Nutes: Yes? No? WTH?

NorCAKnowYourGrow

I cannot figure out these plants. Am I giving too many nutes? Not enough? What to do? Or is this just too much heat and the plants are hanging on for dear life? I just wanna get these girls to the end....have some viable, smokeable, gets the job done weed!! (I can’t wait until I am more experienced and can figure this sh*t out on my own....until then thank you for the experienced here providing us newbies (3rd grow here) with feedback!)

It started with me giving regular weekly nutes around week 5. Then after 5-6 weeks the plants looked yellow so I sledgehammered them thinking I had given too much. Let them sit and started back up a week later with nutes. Looked better for a bit but then not. Gave more nutes then looked worse. Flushed with water again. Looked better Pulled way back on nutes for a while, just filtered water until I saw them start to yellow again. Probably a week and a half (Maybe it’s was the 100°-108° days for 9 days?). They tend to look a lot better the day after a organic compost tea is foliar sprayed but that’s short lived by maybe two days.

Question:
When in the flowering stage do the fan leaves turn yellow and that’s normal? The ones with the most yellow are the furthest into flowering.
(Yes, I know that September is often the *earliest* for harvest at my latitude but I’ve already had two plants ready for harvest....trichs cloudy and a few amber - which is the type of high we like....no couch lock desired.)

Grow Info:
From seed: started between March 1 & 21
outdoor grow: lots of heat, and lately smoke (from CA fires)
All pics are different strains
Nutes: Started with Humboldt Secret weeks 5-10) switched to Fox Farms plus added Boogie Brew foliar (NOT at same time, usually a few days apaet
Soil: 420 Bhang
Fabric pots (from 7-15 gallon)
Sun: approx 7:30am to 2:30/3pm (then in shade). Reduced from 7:30-6:30pm full sun due to high heat

Pictures....first pic for full plant, second the bud on that specific plant.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

They look normal my friend. Looks like they are starting to go threw their natural fade. What’s the temps where your at? And I personally wouldn’t stop your feedings just yet or at all in my opinion because they could also be using up their reserves if their starting to bulk up in weight at their current state.

They look normal my friend. Looks like they are starting to go threw their natural fade. What’s the temps where your at? And I personally wouldn’t stop your feedings just yet or at all in my opinion because they could also be using up their reserves if their starting to bulk up in weight at their current state.

It's been pretty hot off and on. In June we had a week or two of 95-100, then two weeks ago a 10-day spell where the high was 98 to 108. And then California decided to set it on fire again and the plants got horrible air (no clue if they are susceptible to the smoke or not).

It's been pretty hot off and on. In June we had a week or two of 95-100, then two weeks ago a 10-day spell where the high was 98 to 108. And then California decided to set it on fire again and the plants got horrible air (no clue if they are susceptible to the smoke or not).
I've been concerned every single fan leaf was going to fall off before they reached full maturity....
Are your girls getting full on sun during the day? Or getting a little shaded? Because I can’t get a really good close eye view on your top colas but that could also determine weather or not it’s a deficiency due to lack of it in your nutes or another factor playing along in their that could have caused it to fade out a little more. Cali is forsure a completely different climate than where I’m from lol, but hey I always try and keep my indoor grow temps around California’s norm in temps and humidity levels. I hope all is well with all them wild fires tho where I’m from I have to worry about the river flooding me out after it rains for 3-4 days haha!!

I've been concerned every single fan leaf was going to fall off before they reached full maturity....
Also how fast is the yellowing happing. Over night or gradually over a period of time?

I do not see any burn so you may be doing good and they just want a little more food, the leaves will yellow off into flowering that is normal. How much do you feed it the fox farms and what schedule or feeding ratio are you using?

