New Grower! - 5 Gallon DWC - 184W CFL - Mystery Strain - 2014

I think the healing time won't diminish the plant, but will simply slow it down for a little while. You can get a big harvest out of her yet, I'm sure. :)

Love reading through all your updates and happenings khraevyn, great journal.
:)
I'm also in agreement with AMK, she might be slower and end up smaller but don't be to surprised if she puts up a great weight and dense bugs!

Also from what I've read 4-5 weeks a lot show maturity in sex they may be slow but when it comes to males I've had males show balls in 5weeks still under vege lighting, so I'm thinking and definately hoping that you have 2 beautiful females :thumb:

F@@@@@CK!!!! Once again, I am so not the patient kind. I was checking the babies out to see if I could find any hairs or anything. didn't find any and was bending the tops back down when I cracked it. Right in the crotch where the tops meet the main stalk. Taped it up real quick and seems to be okay, but damn it all!!!! I think she'll be okay though. It's the same plant I broke last time, so she should be used to the abuse by now. But, she is also shorter than the other one by almost 5" and I have a feeling breaking it caused it to not grow so much so it could heal. Oh well, only time will tell. I am gonna have to be more gentle with my babies from now on. The last thing I need is them getting sick cause I won't leave them alone.

~K~:volcano-smiley::Namaste:

NOOO!!! Not again :(
Since your doing the screen Id leave the training alone for now.

Your ppm are higher than mine considering that lb for lb I have much more plant than you even tho its just one (if you haven't seen it in a while.go take a look) so I would say you plants are very good eaters. Some plants are hard to burn, other plants are hard not to burn.

Im sorry about your pain situation, thats a downer. I hope you can get that squared away as soon as possible. I feel your pain about the prices, thats why I started growing my own in the first place. Its.not legal here so i pay 300 an oz for descent bud....It must be nice to live in washington or some place thats legalized. I would move but this is my home and I refuse to let unjust laws control the way I live my life. Plus I want to be on the front line of the distribution growers when it finally does go legal. :thumb:

Theres lots of ways to scrog, the only thing I can suggest is to build it so that the lid can still be removed from the bucket for cleaning and water changes in your dwc.

I would love a greenhouse so I can garden year round but I dont have the land for one. I nights get one of those 4x4x6 ones from lowes just sobi can keep a couple pepper plants going through winter. My neighbor has one and she just runs a space heater in there when its really cold outside

Happy growing buddy :peace:

Okay, so here r the pics of the last water change. It was reading 587ppm on the old water. They are really getting busy now. I did a few trims of leaves that were either deformed or in the way of the inner nodes. It is bushing up really nice, but now I wish I had only gone with one plant in the bucket. I am going to have to wack the hell out of it when I get ready to SCRoG it I think. I may just start trimming a few every couple days until I get good penetration of the light. Roots are healthy and white, no slime. I'm really glad for that since a lot of people were saying I needed a root conditioner. Maybe it's just beginner's luck, or maybe I just have a really good system. Let me know what you think and stay tuned. I feel any day now I'm gonna be able to sex them. Enjoy the pics for now and we'll see ya on the flip side.
Roots:
P10101356.JPG

Before trim:
P10101336.JPG
P10101348.JPG

After trim:
P10101368.JPG

Any ideas or suggestions as always, very welcome!!

~K~:Namaste:

Hey khraevyn
Your girls are looking absolutely stunning, from the pics its actually quite hard to tell there is to looks like one big lovely bush :)
Looks like she will be a rough time trimming and carrying light penetration but I'm sure they'll be alright!
Have you thought about beginning to scrog them now at all or just going to wait till you know the sexes? If you have the space could be worth getting them ready but everyone's different with the scrog method and I could imagine the pain to detangle any male plant parts
Don't know if your interested in it but looks like you could get a fair amount of cuttings of them aswell when scrog begins and if you plan on trimming lower growth but that's something different altogether haha
I'm glad you had no problems with the roots without conditioner, I'd say they are in good hands :)

Great growing mate, if you could snap a pic at the trunk zone is like to see it haha
Goodluck bud hoping its smooth growing from here onwards :thumb: :peace:

Heya Budlovski!! I am very happy myself with how it is progressing. I am gonna have to keep up with the trimming for sure. As far as the SCRoG goes, I was thinking it may be time as well. Once again not knowing the sex is a pain and may be a bigger headache in the end. Really the only thing holding me back is the finances. What they give you on disability is not enough to live on let alone budget in projects like this. I am a pretty frugal guy and hate to have to rob from Peter to pay Paul so to speak. Hopefully this next month I can put a little more into the grow. I have decided to quit buying my medicine for now to try and save up some money for a new light setup maybe. The prices are crazy and the quality is pretty hit and miss. One time I can get some killer stuff that just hits you hard. Then there's times it's like I'm smoking sage or oregano...lol flashback to my teen days...some of the stuff we think works when we are younger is just too funny sometimes.

Anyways, you asked for some more pics so here you go brother!! I tried to catch the tape in the pic for reference to size. Hope these are what you were wanting to see. Still no hairs, but I think that will be resolved here shortly.

