Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

Gangagrowergu Those plants look great. That old outlaw knows his shit. I just finished another of his "Untested" hybrids with great results.

The Grape part really grabs my interest. I've had lots of berries but no grape. Can't wait to try it.
Thanks. Grape soda and forest floor. Tastes just like she smells too. Brought about good pain relief, a rush near that of a potent sativa, and a solid bout of confusion. The rush and confusion clears up in half hour-45 minutes and then it's time to be baked like an indica for the next couple of hours. Stuff is so good I may be planting 6 more later this week.

Thanks. Grape soda and forest floor. Tastes just like she smells too. Brought about good pain relief, a rush near that of a potent sativa, and a solid bout of confusion. The rush and confusion clears up in half hour-45 minutes and then it's time to be baked like an indica for the next couple of hours. Stuff is so good I may be planting 6 more later this week.
That sounds like some amazing smoke, enjoy brother!!

Pulled Green Chain a few times in my younger days in Oregon. Mindless labor at it best lol.
Green chain is a b!+#. I was so happy the day the planer broke down and I got the chance to prove I could read a tape measure. Lol. The finishing side of the mill never gave me back.

Best recommendation ever. If you are planning to pop more seeds then it is a good strain.

Gangagrowergu mentioned a major point. The intensity a buzz starts with has a lot to do with how it is perceived. What I am noticing with the strains I have right now. Intensity and how long a high lasts are 2 different things. My strongest strains right now are intense. They don't last as long as some of the others I know are less than 20%.

What is better? A strain that gets you baked with just a couple hits then goes away in a hour or so. Or a strain that doesn't hit as hard at first but lasts 3 hours LOL.

I compared 2 strains 1 intense and 1 normal. The length of time a joint lasted was about the same. I bumped myself up a lot more with the intense weed but it only took a couple hits to get back to where I wanted to be. My problem is when the intense part is over my highs don't show any body high. The high stays but you are functionable and alert. Who wants that LOL. The less intense strains I may finish a joint in 2 sessions spaced farther apart. In the end a joint last me about the same length of time.

All strains are going to react differently when compared these ways. Some won't do well after others. This is the first grow I have had when everything makes itself known when ever smoked. The quality of my weed is better this time even if it is not stronger. Flavors and quality of high are everything I could have asked for. It just sucks I have summer weed in the winter All this daytime weed would be great with long days and open water LMAO.

Started a day early just to be ready. Flowering both tents now. It ended up pretty simple so I can't complain. I don't know why I started early LOL. I have to admit I have lots of tops in the canopy for plants that were never topped. Mostly it is the time it took them to do it. Between super cropping and bending They bushed out without missing a beat. Manifolding and screens can get lots of tops but that takes time. I didn't have much time to make a good bush but it seems to have worked out fine.

Now that everything is in flower and split up. I can give the plants a little more one on one time. I usually trim some of the plant down right before stretch. This time I am not going to do much of anything tell after stretch. Then I can lollipop them. What I haven't decided yet if I am going to take any branches off.

In lots of cases if you take lower branches off. The plants will put all their energy making bigger buds on what branches are left. Not sure how much it changes plant to plant but I does change strain to strain. The better you know a strain the better you can manage its growth for production. With unknown strains it is hit and miss. If you take branches from plants that have lots of small buds then you just hurt yourself. Strain info can help. From what I have found you have to grow a plant to really see. Just like what kind of high they have. How they grow doesn't always end up how they say.

All this is why I am doing everything untopped this time. I know enough little tricks to try and get them to react the way I want. Some are working with plan A while others needed plan B. They all are bushing out nice. The next 3 weeks will decide everything on how well they fill the tent. My biggest concern will be how to control a bunch of twisted bushes LOL. Easy to keep a plant standing when it goes straight up. Balance does wonders. Now most of all my plants have twisted stalks that are going to need to be held up other ways. I have plans for that already. Will it work? Who knows never tried it before.

Kind of makes you wonder why I insist on doing things different every time. If your not wondering then I sure am LOL. My future growing plans are going to change. Not sure how yet but they will. As much as I want to just mother up to a few great plants and just grow clones. I still like to much variety to get away with that. Might not be a bad idea to do a Purple Betty and a Cinderella 99 mother and grow variety with the rest. The biggest thing is. Do I have enough seeds of a certain strain to find a great one worth mothering up to? That is only a yes with a couple strains so far. That is when you just consider store bought seeds. Now I have my own stuff to look at there are plenty of seeds to search through.

That is another thing to figure in. I am finding strains that fill my needs more and more. Now I know what I like more I am going to find more. Thing is the strains I am growing should continue to get better. No way I have the best there is yet. The best there is could be lots different next year LMAO.

Not much to add today. Other than good news. I had a couple small buds that broke off while trimming the Chocoloco clone I pollinated with the reversed Critical pollen. They finally dried enough to break up. 2 seeds! One of the buds produced both seeds. I don't remember where on the plant the bud was. I might get lots or I might only get a few. There will be seeds one way or the other.

With luck there will be seeds in the Headband plant I pollinated with the same Critical pollen. If so that is going to give me lots of Headband hybrids to look at, If the new project works like I think it will I should have hybrids going both ways. I will also have female Headband seeds from 2 different phenos. One to the best smelling the other to the biggest plant. Both pollinated by the best overall plant.

