Raiven's 1st Indoor Grow - THC Bomb Auto - 2014

Hey Raiven, I'd like to hear other's experiences/opinions with this, but IMO, I wouldn't adjust the pH too drastically since your plants seem to be doing fine. If you read the label on your nutes, ie: Tiger Bloom, it says that it "has been formulated with a low pH to maintain stability in storage, and keep micronutrients available"

Since your runoff is still acidic, some adjustment shouldn't hurt, but do it in increments over time. If you adjust the pH too heavily too fast, you'll see signs of lockout. So keep a close eye on your plants while adjusting, bad lockout can really do some damage.

looking good though:thumb:

Hey Raiven, I'd like to hear other's experiences/opinions with this, but IMO, I wouldn't adjust the pH too drastically since your plants seem to be doing fine. If you read the label on your nutes, ie: Tiger Bloom, it says that it "has been formulated with a low pH to maintain stability in storage, and keep micronutrients available"

Since your runoff is still acidic, some adjustment shouldn't hurt, but do it in increments over time. If you adjust the pH too heavily too fast, you'll see signs of lockout. So keep a close eye on your plants while adjusting, bad lockout can really do some damage.

looking good though:thumb:

:thanks:

What would be the next steps in adjusting the pH level in regards to the runoff?
If the pH of the water/nute mix is 6.5-7.0 BEFORE pouring it in to the soil...

Hello Raiven. Welcome to 420. Invited here by SoilGirl and subscribing. Your attic would be a great grow area, but too bad about the heat. Have you considered a whole house fan? Like an attic fan but vents to the house to cool entire house. Mine is 2600 cfm. If it cools at night/early am, the fan will cool the entire house by drawing in cool outside air. I live in NorCal, and it's hot as heck right now. Only had to use ac a few times during extreme heat. These fans aren't too costly. Just a thought for you.

Hello Raiven. Welcome to 420. Invited here by SoilGirl and subscribing. Your attic would be a great grow area, but too bad about the heat. Have you considered a whole house fan? Like an attic fan but vents to the house to cool entire house. Mine is 2600 cfm. If it cools at night/early am, the fan will cool the entire house by drawing in cool outside air. I live in NorCal, and it's hot as heck right now. Only had to use ac a few times during extreme heat. These fans aren't too costly. Just a thought for you.

Hey again BL!
Thanks for the subb...

Thats an interesting idea about the whole house fan... Im going to look into that...
I have a shed outside I was pondering building my new box in...
Im still not sure how to maintain temps and hum without an A/C and or heater (for winter months)
I found out though that with even a NICE intake and exhaust system like I had in my attic, just moving the hot air in and out during the day was just that ... moving the hot air in and out...
I thought the circulation would keep the temp down but it did not
So my fear is that I will find this same issue in the shed box...Although the shed floor is a COOL concrete pad and the structure itself is covered on three sideS and the top by trees...Its never overly hot in there when I go in... So I hope this will be a good place to have the grow area...

I want to move the plants out asap so I can have them in a stable environment and out of my music studio...

:peace:

What would be the next steps in adjusting the pH level in regards to the runoff?
If the pH of the water/nute mix is 6.5-7.0 BEFORE pouring it in to the soil...
well since you already adjusted it to 6.5-7.0 before watering, not much to do besides wait and see how things go for the next few days and go from there.
Just pay attention to your plants :) I believe I read in one of Lester's many informative threads something along the lines of, "listen to your plants. they will tell you when they're thirsty, happy, or unhappy" and I like that statement. Your plants will speak to you. if the adjustments are going well the way you're doing them you'll know soon enough, and vice a versa.

I was just saying to keep it slow and steady, don't go raising the pH of your water+nutes to 8.0-9.0 before watering because of your runoff readings to try and bring your runoff to 6.5-7.0, that could bring the exact pain on your plant that you're trying to avoid by adjusting the pH in the first place. Small adjustments are safer while your plants are looking pretty happy in the first place.

I think that the runoff readings you're getting are a little suspect, because if your pH was really ~4.0 around the roots, your plants would not be looking so healthy as they do.

But please, anyone with more exp here, if I'm giving bad advice jump in and correct me.

well since you already adjusted it to 6.5-7.0 before watering, not much to do besides wait and see how things go for the next few days and go from there.
Just pay attention to your plants :) I believe I read in one of Lester's many informative threads something along the lines of, "listen to your plants. they will tell you when they're thirsty, happy, or unhappy" and I like that statement. Your plants will speak to you. if the adjustments are going well the way you're doing them you'll know soon enough, and vice a versa.

I was just saying to keep it slow and steady, don't go raising the pH of your water+nutes to 8.0-9.0 before watering because of your runoff readings to try and bring your runoff to 6.5-7.0, that could bring the exact pain on your plant that you're trying to avoid by adjusting the pH in the first place. Small adjustments are safer while your plants are looking pretty happy in the first place.

I think that the runoff readings you're getting are a little suspect, because if your pH was really ~4.0 around the roots, your plants would not be looking so healthy as they do.

But please, anyone with more exp here, if I'm giving bad advice jump in and correct me.

I also like that statement about listening to the plants...
I wish they could talk hahaha...

They do seem to be doing very well which is why I was surprised to get such a low reading from the runoff...
I wont have to water or anything again for a few days easily i suspect...
So I will just keep everything updated on here day by day in case anything changes...

I assumed I would have to try to bring the pH of the water/nute mix up before pouring it in the positively affect the pH of the runoff but I wasnt totally sure...

