New City Grower 3.0 - Sponsored by Twilight Group Co. - Featuring the Spider9 COB LED

Re: New City Grower 3.0 - Sponsored by Twilight Group Co. - Featuring the Spider9 COB

Happy Daze Reg......i have noticed that the stems i have LSTd will turn purple on the side facing the light......not just LSTd ones but they seem to stick out more.....this is on several girls of mine.......somebody on here said that it had to do with the leds.......in fact Bobrown was growing under hps but had a marsll 900 turned on its side giving side lighting and his stems on that side turned purple but he didnt have a defficiency either that i remember.....anyhow......i believe the leds cause some purpling as to how they do on mine.....literally the part of the stem facing away from light is green:)lol

I've noticed that it's only one side of the stems too. I think you're on to something!

Re: New City Grower 3.0 - Sponsored by Twilight Group Co. - Featuring the Spider9 COB

So assuming that purpling can be unavoidable on some strains under LEDs, what other evidence is there that plants under them need extra calcium or magnesium? I've read post by enough members asking what scientific proof is there supporting this theory. So far KJC has given the best answer in my opinion with the different spectrum playing a major roll but has anyone bloomed under LEDs without supplementing extra Cal/Mag? What were the results?

Brotha all mp plants bloom under led's with no cal/mag added
only use it in veg unless I notice a deficiency but I think I only added any calmag on one plant in bloom
also I do use tap straight from the pipe and we do have calcium buildup so might be why I rarely get calcium deficiencies
but im not real sure if the calcium buildup means theres calcium in the water and maybe it helps?

I switched to coco & LED when I joined here & I've always added cal-mag+ at 1.25ml/L. I've recently switched to RO water & Ive noticed two plants in flower are suffering with brown spots & most have got red stems. I've obviously lost the calcium in my water but it shows the nutes don't have enough cal-mag to keep them happy.
My previous soil & HPS grows never saw cal-mag, ever.

So assuming that purpling can be unavoidable on some strains under LEDs, what other evidence is there that plants under them need extra calcium or magnesium? I've read post by enough members asking what scientific proof is there supporting this theory. So far KJC has given the best answer in my opinion with the different spectrum playing a major roll but has anyone bloomed under LEDs without supplementing extra Cal/Mag? What were the results?
My second grow was under LED for the last month of flowering .. no extra cal or mag supplied, no deficiencies at all.

The last grow is when I started using it so all of them before were without cal/mag.... I don't know how much of it is genetics... especially with this grow all being purple or blue something so it is really hard to tell what is genetics or deficiency so I just give it to them anyhow.... It doesn't seem to hurt in anyway and I've never had a problem with it being to much.....:circle-of-love:

And if my memory serves me correct Fifi, your last grow was your best to date.

SPIDER GIRL I & II
both were feed today from a mix of:

5ml of Cal/Mag added to 1gal of tap which was then adjusted to a PH level of 6.5

SGI Day 96 / Day 52 under 12/12
......... SGII Day 87 / Day 39 under 12/12

1422657101664.jpg
1422657262953.jpg

Happy Daze Reg......i have noticed that the stems i have LSTd will turn purple on the side facing the light......not just LSTd ones but they seem to stick out more.....this is on several girls of mine.......somebody on here said that it had to do with the leds.......in fact Bobrown was growing under hps but had a marsll 900 turned on its side giving side lighting and his stems on that side turned purple but he didnt have a defficiency either that i remember.....anyhow......i believe the leds cause some purpling as to how they do on mine.....literally the part of the stem facing away from light is green:)lol

I've noticed that it's only one side of the stems too. I think you're on to something!
After a thorough inspection I notice it's the same here.

I think one of the problems we're having nailing down the LED/CalMag-def issue is, ironically, one of our strengths: diversity! Whereas light of X-nm is a constant, tap water in Hawai'i is not the same as in Leeds or Tokyo. Wish this was a solution, but it seems like more of the problem.

My Black Widow #1 required more calcium and magnesium than my Black Widow #2 or #3 and developed a calcium deficiency until I increased the amount of calcium and magnesium supplement from 5 milliliters to 8-10 milliliters per gallon when grown under LED light panels. My plants previously grown under High Intensity Discharge Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium lights never required calcium and magnesium supplementation with my pH adjusted tap water. Water mineral content varies by geography so some people may be able to grow cannabis plants without calcium and magnesium supplementation when grown under LED light panels. I have found even when I have kept mother plants in vegetative growth that they may require calcium and magnesium supplementation when grown under Florescent lights with my pH adjusted tap water. Since I have began supplementing every cannabis plant with calcium and magnesium that I grow I have noticed increased vigor regardless of the illumination source.

So there you have it. Regardless of scientific proof; the testimonies of Skunny, Dennise, and KJC lead me to believe that a Cal/Mag supplement improves the health of plants under LEDs. As Ranger, Planet J, and Cronic agree it may not be necessary depending on your water supply but in the words of Fifi...
It doesn't seem to hurt in anyway and I've never had a problem with it being to much.....:circle-of-love:
Here's a copy & paste breakdown of our tap:

Ammonia: NYC Tap 0

Nitrite: NYC Tap 0

Nitrate: NYC Tap 0

pH: NYC Tap below 7.4

Alkalinity: NYC Tap dKH 1.6 meq/l 0.57 (wow, that's low!)

Magnesium: NYC Tap had no detectable level

Phosphate: NYC Tap 1.0 ppm

Calcium: 40 mg/l

I think I might try adding only Epsom Salt for Magnesium to my next feeding. Check your region if you're using tap in soil under LEDs.

SPIDER 9 UPDATE​
Jan 31, 2015​

CRITICAL SENSI STAR (feminized) Day 81 / Day 26 under 12/12

Today she was feed:

2ml of Epsom Salt added to 1gal of tap.
PH adjusting wasn't necessary as it settled at 6.8
She was also top-dressed with bone meal to replenish the Nitrogen

The Flush Feed appears to have done the trick.

IMG_00007975.jpg

IMG_00007980.jpg

She looks great!

Interesting discussion on the Ca def and purple stems.

I use RO, so I've always added CaMg. I'm reluctant to increase it, but I am probably still below the label's 'heavy' dose.

There is a potential downside. If you have a lot of Mg in the flowers, some people think it burns different. Mg does burn, and very hot. I've heard people swear that if they don't flush really good after using heavy Mg, the bud will "pop" when they smoke it. I've tried some testing myself by feeding full strength CaMg all the way to the end vs flushing. It wasn't conclusive. I did think the unflushed bud tasted more metallic, but it could be cognitive dissonance in action here. :blalol: Needless to say, I do withhold CaMg for the last week or 2.

Thanxx for the heads-up Hiker. So since SPIDER GIRL I is no more than a week at most from the finish line she'll be feed nothing more than PH adjusted tap for the duration.

Also if our tap plus Epsom Salt feed works out I'll probably try to use it every other feeding. If the Calcium in our water is sufficient it should even out.

Great discussion. So now I'm thinking "What can I feed my worm bins geared at increasing the calcium and magnesium ratios in the castings?"

I think worm castings are more for nitrogen
but im not really too much into soil I hate the bugs lol

:byebye::yummy:

Back
Top Bottom