Please Advise on Second Micro Grow Proposed Soil Mix

I saw from a post in one of Doc Bud's high brix threads that you were concerned about Azomite toxicity. I reviewed the literature and came to the same conclusion you must have, that it seems safe enough. I've now got some on order and will decide on the addition based on it's specs, gut feel, and Doc Bud's comment that he used to add a pinch in the amount of it you could pick up with chopsticks. I'm only mixing for a total of 10 gal.

To me, trace elements are like vitamins, to be used in very, very small quantities. A quick look at the ingredients told me it has elements in it that OC+ doesn't, and since am not using soil or stuff like OH Micro, I'm going with it for its breadth of mineral composition.

Cheers

I don't remember the post or the context. I know Doc likes tight control of 'K' and other minerals like 'Ca" and 'Mg'. I may have forgotten, but I don't think it would be a concern in a OC+ grow. As I understand it, there is nothing toxic or problematic with Azomite in more typical N-P-K grows.

I have no doubt you will be successful with the amount of research you are putting into this.

Have you thought of using Doc's kit? It make growing so easy, even I can do it... lol

Thanks. I have some time on my hands for the next couple of months and a hyperactive techie/research/analyst brain that never got used to retirement.

I'm working my way through the Doc's kit threads but it sounds complicated and for a larger scale that what I'm doing, which is only two plants at a time. Not sure about the size and cost of kits, drenching, etc. Will investigate.

But really want to keep this simple. I mean, it isn't called "weed" for nothing. My approach to new fields is to study it hard, pick the essence, set it, and forget it. So the plan is to get a decent soil, control over pH, T, and RH, and then try the variables. Am still trying to figure out if I'd be able to grow non-autos because of the lighting setup, haven't done an LST or SCROG yet, let alone a topping! Have yet to learn to trim bud, dry and cure it, etc. And I only have a 250W 2,700K CFL. Hahaha!

Plus I live at some distance from major centres. I just found a source of Pro Mix BX but it's a five hour drive from me. Fortunately, I had planned a trip there in a week or so!

So much to learn. Glad I found this site and help from guys like you and others, for sure.

:Namaste:

The kit is cheap compared to other methods.

Feedings are measured in "plops". A plop is about an ounce. Foliar sprays have to be measured a little more accurately. No need to PH water or worry about PPM. It really takes all the guess work out of growing. Plus, there is a large community of users that love to help. Doc is also very active on his users journals. He helps me all the time.

I use it and I grow only one plant at a time. Here is a picture of what I'm doing right now.

DSCN039012.jpg
DSCN039315.jpg

Wow. Beauty plant.

I'll send the Doc a PM for more info on basic requirements when my post count gets to 50. Can't do it before then. I definitely want to stick with simple.

Wow. Beauty plant.

I'll send the Doc a PM for more info on basic requirements when my post count gets to 50. Can't do it before then. I definitely want to stick with simple.

You can post in his thread and he will PM you with info.

I found Promix BX locally and got some Azomite. So it seems simple. Per 5 gal pot:

Promix BX - 4 gal
Perlite - 1 gal
Osmocote Plus - 10 tbsp
Dolomite - 5 tbsp (I'm not sure about how much, if any, to get the soil to the right pH)
Azomite - Instructions are 1 tsp per 2" pot diameter
GH Flora Bloom during bloom - 0.5 to 1.0 ml per litre of water. Adjust pH to 6.8

I found Promix BX locally and got some Azomite. So it seems simple. Per 5 gal pot:

Promix BX - 4 gal
Perlite - 1 gal
Osmocote Plus - 10 tbsp
Dolomite - 5 tbsp (I'm not sure about how much, if any, to get the soil to the right pH)
Azomite - Instructions are 1 tsp per 2" pot diameter
GH Flora Bloom during bloom - 0.5 to 1.0 ml per litre of water. Adjust pH to 6.8

Promix already has lime in it for PH adjustment and buffering. I wouldn't add any more.

Promix already has lime in it for PH adjustment and buffering. I wouldn't add any more.

Yeah, I saw that on the list of ingredients.

Some users of basic BX mixes don't use lime, others do saying acidity increases during the grow. Who knows. I'm going to to a mini batch without it, test runoff pH using my tap water, and add it or not depending the result.

Thanks for feedback!

Yeah, I saw that on the list of ingredients.

Some users of basic BX mixes don't use lime, others do saying acidity increases during the grow. Who knows. I'm going to to a mini batch without it, test runoff pH using my tap water, and add it or not depending the result.

Thanks for feedback!

It probably depends on what they use to feed their plants. If they adjust the PH of their feed or water, I suppose I can see how it might end up more acidic.

The reason they add lime is to buffer the soil so you don't need to adjust the PH of your nute's or water. I've been using ProMix for two years and have never added lime or adjusted the PH of my water of feed (GH Flora series, sometimes). For example, the PH of Flora Bloom in the bottle is 3.5. When I mix GH nute's with my well water (7.0 PH) the typical result is 6.3 - 6.4 PH, but it depends slightly on the ratio of the GH products mixed in.

Thanks Major PITA,

That's a very useful reply because I'd like to do exactly what you're doing - water without having to sweat pH adjustments.

But please advise:

- what else is in your soil mix and

- do you bring the pH down from 6.3/6.4 or feed that GH mix without adjusting?

Thanks in advance for you reply.

Thanks Major PITA,

That's a very useful reply because I'd like to do exactly what you're doing - water without having to sweat pH adjustments.

But please advise:

- what else is in your soil mix and

- do you bring the pH down from 6.3/6.4 or feed that GH mix without adjusting?

Thanks in advance for you reply.

When I'm using GH nute's the only thing I add to the ProMix is some EWC. I use ProMix HP that already has Myco in it, but it is the same stuff as the BX just with about 10% more perlite.

I don't add anything to my nute's. The GH mix brings it down to the 6.3-6.4 range all by itself. This is for their "veg" mix. I haven't measured the bloom mix, but I'm not concerned if it is a little higher or lower.

Back
Top Bottom