My current ppm after water change:
P10101414.JPG

Ph:
P10101444.JPG

the rest:
P10101404.JPG
P10101386.JPG
P10101397.JPG
P10101377.JPG
P1010136_2_.JPG
P1010135_2_.JPG
P1010133_2_.JPG
P1010134_2_.JPG

Cheers mate didn't expect it so soon, but thankyou that's exactly what I wanted to have a lil look at :thumb:
They really are at that stage being at 12" but stick to what you want to do that's the best you can go and hasn't done you any bad so far .
I hear you on the money situation I'm not on disability but more of a dole pension kind of thing while bub is young, I believe a lot of males in the past made a mistake working through their babies young stage so I'm not keen on repeating past gen mistakes and plus I love the extra time chilling with bub but like you say it makes things hard moneywise and on the grow lil things ill be waiting a few weeks before I get it no matter how much I need it but we get by mate and look at your results so far your doing well, I always try to use stuff I have laying about also for the grows wherever I can and in the end harvest can help make up for things and supply yourself depending on situations :)
Once I got my last little harvest I did the same thing, quality was so good I got frustrated and just I quit smoking unless its a harvest of mine or a mate I have. No point putting money in other people's hands especially if they can't control the quality haha
It pays off though mate since it lowers your tolerance a bunch and the effects hit you so much better!
I hear you there mate I think me and my mate went through almost every herb in the collection one day looking for an effec, quiet hilarious to look back on haha

Thanks for the pics man those stems are looking awesome very thick and very healthy looking its an awesome job you have done with these GIRLS! Was going to say aswell that the way the are strong looking not flimsy and stretching makes me think they are girls aswell, male plants always look a lot uglier compared to fem ones I believe!

:thumb: and reps to you for responding so well with this post! :Namaste: :peace:

Looking great khraevyn! Beautiful plants and excellent posts and great info in them! :goodjob: it's always nice to be able to learn from each other's mistakes as well as successes!

Your plant is looking healthy! Good job.

If you are going to do a scrog you need to go ahead and do it as its getting the 12 inch height to start training.

KingJohnC's copy and pasted method:

When placing your ScrOG screen you should place it 12" above your pots to allow your to defoliate below the ScrOG screen and for good airflow. To create a ScrOG screen you must vegetate the plant(s) by weaving the branches through the ScrOG screen until the ScrOG screen is 60% full then switch to flower and continue to train the branches through the ScroG screen thorough the stretch phase of flowering. This will create a mostly even canopy ScrOG screen with mostly the same length colas and allow easy harvesting with a high gram per watt efficiency method of growing.

Nice! Those roots look good enough to eat. I think if you started trying to flatten everything out by tying or bending branches now, by the time your ready for scrog you shouldnt have to cut them or anything drastic. And shell keep growing just fine in the scrog so there will be lots tops right on top lol. Your anything under the screen and canopy is going to be lost anyway so you dont need to get them too even. If that makes sense.

Keep up the good work man :goodjob:

Thanks for all the awesome feedback guys!! It's been pretty interesting so far and I like the way it's progressing. I think for sure by this weekend I am going to have them in a SCRoG. Now that being said, I went and did a pretty heavy trim again. Now my thinking behind this had several factors which I will try to explain.

First, I am running into space issues. I have the 2 plants in one 5-gallon DWC and they are bushing up really well. This is causing a lot of the inner growth to stall out and not be very active in it's growth. I have seen drastic differences in the before and after growth of the inner sites following a trim. I am just allowing more light to get into the bud producing areas in the center of all the foliage.

Second, I am going with a SCRoG and that means I am going to be basically losing everything under the screen anyways. Why waste all that energy and nutes for stuff that's gonna be culled off anyways? It's also going to make it easier to train into the SCRoG without having to worry about all those extra fan leaves.

Third, I know that alot of people say not to cause it stunts the growth, but I am not finding it to be an issue. Sure it takes a day to recover, but then it explodes after. I let it go for about 2 weeks without a trim and while the fan leaves were getting nice and big, nothing else was. Every time I have defoliated, it's has caused an explosion of the inner nodes which is what I am wanting. My reasoning is this. If I have more developed bud sites before I SCRoG and put into flower, the less initial growth they will have put on. Then it can devote all the energy to stretching out the existing grow sites.

So that's where I'm at right now. I don't have any post trim pics, but the camera is charging, so I will have some in a few hour tops. I am already liking the way it looks for sure. Opened up a lot of the inner sites and I have no doubts by next week, I will be looking at totally different plants. So much of the new growth under all that fan leaf is just not getting any bigger.

All that being said, please be gentle with your replies. I know a lot of people swear by defoliating and others are adamantly against it. I think it goes back to the whole point of case specific grow methods. It depends on what your setup is and how you can maximize your results. I have been looking at the Fluxing method quite a bit and while I am not using that specific method, I think parts of it transfer well for my setup. Until I get it into the SCRoG, I am going top have to trim or they will just choke each other out. I was noticing during the trim that a lot the stems had actually become intertwined. I think this is because they are fighting for light. I don't mind if ti takes a little longer to grow as I don't know the strain so I'm kind of on natures clock so to speak. I will know when to flower when they tell me and so anything between now and then is just a guessing game. I hope you like the results and I will have pics by the end of the day. Thank you again for all your encouraging remarks and constructive criticism.

~K~:Namaste::thanks:

Okay, so here r the pics as promised. I basically just took all the fan leaves I would be trimming for the SCRoG anyways. Just for contrast I'll include a before for perspective. I love the way it looks now. Getting plenty of light to the inside now.
Above before trim:
P10101337.JPG

Above after trim:
P10101338.JPG
P101013410.JPG
P101013610.JPG

Before underside:
P1010133_2_.JPG

After underside:
P10101358.JPG

So during my trim, I noticed what I am assuming a preflower in process of coming out. What do you think. This is on the biggest of the two. I tried to highlight the area for you. I think it looks like a little ball is developing. :(
P10101387.JPG
P10101378.JPG

So that's where they are sitting right now. What do ya think?? Keep it constructive please. No drama needed. If I screwed it up then it's on me so it shouldn't upset anyone. I see some of these journals with new growers getting blasted by people with some serious anger issues. I don't mind opinions, but keep it civil.

Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a happy and safe new year. Don't drink and drive 2nite. Hope all your new year's start off right and continue to the end.

Happy New year! May all this years bud be dense and frosty!

Back
Top Bottom