Phototropic's First Grow: Pure Power Plant In Soil Under CFL

I had a feeling my journey was too easy.

Confident that the browning tips are a little nutrient burn. As i said previously, i watered them with plain pH'd tap tonight and I'll be mixing my nutes at no more than half strength. Easy enough to deal with i think.

Along with my nute burn, I'm noticing some clawing of a few leaves. Being that i have the burn, it's no surprise that I've got signs of other nutrient over-abundances. Clawing is caused by having too much nitrogen.
420-magazine-mobile826432921.jpg
420-magazine-mobile105436101.jpg

The plan: i was going to continue my veg nutes through the flowering stretch, but this may be their way of telling me that they are done with the nitrogen that veg nutrients have so much of. Cannabis doesn't like nitrogen after the light flip, but a lot of people encourage the veg nutes for a little while after as a transition and to help get some good foliage growth to carry them through the flowering stage. I will be mixing my 1/4 or 1/2 strength BLOOM nutrients tomorrow but they won't taste it until I've done a few plain water days to chase away some of the excess nitrogen and other nutrients.

I also read tonight that my beautiful dark green leaves may be a sign of too much nitrogen as well. This is sad because that's something I've always been proud of; their depth of color.

My worst fear has always been bugs. I've had some attic-spiders hopping around my soil since the start but never more than a couple so i tried not to worry. Figured they'd catch any worse bugs. Now I'm seeing signs of other pests.

Something is eating the edges of a couple leaves:
420-magazine-mobile1961758568.jpg
420-magazine-mobile756729262.jpg

I have some spots developing on leaves that bring to mind spider mites. There's only a handful of marks and I've seen nothing except what looked like a tiny whitish clear dead bug. It was only one, may have been a skin and I'm not 100% that it was a mite, but the possibility has me worried.

420-magazine-mobile1497005285.jpg

I have a fan inside the box that is only on with the lights that I'm going to start leaving on all of the time (i have my intake/outtake computer and server fans running constant). I read that they can't mate in a breeze so if these are early signs of pests, maybe this will help prevent an infestation. I'm also going to get some of this SM-90 stuff to spray on the leaves and soil. I'll be sprinkling some diatomaceous earth on top on the soil to get rid of anything down there as well (i love this stuff for other house bugs because it's not toxic non chemical. It kills through abrasion so there's no hope of them becoming immune to it so long as they pass through it physically).

Anyways, as usual, i will keep you all posted. Also as usual, all comments are appreciated.

Here's a couple quick happy picks:

Lucy, no wilting tonight!
420-magazine-mobile505736642.jpg
420-magazine-mobile272558821.jpg

And Ethel
420-magazine-mobile1734427124.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1013488993.jpg

Peace.

I had a feeling my journey was too easy.

Confident that the browning tips are a little nutrient burn. As i said previously, i watered them with plain pH'd tap tonight and I'll be mixing my nutes at no more than half strength. Easy enough to deal with i think.

Along with my nute burn, I'm noticing some clawing of a few leaves. Being that i have the burn, it's no surprise that I've got signs of other nutrient over-abundances. Clawing is caused by having too much nitrogen.
420-magazine-mobile826432921.jpg
420-magazine-mobile105436101.jpg

The plan: i was going to continue my veg nutes through the flowering stretch, but this may be their way of telling me that they are done with the nitrogen that veg nutrients have so much of. Cannabis doesn't like nitrogen after the light flip, but a lot of people encourage the veg nutes for a little while after as a transition and to help get some good foliage growth to carry them through the flowering stage. I will be mixing my 1/4 or 1/2 strength BLOOM nutrients tomorrow but they won't taste it until I've done a few plain water days to chase away some of the excess nitrogen and other nutrients.

I also read tonight that my beautiful dark green leaves may be a sign of too much nitrogen as well. This is sad because that's something I've always been proud of; their depth of color.

My worst fear has always been bugs. I've had some attic-spiders hopping around my soil since the start but never more than a couple so i tried not to worry. Figured they'd catch any worse bugs. Now I'm seeing signs of other pests.

