Ripples' - Indoor - Basement - Soilless - Multi-Strain - Chronic/Cheese/LG/SS - 2015

some of your plants simply have stronger root systems than the others. Keep working on watering correctly and they will all raise up to greet the light once a robust root system is under them and they can generate the pressure in the xylem that is needed to lift all the leaves. Even in this earlier picture, the problem one, the one with the very crinkly leaves... clearly is not using water as quickly as the others. Let her dry out too... on her own schedule. It is rare for a room full of vegging plants to all need water on the same day and at the same rates.

And... you just solved the drooping mystery. 24/0 lighting. The plants are not getting a rest period that they need to process the sugars and grow the root system. When the lights are on, it is all about gathering... when the lights go off, other things happen. Both are necessary at this point. 24/0 is great for young plants, and you can get some rapid growth because of it. These plants are more complex now, they have new needs. They want a rest period. I would reduce my lighting to 18/6 and let them establish this as their schedule for a week... and I think that after that, you will see an end to the spontaneous droopage as a result... they will start only doing this at night, as is their nature.

That makes sense... I said she really come to life at flower time, thats when I flip to 12/12... Maybe thats why! I will switch the light schedule tonite and let you know what I see in a couple days if not sooner... Hopefully this will solve some of these problems i have been experiencing. Thank Emilya, I really appreciate all the help! Wish I could return the favor some how...

And... you just solved the drooping mystery. 24/0 lighting. The plants are not getting a rest period that they need to process the sugars and grow the root system. When the lights are on, it is all about gathering... when the lights go off, other things happen. Both are necessary at this point. 24/0 is great for young plants, and you can get some rapid growth because of it. These plants are more complex now, they have new needs. They want a rest period. I would reduce my lighting to 18/6 and let them establish this as their schedule for a week... and I think that after that, you will see an end to the spontaneous droopage as a result... they will start only doing this at night, as is their nature.

This does seem to be one of the most disputed issues when it comes to growing Cannabis. Ed Rosenthal and Jorge Cervantes, two gods of this hobby, are quoted elsewhere as saying that it is a plant that doesn't store and process during the dark period and that the lighting only has to change to flower.

Google either name and 24 hours and results are everywhere.

I'm at odds with myself over it.

This does seem to be one of the most disputed issues when it comes to growing Cannabis. Ed Rosenthal and Jorge Cervantes, two gods of this hobby, are quoted elsewhere as saying that it is a plant that doesn't store and process during the dark period and that the lighting only has to change to flower.

Google either name and 24 hours and results are everywhere.

I'm at odds with myself over it.

I have read many of their articles! I can say I have always went with a 24/7 for veg till flower with much success. I can also say that this grow has been giving me headaches for the past couple weeks now. Trying what Emilya suggested seems to have made a difference? I can absolutely see a change in the girls today that I haven't seen in over 14 days! Perhaps the change of light schedule shocked them enough to start doing something? I can't say this is a cure all but it has definitely made a noticeable change in just 24 hours. I would have pissed on a spark plug if she told me it might help! Will continue with this schedule till I flip and see what happens... Keep an eye on it with me. I could use the company!

As I have mentioned my LG always looks sick till I flip her... Well here is one mother I decided to flip just days ago... She is starting to come to life!

Some of the products I use... starting to add more of the FF products in this grow...(Flower products) I have always used their basic 3.

Watered tonite and for the first time since the transplant they took water the way they should! They still have very little growth but hopefully that will change with this new development? I have had several grows, all went well but this one has been a rough go! I suppose it was bound to happen, but at least I am learning some new techniques and ways to solve problems. They are fine but just not growing at a rate I am accustom to? I think I had the light a little to close as well? I have been getting a bit lazy with the last couple grows. Overconfidence has crept in and it has cost me! Lesson learned, you're only as good as your CURRENT grow and NOT your last!!!! Took some time to re-evaluate what was going on and feel I haven't been doing my best as to paying the proper attention to the basics. I always preach to the noobie's and didn't follow my own advise. On a better note, the mothers I flipped last week seem to be doing fine. They haven't gone through their stretch yet (starting to) but will strip the bottoms shortly. Will post some pics when I feel it worth a look. As for now we'll just let thing go and see what happens...

Update week 5 veg...

Well, still having problems! I have kept a close eye on things the last couple weeks and have made some minor but good adjustments. Having said that, still little to no change! I felt the light was a bit too close (debatable) and I felt it was getting to cold with the lights out (60f). I have the temps steady at 68-70 lights out and 78-80 lights on. Still can't get the RH above 30 steady. I really have exhausted all my options with no success? I "think" it's a root problem. If so I don't know what I did wrong or how to fix! I had a similar issue last grow but thought it was stress due to a thrip problem. Treating the girls several times I thought was causing the slow growth and at times it seemed as though they stopped growing completely? Now again I see this happening the moment I transplanted to the 7's and moved to the 1000w MH? They were growing fine and at a good pace till then? Perhaps the pots were too big? The temps were too low? had problems watering... Seemed like I was doomed from that moment till now? Below are some pics from 2 weeks ago to tonight. Notice the slow growth and mangled and shitty looking new growth! The lower portion of the plants look fine and they are filling out but NO vertical growth? Normally by now (week 5) I am flipping and they are twice this size and looking great!? I am doing something wrong and can't figure it out? I really haven't changed anything except the pot size. Same nutes same lights same everything but NOT same results? going to flip next week regardless. Taking a little trip and want to flip before I go. I have my brother watering while I'm gone. He too has a grow going "all my cloned ladies" and is having none of the problems I'm having? Just a side note: I am WAY more OCD then he is so that really confuses me!!!! I am so anal on how I do things and he is more a slob! He is getting a kick out of all this! Anyways, below are some pics old and new with some explanations. If anybody sees something or feels they can help feel free....

