows inside computer cases and whole room setups so 5 feet is what you have to work with. what size fan and ducting are you using and what size motor are you working on there. are you going to have one cabinet or are you going to have a smaller cabinet for clones to get ready so you can cycle them? strains sound yummy.. where are you venting to? and how are you keeping it cool? ac?

okay make the cabinet 8 ft tall....shit too late...just kidding... you can grow in whatever size you have ive seen grows inside computer cases and whole room setups so 5 feet is what you have to work with. what size fan and ducting are you using and what size motor are you working on there. are you going to have one cabinet or are you going to have a smaller cabinet for clones to get ready so you can cycle them? strains sound yummy.. where are you venting to? and how are you keeping it cool? ac?

I'm going to use 6" fans from Home Depot if they've got them (inline booster fans), the hood will probably be vented out of the room into the main garage area, with the intake just sucking in from the room. The cab will be vented the same way. The room will have intake vents to allow in air from the garage.

As for other cabs, I want to eventually be able to have separate veg/flower cabs, but at this point it's just get everything set up and do a grow from seed, possibly cut clones if I get females (and possibly make some more seeds if I get both m/f).

I framed into the wall a space to perfectly fit my window AC I have in my room. Obviously it's getting cooler so not only will I not need it in my room, I probably won't even need it for the grow room. I plan on lighting the cab 18/6 to veg, and I can set it to be off during the hottest 6 hours of the day so when the light is on, cooler air is being sucked in. Also, since I've isolated the light from the cab and will be air-cooling it, I imagine my temps will be easier to keep low. I could wire in thermostats to the fan(s) so that they don't make it too cold inside. When I flower, the lights will be on at night and off during the day, so if/when I grow during the summer I don't have to worry too much about high temps. Right now it's 67 and raining, it gets down to freezing on some nights and up well over 100 during the summer, but I'm not too worried. Any temp issues will be easily solved

I've germinated some seeds, I planted three Blue Rhino and a bagseed at first, the three BR have germinated but the bagseed hasn't. I planted a 4th BR seed on the same little germination soil plug thing so hopefully at least one of them pops. Here are the pics of the three to sprout so far. The first two I noticed popped on Tuesday (11-4), the third I noticed on Thursday (11-6).

IMG_9861_Medium_.JPG

IMG_9862_Medium_.JPG

IMG_9863_Medium_.JPG

I also bought a 500cfm 8" inline fan from Home Depot, I'm going to see if I can rig up a system so that the fan sucks air from the room into the cab, through a DIY carbon scrubber, into the light hood and back outside of the room. If it's not sufficient I can always change it up. Right now the cabinet, with the light on and no ventilation at all, stays around 95*. I'm sure the fan will be able to help with temps at least a little bit (the room stays 60-75 with no ventilation, outside goes from ~50 at night right now to mid-70s during the day)

Back
Top Bottom