My First Journal, Kanno 26: I Will Grow 6 Critical Plants From Royal Queen Seeds

one simple simple trick to keep them healthy is get them up off the ground. get some air space underneath them. your root zone temps are what keep the plant healthy.

lifting the plants just helps keep the whole thing at an even temp. helps with drainage too.
Thanks for the @bluter tip, I'm sure I'll think about it will be best some frame so they aren't on the ground.

Thanks for the @bluter tip, I'm sure I'll think about it will be best some frame so they aren't on the ground.

there are pot elevators normally available cheap. i've got mine on adjustable shelving units.

there are pot elevators normally available cheap. i've got mine on adjustable shelving units.
Or even an upside down pot or bucket underneath will work, especially under a net which will help with stability since they can be quite top-heavy depending on how you raise them.

Or even an upside down pot or bucket underneath will work, especially under a net which will help with stability since they can be quite top-heavy depending on how you raise them.

anything simple really. why spend money when there's piles of stuff around.

Thanks to @Verbalist, that sounds good, so you say the smaller the temperature difference, the smaller the stem elongation?
@Vebalist knows his stuff. I tried this time on the Apple Blossom doing the temps exactly as he says here. I didn't do it to minimize the stretch, because I didn't know that at the time I made the decision. But I usually go real cold at night as you suggested in the beginning you would. With the AB I decided to try keeping the day and night temps a lot closer. I'd say I average around 78 degrees by day and around 72 at night. Small difference. And you know what? EXACTLY what he said is what happened. The stretch was far less than I expected. Frankly I hoped for a bit more, so I have to experiment some more, but he's right on here.

Damn @Kanno26, I'm jealous. I read through your journal and I'm astounded at the amount of good advice you're getting from people (not me) who actually know stuff!!! It's really cool to watch. I wish I used the site and met people and got into asking for help like you have as quickly and effectively as you did, if I had my second grow scrog attempt might not have gone hermie on me!!!!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

@Vebalist knows his stuff. I tried this time on the Apple Blossom doing the temps exactly as he says here. I didn't do it to minimize the stretch, because I didn't know that at the time I made the decision. But I usually go real cold at night as you suggested in the beginning you would. With the AB I decided to try keeping the day and night temps a lot closer. I'd say I average around 78 degrees by day and around 72 at night. Small difference. And you know what? EXACTLY what he said is what happened. The stretch was far less than I expected. Frankly I hoped for a bit more, so I have to experiment some more, but he's right on here.

not sure i'd go chasing that. but it sure sounds like fun.

unless you're growing the same genetics constant over multiple grows , that would be pretty hard to confirm. in cooler temps most plants tend to slow and stay more compact, as it preserves heat.

This is what the girls in the net look like, and when they get bigger I have one more net;) I still have to find something to put under them.
IMG_20220324_115539.jpg

not sure i'd go chasing that. but it sure sounds like fun.

unless you're growing the same genetics constant over multiple grows , that would be pretty hard to confirm. in cooler temps most plants tend to slow and stay more compact, as it preserves heat.
You could google for manicbotanix article how to reduce stretch in hydroponics for more detailed information.
Can’t tell how much equal or negative DIF has an overall effect on the elongation. But from my own experience, i can say that it definitely helps. And looks like Jon has ran some experiments as well with pleasant results.

It is related to the respiration and carbon dioxide and oxygen releasing. The more plant photosynthesis during the day, the more carbon dioxide it releases during the night. So managing DIF would be the easiest, safest and prob most effective way to reduce the stretch.

in cooler temps most plants tend to slow and stay more compact, as it preserves heat.
Can’t see why that’d be in any way more sensible method to try to reduce the stretch?
Having constantly lower temp requires lower RH if you don’t want to throw the VPD fuck out. And you obv want to maintain decent VPD during the lights on for the best possible transpiration which leads for better photosynthesis.

Second way to reduce the stretch is to understand what each nutrient component does for plant roots.
For example Phosphorus and types of Nitrogen (ammoniacal) promotes more vertical root growth when Auxin concentartion is low.
D7E95537-202A-4D91-ACC5-3A013D5FC7CB.png

When you get more lateral root growth it shows up on the plant as less space between nodes and less stem- and leaf stem elongation. And promotes more lateral growth above the ground (new shoot growth)

And not tryna tell anyone what to do. Just mentioned about it (DIF) as it looks to be one of the most effective way to reduce the stretch.

This is what the girls in the net look like, and when they get bigger I have one more net;) I still have to find something to put under them.
IMG_20220324_115539.jpg
Ha! I have the same net. Wow @Kanno26. By the time these girls stretch you could fill this whole net if you wanted to and have a scrog! The plants look amazing. GREAT job. When you find something to put them up on, since you have pots with a square base and then those trays around them, a round bucket is probably not the best call. A pair of matching benches, one for each two on the sides, and then use whatever to raise the middle plant to the same height might work well, but how many of us have a set of matching benches the right height? All I'm suggesting is to be careful when you do it, and make sure to pick something that fully supports both the plant and the tray. It's obvious I guess, but infrastructure's big. And damn your tent is clean. What a gorgeous sight. I love clean.

