No Pains Gorilla Glue Grow (Free Beans From Herbies) RDWC, LED, CO2

okay so here we are the next day which is right after a full 14 days of 12/12. I told myself that I was just going to let these ladies go all natural, but I guess once a Scroger always a Scroger, it was just way to temping so yeah it happened. lol. you will see that I did some Super cropping to get these ladies down under the netting I made, yes there was definitely some cracking and use of electrical tape to make sure those areas that where severe were sealed for proper healing. These ladies took it like champs! as you will see. after all was said and done, I turned down the lights to relieve stress for their recovery, I also turned off the co2 for the moment, the last pic is 4hrs after and you will see that they are recovering nicely. I also turned on my 3rd lamp so that it will be a nice even spread of light across the whole canopy/net. would you believe that in those 4 hours that they consumed almost 5 gallons of feed! Now no matter how many times I have done it and seen the recovery it stresses me when I'm cracking branches. lol On with the pics ! Hope everyone is having a Fantastic day/ evening.
note: the whole process of installing the framing for the netting and making the net and getting them laid down and situated took about 3 1/2 - 4 hrs.
IMG_3544.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3549.JPG

loving the setup, I'm pulling up a chair so I can watch!! Do you always run rdwc, how long you been at it?
Thank you ! Welcome aboard! Its always been some sort of hydro as my other grows will show I've been running rdwc now for about the last 6 years and just recently started running co2.

Thank you ! Welcome aboard! Its always been some sort of hydro as my other grows will show I've been running rdwc now for about the last 6 years and just recently started running co2.
you definently have so experience under your belt. I'm on my second grow now, I ran dwc last time around and now rdwc. I really love the growth of the plants using this method, do you have any pro tips or knowledge you wanna share? Do your roots ever clog the system?

you definently have so experience under your belt. I'm on my second grow now, I ran dwc last time around and now rdwc. I really love the growth of the plants using this method, do you have any pro tips or knowledge you wanna share? Do your roots ever clog the system?
don't know that I would consider myself a pro but yes I do have some time under my belt and have had issues along the way like everyone else. lol I love the growth rate in hydro period. as far as rots clogging the system no. there is an insert in my return line that aids in preventing the roots from entering it. now at a certain point i do have to stick my hand in the bucket to pull them back. and I run a 350gph pump so the water is moving . As far as tips it depends on your set up. in rdwc and dwc its about aeration and for all grows a healthy root zone. I do highly recommend the root supplement that i have listed in the pic of nutes that I'm using. It really promotes fine root growth and the stuff is amazing! Hydro is all about air water and nutrient ph. You dial those in and the only thing you have to do is worry about providing the best grow environment which I find to be more challenging, temp,humidity,light distance,air movement and vpd.

when it comes to nutrients its as simple as following the manufactures recommendations for ph levels ...and feed schedule. Now the feed schedule (total ec/ppm/tds) is going to be a variable based on the plant genetics but the ph window and water temp recommendation's are going to be solid ..with what I'm using temps are what i choose below 75 degrees F and the ph window for nutrient uptake is 5.5-6.5 If I keep my solution in those ranges for what I'm using I'm golden there.

when it comes to the feed the rule of thumb is to start on the low end of the scale and work your way up, so you don't burn your plants. If the very tips of your fan leaf's and I mean the very tips turn yellow know that you are pushing the envelope with your feed and its advisable to back off a little as its way easier to see the signs and know when you are starting to push the envelope on your plants and back off than it is to get your plants to fully recover from overfeeding.

don't know that I would consider myself a pro but yes I do have some time under my belt and have had issues along the way like everyone else. lol I love the growth rate in hydro period. as far as rots clogging the system no. there is an insert in my return line that aids in preventing the roots from entering it. now at a certain point i do have to stick my hand in the bucket to pull them back. and I run a 350gph pump so the water is moving . As far as tips it depends on your set up. in rdwc and dwc its about aeration and for all grows a healthy root zone. I do highly recommend the root supplement that i have listed in the pic of nutes that I'm using. It really promotes fine root growth and the stuff is amazing! Hydro is all about air water and nutrient ph. You dial those in and the only thing you have to do is worry about providing the best grow environment which I find to be more challenging, temp,humidity,light distance,air movement and vpd.