Something is eating the edges of a couple leaves:
420-magazine-mobile1961758568.jpg
420-magazine-mobile756729262.jpg

I have some spots developing on leaves that bring to mind spider mites. There's only a handful of marks and I've seen nothing except what looked like a tiny whitish clear dead bug. It was only one, may have been a skin and I'm not 100% that it was a mite, but the possibility has me worried.

420-magazine-mobile1497005285.jpg

I have a fan inside the box that is only on with the lights that I'm going to start leaving on all of the time (i have my intake/outtake computer and server fans running constant). I read that they can't mate in a breeze so if these are early signs of pests, maybe this will help prevent an infestation. I'm also going to get some of this SM-90 stuff to spray on the leaves and soil. I'll be sprinkling some diatomaceous earth on top on the soil to get rid of anything down there as well (i love this stuff for other house bugs because it's not toxic non chemical. It kills through abrasion so there's no hope of them becoming immune to it so long as they pass through it physically).

Anyways, as usual, i will keep you all posted. Also as usual, all comments are appreciated.

Here's a couple quick happy picks:

Lucy, no wilting tonight!
420-magazine-mobile505736642.jpg
420-magazine-mobile272558821.jpg

And Ethel
420-magazine-mobile1734427124.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1013488993.jpg

Peace.
Way to stay focused on bugs and pests! I've almost learned to take preventative measures like yourself but I'm still lazy and learning. Kill those fuckers before they hatch! Good looking plants and I'll be waiting to see how that sm-20, 90? I don't know wtf it is atm due to a self induced numbness...but I'll be waiting for your results.

I'll be waiting for your results. .

Hopefully the results will just be that nothing ever happens pest wise. Might never know if i am doing good, but i will know if it doesn't work.

So diatomaceous earth is down. Sprinkled across the topsoil. SM-90 and a hand pump sprayer is on the way so I'll be waking early on Wednesday to spray just before lights out.

Diatomaceous earth is essentially fossil dust. It's such a fine irritant that when a bug gets it on their exoskeleton they try to clean it off and end up ingesting it. It then dries them out and they rub it on themselves in an attempt to get it off. All of this adds up to them destroying their own protective shell and drying out from the inside. They turn to dust. It's weird. It's creepy. It's not nice if you like bugs, but it works. And because it's non-chemical, it has no negative effects on me or the girls. You wouldn't want to breathe it; it's very light and fine and not good for your lungs (wear a mask if you're working with a lot of it). Anything that crawls through this stuff dies. Not sure if the spider mites touch the soil, but it'll take care of anything else. The SM-90 should repel the mites if there are any.

420-magazine-mobile1197199874.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1942286818.jpg

Diatomaceous earth is essentially fossil dust. It's such a fine irritant that when a bug gets it on their exoskeleton they try to clean it off and end up ingesting it. It then dries them out and they rub it on themselves in an attempt to get it off. All of this adds up to them destroying their own protective shell and drying out from the inside. They turn to dust. It's weird. It's creepy.

If the bugs could, they would make horror movies about that shit! :laughtwo:

If the bugs could, they would make horror movies about that shit! :laughtwo:

"The Day the Diatomaceous Earth Stood Still"
It was a quiet planet with no war and unlimited resources. All Insectoids led peaceful, happy lives...until the silica fell. They thought it was an early winter; they were wrong! There was something much more sinister at work.

So i got my SM-90 last night, diluted it 5:1 with ph'd water and put it into the sprayer.

I was reading someone's experience using it directly in their soil to promote root growth and they commented on how high the pH is. They had done some harm using it regularly before they thought to test it. After diluting it, i did confirm that the pH is extremely high. I added about 40 drops of pH Down and it was still showing over 7.0. I took a shot and let it be since I'm just using it as a foliar spray.

Thoughts?

This morning, just before lights out, my wife took care of misting both girls top and bottom. Fans stayed on to aid the drying. I will do another spraying this weekend (3-5 days per the directions).

420-magazine-mobile344706522.jpg
420-magazine-mobile851349428.jpg

When i went in to the box last night i found some more discoloration. I'd love to hear some thoughts from anyone who has experience spider mites before to let me know if that's what I'm dealing with. It had started with only a couple little discolored specks but now I'm seeing some splotches that are larger.