Ha! I have the same net. Wow @Kanno26. By the time these girls stretch you could fill this whole net if you wanted to and have a scrog! The plants look amazing. GREAT job. When you find something to put them up on, since you have pots with a square base and then those trays around them, a round bucket is probably not the best call. A pair of matching benches, one for each two on the sides, and then use whatever to raise the middle plant to the same height might work well, but how many of us have a set of matching benches the right height? All I'm suggesting is to be careful when you do it, and make sure to pick something that fully supports both the plant and the tray. It's obvious I guess, but infrastructure's big. And damn your tent is clean. What a gorgeous sight. I love clean.
You're right @Jon, I'm going to have to find five of the same stable things and make them last.

You could google for manicbotanix article how to reduce stretch in hydroponics for more detailed information.
Can’t tell how much equal or negative DIF has an overall effect on the elongation. But from my own experience, i can say that it definitely helps. And looks like Jon has ran some experiments as well with pleasant results.

It is related to the respiration and carbon dioxide and oxygen releasing. The more plant photosynthesis during the day, the more carbon dioxide it releases during the night. So managing DIF would be the easiest, safest and prob most effective way to reduce the stretch.

Can’t see why that’d be in any way more sensible method to try to reduce the stretch?
Having constantly lower temp requires lower RH if you don’t want to throw the VPD fuck out. And you obv want to maintain decent VPD during the lights on for the best possible transpiration which leads for better photosynthesis.

Second way to reduce the stretch is to understand what each nutrient component does for plant roots.
For example Phosphorus and types of Nitrogen (ammoniacal) promotes more vertical root growth when Auxin concentartion is low.
D7E95537-202A-4D91-ACC5-3A013D5FC7CB.png

When you get more lateral root growth it shows up on the plant as less space between nodes and less stem- and leaf stem elongation. And promotes more lateral growth above the ground (new shoot growth)

And not tryna tell anyone what to do. Just mentioned about it (DIF) as it looks to be one of the most effective way to reduce the stretch.

even gentically cannabis has developed so the stockier compact plants, with short internodal length, thrive in cooler climates. - indica.

skinnier taller plants with greater internodal length are acclimated to hotter geography. - sativa. sativas can actually survive a greater temperature range and daily differential. most indicas come from places with fewer temp swings but cooler over all temps.

I have some girls that are mid/late flowering, so I wanna use cool temps and low humidity to encourage trich development.

When the lights turn the tents are opened, turn-on the humidifier, and close up the room.

My tent was down to 12.5 C last night at closing and 14.8 C at opening, & humidity at @ 52.

Three hours later 26.3 C and 37 H.

Tonight the outside temps are going down to 4 C, so I am tempted to leave the door(s) open/tents closed overnight.

That could get my inside temp down to around 9 C.

Hi, have a nice Saturday. Today, my 5 Critical is two days from switching to 12/12 and two dy from topping and they look great, so here are the photos before and after the net capture. Thanks to everyone for your insight and advice. ;)
IMG_20220326_102950.jpg
IMG_20220326_102953.jpg
IMG_20220326_102955.jpg
IMG_20220326_103000.jpg
IMG_20220326_103005.jpg
IMG_20220326_103320.jpg
IMG_20220326_103325.jpg
IMG_20220326_103329.jpg
IMG_20220326_103626.jpg
IMG_20220326_103630.jpg
Just absolutely fantastic work, @Kanno26. You are set up so sweetly for flower. Very impressive. And way to maintain the consistent cleanliness of your tent!

Nice work, there @Kanno26 . :thumb:

After the flip, many growers like to wait until after the stretch (often a week or two) and then do a little more defoliating to help increase air flow to the main cola's and get rid of anything, below the net in your case, that isn't going to see the light very well. Those lower branches often don't end up producing much more than what's called larf, which are small airy buds which are a pain to trim and don't produce much end result.

Many growers feel it's better to trim those off so the plant can redirect the energy and hormones that would have been wasted on the larf to instead help bulk up the main buds.

Something to think about over the next week or so.

After the flip, many growers like to wait until after the stretch (often a week or two) and then do a little more defoliating to help increase air flow to the main cola's and get rid of anything, below the net in your case, that isn't going to see the light very well. Those lower branches often don't end up producing much more than what's called larf, which are small airy buds which are a pain to trim and don't produce much end result.

Many grows feel its better to trim those off so the plant can redirect the energy and hormones that would have been wasted on the larf to instead help bulk up the main buds.

Extremely well stated.

Many grows feel its better to trim those off so the plant can redirect the energy and hormones that would have been wasted on the larf to instead help bulk up the main buds.

Thanks to @Jon, @Azimuth, I thought it was better not to cut after flipping. Or am I afraid I'm afraid of hermaphrodites? Or do I have to do it next week?

Thanks to @Jon, @Azimuth, I thought it was better not to cut after flipping. Or am I afraid I'm afraid of hermaphrodites? Or do I have to do it next week?
I always defoliate after I flip. It's never not been necessary. I usually strip the undercarriage (what Azi meant by your "under the net" growth in the previous post) over a few weeks before I flip, and do an upper defol around 3 weeks into flower. Curious to hear how others respond.

Back
Top Bottom