No Pains Gorilla Glue Grow (Free Beans From Herbies) RDWC, LED, CO2

It looks like you have it figured out. :)
I use a doubled plastic tote as a reservoir to flood my 3'x3' tray with a fountain pump. When it's time to change the reservoir, I have another fountain pump with about 20 feet of hose hooked to it. I drop the pump in the res. and run the hose to the drain in another room, plug it in, and pump the water out. The first few times many years ago, I bailed the water out as the res was too heavy to move.:rolleyes:

I have the same CO2 controller. Will use bottled CO2 for the first time in 2024. I have another controller as a spare and will mount it in the other room, and use it as a monitor and spare if needed.

CO2 sys set up 2024 grows (6).JPG

CO2 set up. Splitter valve will control gas to both rooms.

Thank you for the compliment. Its definitely getting dialed in and is a far cry from Emily's garden (my first step into hydro in the mid 90's) and making the best choice for a cool white or warm tube florescent . lol . I strive to keep things simple and efficient and make it a joy instead of a task when it comes to doing things such as changing the res i know what its like hauling 5 gallon buckets at a time to empty as well as to fill .

Hydro coupled with Co2 is definitely the way to go ! This is my second run with it . Some of the best advice I can offer is to make sure your room is as airtight as possible and to situate your air purification system so that it recirculates and lastly hang the monitor at the top of the plants moving it up as they grow . Those things will make a huge difference. In just redoing my air system and doing my best to make the air pressure in the room as neutral as possible and some minor adjustments on me entry way to the room and covering all unused outlets i have more than tripled the efficiency of the use of co2. Before I did this it looked like I was going to use a 20lb every week and a half and i was only running it 200ppm above atmospheric content . Now I'm running it 600ppm above atmospheric content and it looks like a 20lb bottle would last me 2 1/2 weeks ... I started this run with a 20lb bottle that I had used for a little bit before I had to stop my last grow and prior to starting this one I decided to swap 2 20lb empties I had for a 50 lb tank . the partially used 20 lb. tank lasted me well over a week and a half . I will have a better gauge of how much it will use when this 50 is done .I'm anticipating the remainder of this grow !! Simply because of how stable it is in the room now . I'm excited to find out. Feel free to ask any questions . also expect your next grow to seem like its on fire !!! lol

It looks like you have it figured out. :)
I use a doubled plastic tote as a reservoir to flood my 3'x3' tray with a fountain pump. When it's time to change the reservoir, I have another fountain pump with about 20 feet of hose hooked to it. I drop the pump in the res. and run the hose to the drain in another room, plug it in, and pump the water out. The first few times many years ago, I bailed the water out as the res was too heavy to move.:rolleyes:

I have the same CO2 controller. Will use bottled CO2 for the first time in 2024. I have another controller as a spare and will mount it in the other room, and use it as a monitor and spare if needed.

CO2 sys set up 2024 grows (6).JPG

CO2 set up. Splitter valve will control gas to both rooms.
Can't wait till I get my c02 setup. Very nice

Thank you for the compliment. Its definitely getting dialed in and is a far cry from Emily's garden (my first step into hydro in the mid 90's) and making the best choice for a cool white or warm tube florescent . lol . I strive to keep things simple and efficient and make it a joy instead of a task when it comes to doing things such as changing the res i know what its like hauling 5 gallon buckets at a time to empty as well as to fill .

