Ranger275 - Adventures in the 2nd Dimension

Ok Rad, I'll bite. Why since 13?

the latest photo update is great can't wait to see them near the end of this adventure.

Might be trying a bit of trellising on some of my outdoor sundeck this year.

Mr. deMille, I'm ready for my close-up.
Update BloomDay7. Did a little training today, so figured I'd make a quick update. I'm starting to feel like a broken record: happy plant just keeps growing and looking great. No fuss, minimum drama. I should be grateful, but w/the formidable brain-trust behind me, I almost wish something would go wrong! Foolish, I know.
Here's after and before training:
after19.JPG

b432.JPG

A thousand pardons for my lousy photography. Believe it or not, these were the best of the lot. You can, I hope, see that she's happily growing clock-wise around her support. All the branches look slim and healthy, which is what I was expecting. While stout stems can be a good indicator of vigor, I don't smoke them, and would prefer that she put her precious energy towards flower production.
Re Post#100: A Lelle in Estonia too? This one's in Hungary, near Lake Balaton. Old neighbors in Chicago said there's also one in Poland, but I don't know where. If you go, beware of the plum brandy: it's a creeper. Yes, sadly, that is the voice of experience speaking.

Couple of questions:
1. I've searched and searched for genealogical info on Trainwreck & only come up w/vagaries. Anybody know where this lovely strain comes from?
2. She's still not thirsty! If she weren't growing, or looked unhealthy, I'd be more concerned. As it is, I'm more curious. I give her a cup or so of rainwater every 3-4 days and she's leaks out 1/2 of it. She gets a good misting every morning 5-10min before lights on, could this be an explanation? Any other hypotheses? Mystified.
Love and respect.

The consensus opinion on trainwreck (According to medicalJane:)

TrainWreck-genetics consist of-Mexican-(Sativa),-Thai-(Sativa),-Afghani-(Indica), making this strain a-Sativa-dominant Hybrid. Predominantly affecting the mind, patients can expect TrainWreck to provide a significant rush of adrenaline, coupled with a calming body buzz.

TrainWreck Considered Highly Potent

Despite-TrainWreck-being Sativa-dominant, it will provide a nice mellow body melt (from the Afghani genetics) that helps with chronic aches and pains.

The standard legend that makes me believe "original" trainwreck genetics will never be sorted out until they actually have a cannabis DNA database.

Developed out of Humboldt County in the late 80′s, this classic sativa has become a staple of California’s medical cannabis community much in part to its signature ‘piney lemon fuel’ essence along with its remarkable therapeutic/euphoric properties. Legend has it that Trainwreck was discovered somewhat serendipitously after a pair of brothers were forced to prematurely harvest an outdoor grow due to a nearby locomotive accident. To their astonishment (& luck), their crop was ready for harvest (something that’s atypical of most true sativa breeds). In honor of their discovery the strain was appropriately dubbed ‘Trainwreck’, a name that has remained a fixture of the medical cannabis scene ever since. Trainwreck has gone through some major transformations over the years as its breeding lines have been increasingly stabilized with skunk/indica genetics in an effort to increase its indoor garden productivity (while out-breeding its unwieldy, finicky, & hermaphroditic growth patterns.) Trainwreck's unique characteristics have made it a popular breeding plant finding its way into many hybrids such as Caboose, A-Train, Zeta Kush, Sour Wreck & many more.

UPDATE BloomDay9
overall14.JPG

An overall view. I'm convinced that she regularly nips out for a pint w/her pals after I'm racked out. No other explanation for her lack of appetite for water. I'm pretty religious about the AM misting, but that's on the order of tablespoons. There are flowers forming all over! I might do a little trim job down low, but other than that, I'll just let her do her thing.
sidebud1.JPG

topbud1.JPG

Here's a good view of training:
LBranch.JPG

We had a pretty ferocious rain storm the other day. In the afternoon, it evolved into a lightning/hail storm. I hadn't seen hail in many moons, so was pretty excited. Ran out and collected some hail and watered w/it. I thought that the lightning would ionize the water before it quick-froze in the howling gail at altitude. Was this completely nutty? Anybody know any advantages to ionized water? Seem to remember something about this circa the days when Oxygen-bars were popular.

Radogast and SweetSue: Thx folx for leaping into the breach. Poor Seraphoguz was having real problems, and you both helped, and made him feel like he was not alone w/his probs. I'm grateful on his behalf.
Happy trails!
RLTW

nothing like a good storm, could not agree more,, one thing that came to mind when you mentioned putting the hail in there is the temp of the hail/water. i am unsure how relevant that is at all, but i do wonder, and i am careful not to put cold tap water on anything, again, not sure how relevant that is. your flowers are lovely, and valentines day coming,, perfect, cheers

Nice update, Ranger. :goodjob::thanks: Now it's going to be really interesting, watching how those flowers develop on Great Aunt's training.