Are your girls getting full on sun during the day? Or getting a little shaded? Because I can’t get a really good close eye view on your top colas but that could also determine weather or not it’s a deficiency due to lack of it in your nutes or another factor playing along in their that could have caused it to fade out a little more. Cali is forsure a completely different climate than where I’m from lol, but hey I always try and keep my indoor grow temps around California’s norm in temps and humidity levels. I hope all is well with all them wild fires tho where I’m from I have to worry about the river flooding me out after it rains for 3-4 days haha!!

We need your rain. Send our way. Save us both!

They get full sun 7:30-2:30/3. Then the house shades them. I pulled them back from the sun at the hottest of the day. I’ve moved them back out now that we are back to highs of 85-88.

I got out step stool and here is some top cola pics of a few different plants

image.jpg

image.jpg

A different plant.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And another
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    992.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 8
I do not see any burn so you may be doing good and they just want a little more food, the leaves will yellow off into flowering that is normal. How much do you feed it the fox farms and what schedule or feeding ratio are you using?
There is some burn on some plants. But I don’t know if it’s the heat or nutes. I suspect the burns might look similar.

I’ve fed according to whatever week the plant has been in (as best I can figure). This past, though, was a 1/4 strength. Next day, they looked worse.

the strawberry lemonade - she has been a touchy from early on:

image.jpg

We need your rain. Send our way. Save us both!

They get full sun 7:30-2:30/3. Then the house shades them. I pulled them back from the sun at the hottest of the day. I’ve moved them back out now that we are back to highs of 85-88.

I got out step stool and here is some top cola pics of a few different plants

image.jpg

image.jpg

A different plant.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And another
image.jpg

image.jpg
This feed the yellowing seemed to increase the next day. And it was a low dose. Quarter to half.
Sounds like they are getting plenty of food from the sun then, and your tops are looking like their getting fat by the looks of them pics so I would just up the feeding in buds and blooms from fox farm if that’s who you are using or add a little grow big in with your normal feeding schedule and see if your fade goes away or you start to notice more greens in your leaves. Your plant might be hungry for nitrogen among most nitrogen hungry strains. I also use fox farm and have had so much luck in using their stuff and using it in my own formulas as I notice my girls needing them that it’s hard to switch to these new and improved nutes out their. I also wanted to add in that I check my run off in my indoor plants most feedings and if your able to check for your fun offs I would highly recommend trying it out logging your info down if you have the spare time so that you have an understanding of how your specific strain handles a certain feeding schedule. Especially if you rely on cannibis like I do as a medicine it’s best to know how your specific strains handle what best to know how to grow that certain strain in the future and not have many major issues.

Sounds like they are getting plenty of food from the sun then, and your tops are looking like their getting fat by the looks of them pics so I would just up the feeding in buds and blooms from fox farm if that’s who you are using or add a little grow big in with your normal feeding schedule and see if your fade goes away or you start to notice more greens in your leaves. Your plant might be hungry for nitrogen among most nitrogen hungry strains. I also use fox farm and have had so much luck in using their stuff and using it in my own formulas as I notice my girls needing them that it’s hard to switch to these new and improved nutes out their.

I use everything according to their soil feed schedule for weeks 10, 11, 12.... Big Bloom, Tiger, Ca Ching (or whatever powder is in the schedule now), Bembe. I don't think there is anything else they recommend on the schedule at this point. I'd have to look. I just follow whatever it says. Most of the time it's been full strength. This last time I was nervous to give them a full dose wondering if they were overfed. So I didn't, and got worse looking plants the next day. It's been confusing.

I keep thinking they need more nitrogen but why would they get more yellow when I do give them nutes rather than start looking better? It seems like I give more or I give less and I never get them really looking robust and healthy. Or maybe I'm expecting the beautiful plants of an indoor grow not subject to the elements?

Maybe I'm overthinking (I do that with a lot so why not weed plants?).

I will continue to feed the flowering schedule and see what happens. I appreciate your taking a look and giving me some guidance!!