Also big news. The great plant I had labeled as Genius in the small tent wasn't Genius. Not sure who screwed it up me or them. The seeds had not had a chance to be packaged into the new breeder packs. There is a chance they made the mistake. If not I must have labeled it wrong. Pretty sure one of Genius and the Basic 99 seeds got switched. They were in different tents and grew different so it was hard to tell. The purple looking Basic 99 tastes more like Genius then it does the Basic 99. Color is what through me off. I thought it was just temp differences at first. Tastes don't lie. It's Genius for sure. No big deal in the end as both are good plants. The only thing that changed is now the Basic 99 is being feminized with the reversed Headband pollen. Same great plant same great high just a different name. It is the best Basic 99 of the bunch so I am still using the best pheno for the hybrid. Great plants are great plants so the different name doesn't matter.

Good thing the Genius didn't win the POTM contest. It would have been based on a lie LMAO. 2 more plants to check for Feminized seeds when they dry. Other plants pollinated with the same pollen produced seeds so everything looks good as of now.

I can not complain at all at how the plants from the first grow came out. I have a bunch of really good weed this time. Probably the best Sativa dominant grow I have ever had. I can smoke too much of everything for some situations. Only one mediocre high in the bunch. The R.K.S. while strong is nothing fancy. It isn't the most notable high. It does work well and has some of the stoned effect I need. You may not feel yourself getting higher. It does make you higher and brings some bottom end to the mix. It will help with sleep a little at least. The fact that everything is so strong keeps me very happy. What really hurts is the indica dom trim I make edibles out of is non existent LOL. I might be back to Advil PM by the time the next harvest can bring me more trim.

And I have some great daytime cookies LMAO. Damn the luck. These are my first cookies so far. Worked well if you only want to eat a half a cookie. They work ok at nighttime. It just takes a lot of concentration to slow my brain enough to sleep.

One thing I do like. The Tahoe hybrid and a couple others are so strong you can make your head spin and still get no paranoia. I like to be able to feel the high in my head. Great strains will do that and have different levels of body to them. Almost every strain I grew this time does it. All of them are slightly different but they all are more heady than not. What is really funny is it is different parts of the head that are affected.

Of course there are the Headband ones that hit you right behind the eyes. With so much heady weed this is the first time I noticed it affecting different parts of my face. The Genius seems to hit you more in the lower part of the head. Tends to put a stupid look on your face LMAO. The Tangilope on the other hand hits me closer to the top of the head. Most you can make yourself stupid with and still not fall asleep.

For me this all matters. The Jack the Ripper I grew and loved was really strong but is was not really noticeable in the head. The high was good and long lasting it just wasn't a in your face strong. That is not the case with any of my sativa dominant strains this time.

Wow. Not much to say today.

Most intelligent people just keep their mouths shut at these times. That is just not me LMAO.

Not sure if I am not like most people or not intelligent. Pretty sure I have posted proof of each at one time or the other. It is at times like these when my mind really goes to work. What makes things different this time is I get to imagine what the seeds I made will do. Not what the seeds I have bought will do.

When I purchase a strain I have a pretty good idea of what it will do. I either know of their reputation or have tried the strain myself. While the first hybrids were made on the run. These next hybrids are coming from plants I get to smoke. I get to see the effects of each plant on its own. How they will mix I can only imagine for now. In a couple of case's I can't help but get excited.

Now that I have had a chance to try a bud of the reversed Headband plant I am even more excited. Great flavor and a great high. It is by far the best pheno. I took double clones of each so it was easy to end up with the right pheno LOL. It had the smell I didn't know for sure it had the right high. That part has been confirmed now. Any hybrids from this plant will have its genetics. Whether they transfer is still up in the air. At least it is there to start. The Genius plant I was so proud of that turned out not to be Genius. Is in there with that Headband clone. It is as strong as anything I grew this time.

Same with the Tangilope. The pheno I cloned is by far the best one. While I didn't do this quite right the outcome worked like it should. Just because I didn't know at the time they were the best ones. Doesn't mean shit LOL. I could very easily throw them out if they were not good. The fact that I took them gave me the chance to be VERY lucky.

Not only that but I have the 2 best Headbands together to be crossed. Both had great smell. Other than that they were different. One flowering earlier with a more indica dom growth type. The high is good but not as strong as the one that was reversed. It should give me a good mix of Headband phenos to look at.

Like I said there is so much to think and dream about. That is not even counting what is going to happen when I pop the Headband x Tahoe Og or the Headband x Critical. Or the Chocoloco x Critical it could be a fruity mess of trichomes if things go right.

Good morning Jack. I'm sure the genetics will shine through. All had great potential in there background. I have a question for you about DNA lemon skunk. Are you familiar with that one. I've got some regs from a friend thinking about running them next time

Everything I have seen crossed with Tahoe Og so far have been straight frost monsters. Every hybrid you made should have something special. Excited to see you grow them out bro!!

Can’t wait to see these homemade crosses. A lot of the crosses being made for seed banks is getting old.
I most certainly agree. I'm trying to stick with making my own crosses for as long as humanly possible. I believe I am up to 14 healthy seedlings in various stages. Talking to the wife this morning and there is pretty much no way to avoid keeping a Male and making more crosses even though I planned to have a huge sinsemilla crop.

Most of my on hand genetics are from private breeders, now including myself. Making my own hybrids has become a bit of an obsession around here... still learning how to pick males.

I always grow multiple varieties. I don't usually fill my tent to capacity though. I'll probably only save one male to keep things simple, don't want any confusion with too many bulls in the pasture.

Back
Top Bottom