The next watering I will test again and post the results...

Day 27
Veg. Day 17
07-09-14 6:00 pm

-All plants looking really good
-Small plant looks great except for some spots that have appeared on the first set of serrated leaves
-Medium and Large plants are flourishing
-No Water
-No nutes
-Temp.: 79 deg - 108 deg
---A/C on all day
-Hum.: 26% - 76%
---Im wondering if I am reading the meter wrong??? (PLEASE SEE LAST PICTURE OF THIS POST)
------The top number on the meter is the relative humidity
------Below that are 2 numbers, the LOW and HIGH humidity levels
---------I take these two numbers and I have been posting these as the humidity range for that day
---------Im just not sure now after all the comments about the range being to broad
------The same goes for the temp which has the same layout of the humidity
-24 hr light
-1/4 turn each plant
-Fan on all day
---Most of the day fanning indirectly just moving the air around the whole room
---6:00 pm and on -> direct fanning

-------------
SMALL PLANT
-------------
20140709_173524.jpg
20140709_173553.jpg
20140709_173621.jpg
20140709_173634.jpg
20140709_173648.jpg

---------------
MEDIUM PLANT
---------------
20140709_174119.jpg
20140709_174128.jpg
20140709_174143.jpg

-------------
LARGE PLANT
-------------
20140709_174358.jpg
20140709_174410.jpg
20140709_174419.jpg

--------------
GROUP SHOTS
--------------
20140709_174723.jpg
20140709_174728.jpg

20140709_1747501.jpg

------------------
TEMP/HUM METER
------------------
20140709_174813.jpg

this is an awesome read! :nicethread: i'll catch up, just had to stop reading for a sec & comment :goodjob:

raiven's yard , the attic :party:

Thank you TC!!!

Sub'd I got the same seeds ready to go as well once my current grow is done.

Thanks for the subb Athos!!!
Subbin back

The description of these plants is what prompted me to get the seeds...
They are coming along great...
Def stay tuned for the SMOKE REPORT :tokin: hahahaha

I was just sitting here contemplating TOPPING this small plant...
I want to get practice in and I figured why not try it on the LEAST HEALTHY plant...

Im going to watch a few videos on the subject while I wait for the amazing replies everyone is about to send me!!

***EDIT*** (like 2 hours later hahahaha)
OK so I went and watched like 23 videos on TOPPING, FIMING & SUPER-CROPPING and Im even leaning toward doing all three plants...
I have NEWBIE nerves though and I dont wanna screw them up LoL...

If I were to do it I think I would go with TOPPING...It seems the easiest and most fool proof way to keep the plants bushy and TOP-full if you will...

THOUGHTS PLEASE !!!!! :adore:

:ganjamon:

Day 27
Veg. Day 16
07-08-14 6:00 pm

-Plants are looking great
-Medium & Large Plants flourishing with no signs of any problems
-Small Plant is definitely showing new growth without any issues
---Lowest set of leaves still yellow brown & curling (necrosis??)
------Removing this set tonight
-Brought plants outside for watering and feeding
-Filled ONE gallon jug with tap water for pH testing
---pH test shows results of 6.5-7.0
---Color is a yellowish green
20140708_175921.jpg
20140708_180654.jpg

-5th day of nutrients FF Week 3
-----Big Bloom - 3 tsp
-----Grow Big - 1.5 tsp
-----Tiger Bloom - 1 tsp
-----Boomerang - 0.5 tsp
-----Microbe Brew - 0.5 tsp
-----Mixed all together into 1 gallon of water (each plant)
-No misting
-Temp.: 73 deg - 108 deg
-Hum.: 30% - 54%
-24 hr light
-Turned plants a few times (lost track of orientation after moving them outside)
-Fanned directly for 6+ hours / plus breeze of being outside for an hour during feeding

--------------
<pH TESTING>
--------------
-Small Plant
---Tap water with nutes
------Water w/ nutes tested ACIDIC
------Color came up reddish indicating a pH of between 4.0 - 5.0
------Added 0.75 tsp of pH UP to get it back to 6.5 - 7.0
---Poured in the mix into Small Plant
------Took about 3/4 of the gallon and then got heavy runoff
------After approx. 30 seconds of runoff I grabbed a sample for testing
---------Results of runoff testing were ACIDIC
---------Color was reddish indicating a pH of between 4.0 - 5.0

-Medium Plant
---Tap water with nutes
---Poured in the mix into Medium Plant

-Large Plant
---Tap water with nutes
---Poured in the mix into Large Plant

20140708_182256.jpg
20140708_182414.jpg
20140708_182836.jpg
20140708_183342.jpg

---------------------------------
SMALL PLANT 07-08-14 PICTURES
20140708_192648.jpg
20140708_192730.jpg
20140708_192807.jpg
20140708_212506.jpg
20140708_212535.jpg
20140708_212620.jpg

----------------------------------
MEDIUM PLANT 07-08-14 PICTURES
20140708_193052.jpg
20140708_193103.jpg
20140708_193136.jpg

LARGE PLANT 07-08-14 PICTURES
20140708_193438.jpg
20140708_193452.jpg
20140708_193505.jpg

GROUP SHOTS 07-08-14 PICTURES
20140708_192010.jpg
20140708_192019.jpg
20140708_193613.jpg
20140708_193620.jpg

Here a couple of references for problem solving issues with your plants.
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/pH_chart7.jpg
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/cannabis_leaf-deficiencies31.jpg
Plant Abuse Chart
These should help you diagnose any issues/problems.

Back
Top Bottom