420-magazine-mobile1840157375.jpg

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

When i went in to the box last night i found some more discoloration. I'd love to hear some thoughts from anyone who has experience spider mites before to let me know if that's what I'm dealing with. It had started with only a couple little discolored specks but now I'm seeing some splotches that are larger.

Never seen anything lke this. I'm afraid I can't help you, sorry!
Have you tried a Google image search? Try and find some pictures of leaves that look similar (without restricting your search to only cannabis).

Never seen anything lke this. I'm afraid I can't help you, sorry!
Have you tried a Google image search? Try and find some pictures of leaves that look similar (without restricting your search to only cannabis).

I haven't yet, but will thanks.

In the "Ask us anything" thread someone just posted pictures that may resemble mine. Not sure.

Hopefully the SM-90 i sprayed this morning will repel anything. I think there's something eating leaves now too.

420-magazine-mobile648909678.jpg
420-magazine-mobile60006773.jpg
420-magazine-mobile15885280.jpg
420-magazine-mobile869360686.jpg
420-magazine-mobile387685002.jpg

The SM-90 seems to leave a residue behind. Hopefully that's normal.

420-magazine-mobile886666369.jpg
420-magazine-mobile877185208.jpg

Reapplied the diatomaceous earth tonight. Unfortunately it washes away pretty easily when i water. Not a fan of that but they says it's safe for the soil so fingers crossed.

I'm going to have to start checking the pH of my runoff i think. Only did this once at the beginning (though i probably should more often). Now that I'm adding all of these other things to the mix, especially the high pH of the SM-90 i think i will make it habit starting tomorrow.

Lucy
420-magazine-mobile502740432.jpg

Ethel
420-magazine-mobile1397788125.jpg

For what it's worth when I had spider mites the leaves had spots like yours but more uniform and spread out. The leaves started to gloss and it looked like a deficiency. I didn't know I had them until I saw webbing. I hope your battle of the bugs goes well. I fucking hate pests!

The girls have been expressing their discontent for my watering habits lately. I will be going from counting cups to soaking enough for a couple days. I get so nervous, especially of drowning them, but i think my micromanagement and over-cautious attitude is causing too much stress.

Beware, graphic images to follow:

Lucy very unhappy
420-magazine-mobile1978909447.jpg

Ethel, first time she's ever drooped:
420-magazine-mobile1067187207.jpg

Here is a before and after of about 20 minutes with a couple cups of plain pH'd water each. It has been suggested that that is not nearly enough and i guess i will have to agree. I'll be soaking the soil heavily tonight with our first introduction of BLOOM nutes at half strength.

420-magazine-mobile974712404.jpg
420-magazine-mobile863822509.jpg

Quick update on watering;
Gave them a lot more than usual after that super droopiness in the last post and when i got home yesterday evening they let me know how they appreciated it. See below.

420-magazine-mobile83386015.jpg

Now as far as the discoloration on their leaves:

I only seem to find bad signs on Ethel. Lucy showed the slight nute burn at her tips and the slight clawing on a couple leaves, but i can't find signs of what i thought were bugs.

Ethel has multiple areas that are showing SOMETHING that i can't seem to get a solid id on. Besides the weird brown areas showing up, she has started to show a couple tips that got very dark and brittle. This didn't affect the whole leave, just the tips. Otherwise she seems pretty healthy with the right amount of water.

This is the same discolored leaf I've been showing in other posts as it progresses;
420-magazine-mobile1337434080.jpg

More browning spots;
420-magazine-mobile1620956655.jpg
420-magazine-mobile302342828.jpg

The brittle tips (they look a little brown here because of the lights, but in person they were just dark green);
420-magazine-mobile556442960.jpg

And let's end with some happier pics of my girls looking good from a step back and some close ups of their developing flowers.

Lucy
420-magazine-mobile717488138.jpg
420-magazine-mobile842417045.jpg

Ethel
420-magazine-mobile1671371193.jpg
420-magazine-mobile365737203.jpg

They've shown no real stretch, it's been about 10 days since the flip and they haven't increased in size more than a couple inches. Should i be worried about this?