2 weeks ago!

4911.jpeg

Today, same tent!

5322.jpeg

Look at the new growth?

5324.jpeg

On a better note the mothers I flipped 2 weeks ago are showing some progress!

5325.jpeg

Thanks for checking out my grow. Hoping to get things right here soon?

do you have another fan that you can blow under the canopy to get air in that thick undergrowth? I think that might help a bit.

That sativa showing the complaining in the new growth... clearly she doesnt like the nutes... way too strong for her. The burning at the tips and the clawing are loud complaints... The other hybrids seem to be able to take the nutes just fine... for this one, maybe go half strength and see what happens.

Also glad to see them acting better now with the new lighting! Good luck with your brother's help... what is going to be really maddening though is when you get home and he has somehow fixed the problem and gotten them all looking great... then you are going to have to figure out what he is doing that you are not, or vice versa. :)

have a great trip!

I recently removed my center fan on the floor. Had it pointing up with good air flow but felt it was cooling things down too much. Will put it back and see if anything changes? This is the first time growing this strain! (Cheeze)... The other is my normal Chronic. Even that I'm struggling with though so I can't make excuses. My brother is a hack! His grow room is a mess and he never measures anything! He is normally calling me to help him correct his girls. They look stretchy and show constant deficiencies. I am always fixing shit for him. After saying all that his plants are doing fine! It's killing me and he is loving it. After this grow I will be taking a month or two off for some house re-modeling. During that period I will clean the room thoroughly and bomb for any pest. Going to make some changes with the ventilation and start over with new seed. Get back to the basics!!! Below is a pic of the LG that was looking so rough. She is doing better with the light schedule and will improve more when I finally flip. Thanks for the help Emilya. I'll keep pecking away here and hope they turn out better as I go? I'm calling this grow a learning process. Don't like the fact that this one is my first Journal. My first few grows were so perfect? Time will tell....

5320.jpeg

Just getting on board for this grow...I have some cheese autos growing and they can be finiky.

As for the cloth pots. I put a normal plastic catch under them for runoff. Water slowly and use a pint or cup container the first couple gallons you give them. after a couple weeks they should stretch out and the roots will break the soil up a bit. What kind of water are you using? Tap? Distilled?

One other tip I would give you regarding the cloth pots...I would leave about 2-3 inches of space on the tops of the root balls...it allows you to top dress your root balls with an inch of compost/fresh medium if you end up having soil lock like you do. Another way to help water absorption is to use clay pellets as the top 1-2 inches of medium. it helps the roots get oxygen and it also helps the top layer from getting water logged or dry...also helps the stems stay dry and avoid stem rot...

good luck! I am here to watch this one finish!

how about some root heaters? get some seedling mats and place them under the pots...it will probably help within 48 hours...

Welcome Mom! Thanks for the heads up. Have some perlite I was thinking of using for that exact purpose. Forgot all about it! Thanks for reminding me. May do that this week with a couple plants and see if I can tell a difference from the others. Sorry, this grow has been a disaster. Hope you enjoy the ride, it's killing me! Check out some photos on my gallery. Some nice pics of the last few grows that went well.

It's not a disaster, I've seen far worse in my short three months here. I've seen far worse in my first week or two, and two months later followed by a decent to good harvest. Hope is not lost yet here, not by a long shot.

Re: Ripples' - Indoor - Basement - Soilless - Multi-Strain - Chronic/Cheese/LG/SS - 2

a top dressed layer of perilite will def help...it is also very messy and dries out and the circulation fans may blow it around...the clay pellets can be reused. You can also use a few handfuls of plain coco to attempt the same effect for soil lock...

And as far as a bad grow, I've seen and grown much worse...you should be fine. Just remember, distilled water can save a plant when all else fails...and most people do not realize the water they are using, even if it is "spring water", can have all sorts of dissolved solids in it, ruining your nutrient availability and leaving some calcium and salts in the soil...

Re: Ripples' - Indoor - Basement - Soilless - Multi-Strain - Chronic/Cheese/LG/SS - 2

WE ARE HAVING SOME GOOD GROWTH!!!

Finally, I'm seeing some real improvement! I raised the temps in the room and i believe they are responding well. Trying to keep the temps up is not that easy, it is VERY cold here! They were dropping down to 60 with lights off and reaching 77 lights on. Now 81-83 on and 68-70 off. Still showing some stress towards the end of the light schedule. They are at their best about 10-12 hours in and then they start to fade a bit. By the 18th hour they seem like they have had enough. Will be flipping this weekend. They should take off at that point? I'm beat! Will take some pics to show the improvement asap. Been very busy with work the past 2 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed, hope they have turned the corner and will continue to improve.

Hey ripples! I also am using smart pots for flower, four are 7 gal ands one is 15 gal. what I have done is on the outer edge I have the soil higher then at the base of the stem. this helps keep the water from going to the edge and running out sides. also a tray with perilite and water in it can raise humidity some too. just try and keep it from direct light as it can grow alge. also are you using any c02? when I had what seemed like halted growth, one of the times its usually after transplanting. generally 5 to 7 days. one other time I had to flush them and then gave calmag and then they resumed. I assume they got locked. I also added some thrive. then I started with 1/4 nutes and built back up to full power. hope this helps . I also thinks smart pots tend to make root balls really solid like and hard. going back to 10 gal plastic for next grow. I also agree that the plants need sleep just like we do, that's when we grow and heal. auto fems are the only thing ive seen that like 24/7 light. but I'm a novice on my first grow, soooo.................

Back
Top Bottom