when it comes to nutrients its as simple as following the manufactures recommendations for ph levels ...and feed schedule. Now the feed schedule (total ec/ppm/tds) is going to be a variable based on the plant genetics but the ph window and water temp recommendation's are going to be solid ..with what I'm using temps are what i choose below 75 degrees F and the ph window for nutrient uptake is 5.5-6.5 If I keep my solution in those ranges for what I'm using I'm golden there.

when it comes to the feed the rule of thumb is to start on the low end of the scale and work your way up, so you don't burn your plants. If the very tips of your fan leaf's and I mean the very tips turn yellow know that you are pushing the envelope with your feed and its advisable to back off a little as its way easier to see the signs and know when you are starting to push the envelope on your plants and back off than it is to get your plants to fully recover from overfeeding.
Thanks a lot, that's some solid info. One problem i always see when it comes to nutrients is I always wonder if i'm using enough supplements. I've been using advanced nutrients and it seems like they list everything they got on the feeding chart so its hard to pick and choose. I just run the base nutrients (micro, grow, bloom), voodoo juice for the roots, big bud, and bud candy. I think i need to simplify though, it's hard to pick through what actually works and people who just have good marketing. Are there feeding charts out there that just have 2-3 products for the grow?

Thanks a lot, that's some solid info. One problem i always see when it comes to nutrients is I always wonder if i'm using enough supplements. I've been using advanced nutrients and it seems like they list everything they got on the feeding chart so its hard to pick and choose. I just run the base nutrients (micro, grow, bloom), voodoo juice for the roots, big bud, and bud candy. I think i need to simplify though, it's hard to pick through what actually works and people who just have good marketing. Are there feeding charts out there that just have 2-3 products for the grow?
Most fertilizer vendors have basic line of ferts.

I switched from bottled nutes to dry ferts (Jacks 3-2-1) and haven't looked back. That formula is two parts, Part A and Part B. The other chemical is epsom salts.

Unless there is a nutritional deficiency, I wouldn't use a supplement. Cannabis needs 17 (18?) chemicals to reach its genetic potential. If they're provided in the sufficiency range, the plant will grow incredibly well.

Nutrient Sufficiency.png

I switched from bottled nutes to dry ferts (Jacks 3-2-1) and haven't looked back. That formula is two parts, Part A and Part B. The other chemical is epsom salts.

Unless there is a nutritional deficiency, I wouldn't use a supplement. Cannabis needs 17 (18?) chemicals to reach its genetic potential. If they're provided in the sufficiency range, the plant will grow incredibly well.

Nutrient Sufficiency.png
Thanks @Delps8, appreciate it. Those mixing instructions are super easy and comprehensive for the jacks 3-2-1. Just for clarification, I should only use the base nutrients unless the plant suffers from a deficiency?

I have done the Advanced Nutrient thing the full line ONCE just to try it and in my opinion it is way way to pricey they do have a good marketing strategy. I went back to My tried and true Genral hydroponics flora series .

In regards to supplements there are a boat load out there and well at this moment I would recommend what i have shown on my first page and if you wanted to add beneficial bacteria I recommend hydroguard.

I'm a liquid fertilizer guy. My very first run long ago was dry fertilizer a grow and a bloom and what I didn't like it not everything dissolved now it could have been the brand or things may have changed in the past 30 years but I don't see myself going back to them.

Delps8 is 100% correct you do not need supplements to grow beautiful healthy plants as a matter of fact if you read on the first page you will see that i have just incorporated the vast majority of supplements in this grow and I recommend them because I can see a difference and the price point on them is perfect for the home grower in my opinion. Prior to this run it was just your basic 3 part flora series with the rapid start for the root zone.

okay so here we are 24 after i had Super cropped them into a Scrogg. They are champs!! you will see a pic where i bent the main stalk almost and put electrical tape on it to seal it while it heals there are a multitude of these types of bends in the canopy and these ladies took no time in recovering. I will remove the tape this coming weekend and what we should see is a nice knuckle. I have turned the lights up and the co2 is now back on. from the time of scrogging and to these pictures they consumed 10 gallons of solution and i had minimal rise in ppm (30) and minimal upswing in ph (.1) so we are solid. Steady as she goes. On with the pics !!
IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG

okay so these ladies received a Nute change early. Why? two reasons the most important being it became unstable as i had been topping with water and a 50/50 mix since the feed looked like it was a tad to much and they had been drinking about 4 gallons which actually puts it about a complete change out. lol I lowered the feed level and feel i have nailed it as ppm are very stable and they are still drinking the same amount with a slight drift upwards in ph. second is because it was defoliation time and i wanted them to fresh feed with all the goodies . So you will see i cleaned up the bottom all the way to the net, situated them a tad and them removed fan leaves that where covering bud site/branches. I do this during lights out to eliminate some stress, they now have a full 10 hours now to get used to their new hair cut. Did I mention I love my green light :). On with the pics!