Hydro coupled with Co2 is definitely the way to go ! This is my second run with it . Some of the best advice I can offer is to make sure your room is as airtight as possible and to situate your air purification system so that it recirculates and lastly hang the monitor at the top of the plants moving it up as they grow . Those things will make a huge difference. In just redoing my air system and doing my best to make the air pressure in the room as neutral as possible and some minor adjustments on me entry way to the room and covering all unused outlets i have more than tripled the efficiency of the use of co2. Before I did this it looked like I was going to use a 20lb every week and a half and i was only running it 200ppm above atmospheric content . Now I'm running it 600ppm above atmospheric content and it looks like a 20lb bottle would last me 2 1/2 weeks ... I started this run with a 20lb bottle that I had used for a little bit before I had to stop my last grow and prior to starting this one I decided to swap 2 20lb empties I had for a 50 lb tank . the partially used 20 lb. tank lasted me well over a week and a half . I will have a better gauge of how much it will use when this 50 is done .I'm anticipating the remainder of this grow !! Simply because of how stable it is in the room now . I'm excited to find out. Feel free to ask any questions . also expect your next grow to seem like its on fire !!! lol
Thank you.:) I think my room is sealed pretty well, I'll find out.:rolleyes: When I'm working in the room and have the controller plugged in. The CO2 levels rise quite a bit, with just me breathing.:oops: My ACs can be put in recirculate mode to avoid pulling in fresh air. I usually run buckets but couldn't tell you how much they were putting out.:rolleyes: I plan on running a couple of buckets during this years grow, just to see what they give me.:) I still need a 2nd bottle. They're pricey.:oops::bong:

Thank you.:) I think my room is sealed pretty well, I'll find out.:rolleyes: When I'm working in the room and have the controller plugged in. The CO2 levels rise quite a bit, with just me breathing.:oops: My ACs can be put in recirculate mode to avoid pulling in fresh air. I usually run buckets but couldn't tell you how much they were putting out.:rolleyes: I plan on running a couple of buckets during this years grow, just to see what they give me.:) I still need a 2nd bottle. They're pricey.:oops::bong:
You are very welcome . I know what you mean by the meter rising just being in the room. That is definitely a good thing.
Now in regard to the tanks, when i first started with co2 I got 3 20lb tanks of beverage grade co2 from my local welding supply store. I had the option to lease the tanks if I wanted to fill out the paperwork or I could buy them from them and just exchange them as needed. I chose to buy them as the price they gave me wasn't bad at all, when I decided I wanted to do 2 50lb tanks I took in my two empty 20lb tanks and talked to the guy and he gave me a full 50lb aluminum tank and he told me that the 50's where actually cheaper to purchase. So, if you can fit a 50lb tank in your area, keeping in mind that they are about 110lbs full, that's the route that I would go. In regards to cost I would definitely go to my local welding supply store and have a conversation.

You are very welcome . I know what you mean by the meter rising just being in the room. That is definitely a good thing.
Now in regard to the tanks, when i first started with co2 I got 3 20lb tanks of beverage grade co2 from my local welding supply store. I had the option to lease the tanks if I wanted to fill out the paperwork or I could buy them from them and just exchange them as needed. I chose to buy them as the price they gave me wasn't bad at all, when I decided I wanted to do 2 50lb tanks I took in my two empty 20lb tanks and talked to the guy and he gave me a full 50lb aluminum tank and he told me that the 50's where actually cheaper to purchase. So, if you can fit a 50lb tank in your area, keeping in mind that they are about 110lbs full, that's the route that I would go. In regards to cost I would definitely go to my local welding supply store and have a conversation.
I just bought one 20lb tank new. It cost $40 to fill it.
I would like to have a bigger tank but at 110lbs full, I would have real hard time handling it. I have to traverse a pretty uneven up and down hill to get to the grow.
What is your rooms cubic volume? Mines about 500 cubic feet(4'x8'x16') Have you had any leak issues upstream of the regulator?

I just bought one 20lb tank new. It cost $40 to fill it.
I would like to have a bigger tank but at 110lbs full, I would have real hard time handling it. I have to traverse a pretty uneven up and down hill to get to the grow.
What is your rooms cubic volume? Mines about 500 cubic feet(4'x8'x16') Have you had any leak issues upstream of the regulator?
understood, that's why i put in the weight as they are heavy. Sounds like the best cost-effective option for you would be leasing the tanks it's cheaper than buying them that's for sure. My area is roughly 10x10x8 so 800cf. As far as leaks i have not experienced any. When i change out the tanks I just snug the regulator tp the tank to ensure that i do not crack the plastic washer that goes between the two. Secondly after it is tightened I open the bottle and spray soapy water around the connection looking for air bubbles to ensure that i do not have a leak at that connection . When looking air/gas leaks at connection sights soapy water is your best friend!

alrighty her we are 4 days later and these ladies are humming along. Vertical growth has slowed and side branching is growing quite well. They are in the window as far as height that i wanted so today starts there first day of 12/12 they will be getting a nute change at bed time tonight. I see very good results from the silica as well as the floralicious plus ..so much so that I have decided to add Kool bloom liquid to the line up. Now i have used a multitude of hydro nutrients in my time, my first was Hydro farm granular, second when i got my areoflow 2 its was the flora series i use now ,third was advanced nutrients(talk about pricey) and current culture h2o's line . I went back to Gen hydro's Flora series simply due to costs in comparison to results seen . I will say that current cultures line was the cleanest i had ever run, by clean I mean no salt build up what so ever.

