Pt.2 - Korloin Goes Hydro!

What's up K'ster! I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts and blueprints for the setup you're attempting.

I'll work a mock up on illustrator of what I'm thinking for the "pretty" hydro system. Want to somehow get the wife more into it and there's no better way to get her on board than to make it pretty. :) Right now, she reluctantly tolerates my endeavor under the stairs. If I can get her hooked too, who knows where we'd be able to take this!:party:

The box is a lil' trickier, being 2x2x4. I have half a mind to tear it all apart and build right into the space it occupies. Have got a great idea for a diy hood using an old pc tower shell and the plexi! Gotta figure out ventilation though. It's slowly coming together in my mind. Then I'd have a lot more freedom to experiment w/ different techniques. we'll see. I'd hate to get half done and shock the plants further while I'm finishing up.

Took a few pics last night. Gonna upload them now and do quick update before I get dinner started.

:peace:

K

Updated Updating!

Cuttings in perlite w/ cellophane bag domes attached (and a random seed I discovered while cleaning my junk drawer:))
IMG_28564.JPG

Gladys hits her 4th node!
IMG_28534.JPG

IMG_28524.JPG

Trudy slowly re-leafing after changeout - 1day post slime.
IMG_28474.JPG

IMG_28514.JPG

Sarafima packing her lil' mini shoots w/ veg again.
IMG_28465.JPG

IMG_28444.JPG

BootyShake gettin' down!:slide::goof::slide: post FIMM
IMG_28415.JPG

IMG_28403.JPG

Making tea (@18hrs brewing right now. This pic is from yesterday when I started her up)
IMG_28381.JPG

Tomorrow I'll add a few cups to each bucket. Haven't seen any slime since changeout, but I'm not taking any chances.
I hope the brew takes. I'm broke so I had to make due w/ what I had around. I put together a mix of 1pt Happy Frog tomato fert and 1 part Espoma tomato tone to 2 parts Sunshine mix with a tsp of BPN Root Magic. I'm hoping the organic ferts in 'em wont do too much.

Please throw me some opinions before I toss this in and fry everyone.! :)

Here are the cultures:

Root Magic

Glomus intraradices.........................53 propagules/gm
Glomus mosseae.............................53 propagules/gm
Glomus aggregatum........................53 propagules/gm
Glomus etunicatum.........................53 propagules/gm
Rhisopogon villosullus.................5,219 propagules/gm
Rhizopogon luteolus...................5,219 propagules/gm
Rhizopogon amylopogon............5,219 propagules/gm
Rhizopogon fulvigleba................5,219 propagules/gm
Pisolithus tinctorius................208,750 propagules/gm
Scleroderma cepa......................5,219 propagules/gm
Scleroderma citrinum.................5,219 propagules/gm

Happy Frog Tomato and Vegetable

Mycorrhizae content

- Glomus intraradices
- Glomus aggregatum
- Glomus mosseae
- Glomus entunicatum
- Laccaria bicolor
- Laccaria laccata
- Pisolithus tinctorius
- Rhizopogon villosuli
- Rhizopogon amylopogon
- Rhizopogon fulvigleba
- Rhizopogon luteolus
- Scleroderma cepa
- Scleroderma geastrum
- Scleroderma citrinum
- Suillus granulatus

Bacterial specifications

- Bacillus amyloliquefaciens
- Bacillus licheniformis
- Bacillus subtilis
- Bacillus pumilus
- Bacillus megaterium

Espoma Tomato tone

Acidovorax facilis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 CFU's per gram
Bacillus licheniformis . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Bacillus megaterium . . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Bacillus pumilus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Bacillus subtilis. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Cellulomonas flavigena . . . . . . . . . . . 21 CFU's per gram
Paenibacillus polymyxa. . . . . . . . . . . 21 CFU's per gram

K

Ok, lights just came on a lil' while ago and Trudy is all slimed up again. Think I'm gonna grab a couple cuttings and drop a couple cups of the early brew infantry in for battle. Fingers crossed! The other 2 are looking ok.

Good plan with the cuttings, you never know! Hopefully you'll solve this root issue, did you try h2o2? I see every hydro grower utilizes a little bit of peroxide to get rid of root rot.

All I had was 3% hanging around. I used that the other night w/ an atomizing pump sprayer to mist the roots after I de-slimed them. Haven't done the math to figure out how much of that I would need in relation to the food grade solution. I imagine quite a bit, so I started looking for alternatives as it seemed that the hygrozyme actually aggravated the issue.

This tea thing makes sense to me. Beastie v. Beastie. As I may have mentioned to you previously ( I think ;)), I'm pretty much sold on the relativism of lifeforms concept. Meaning that by thinking about the way our immune system functions, for example, you could deduce in a very fundamental way the same action in another life form. Be it plant, animal, fungal, microbial or what have you. the only real difference, mechanically, would be the complexity of the organsim in question. The hormones/ bacterial cultures may be different, but not necessarily their function of purpose. For humans our immune system is programmed by our thymus gland early in life. The receivers of that programming are primarily T-lymphocytes. But there are also bacterium in our colon which also take on the program as part of their contribution to the symbiotic relationship with us. They "mark" potentially hostile or pathogenic bacteria for the lyphocytes to investigate. At the same time they have "combat" with other microbes for room in the gut. Hence a chronic yeast infection is a situation where the yeast culture has dominated (overgrew) the host culture and having a free for all with your carbs and upsetting the balance. Same thing would hold true in a flora situation. The difference being mainly the complexity of the mechanics involved. :geek:

So I'ma needing to grow more good beasties to outpace the evil slimy beasties and win the fair maidens nugs's!

Hows that for a dance! :)

Long winded response, I know. But ya know. Every now and again my inherent nerdiness supersedes my ...ahem... wit and charm. :slide::rofl::slide::blunt:

K

So your plan is to introduce either a natural predator or a natural competitor. Do you know or have access to a bacterium that feeds on the specific fungus involved in root rot? (is it a fungus anyway? I'm just assuming..) Is that what the tea is for :)? I never commented on the tea because I thought it was a feeding tea. I thought it was fertilizer :). So does the tea contain what you're looking for? or does it contain so many stuff that you're hoping there will be a few competitors?

You're giving me flashbacks from immunology lol :rofl: staaahhpp

So your plan is to introduce either a natural predator or a natural competitor. Do you know or have access to a bacterium that feeds on the specific fungus involved in root rot? (is it a fungus anyway? I'm just assuming..) Is that what the tea is for :)? I never commented on the tea because I thought it was a feeding tea. I thought it was fertilizer :). So does the tea contain what you're looking for? or does it contain so many stuff that you're hoping there will be a few competitors?

You're giving me flashbacks from immunology lol :rofl: staaahhpp

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Yeah, but mines more of a fucked up Korloin view of immunology. :)

But you get it exactly right. The tea is loaded w/ various microbes that work symbiotically w/ the plants and in brewing it this way I'm increasing the culture count. The algae (actually some type of cyanobacterium from what i remember from the tea post) is considered a pathogen and a competitor at the same time, so the good beasties will challenge, outcompete and ultimately devour the bad beasties. :)
In a nutshell, it's like an organic soil grow in the hydro bucket. I am concerned about the nutes that are also present in the tea though. Mainly about nute burn as I'm running the BPN in the buckets too. I want to feel it out a bit so I don't waste another ounce + of my BPN nutes. I have a lot of grow left and only @ 1/2 qt of the 3part to last through it. I'm sure at some point between now and harvest ill come across the spare bones to pony up for another purchase from Cory, but if not, I could easily fuck myself between then and now.

Also, just finished making a lil' mini aero cloner for the cuttings. ;) All I had around was this wimpy lil' .5w pump so I've got it centered w/ a 1/2 tube set vertical w/ 1/4 hose taped to that with a sprayer nozzle on the end and then a piece of 1/2" PVC over it for support. It's so ghetto. :) but should work fine for rooting until I can take my spare air pump out of the tea bucket. I'll post a pic in a minute. Your gonna laugh. :)

IMG_28623.JPG

IMG_28635.JPG

IMG_28643.JPG

:laugh:

Great link!! Now I m gonna figure out how to build one but their prices are great.