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG

okay so these ladies received a Nute change early. Why? two reasons the most important being it became unstable as i had been topping with water and a 50/50 mix since the feed looked like it was a tad to much and they had been drinking about 4 gallons which actually puts it about a complete change out. lol I lowered the feed level and feel i have nailed it as ppm are very stable and they are still drinking the same amount with a slight drift upwards in ph. second is because it was defoliation time and i wanted them to fresh feed with all the goodies . So you will see i cleaned up the bottom all the way to the net, situated them a tad and them removed fan leaves that where covering bud site/branches. I do this during lights out to eliminate some stress, they now have a full 10 hours now to get used to their new hair cut. Did I mention I love my green light :). On with the pics!

IMG_3577.JPG

IMG_3578.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3582.JPG
Be careful with using the green light for longer periods of time. Contrary to old beliefs plant do see and photosynthesize green light, it's just the least reactive wave length but still visible to the plant.

Thanks for the info ..I use it minimally and have used it for the past 6 years with no side effects.

Thanks for the info ..I use it minimally and have used it for the past 6 years with no side effects.
I have been doing work for 5-10 minutes with ambient lighting during lights out since forever. The duration is not long enough to cause any changes in the plant but green light is even better for this purpose.

Cheers!

alrighty here we are the beginning of day 21 of 12/12 and 12 hours after their haircut. The are doing really well as the pics will show I'm super excited to see what happens in there this week and the weeks to come. The super cropping areas have healed Niceley. The roots have filled the entire base of the buckets and are very healthy I love that Rapid start as they are very fine. On with the pics! Hope everyone is Having a blessed day!
IMG_3583.JPG
IMG_3584.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG
IMG_3590.JPG

Thanks @Delps8, appreciate it. Those mixing instructions are super easy and comprehensive for the jacks 3-2-1. Just for clarification, I should only use the base nutrients unless the plant suffers from a deficiency?
Sorry for the late reply. Weird week for me…

I started growing again and have tried to refine my processes so that I don't have to futz with the plant and, second, I get lots of weed. When I did my grow in 2017 and then started growing again in 2021, I used bottled nutes and, since I wanted the best outcome, I used the "advanced" line. It was obvious that a lot of the cost was marketing and shipping but it was convenient and I decided to err on the side of caution and use everything that Fox Farms or Botanicare recommended. That stopped after a few grows.

I switched to dry ferts because they provide the same chemicals as the bottled ferts but I don't pay for as much their marketing and manufacturing and shipping costs are much lower. I found my little Excel document re. cost:

1708798370954.png

When I do a res swap, I make 26 gallons (there's a couple of gallons that I can't pump out) and that runs just over $1 per res swap.

Supplements? Great marketing. It's not just "YABC" ("yet another bottle of checmicals") it's a "Supplement!" so it's got to be good for the plant, right? At best, perhaps and, quite possibly, it will cause problems.

Why is a supplement needed? One reason might be to resolve a deficiency. If the ferts are properly formulated, you could have a deficiency in the event of an error, a mistake, or it could be an issue with the plant itself. In that case, provide the plant with the chemicals that it needs. Other than that, I do not see a reason to add chemicals.

There are 17 (or is it 18?) chemicals that plants require to reach their genetic potential. This is what we're aiming for with nutes - give the plant the chemicals that are needed to maintain the sufficiency range.

Nutrient Sufficiency.png

The comment "I'm going to push my PPM" is the cannabis grower's equivalent of "Here, hold my beer!". I have no doubt that growers do that to try to improve the outcome and I hope that they don't push the levels into the toxicity range.

Sorry for the late reply. Weird week for me…

I started growing again and have tried to refine my processes so that I don't have to futz with the plant and, second, I get lots of weed. When I did my grow in 2017 and then started growing again in 2021, I used bottled nutes and, since I wanted the best outcome, I used the "advanced" line. It was obvious that a lot of the cost was marketing and shipping but it was convenient and I decided to err on the side of caution and use everything that Fox Farms or Botanicare recommended. That stopped after a few grows.

