Rastas' First Grow

Hey Rastas, nice to meet ya and welcome to the 420 Mag community. You are starting to get some traffic in here I can see and I think I will tag along for the ride as well. I would also recommend going with all indicas for your first grow, they are a little easier to maintain IMO and wont overcrowd your space when you weren't expecting it. This will give you a good feel of what to expect the with the sativa's since they grow taller. Also remember that once a plant goes into its flowering cycle it most times double in size, I have some auto's growing now that actually tripled in size from the first signs of pre-flowers after they showed their sex. Good luck with everything, I will be looking forward to your next update with equipment all set up. Let the party begin over here!! :)

Hey Rastas, nice to meet ya and welcome to the 420 Mag community. You are starting to get some traffic in here I can see and I think I will tag along for the ride as well. I would also recommend going with all indicas for your first grow, they are a little easier to maintain IMO and wont overcrowd your space when you weren't expecting it. This will give you a good feel of what to expect the with the sativa's since they grow taller. Also remember that once a plant goes into its flowering cycle it most times double in size, I have some auto's growing now that actually tripled in size from the first signs of pre-flowers after they showed their sex. Good luck with everything, I will be looking forward to your next update with equipment all set up. Let the party begin over here!! :)

Thanks brother! As per suggestion, I will definitely stick to the indicas. I was under the impression that autos didn't flower so big, clearly I was wrong. I'll soon be able to confirm this myself :)

The sativas I will save for outdoors come spring, or if I get too hooked on this new hobby, I'll buy another tent - a sativa tent!

I just ordered my lighting. I went with the Mars II 1600. The reviews are just too good. But I couldn't help myself, I also have a couple of nice centrifugal fans if needed, a big carbon filter and silencer, Growlush 1000W HPS light kit, propagation kit...the list goes on I think you get the picture!

I couldn't say no for the price. I may experiment with the bulb set up later, but for now it's all about the LED. Photos to come in the next few days. I'm aiming to please :)

Thanks brother! As per suggestion, I will definitely stick to the indicas. I was under the impression that autos didn't flower so big, clearly I was wrong. I'll soon be able to confirm this myself :)

The sativas I will save for outdoors come spring, or if I get too hooked on this new hobby, I'll buy another tent - a sativa tent!

I just ordered my lighting. I went with the Mars II 1600. The reviews are just too good. But I couldn't help myself, I also have a couple of nice centrifugal fans if needed, a big carbon filter and silencer, Growlush 1000W HPS light kit, propagation kit...the list goes on I think you get the picture!

I couldn't say no for the price. I may experiment with the bulb set up later, but for now it's all about the LED. Photos to come in the next few days. I'm aiming to please :)

Growers have gotten huge yields with a combo of LED and HPS in flower. You should have close to a pound of quality herb in about 3 months. Don't worry about the cost of the setup. It will pay for itself in the first or second harvest.

Cheers :roorrip:

Hey man. Welcome to the forum.. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.. what size tent did you go with..?

Hey Reckless, I got a 5x5x7 (ish) with a height extension Gorilla Grow Tent. Mars Hydro is on its way confirmed.

Tomorrow I'm clearing out under the house so I can erect the tent and see what else I need/don't need. I imagine there will be a few trips to the hydro store this weekend! I will have pictures Monday with the set up. I'm contemplating a Phresh Hyper fan with the climate control to make life easier when it comes to controlling the temperature in there. On the same note, with just the LED for this grow, I'm not sure if I'll need the fan. It's almost winter here.

I'll start germinating when I get home from work tonight.

Growers have gotten huge yields with a combo of LED and HPS in flower. You should have close to a pound of quality herb in about 3 months. Don't worry about the cost of the setup. It will pay for itself in the first or second harvest.

Cheers :roorrip:

I figured that would be the case. I will definitely have a couple of autos growing.

It's funny you say that about the costs of set up. I used to take a shot glass full of medication before bed EVERY night. It's ridiculous the cost of psychiatric medication. Although, I would use that term loosely. I've never felt better medicating with cannabis. I did the math. In medication alone I was spending near $3,500 a year. Pretty sure I won't mind spending a little cash on some electricity and organic material to make my own dispensary :)

I was slowly killing myself, like so many other individuals lead to believe the drug store is the safest bet.

