On The Shoulders of Giants: Hempy/Coco/OC+/GLH

Hey Zombo, Forgive me for giving any advice, since you are using the pan to catch runoff, IMHO if you put a piece of plywood under the pan (to support the wieght of pots) then you can tilt the pan towards a front corner to catch all the runoff. This also help with humitity issues.

So how do you keep your hempy cups from growing stuff on the top. I have green and redish stuff growing on my perlite. I only water in one spot. But it just grows everywhere. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I don't know. I've never used perlite before, so I guess I'm just lucky.

Hey Zombo, Forgive me for giving any advice, since you are using the pan to catch runoff, IMHO if you put a piece of plywood under the pan (to support the wieght of pots) then you can tilt the pan towards a front corner to catch all the runoff. This also help with humitity issues.

Advice is always welcome, whether I use it is a different story :ganjamon: I'm just using that 2 x 4 flood tray underneath to catch it all. I have a small shop-vac to suck up the effluent if I need to. At this stage, extra humidity is welcome in the tent! I'm sure when I have 8 plants in the 10 liter hempy buckets, there will be much more water to deal with :yummy:

You could top it off with some sand.:peacetwo:

I also saw where someone used hydroton on top of the perlite - -same priniciples apply :rollit:

I don't know. I've never used perlite before, so I guess I'm just lucky.

Advice is always welcome, whether I use it is a different story :ganjamon: I'm just using that 2 x 4 flood tray underneath to catch it all. I have a small shop-vac to suck up the effluent if I need to. At this stage, extra humidity is welcome in the tent! I'm sure when I have 8 plants in the 10 liter hempy buckets, there will be much more water to deal with :yummy:

I also saw where someone used hydroton on top of the perlite - -same priniciples apply :rollit:

I thought of the hydroton but not sure about it since I've never used it. Is it pH neutral? Does it retain moisture? I just don't have experience with it.

Hey Z glad your up and running again, perlite hempys right on man..that's what I ran with my first go around. Nice and clean. :goodluck:

Thanks guys. Yeah my first time with perlite also. Hemp has the same thing on his too so I'm not sure if it is even a bad thing. I am liking the sand idea.

No worries, it's just some algae..like others have said you can throw some hydroton on top if you don't like it. It won't harm your chick though.

So how do you keep your hempy cups from growing stuff on the top. I have green and redish stuff growing on my perlite. I only water in one spot. But it just grows everywhere. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Hey Z glad your up and running again, perlite hempys right on man..that's what I ran with my first go around. Nice and clean. :goodluck:

No worries, it's just some algae..like others have said you can throw some hydroton on top if you don't like it. It won't harm your chick though.

I agree Marley. My mini-hempies especially look like algae farms on top, I don't worry about it. If you are worried fashion some kind of lid to keep light from getting to the algae and that will kill it off. That's all I would do, some of the cures may be worse than the disease.

Looking good Zombo you're on your way. In perlite it's so easy to get the plants out, just tip the cup and gently pull. You won't lose any roots that way.

get rid of the algae by:

1.)using pH adjusted tap water. There is enough chlorine to kill the algae, but not the plant.

or

2.)water with H202 once in a while

or....

3.) cover the top of the cup. Hydroton works....but too big for hempy cup. a little piece of panda film might work.

I would not use sand! It will sink to the bottom almost immediately and totally mess up the wicking action of the perlite.

Lastly......

ignore the algae. You'll be transplanting soon enough.

get rid of the algae by:

1.)using pH adjusted tap water. There is enough chlorine to kill the algae, but not the plant.

or

2.)water with H202 once in a while

or....

3.) cover the top of the cup. Hydroton works....but too big for hempy cup. a little piece of panda film might work.

I would not use sand! It will sink to the bottom almost immediately and totally mess up the wicking action of the perlite.

Lastly......

ignore the algae. You'll be transplanting soon enough.

Thanks for coming by DocBud! I've been waiting :high-five: I'm going straight perlite, got a pool test kit today gonna check my tap tonight, I cut in a valve right off the city supply line, so no water softener to screw it all up :cheer: I'll post numbers later too, and see how much I have to cut it to get the TA under 75ppm....

DONT FORGET TO VOTE 4 PLANT :420: OF THE MONTH!

-Have a GReat Day!!!

**HydroLoGisT**

Yeah me too zombo, everything alright? obviously you havn't been around for awhile and I just wanted to say that your in my thoughts and I hope everythings okay and I hope you return buddie.
Take it easy.

lol I love your avatar hydrogrown

High guys,

Life gets in the way sometimes, right? I'm recovering from shoulder surgery, and I'm sad to say that my venture into OC+ hempies has been an unmitigated disaster. Soon, I'm going back to DWC, or gonna go Stinkbud.

I've only got two plants alive out of 26 starts, the OG Kush x Ultimate and a lone femmed WW from seed - I replanted them before they completely gave up the ghost, they're now in 100% coarse perlite, one in a hydrofarm, the other just a plain old 3 gallon bucket with coarse perlite.

No OC+. I'm gonna toss that shit out in the yard :p

Back to GH FloraNova Grow and Bloom -- it wasn't broke, no need to try and fix it.

TTYL.

Great to hear you are OK! I used a similar product (Dynamite) and I liked to shoot myself in the arm for that.

Fox Farms never did me wrong, just trying out less expensive nutes, but as the saying goes.. you get what you pay for.

I see that everyone that used it has had to add this and that to work out, so I'll have to agree with you on this.

Wishing you a fast recovery friend :peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom