Quickbeam's CFL Rubbermaid Grow

Quickbeam

STRAIN: Northern Lights feminized

Hey all, new user and first grow but I though I'd jump in with both feet. I have learned so much these past few months from this forum and thought maybe I could contribute what I can, so here it goes.

The setup is currently in one 121 litre (32 gal) off-brand rubbermaid which will be stacked on top of a second and a hole cut to accommodate more height. This does severely limit the total height so the plants will be FIMed and LSTed to minimize height.

Germination began the evening of Jan 13, 2014 in a moist paper towel between 2 plates. Less than 24 hours later, all seeds had popped and were showing the radicle. They were all planted on the 15th in 4 inch pots using miracle grow 0.14-0.14-0.14

Another 24 hours later on an 18-6 light cycle and they had all broken the surface. Six 23W 6500k CFLs were being used but the temperatures were getting up to 31 Celsius (87 Fahrenheit) with the fan at full speed, so it's been reduced to four, for a total of 92 watts.

The setup
20140118_152153.jpg

Gratuitous seedling shot
20140118_170607.jpg

The humidity in the house is around a constant 20%, and with the fan moving air to manage heat, the humidity in the box is about the same. Any suggestions on how to raise humidity in the grow box without frying the plants?

:popcorn:

Draped a wet towel over the box, humidity is up to 45% with the fan on. Temperature is around 26 Celsius (79 Fahrenheit) :)
:thumb:

You can also put a small bowl of water in there to boost the humidity.

Just 1 short week after starting germination and here they are:
20140120_191505.jpg

Do they seem a little too light of a green to any of you? I've been letting them dry out then moistening them with a little bit of water daily.

nope, they look great. they are constantly changing at this point, don't go fucking with the soil ecology already.

nope, they look great. they are constantly changing at this point, don't go fucking with the soil ecology already.

Less is more at this stage... I very lightly water my seedlings every day.. Very light tho.. You want the tap root diving down to find moisture, this will make for good rootage.

Your soil will have enough nutrients for now.. The baby girls are very delicate at this stage.. Its the time most plants fail. But with care you will be fine.. Not too wet, not bone dry..

As said in the quote, dont start messing yet, too much too soon will potentially kill the plants off.

Let em blossom a bit, get established in their environent..

They look great, so keep on doing what your doing.

:peace:

personally I soak the soil and let them search for water as the soil dries

Nice setup I have just about the same issue with humidity at times is drops to around 30% but your grow is lookin good for the first few days I also just started a little under a month ago my first plant will be 1 month on Monday its been good so far since I have had all these great growers giving advice. So my advice to you is if you have a question it doesn't hurt to ask the guys and gals of 420 will always be there to help.

personally I soak the soil and let them search for water as the soil dries

This is what I do as well. It sends the tap root deep into the pot in a hurry. Three or four days between watering thoroughly in a 1 qt pot.

So there's been a lot of growth over the last few days. I can't nail down a consistent temperature and humidity, it fluctuates between 18 and 22 degrees celsius (65-70 fahrenheit) during the dark cycle and 25 and 30 (77-85) with the lights on. The towel I'm using dries out quickly when the lights are on so the humidity fluctuates quite a bit from 40% down to the humidity of my house, which is like 20%.
20140125_234332.jpg

Now can any one of you nice people tell me what is causing the edges of the leaves to wrinkle like they are on this seedling (and about half of the rest of them)?
20140125_234401.jpg

20140125_234411.jpg

Other than that they seem happy. I gave them a good watering a few days ago and have been letting them dry out since.

Back
Top Bottom