I use everything according to their soil feed schedule for weeks 10, 11, 12.... Big Bloom, Tiger, Ca Ching (or whatever powder is in the schedule now), Bembe. I don't think there is anything else they recommend on the schedule at this point. I'd have to look. I just follow whatever it says. Most of the time it's been full strength. This last time I was nervous to give them a full dose wondering if they were overfed. So I didn't, and got worse looking plants the next day. It's been confusing.

I keep thinking they need more nitrogen but why would they get more yellow when I do give them nutes rather than start looking better? It seems like I give more or I give less and I never get them really looking robust and healthy. Or maybe I'm expecting the beautiful plants of an indoor grow not subject to the elements?

Maybe I'm overthinking (I do that with a lot so why not weed plants?).

I will continue to feed the flowering schedule and see what happens. I appreciate your taking a look and giving me some guidance!!
Brotha I’ve had all them same issues and I’ve started to dial in their feeding schedule for each of my stains I grow and I’ve learned most of the time I was over feeding my plants because I never checked my ppm levels in my nutes nor my runoff. And trust me I’ve never come across an issue since I’ve treated every girl like a science experiment until I found what ppm, ph and ec levels were working best. With the normal fox farm feeding your pushing past 1000 ppms after you’ve mixed all your nutes together I might have to mix all them nutes at full and half strength once more just to prove that point but I don’t feed more than 800-900ppms in my nutes now have had great success. Now don’t get me wrong you can definitely add more than what I’m feeding to some plants that can handle the nute stregth but so far I try and keep in the ppm range that’s keeping them happy threw all stages of life the veg and flower.

^ Using the ppms rather then what they say and just using their ratios is best in my opinion, I always check ppm before feeding in any media. I would be feeding your plant at 900-1000 ppm

^ Using the ppms rather then what they say and just using their ratios is best in my opinion, I always check ppm before feeding in any media. I would be feeding your plant at 900-1000 ppm
I couldn’t and wouldn’t feed my girls unless I know my ppms and ph levels are on point haha I knew I wasn’t the only over protected father out their im with ya on the ppms..

I couldn’t and wouldn’t feed my girls unless I know my ppms and ph levels are on point haha I knew I wasn’t the only over protected father out their im with ya on the ppms..
I am now using a ph adjusting soil and ph perfect nutes I don't ph my water into soil only ph the hydro system. But yes if I don't know the ppm of it then it doesn't go on the plants :rofl:

Brotha I’ve had all them same issues and I’ve started to dial in their feeding schedule for each of my stains I grow and I’ve learned most of the time I was over feeding my plants because I never checked my ppm levels in my nutes nor my runoff. And trust me I’ve never come across an issue since I’ve treated every girl like a science experiment until I found what ppm, ph and ec levels were working best. With the normal fox farm feeding your pushing past 1000 ppms after you’ve mixed all your nutes together I might have to mix all them nutes at full and half strength once more just to prove that point but I don’t feed more than 800-900ppms in my nutes now have had great success. Now don’t get me wrong you can definitely add more than what I’m feeding to some plants that can handle the nute stregth but so far I try and keep in the ppm range that’s keeping them happy threw all stages of life the veg and flower.

Sista, not brotha, actually! lol! :cool:

Yeah, that makes sense. Thank you. Maybe it's more frequent feedings and not fewer at full strength. I'll keep playing with it and check the ppms of my feeds. I've got a Blue Labs truncheon, so it's stupid proof.

Sista, not brotha, actually! lol! :cool:

Yeah, that makes sense. Thank you. Maybe it's more frequent feedings and not fewer at full strength. I'll keep playing with it and check the ppms of my feeds. I've got a Blue Labs truncheon, so it's stupid proof.
Haha I knew it!! I just knew I’d get back at saying brotha hahah!!!my bad on that one!! But I like them blue labs I personally don’t have one yet lol but I will get one. I have 3 of each pen readers because of how paranoid I am so let me know if you like them blue lab ones..

Back
Top Bottom