New grower in small town

What is the actual draw of those 1000w lights.
@MedicGrow has a great actual 1000w bar light that's just amazing.
Would fit nicely in a 4x4.
Stay safe.
Bill
Actual draw is 120w each and each one has a 2.5 by 3ft footprint

Actual draw is 120w each and each one has a 2.5 by 3ft footprint
I had 2 600 w VS. In my small grow room and that wasn't enough power.
So 2 120w lights are no where near enough for flowering girls.
That would be ok for a veg room.
We have great sponsors so you can get a deal on a new one.
If you have the hay that @MedicGrow bar light will make you a star grower my friend.
1000 actual watts of draw, it's freeken amazing.
Stay safe.
Bill

If you have the hay that @MedicGrow bar light will make you a star grower my friend.
Stay safe.
Bill
LOL I have an old-school electric meter. If I had a 1000w draw from one source, it would smoke that poor wheel. Each light has a 1000w coming out of it but the actual power draw from the meter is 120 watts per light

LOL I have an old-school electric meter. If I had a 1000w draw from one source, it would smoke that poor wheel. Each light has a 1000w coming out of it but the actual power draw from the meter is 120 watts per light
They call it a 1000 but actually it's a 120 watt draw ,great for veg but not flower.
Sorry.
Stay safe.
Bill

Each light has a 1000w coming out of it but the actual power draw from the meter is 120 watts per light

output can't be greater than input. the 1000w you're referring to is a marketing ruse.

How many watts do I need for flower
Standard rule of thumb Is 40 watts pre square foot.
4x4=16sqft x 40 watts = 640 watts for a 4x4 tent.
In that range is is considered very good.
So half that 320 watts is the lowest for flowering.
So aim for the higher range for hard tight buds.
Stay safe.
Bill

Stay safe.
Bill
that MedicGrow light is incredible. It even has a timer on it and a little lcd screen that displays the PPF and the Watts. If I would've seen that light before I bought mine I would have definitely got that one.

Standard rule of thumb Is 40 watts pre square foot.

some of the better newer tech ones are more efficient. a good rule of thumb is 25 - 40w sq/ft. by the time you're hitting 40w sq/ft on a decent fixture you're in overkill mode. it has to be a decent rig though. there's a lot of merely avg out there.

i run 600w in a just under 4x4, but i usually run a dimmer, and generally only run 450 - 500w in flower. there's a bigger rig waiting to get used that's 650w, but i'll probably be running a dimmer on that as well.

that MedicGrow light is incredible. It even has a timer on it and a little lcd screen that displays the PPF and the Watts. If I would've seen that light before I bought mine I would have definitely got that one.

it doesn't measure the actual ppf. it uses an algorithm to determine ppf off the wattage the light pulls at any given dimming level. still a nifty option.

So pretty much all I have to do is get a couple bags of Happy frog and a couple bags of fox farm and some of that super soil concentrate, mix the ball together and water? What does the potting soil usually cost? Where can I find it?
Fox Farm soil has a wide variety of top shelf soils. Check out the website but, you can't buy direct. You can find their stuff at Amazon or your local grow shop if you have one. Super soil concentrate (SSC) is the "set-it and forget-it" soil setup. They are both available at Amazon.
If I remember correctly, directions for the SSC are something like put the concentrated stuff on the bottom 1/3 for when the plants get longer roots and can handle the nutes, a lighter mixture of soil such as a Fox Farms potting soil and SSC goes in the middle, and then on top is the soil with little or nothing in it.

My brother was using the Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil and he only fertilized once in awhile but, this can be strain dependent as some strains need more added stuff than others. My Bruce Banner for example wants 40% more fertilizer, and the others are dark green from 40% less fertilizer.
The Fox Farms Happy Frog has Humic Acid added as well as mycorrhizae. I am a huge fan of both Humic Acid and mycorrhizae fungi.
Lighting is another world. LED is the future and the current state of the art is the Samsung 301 diode. What ever light you use getting a level canopy is where any difference can be won or lost in the lighting game for us small growers. Get all your buds close to the source. Trimming and LST, SCROG, and super-cropping work miracles. I just bent my stems for super cropping. WOW, that did it for me this time. The canopy looks like a field of little pine trees popping up.
All this from 2 ViparSpectra XS 1500 150 watt lamps with a footprint of 2'X2' @14". I wish I had their 250 watt lamp and the biggest they make is 480 watts. I have a fan blowing across the drivers and they never get hot. I think the 480 watt lamp is too much for me and I worry that it will much hotter. IDK. Soon their 250 watt XS

By the looks of his grows hes not using all the tent so why would he need to upgrade.
Keep what you got mate and dial that in first i say.
You have more than enough light to flower two ladies nice.
Also i would advise coco as when things go wrong its so much easier medium to control.
But soil IF IT WAS ME i would grab something with nothing in and work with your nutes.
If you lock it out its your fault not the soil or the way you put the layers down etc.
The advise given is right , spot on for a light to cover the whole tent and growing in soil.
But lets not run before we can walk.Wasting money wont make anyone a better grower.
Just someone who has alot of new tec.
You have over come a lot over the past few months.
This is just another one of those lessons we learn in our first few grows.
Reading about it is nothing like dealing with it.
I know your next grow be better than the last ;)

My next grow will be so much better than the last two. Your right i have learned a lot since I started. My next grow won't be until next year. We are starting to get into colder temps now and probly only have a couple more weeks before the freezing temps come. So I will be harvesting a little early. In the spring I will be putting 4 plants in that tent.

My next grow will be so much better than the last two. Your right i have learned a lot since I started. My next grow won't be until next year. We are starting to get into colder temps now and probly only have a couple more weeks before the freezing temps come. So I will be harvesting a little early. In the spring I will be putting 4 plants in that tent.
I looked for another even easier way to grow in soil but I can't find the product. This bag comes already mixed with super soil in the bag. You simply poke a hole in the bag or take the top off and add a seed, the ultimate in convenience and the were not so expensive either. I just can't remember what to call them.

I looked for another even easier way to grow in soil but I can't find the product. This bag comes already mixed with super soil in the bag. You simply poke a hole in the bag or take the top off and add a seed, the ultimate in convenience and the were not so expensive either. I just can't remember what to call them.
You were telling me about the fox farms and the happy frog. Is it organic or just regular soil. About the super soil, it says to put it in the bottom third of the pot. But, if it sits that low won't waterings wash it out of the bottom?

You were telling me about the fox farms and the happy frog. Is it organic or just regular soil. About the super soil, it says to put it in the bottom third of the pot. But, if it sits that low won't waterings wash it out of the bottom?
The happy frog is organic and the ocean forest soil is not

For this SSC layers all the vitamins and minerals are in the grow bag. You don't add fertilizer (or very little) so there is no worry of extra fertilizers building up, so no need to flush them off. Watering is different, I suppose then you water more like a house plant. I suppose you can still amend your additives if you ran into deficiencies. I don't know much about it. I vacillate between spoon feeding and totally hands off with SSC and the convenience of a ready mixed grow bag.
Have you heard of Bruce Bugbee of Utah State University?

Maximizing Cannabis Yields with Dr Bruce Bugbee​

And tonight is the night and start the freezing temps. Is it going to be all right to leave early in total darkness in freezing temps

they'll take a few cool nights. a hard or heavy frost will end them though.

Back
Top Bottom