I did a little work during lights out this morning, I use a green light so I can visit at anytime without bothering them and see what I'm doing lol. I am waiting on foam wrap for my pipes to aid in keeping the nute temp stable as well as minimally working the chiller. I had forgotten that I had reflective Bubble wrap insulation and decided to go ahead and use that for now as you will see in the pictures. I have parkas/ sleeves for the buckets that i had made from the same material awhile back but I didn't like it simply because of the amount that my buckets sweated. I have my eye on some nice foam/neoprene sheets that will work perfect as they are self adhesive and will eliminate the air gap and the sweating.

Now for the updated feed, I will be using Gen Hydros feed aggressive feed schedule as when I mix the medium feed schedule it seems like its close to 200ppm less then when these ladies are looking for. In the picture you will see these ladies are happy and that i have 3 different phenos the two on the left are most definitely sisters, the two on the right are cousins with the one on the far right being a first cousin and the second from the right being a second cousin. I really like the plant structure of the second from the right. She have very nice internode spacing and very even branching. I will add solo pics of her later today or tomorrow. Enjoy the Pics and Have a Wonderful and blessed day !!!
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG
IMG_3471.JPG
IMG_3472.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3476.JPG

Had to go back in the garden for a second so here are the pics of #2 and her plant structure.
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3480.JPG

okie dokie here we are 4 weeks from seed three weeks from roots touching the solution. Things are going very well ,I'm excited! This is their 3 day of 12/12 the lights where moved on day one to 24" above the tops . vpd of the leaf's in .93kpa i would like to see at least 1.0, however I'm currently happy and will continue to tweak things to achieve that goal. On average they are all around 20" tall and 24" round with the stalks getting close to the 1/2" thick marker. They are currently drinking 2.5 gallons a day with ec/ppm rising slightly(10ppm) between top offs and that tells me this feed range is super close to what they are looking for. In a separate post I will post one of each week for comparison. On with the pic's and I hope everyone is having a fantastic day!!
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_3493.JPG
IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3496.JPG

here we are at the beginning of day 7 of 12/12. These ladies are doing very well. The have been drinking an average of 3.5 gallons a day and ph has been staying stable at 6.3 and the ppm was slowly creeping up by about 10ppm a day so this feed regiment seems to be on point for them. They received a res change today and I took out my 1/2hp chiller that was over kill and installed my smaller one rated for an easy 40 gallons. The one on the right is focused on vertical growth which makes me wonder if its going to end up being a male.im going to get a magnifying glass out and scope it real good, it was too hard to tell with the naked eye. If it does end up being a male I'm good with it and will consider it a blessing and use it to breed as it is a true gg4, ill show a pic of the leaf twist trait. The other three are really getting bushy!! I can't wait to see preflowers! On with the pics!! Everyone have a great day!!
IMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3509.JPG
IMG_3510.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3512.JPG
IMG_3513.JPG
IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3516.JPG

Hiya! Another hydro grower here but wish I had your setup! I'm in a 2' x 4' tent and have no chance to set up a grow room. :-(

It's great to see another hydro grower, too. I've only ever grown in hydro and I love it.

Two questions:

Why are you running pH > 6.0?

Great hardware but zero mention of light levels. What's your PPFD/DLI?

I love CurrentCulture stuff. I'd run it (or something like it) given my choice but I live in Southern California (insane housing costs) and the only place I can grow is in the garage. :-(

Love Gorilla Glue, BTW. Excellent smoke and monstrous yields.