I switched to dry ferts because they provide the same chemicals as the bottled ferts but I don't pay for as much their marketing and manufacturing and shipping costs are much lower. I found my little Excel document re. cost:

1708798370954.png

When I do a res swap, I make 26 gallons (there's a couple of gallons that I can't pump out) and that runs just over $1 per res swap.

Supplements? Great marketing. It's not just "YABC" ("yet another bottle of checmicals") it's a "Supplement!" so it's got to be good for the plant, right? At best, perhaps and, quite possibly, it will cause problems.

Why is a supplement needed? One reason might be to resolve a deficiency. If the ferts are properly formulated, you could have a deficiency in the event of an error, a mistake, or it could be an issue with the plant itself. In that case, provide the plant with the chemicals that it needs. Other than that, I do not see a reason to add chemicals.
No Problem, Life happens. I hope all faired in your direction in the final outcome of your week.

understood. You are correct liquid ferts are premixed dry ferts and we pay a premium for the premix regardless of brand in my opinion. I'm just a liquid guy,

all supplements are not created equal. Again prior to this run I was just a regular 3 part liquid guy aside from the rapid start for my roots and you can see them in the last pic. I can tell you that i have always had healthy root zones but not quite as dense and as fine as when I started using the rapid start. Silica this is my first run with it and I can't get it just by using my 3-part and it something that occurs naturally in natural and is in soil but not in hydro ..I added it and seen the difference in the strength and structure of my plants. both require a minimal amount per res and the cost is extremely minimal. so yes some are snake oil but some I've seen the plants really benefit from. Basically when I look at supplements I'm looking to improve the overall strength of the plant to its maximum potential . Which pays off with minimal to know issues during a run and an excellent harvest. You can most definitely strong healthy plants that produce well without any .
The comment "I'm going to push my PPM" is the cannabis grower's equivalent of "Here, hold my beer!". I have no doubt that growers do that to try to improve the outcome and I hope that they don't push the levels into the toxicity range.
I can see that. If I say that I'm going to push my nutes, its generally with new strain and I'm looking for the top amount of feed that my plants can handle during a particular phase paying very close attention to the leaf tips and when they turn I know I am at the peak if not just a tad over and I record that so the next run with that strain it removes all the guess work and the same goes for backing off when I see the ppm constantly rising i know that there is to much feed in the solution given all other Enviromental factors are in check . 700 ppm might be good for one strain not enough for another and could fry a different strain been there and have done that.

No Problem, Life happens. I hope all faired in your direction in the final outcome of your week.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

understood. You are correct liquid ferts are premixed dry ferts and we pay a premium for the premix regardless of brand in my opinion. I'm just a liquid guy,
They're handy - flip the top and pour.

all supplements are not created equal. Again prior to this run I was just a regular 3 part liquid guy aside from the rapid start for my roots and you can see them in the last pic. I can tell you that i have always had healthy root zones but not quite as dense and as fine as when I started using the rapid start. Silica this is my first run with it and I can't get it just by using my 3-part and it something that occurs naturally in natural and is in soil but not in hydro ..I added it and seen the difference in the strength and structure of my plants. both require a minimal amount per res and the cost is extremely minimal. so yes some are snake oil but some I've seen the plants really benefit from. Basically when I look at supplements I'm looking to improve the overall strength of the plant to its maximum potential . Which pays off with minimal to know issues during a run and an excellent harvest. You can most definitely strong healthy plants that produce well without any .
I agree about adding Si and I also use Hydroguard.

Is Si a "supplement"? If so, then I do use supplements but, in the case of Si, I'm adding a chemical that isn't in the ferts rather than adding more of a chemical that's already in the ferts.

Here's my feed sheet for this new res:

1708806875518.png

"Silica Blast" is the product from Botanicare. I still use the name but make my own Si…mix (I actually typed "suppl…") based on the thread that @farside05 put together about running bloom nutes from drop to chop. That thread and postings and advice from @FelipeBlu were instrumental in my changing from bottled ferts to dry ferts.

I can see that. If I say that I'm going to push my nutes, its generally with new strain and I'm looking for the top amount of feed that my plants can handle during a particular phase paying very close attention to the leaf tips and when they turn I know I am at the peak if not just a tad over and I record that so the next run with that strain it removes all the guess work and the same goes for backing off when I see the ppm constantly rising i know that there is to much feed in the solution given all other Enviromental factors are in check . 700 ppm might be good for one strain not enough for another and could fry a different strain been there and have done that.
Sounds like it works well for you and record keeping is generally a good idea.

What strain crapped out at 700?

1708806856847.png

Back
Top Bottom