I've said it many times lately, I'll say it again, i love the website growweedeasy.com.

Went looking for an explanation for my downward cupping leaves on Lucy...
420-magazine-mobile2053434659.jpg

Came across the best explanation for the brown spots I've been dealing with yet. WIND BURN. Fits perfectly.
-- Small burnt looking spots
-- Only on Ethel who is directly next to the fan
-- got worse as i continued to think it might be the start of a spider mite infestation; my first step/precaution was to increase air flow as i read that spider mites can't reproduce in windy environments as easily. I had a feeling i was over doing it but really wanted to stave off pests.

420-magazine-mobile508658293.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1004762100.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1908974160.jpg

So i turned the fan away so it blows off the wall instead of directly onto either girl.

Glad the DE (diatomaceous earth) and the SM-90 are harmless to the girls, because those shouldn't have done any harm. It's funny that the air flow was the thing that hurt the most (assuming i got it now).

Anyways, it's late, I'm not going to go crazy typing. They have both. Ren doing pretty well. As mentioned above, Lucy's leaves have been cupping downward, i will investigate at length tomorrow. Feel free to chime in your opinions.

Thanks for reading.

Lucy
420-magazine-mobile2100464984.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1283074765.jpg

Ethel
420-magazine-mobile199185667.jpg
420-magazine-mobile845509069.jpg

Quick update:
I am confident that the downward cupping of Lucy's leaves are a carry over from her excess nitrogen nutrient burn. It never spread past her tips but this is very possibly another symptom of that. Being that i have switched over to the BLOOM nutes (lower nitrogen) i don't expect the cupping to spread. If it holds off, then i will assume I'm right and i won't worry. If it continues to affect new leaves, I'll have to look back at it.

Well, maybe the middle and the finish then...

Trying to work out my watering technique and starting to look towards how I'll screw up my harvest ...

But it's all experience for a better 2nd grow. Plotting out a nice little room build with better environmental controls and separate veg and flower spaces for going continuous.

Turned off my extra fan altogether tonight. The plants rustle around enough with just the venting fans running. Broke out my DSLR to charge the battery. Saw some trichomes through my loupe. Can't get a solid picture of them so i will be going macro tomorrow night.

No more talk of the girls' problems for now. Just some pretty pictures.

420-magazine-mobile330414999.jpg

Lucy
420-magazine-mobile98810365.jpg
420-magazine-mobile386111443.jpg

Ethel
420-magazine-mobile1599425264.jpg
420-magazine-mobile687877139.jpg

Good morning fellow herbal relief enthusiasts.

So i didn't get the ultra close-ups i was hoping for with my dSLR, but i did get a few nice shots i wanted to share here.

Quick update first. Girls are growing nicely. Noticed a few burnt tips on new growth this morning that deserve attention. I'm only at 1/2 strength BLOOM nutes so I'll be checking my runoff pH tonight to make sure my soil is at a reasonable level. If it's nute burn i may back down to 1/3 strength for a while and see how the girls react.

Other then that, soil has been staying moist, i haven't seen any new signs of the wind burn that was tormenting me for the past couple weeks and the flowers look super pretty.

I've always been a little concerned about my girls' growth rates, but at this point i just want nice, healthy, pest free buds to dry. Hoping for some good weight, but trying to manage my expectations (an ounce out of each girl would make me happy, but I'll know in a couple months if that was reasonable).

Pictures!

420-magazine-mobile1532302300.jpg

Lucy
420-magazine-mobile1061817995.jpg
420-magazine-mobile448232302.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1078351105.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1911432872.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1276757545.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1980789924.jpg

Ethel
420-magazine-mobile120258509.jpg
420-magazine-mobile139133822.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1518317938.jpg
420-magazine-mobile370676605.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1167615561.jpg

---------------------

On a sad note, our pet crayfish died last night. It's weird how attached i got to that ugly thing.
420-magazine-mobile183007497.jpg

---------------------

Have a Good Friday all, trying to pick up some good bud today to improve our quality of sit around-on-our-ass-because-it's-the-weekend time.

Back
Top Bottom