Post Your Polyploids

Check this girl out. Shes 5 weeks Into flower. Going to give her 8 weeks before harvest. I’m heavy feeding, FoxFarm Beastie Bloomz.

CF93F8E7-559F-4631-B150-A66129FB20C5.jpeg

EFDE2CFF-4A47-4261-968C-6763B45BF424.jpeg

whorled politaxy ^^^^ should only be the apical meristem unless the plant was "topped" you might have a few more with the topping process.

Its one of those mutations that is very difficult to replicate with reproductive selection.

Now I know what is happening here. This is the second plant from the same batch of seeds that has gone this way. Something generic or something else causing this. She is now three weeks into flower and is filling in much faster then her sister. A good trait to have I would think.

The only way to tell is in a lab with testing.
There's a difference between whorled phyllotaxy and a polyploid.
Unfortunately, there's some confusion here between the two.
Without proper testing it's safe to assume none of the plants here are the latter.
For anyone curious on the effects of polyploidization - I'll recommend a study done in Canada titled
"Polyploidization for the Genetic Improvement of Cannabis sativa" where researchers altered a cutting in tissue culture and grew both the modified and unmodified versions side by side for comparison.

Without proper testing it's safe to assume none of the plants here are the latter.
For anyone curious on the effects of polyploidization - I'll recommend a study done in Canada titled
"Polyploidization for the Genetic Improvement of Cannabis sativa" where researchers altered a cutting in tissue culture and grew both the modified and
"Polyploidization for the Genetic Improvement of Cannabis sativa" where researchers altered a cutting in tissue culture and grew both the modified and unmodified versions side by side for comparison.
So, apparently I wasn't watching my plants as closely as I thought the two stems that have the weird flowers started to flatten out as they got taller, and the leaf pattern did change from one to three on the flat parts. The other stems and flowers are normal
20220531_070719.jpg
20220530_191057.jpg
20220530_191030.jpg

Well I had an unexpected surprise when i popped my in the the nursery this morning. Not exactly sure if this is my lucky day or what? But one of my Ace Seeds Bangi Haze fem. sprouts popped up a couple days ago and today she is showing a tri leaf structure. This is the first time I have seen this on a sprout:hmmmm:! So would this be a polyploid?? Will this trait continue through growth to flowering phase? I have not been able to find much info online about this. I have read almost half this entire thread and thought this would be my best source of What Exactly is the definition of a Tri Leafed seedling?

20220605_092301.jpg
20220605_114101.jpg

In the study I mentioned the polyploid plant is basically indistinguishable from the diploid plant.
I think whorled phyllotaxy is when three (or more?) leaves develop per node.
From what I've seen it often gets grown out of after a few nodes.
Fasciation is when you get the celery looking stems - and typically both mutations happen together?

In the study I mentioned the polyploid plant is basically indistinguishable from the diploid plant.
I think whorled phyllotaxy is when three (or more?) leaves develop per node.
From what I've seen it often gets grown out of after a few nodes.
Fasciation is when you get the celery looking stems - and typically both mutations happen together?
OK so far from all I've read today is that a diploid has 1 set of chromosomes from each parent, and a triploid has 2 identical sets of chromosomes from each parent. And I've seen some sites say that a that a triploid and a polyploid are the same thing.

Is this correct?? This seems kinda confusing on my first day of a tri leafer. :rollit:

When you treat the seed or a cutting in tissue culture you double the amount of chromosomes (colchicine?) and you end up with a tetraploid. Then when you cross that tetraploid (4) with a diploid (2) you end up with triploid (3). The triploid in some plant species are sterile but in cannabis that was found not to be the case. That's kind of all I know... Interesting topic though.

edit: lmao I really screwed that up. should be better now.

Back
Top Bottom