The water I use is from an ice-cold mountain spring. I let it warm up a little before using, but I've no idea whether it matters on not. As for "ionised water", I always thought it was a scientifically meaningless term, made up by the woo-woo merchants to sell us expensive H2O and electrical equipment. Very happy to be proved wrong though. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ranger,
I always thought that "ionization" was something that happened to the air during lightening strikes....something to do with how the air seems so much fresher after a storm. I have never heard of a storm affecting water? That doesn't mean much though because there's other stuff I've never heard of too. :)
:Namaste:

Ranger,
I always thought that "ionization" was something that happened to the air during lightening strikes....something to do with how the air seems so much fresher after a storm. I have never heard of a storm affecting water? That doesn't mean much though because there's other stuff I've never heard of too. :)
:Namaste:

People getting hit by hurricanes would disagree lol. I'm just kidding I always thought it was creating a positive charge in the waters ions. I to thought this to be a farce is it not?

Ionized air is air in which the oxygen content has been given an electrical charge where it either has a negative charge due to the presence of one or more extra electrons per oxygen molecule, or a positive charge due to the presence of less than the normal number of electrons per molecule. Most air purification systems that claim to ionize the air are imparting a negative charge to oxygen molecules. This allows the molecules to act as natural attractors for dust particles and pollutants in the air and serve as a form of general cleanser for enclosed environments. Ionized air is also more prominent in nature after a rain and lightning storm, which explains why the sky often appears brighter and clearer after a storm has passed than is normal on a dry, sunny day.
The idea behind using ionization to purify the air is generally credited to Alexander Chizhevsky, a 20th century Russian scientist who founded a field of study known as aero-ionization to research the effects of ionized air on living things. In his early twenties, he invented the first version of an air ionizing system known as the Chizhevsky Chandelier. The Chandelier was initially built in 1918, and was a device that converted static electricity present in the air into usable electricity in the range of around 40 volts. Also known as the Chizhevsky ES-DC Generator or electrostatic-direct current generator, it was capable of generating higher levels of power, and, in the process, also ionized the air around it.
Some controversy exists about the safety and value of ionized air systems, because, in the process of charging oxygen molecules, small levels of ozone are also produced. The presence of ozone in the air, which is a triple-bonded oxygen molecule of O3, can be dangerous as it is a powerful oxidizing agent. Ozone is known to kill off bacteria and germs in the air, but, at the same levels, it is considered a toxic gas for human exposure. Daily averages above 0.1 parts per million (ppm) or 0.2 mg/m3 are known to be harmful to the human respiratory and smell-sensing systems of the body.
Who knew? :)
People getting hit by hurricanes would disagree lol. I'm just kidding I always thought it was creating a positive charge in the waters ions. I to thought this to be a farce is it not?

WiseGeek.com Clear answers for Common questions better than Wikipedia for sure, I built an Ozone Generator years ago, had it running in my house 3 minutes per hour or 1 minute every 20, built it out of a neon light ballast a muffin fan 4" pvc pipe some perforated metal and some glass. worked well to keep the house fresh.

mini-UPDATE BloomDay10:
Pretty lady's up to around 33", w/excellent color. Little flowers popping up all from top to bottom. We'll see in around 7 weeks if this whole 2-D notion worx if those bottom flowers fill out the way I hope. Fingers crossed. Here's a couple baby bloom pix. Tried to get better focus by holding a book of poetry by a very cool neighbor of mine up behind. Any advice on getting better pix? They look good on the screen, & then turn out a mess when transferred.
RBranch.JPG

BabyBud21.JPG

BabyBud3.JPG

Thx everybody for the advice on using hail as a water source. I was worried about the temp too, but figured, once in a blue moon, why not? I bet any dubious benefit of ionization was outweighed by cold feet.
BEATEO: Many thx! The answer to your question, "Who knew?", is: you did. And you were good enough to share.
DuttyPanty: Very flattered you like the training system. For non-420 gardens it's best for vining plants like tomatoes zucchini and cucumber. It's very important to use brown (sisal) twine as the fuzzies on the twine and the fuzzies on the vine make enough friction to support a heavy fruit-laden vine.
For tomatoes: Pick/make a vertical support. Can be a fence, tree or post or anything. Tie a fat loop to the bottom of the plant, unwind twine to top of support, and add a 4-6' tail of twine. Knot the end so it won't unravel. Loop a few times around your top, but don't tie it, you'll need it later. Begin training. As you know, tomatoes ripen from the bottom, up. When the plant reaches the top, the bottom will have already ripened and been picked. Instead of building a higher trellis, unloop the top, let out some slack, and lay a fat coil of spent vine right on the ground. Re-secure what's left of your tail and you now have several more feet of growing height. This can be done over and over again. So your plant is 10-12' long, but only 6' high. Low trellises are cheaper and don't blow over in the wind. Worx like a charm and costs about a nickel.
Happy days!

Ranger, I find it often works better to take the picture a bit further back and then edit and crop. My daughter - a one shot iPhone camera genius - tells me any picture improves with a good crop.

Nice looking lady Ranger :goodjob:

Im very familiar with the vining training, I really love this way to train plants. Your style is very interesting, great work :thumb::thumb:

I find it very beneficial for nutrient flow within the plant, better light penetration, equal distribution of light, better air flow, and by constantly twirling the stems you get stronger tissue in the stems and side branches. Just by looking at the plants you can tell they like to be pushed.

Back
Top Bottom