Outdoor grower needs dense nugs suggestions

it's not mine

I was out of the hobby for a few years but I'm back. I grow outdoors on Long Island and I've never been able to get that fat, sticky, dense nug. I've always used autos but I'm considering switching to feminized for my next grow which will be around May 2023. The Auto strains I've used are: Northern Lights, White Widow, Gorilla Glue #4, and AK47. My grow area between my shed and my garage gets full sun all day until about an hour before sunset. What do you folks think?

I think if you’re running photos you’re going to see a bigger yield regardless. Long Island is similar to where I am and you can get 90-120 days of veg before flower which is almost as long as some entire auto periods. Bigger roots equal bigger fruits

There are a lot of variables here. I grow photoperiod plants outdoors in greenhouses, in Hawaii. I have a veg house and a flower house. This allows me to have a perpetual grow, by way of cloning. In the veg house, I can control when the plants flower by using night interruption lighting. When I'm ready to flower them, they get moved to the flower house. If you're not going for perpetual, you can veg and flower in the same house. I grow THC and CBD varieties, which are either indica-dominant, sativa-dominant, or 50/50 hybrid. Sativa-dominant have a longer growing time, and longer flowering time. A big concern for me is mold and bud rot, because I'm in a warm, high-humidity climate. Currently I'm investigating mold-resistant strains.

As for dense nugs, i.e. nice fat, sticky buds, that's partly a question of what strain you're growing, but also how you grow it. Generally, if the plants are getting all the nutrients they need, and proper watering, and enough warmth and plenty of sunlight, you'll maximize your chances of growing big, high-resin buds. As others have said, some varieties are known for producing big buds and lots of resin. The first decision point for you is, indica, sativa, or 50/50 hybrid.

Happy growing! 🌞🌱

@Roy Growin , I just noticed that smilies selected during editing the reply are not rendered the same now when the reply is posted. In other words, the smiley selected in the editor is different than the smiley rendered in the reply as shown in the thread. Something has been changed.

@Roy Growin , I just noticed that smilies selected during editing the reply are not rendered the same now when the reply is posted. In other words, the smiley selected in the editor is different than the smiley rendered in the reply as shown in the thread. Something has been changed.
Some maintenance was done today so it may be a short-term blip
Will check
:thanks:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'm going to go with feminized this time. I plan on growing 3 plants. Each one will be different. I want a high THC strain, a very sweet and aromatic strain, and a old-time tried and true classic strain. Any suggestions?

I want a high THC strain, a very sweet and aromatic strain, and a old-time tried and true classic strain. Any suggestions?
For the "very sweet and aromatic", I would suggest a blueberry variety. I grew a Blueberry Muffin (indica leaning) my first year and it's still the best smelling plant I've grown to date.

For the "true classic strain", you could try Trainwreck, Sour Diesel, or Purple Haze. All of them are sativa leaning.

I've never been able to get that fat, sticky, dense nug.
For the plants I've grown, the Indica varieties seem to be fatter and denser than the sativa varieties. I think the key to big, fat, dense buds (besides good soil and nutrients) is training the plants during the grow. I usually top my plants 2 or 3 times during veg. I also do extensive LST to get the top canopy wide and flat. Maybe most importantly, is pruning throughout the grow. I remove all the thin, lanky branches on the bottom and inner section of the plant and remove anything that I think will become larf - even during bloom cycle.
Here's a pic of one of my plants with the fattest and densest buds. It's a Granddaddy Purple (Big Bud x Purple Urkle and indica dominant ). I got over a pound of cured buds out of this relatively small 42 inch plant.

I’ve done a few grows outside this past 4 summers. The ones that came out chunky and with the least amount of issues were.

Black Domina - World of Seeds
Mango Sapphire - HSO
Blueberry - Canuk Seeds
Do-Si-Dos - Canuk Seeds
Gorilla Zkittlez - Barney’s Farm

Back
Top Bottom