Hiya! Another hydro grower here but wish I had your setup! I'm in a 2' x 4' tent and have no chance to set up a grow room. :-(

It's great to see another hydro grower, too. I've only ever grown in hydro and I love it.

Two questions:

Why are you running pH > 6.0?

Great hardware but zero mention of light levels. What's your PPFD/DLI?

I love CurrentCulture stuff. I'd run it (or something like it) given my choice but I live in Southern California (insane housing costs) and the only place I can grow is in the garage. :-(

Love Gorilla Glue, BTW. Excellent smoke and monstrous yields.
Hey there fellow hydroer!! I love hydro i started with soil then moved quicky to hydro in the mid 90's and man there is nothing like it ! If you look in the grow pictures those little plants on the floor are in potting soil and yes the pots are small but umm they are actually only about a week and a half behind what's in the buckets.

to your first question when i first started hydro it was testing solution via the die drops and comparing colors light green was the place to be, which was 6.3 or so. I've done the 5.8 thing..ive learned to just listen and follow the manufacture guidelines and not get ocd over the ph as they manufacture then and general hydroponics flora series is anywhere from 5.5-6.5.

in regards to the second question I will post a pic of my light specifications.
IMG_3524.JPG

Now me being you in a 4x4 tent I would build a bucket system similar to the one i did in my hp aero grow ..but the revised version which is on the last page, it was a hybrid rdwc and hp aero system. easy to maintenance with good results. As far as the system i run now, i do love it and have added my own teaks to it. If i had to do it all over again I would purchase their bulkhead fittings and build my own system.

I am most definitely looking forward to seeing what this gg produces. I'm thinking of letting them go 70+ days or so in search of that chocolate flavor i hear so much about.

here we are 5 weeks from seed. Steady as she goes! Thinned the ladies out a bit for better air flow as they where getting bushy! I may trim a tad more during the week I'm envisioning the end and attempting to shape it for that since i wont be using a Scrogg net. I was tempted to pull it out however I had decided at the beginning of the grow that I was just going to let them go ..but man they would Scrogg nicely lol . On with the Pics! Have a Fantastic day/evening!
IMG_3526.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3528.JPG
IMG_3529.JPG
IMG_3530.JPG

Hey there fellow hydroer!! I love hydro i started with soil then moved quicky to hydro in the mid 90's and man there is nothing like it ! If you look in the grow pictures those little plants on the floor are in potting soil and yes the pots are small but umm they are actually only about a week and a half behind what's in the buckets.
Hydro in the 90's - that's really something. If you're so inclined, what's changed and what hasn't?

to your first question when i first started hydro it was testing solution via the die drops and comparing colors light green was the place to be, which was 6.3 or so. I've done the 5.8 thing..ive learned to just listen and follow the manufacture guidelines and not get ocd over the ph as they manufacture then and general hydroponics flora series is anywhere from 5.5-6.5.
Got it. If that's working, great.

in regards to the second question I will post a pic of my light specifications.
IMG_3524.JPG

Now me being you in a 4x4 tent I would build a bucket system similar to the one i did in my hp aero grow ..but the revised version which is on the last page, it was a hybrid rdwc and hp aero system. easy to maintenance with good results. As far as the system i run now, i do love it and have added my own teaks to it. If i had to do it all over again I would purchase their bulkhead fittings and build my own system.
Interesting - they're aiming it right at the HPS replacement market. Same light output, fewer watts. Sounds like a good deal.

I'm in a 2' x 4' so room is really tight. The res that I was thinking of was the 13 gallon Solo. Right now, the res holds 26 gallons so I'd be in a res < ½ size. I get back some room in my tent but I'd probably have to change the res more often. It's not a pressing need, everything's working fine now, but it's fun to "what if" some times.

I am most definitely looking forward to seeing what this gg produces. I'm thinking of letting them go 70+ days or so in search of that chocolate flavor i hear so much about.
70 days - you'll want a tree house for that! :)

Seriously, though, you've got the room, the plants, and the skills. Unless you need to stick to a timeline, it could be a really amazing grow.

Hydro in the 90's - that's really something. If you're so inclined, what's changed and what hasn't?
When I first started the only hydro available for a home grower was Emilys garden or an ebb flow system. I started with Emilys Garden and not to long after that the Aeroflo2 came out which was ground breaking at the time. I then switched to that. Emilys evolved into 5 gallon buckets for the home grower, The Aeroflo2 was a recirculation system that injected water into the runners and that oxygenated the system along with it running back into the reservoir. That system has evolved into rdwc. As far as changes there is a huge selection of nutrient lines today as compared to then, there is also the use of bennies like hydroguard and chillers. The tools have also improved and came down in price ..I never ran a chiller or bennies and my tds meter i had to calibrate every so often with a 1000ppm solution. The huge changes are in the ease of acquiring information about hydroponics as well as the equipment and tools along with the information about what we are cultivating. Back then if I saw an issue with my ladies I was looking in books by Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal in search for answers and for equipment I needed to drive 50 miles to even get to a hydro shop in someone elses car wearing a cap and sunglasses and pay cash.. see it was during the time of "Operation Green Merchant" which is when the Feds here in the states raided supply shops and seized purchase records and visited anyone they thought fit the bill, it was most definitely a scary time.
IMG_E3532.JPG
IMG_E3533.JPG

Got it. If that's working, great.
The 6.3 range does work for me and here is why I stated what I did when you first asked the question. I did try the super pricey "Advanced Nutrient line " Ph perfect to be exact and when it wasn't preforming at a "ph perfect level" I reached out to them and I was told not to worry about the Ph as all the nutrients are available to the plants throughout the full range of ph , thus ph perfect and just to focus on it being in the best acidity/alkalinity for the root zone. Thats why as long as its within the range that Gen hydro says as I'm using there line and they have been doing this for a long time that everything is available "chelated" for the ph range that they suggest . In my opinion at this point is if you make your own hydroponic nutrients is when you need to look at and monitor the scale more closely for the proper range at the proper stage of growth.

Interesting - they're aiming it right at the HPS replacement market. Same light output, fewer watts. Sounds like a good deal.
To me they where a good deal. The cola you see as my Pic was grown under the previous version of that lamp. They simply are amazing its not only about the output but the spectrum. The invested alot of time in researching the best spectrum and getting it close to the sun and then patented it and this model is the one with that spectrum.
I'm in a 2' x 4' so room is really tight. The res that I was thinking of was the 13 gallon Solo. Right now, the res holds 26 gallons so I'd be in a res < ½ size. I get back some room in my tent but I'd probably have to change the res more often. It's not a pressing need, everything's working fine now, but it's fun to "what if" some times.
I did look at your setup you have some great skills! As far as the res I would pipe it to the outside of the tent and recirculate it and it being outside the tent makes for an easy nutrient solution change out as well as checking everything. Yes the what ifs are fun that's where the high pressure areo system came from and I cant tell you how many people told me that I would fail (on another site) as they had the best in the business helping working with them. Regardless it was about the adventure for me and I had a lot of fun doing it.
70 days - you'll want a tree house for that! :)

Seriously, though, you've got the room, the plants, and the skills. Unless you need to stick to a timeline, it could be a really amazing grow.
I have no set time frame other that what it takes to get the very best out of these ladies as I do not grow for weight, I grow for quality and for myself ..It's a Hobbie .---Truth...Thank you for your kind words , I have burned a couple plants in my life time lol. I find success through my failures.

here we are in week5 at 13 days of 12/12 everything is going well. Having a little battle with high rh right now, I think its time for a new dehumidifier. Its running 65-70 rh and I would like it to be a tad lower and looking at what's coming. They received a res change this morning and they have already consumed 5 gallons ! This morning I also coated the lower portions of the buckets and the reservoir with a marine grade foam insulation that was self adhesive to aid in maintaining an extremely stable temp in the buckets and reduce the chiller on time . The cost was about 12 dollars per bucket and over time it will pay for itself imo. I am going to be installing a support system for all the ladies as I feel they are going to need it in the future regardless of the silica. I also did a tad more trimming, removing a couple more lower branched that I felt needed to go as well as any side shoots that I felt where to low on the plants to make a difference, so that they could focus all of the growth energy on what will. On with the pics!! Hope you are having a fantastic day / evening!!
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG
IMG_3543.JPG
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG

Back
Top Bottom