Man, it's SOOOOO easy to build a dwc! That one in Fluffy's post has a drainage spout, which is an awesome idea considering how much of a pain in the ass is can be to change out nutes for multiple buckets! That's why I'm already rethinking my set up. At the least, I'm gonna go RDWC! Got the pump thing figured out now, so I know now how to avoid flooding out the first bucket. :) Unless I can come up with a different idea. Keeping temps down in the buckets will be so much easier if I have a central reservoir to pump (rather push) cool water to all the buckets and to be able to change out 1 thing and be done with it! :)
priceless.
:high-five:

That aerocloner is cool! Hope you get all this figured out.. Im learning more and more about hydro from you all.

Wound up ditching the water pump.
Glad I did a lil test before I just dropped everyone in! It loses pressure to frequently for me to trust it.

So I went with a different tact and put my fogger unit inside the bucket! Partnered it with one of those aquarium air tube things that look like they should totally kill in the aeration dept, but are outshined by a $0.58 airstone. LOL! it's pushing air, so.

The fogger thing was something I considered a while back for the grow itself, but I didn't like the idea that it sterilized anything it fogged from the nute soup. (might be rethinking that in light!:rofl:)
Then last week I came across a thread here somewhere about using a fogger unit in a cloner! I was all Hell Yeah! They ain't need no dang nutes anyway! ;) And then......... history!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:Namaste:

K

EDIT* Mycogrow soluble is the cheapest and most diverse inoculant we have found. It can replace everything here except the ancient forest.

Just noticed this in that tea tutorial. Must have blazed right though it before!

I'm definitely gonna grab some of this regardless. Had been planning on it, but I already was stocked w/ the BPN Root Magic.

Slightly off topic, but the guy who owns the co. that makes MycoGrow is one of my personal hero's! I champion his products daily (especially his Reishi and Turkey Tail for cancers) at work, because I completely believe in them (a rarity, if you new me outside the nets) and his approach. I like to believe he only hocks his stuff in order to fund his ecological work. But that's probably more me pedestal propping than true. :adore: He's a mycologist up in the PNW. Any of you left coasters get a chance, I'd go visit his facility and check out the things he's up to. When I have the time and $ to do so, I'll be up there to take part in one of the seminars he does. Very few people get these accolades from me btw. ;)

He's a great TED talk from a lil' while back.

[video=youtube;Mjv8Zj1ABAc]
[/video]

DWC with Power head is pretty nasty.. It helps keep the water circulating a a high rate ( Which n terms help keep the roots clean from algae and other bacteria stuff that likes to hang out in stagnant water), but also serves as a irrigation system to provide a very high amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. I purchased one a a hint from someone at how well they work.. I will never go back. I also have another pump that is feeding each site. I will record a quick clip with the pump in action, and you can see the amount of bubbles it makes. Plus my reservoir is totally alge free. I also use 29% H202 every week, about 2ml a week. I kno people say not to use the 3%, but if that's what you got, I would use it!. To help balance my ph and clean the water.

Cheers

DWC with Power head is pretty nasty.. It helps keep the water circulating a a high rate ( Which n terms help keep the roots clean from algae and other bacteria stuff that likes to hang out in stagnant water), but also serves as a irrigation system to provide a very high amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. I purchased one a a hint from someone at how well they work.. I will never go back. I also have another pump that is feeding each site. I will record a quick clip with the pump in action, and you can see the amount of bubbles it makes. Plus my reservoir is totally alge free. I also use 29% H202 every week, about 2ml a week. I kno people say not to use the 3%, but if that's what you got, I would use it!. To help balance my ph and clean the water.

Cheers

Thanks Tsak! Mulling over lots of things. Please post that clip. :)

K

What's up K'ster! I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts and blueprints for the setup you're attempting.

Here's my first idea. More for houseplants though.

flowerfountain.jpg

Brilliant TED video :thanks:, amazing what you find out on :420: serendipitous learning at its best!

I almost cried at the end! I am interested in reading more.

Yeah, agreed!

It's fascinating and so simple really. There's a book by Stamets titled "Mycelium Running". It's a great resource for info re: myco's.

Back
Top Bottom