AKgramma has been kind enough to post some info on growing OG Kush as well as some photos for me. I'm going to switch the OG Kush out for the White Widow, as I feel I might be getting a little ahead of myself. I will germinate when I get home from work tonight and post the official start of the journal in a few days with the appropriate layout and information. I've chose an auto too. Bubba Yum.

The Autos don't change light schedules. They stay on an 18/6 or 20/4 schedule. If you are growing photos you have to veg then you initiate the flowering period by switching to 12/12.
So, if you are planning to grow them all in the same tent, you will have to change the light schedule to make your photos go into flower. You will have to check but you might lose a little yield if you switch the autos to 12/12 from 18/6. Ask Snidrajsed. He's an Auto guru. He can advise you more on it. If I were you I would do either photos or autos, not both. Just my opinion though.

Hmmm! Ok. So much input from everyone. I keep switching up and changing ideas. I can hold off on the autos and run a separate tent for those. That's no issue. It just means I will keep three strains of indica in the big tent with the LED. I see where you're coming from though. So I would go SS, WW & NL and save the autos for a smaller tent. I might even run the HPS bulb for the autos. Or I'll buy more LEDs. We'll see. I will have officially started after this weekend once it's all set up and installed. Maybe I'm trying to do too much at once. It's hard because there are so many helpful people contributing and I want to follow everyone's advice, but it doesn't all gel.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've read a lot of journals and I think I started mine off by saying for a new grower deciding their own method is the toughest part due to the amount of opinions out there! I just chose what I felt like had the healthiest looking plants and my first 10 days have been great! Good soil, air circulation/humidity and proper lighting are the the keys. A small fan and a wet towel can keep air and humidity good. Soil is huge.. Don't skimp there... And lights are your choice! Just make sure you get enough light in the end to cover that tent... I went with two separate ones so I could adjust them and have different strains with different heights.. Also I've seen a lot of par tests showing the middle gets a lot of light still even though they are separated by a gap. Either way, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks Asesino! You're right. I'll be watching your grow. I'm picking up all my soil and fertilisers/nutrients this weekend. I definitely won't be skimping anywhere don't worry about that :)

Noob4x4grow is right, try to stick to either just autos or just photo's for your first couple grows at least. I had some bag seed plants growing in my space and then stuck in 4 new auto's with them since I was impatient and didn't want to wait. So if you have checked out my journal you will see that my auto's have actually been grown from 12/12 light cycle right from seed. This will not be the case on my next grow though as it will be straight 18/6 from seed to harvest. It is completely doable but as a new grower you don't need to go getting yourself confused between the 2 plants and trying to stuff all the information into your head at once. I already knew how the photo plants worked and grew so I wanted to try my hand at auto's for a while and that's what I ended up doing. It's always nice to experiment with things once in a while after you get the hang of things.

Sounds like you will have a great set up going as well by the time you are done. Can't wait to see some pictures and get this journal rolling :) Keep up the good work over there and you'll be there in no time!

When I first started I was going to grow hydroponically. Then I read Versai's journal and decided, at the last minute, to change to soil. I already had the stuff for the hydro grow. I had to get new stuff for the soil grow. The point is, it's your grow, do what YOU want to. The only person spending money and making decisions on this journal is you. You can change your mind and do whatever you decide is best for you. Have a good Friday Rasta.

Sounds like you got a nice setup going.. the nice thing about leds is that they don't put off much heat.. I only have a 4x2x5 tent with 2 mars 300s with a 6in carbon filter and a 6in inline fan pulling the air out and temps are never an issuse.. I keep my fan controller on the lowest setting and my temps stay in the low to mid 70s.. I'm going to be adding more mars leds but haven't made my mind up yet on what I want to get.. if smell isn't a concern then don't worry about a carbon filter but your def gonna want to have fresh air in and a exhaust fan pulling air out.. get yourself an inline fan with a speed controller that way you can adjust fan speed according to your temp and humidity needs.. hope all grows well and look forward to some pics..!!

Back
Top Bottom