Redloh's Indoor Soil Cali OG Kush/Haze Grow Journal - First Grow - 2017

Here we are day 42 from seed.

Lefty
20170409_080356.jpg

Righteous
20170409_080347.jpg

The ladies have been very cooperative thus far and are just jammin along! Since the size of the tent changed, and I added the 4 autos to the tent, I'm going to abandon the scrog for this run and try next time. The LST has kept her low but I think it would get too crowded with the size of screen so think I'll just let em go how they are.

This run is really more about learning than getting a good harvest, but of course I wanna get the best I can out of it.

Now that I've decided not to scrog, I'm debating on when to flip. At day 42, I suspect they should start showing preflowers soon, but haven't seen them yet. I know there will be a stretch after the flip, so I don't want to wait too long as these ladies are filling out fast.

Here's a shot of the whole setup
20170409_082727.jpg

Right now, I think I'll wait about another week and try to flip around day 50, depending on how things look. These have a 9-10 week flower period so that would put me right around 17 weeks from seed to harvest.

Anyway, enjoy your Sunday and thanks for stopping by!

So I've been thinking for the last day and a half about this tent getting too crowded and went ahead and ordered a 3x3 tent with a 600w LED light and 4" fan/filter. I intend to make that my auto tent and then will have my photo tent opened up to space them out a bit more and be able to scrog after all.

I've also been thinking about a perpetual grow to always keep a nice stock and have some variety which is another reason I pulled the trigger on a second setup. Once my first set of autos finish up, I intend to plant another single every 3 weeks or so to always have 4 going at different stages since you don't have to flip light cycles. That will keep my variety up, and I can bend and train my photos to fill out and keep my quantity up.

Probably getting way ahead of myself, as I do with most things, but that's how I am. I'm lucky I only bought one more setup. I almost had to buy a third setup for a mother and some clones. And a fourth to start learning dwc. And a fifth so I can start breeding my own strains... because I got a fever! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Anyway, should have everything set up by Friday and will update then.

Day 47 from seed to and the ladies are still doing well. A few older leaves turned yellow and started drooping, but all the newer growth looks great so I'm not too concerned, seems natural.

I did up the nutes to 3tsp/gal of big bloom and grow big this past feeding, which is what FF recommends. Their first feeding was 1/4 strength, second was 1/2, third was 3/4, and fourth was full strength.

The new setup is ready to go so the autos have been separated and these ladies can spread their wings a bit more.

Lefty is officially in preflower and has some white hairs coming out of the highest node! I can see the preflowers on Righteous, but no visible hairs yet.

Also I've untied them so they can grow up a bit.

Here's Lefty at day 47
420-magazine-mobile829383588.jpg

And Righteous at day 47
420-magazine-mobile2003175096.jpg

Here's a sideshot of both at day 47
420-magazine-mobile1671576966.jpg

So I'm back to abandoning the scrog. A few things that I've learned this run I think will help me do a successful one next run.

First, fill the pot all the way and don't miss out on that extra root space.

Second, when I did my FIM, I did something wrong because the main stem didn't split off, it just kept going as the main stem. I must've cut too high because it grew normally, just the fans grew out without tips.

Third, I think I waited too long to start the training. Or I did too much too soon. A day or two after I cut the top, I bent the main stem over and tied it down. The branches from it grew out pretty good, but the top kinda stunted. I think had I waited a week or so before tying them down the main stem may have split as intended.

And fourth, I want to start flowering now! Now that I see the preflowers I just want to flip. I've learned so much about the veg process that will help the next run, but my impatience is getting the best of me. I'm sure all newbs go through it, but I think once I have a full run done, I won't be so anxious next time.

Speaking of being anxious and impatient, after I untied them and let them perk up for a day, I topped the main stem on each one again. I'm going to let them go for at least a week to see how they respond and will go from there.

Both Lefty and Righteous now have visible white hairs!
420-magazine-mobile679935939.jpg

420-magazine-mobile781766759.jpg

Pretty excited both are actually female, was worried I'd stress them into hermies or something.

I do have a strange issue with one of the autos that I think may actually be a hermie.
420-magazine-mobile509334230.jpg

My camera is weak and this is the best shot I could get of the upper node, but if you zoom in you can see a white hair (barely in the photo, but clearly a female preflower in person) starting on the upper node, but the node below appears to have a set of balls . which are more clearly defined in this shot
420-magazine-mobile339934401.jpg

I've read autos can do this sometime and still end up with the female side being dominant and taking over so should I let it ride for a little bit before I do anything and see what the next nodes bring? Should I try to clip the little balls off? They are day 27 from seed so not sure how long I have before it becomes critical to act before it pollinates my other one which shows no signs of sex either way yet.

It was a long and drawn out debate, both sides had some good arguments, but ultimately I was able to talk myself into vegging a bit longer and flipping on May 1.

That will give this last topping I did some time to grow out and hopefully increase the final harvest a bit.

I went ahead and tied them back down as well. Here they are day 53 from seed.
420-magazine-mobile1711205353.jpg

Sorry buddy but...These are balls. I've had this on a couple before and chose to cull rather than risk the garden. You could pluck them off as they appear, you will have to look good and hard once they really start to bloom. :passitleft:
I went ahead and decided to pluck them off and move it outside just to see how it develops. Already have a new sprout in its place in the auto tent.

I haven't seen any new balls appear on it, but it does seem to be stretching and flowering now so it may work out. I'm in AZ though and the temps are going to get up there real soon, was just 99 yesterday, so not expecting much.

It'll get direct morning sun for about 4 hours then be shaded the rest of the day, plus bugs and whatever else, so even if it does produce bud, I doubt it'll be more than a couple joints. Stinks wonderfully though so I couldn't end it just yet.
420-magazine-mobile1115873246.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pic, just started using the app and just realized I can't take portrait shots

She'll do well outside, keep an eye for more balls as she builds her top Cola up.
Will do, thanks for the tip! I've learned a lot reading through your journals and posts and appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge.

It was a long and drawn out debate, both sides had some good arguments, but ultimately I was able to talk myself into vegging a bit longer and flipping on May 1.

That will give this last topping I did some time to grow out and hopefully increase the final harvest a bit.

I went ahead and tied them back down as well. Here they are day 53 from seed.
420-magazine-mobile1711205353.jpg

Just stumbled onto your journal and I just had the same debate about flipping now or waiting until May 1st, your grow looks good all the best

Something I've been thinking about regarding Lefty and Righteous lately is their smells.

420-magazine-mobile1423757360.jpg

Lefty (above) does have the skunky smell I expected, which was apparent from the 3rd week or so but it is not as strong as I expected at this point being day 56 from seed, although still in veg lighting. I can have the tent open and you wouldn't smell a thing, only if you get down there up close or rub the stems a bit.

420-magazine-mobile160927684.jpg

Righteous (above), however, has no apparent MJ smell and just smells like plant. The leaves that I've trimmed when squeezed almost have a faint pickle smell to them, and I don't want pickle flavored nuggets!

I'm sure their flavor/smell (terpene I think?) profile will develop mostly through flowering, so I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has had a weak smelling veg (later in veg, not the first few weeks) that results in dank smelling nuggets.

I wasn't too worried until these autos started stinking very strong in their 3rd or 4th week. Even the little one in her 2nd week has a little stink to her. Maybe just another difference between photos and autos?

I've read about additives and molasses and things to add in through flower to enhance flavor, but wasn't going to get into that this first grow. But maybe I should... Any thoughts?

My main concern is ending up with buds that taste like grass or hay. Seen too many beautifully gorgeous nuggets in my day just to be sorely disappointed by the taste and smell of them. I realize curing has a lot to do with the final result, but this was just on my mind so wanted to share.

Back
Top Bottom