If you think back to the day of buying weed it was most harvested once those pistils have turned red if you go by rule of thumb. If I think of some the smoke that comes into South Africa from Swaziland or Lesotho the last cpl weeks y that I've smoked, the growers there don't have access to loupes and such and it's done according to pistils..
Interesting Smeegol... you made a real good point there!

Huhoooo Sauga! Those spears look so good! Getting closer. :nomo::popcorn:
Thanks HH, and closer may be closer than I think come tonight.
Hi, :hug:
The pineapple tree.... sry lady... Looks so good :)
Careful when moving her is a good thought, but then again, I mishap would leave you with a taster :)
lol, ya god forbid that was to happen!
OK....I'm probably gonna create a stir with this, but I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Trichome color is not really a good way to indicate harvest time on a strain you have not grown before. Best way to judge readiness is to sample. When it's where you want it, note the trichome color so next time you grow that cut, you can harvest based on color.

If you're running low, take down a cola or two to keep you medicated while the rest of the harvest continues to ripen! ;)
If you're running low, take down a cola or two to keep you medicated while the rest of the harvest continues to ripen! ;)
Thanks brother Krip That's the first time I heard it mentioned, although I'm still new in this neck of the woods. I'm assuming you do it this way as well. It's something that I will try tonight.
A couple of questions though...
1. What is your preferred method for a quick dry of a sampler? By the time the bud dries, during that window of picked and drying, may have been the best time to harvest. I'm assuming you want to get the sampler dried quickly to jive with the harvest time.
2. You mentioned in an earlier post here that I had what you thought was about a week to go. What did you see on the bud that I missed. Obviously experience, but something clicked to you right away?

Thanks everyone and it's a snow day for me today. Woohoo! The only time I like the snow!

1. What is your preferred method for a quick dry of a sampler? By the time the bud dries, during that window of picked and drying, may have been the best time to harvest. I'm assuming you want to get the sampler dried quickly to jive with the harvest time.
If I'm just trying to get a quick sample, I will run it in my food dehydrator for 3-4 hours @ 95°.
I still haven't noticed any potency loss by doing it this way, but you will lose most of the flavor.

Most times that I do it that way, I'm really only looking to test the effects. The flavor is still a surprise for after harvest. LoL

:passitleft:

Thanks brother Krip That's the first time I heard it mentioned, although I'm still new in this neck of the woods. I'm assuming you do it this way as well. It's something that I will try tonight.
A couple of questions though...
2. You mentioned in an earlier post here that I had what you thought was about a week to go. What did you see on the bud that I missed. Obviously experience, but something clicked to you right away?

Thanks everyone and it's a snow day for me today. Woohoo! The only time I like the snow!

For the sampler, you're gonna do a "quick dry". I try to take a small bud from the middle of the plant. Really, just enough for 3-4 bong hits. From there, you can just leave it over-night on a cable box, use a food dehydrator, if your toaster or oven goes down to around 150*-180*F (or lower!) you can use that. It should dry in less than 24 hours. You want it to dry quickly and, with the sample, you're not gonna get a good idea of flavor or terps - only the psychoactive effect, but that's all you're looking for, for now.

What I saw was a bunch of white hairs sticking out of the buds so it looks like the buds needed a shave! :rofl:
The last couple weeks of flower are known as "the swell" (first couple weeks are "the stretch"). As those buds swell up, not only will a good amount of those hairs turn amber, but they will basically appear to be (what I refer to as) "absorbed" by the buds, so instead of sticking out all over the place, they kinda become incorporated into the buds.

Durinig the swell, plants can put on as much as 30% of their weight! ;)

I was just pointing out on another thread that one grower's "rule of thumb" is to wait until they look ready and then wait another week. That's actually a pretty good rule! :laugh:

You're not gonna go from "prime" to "too late" in a week, though you might slightly miss the prime. By sampling, you'll hit the prime! ;)

I hope that helps!

If I'm just trying to get a quick sample, I will run it in my food dehydrator for 3-4 hours @ 95°.
I still haven't noticed any potency loss by doing it this way, but you will lose most of the flavor.

Most times that I do it that way, I'm really only looking to test the effects. The flavor is still a surprise for after harvest. LoL

:passitleft:
EXACTLY, Brother! :high-five:
No way to judge flavor/smell - just the effects!

lol, that's freaking funny... well sometimes I get serious over here and have to get back on the right track. Sorry @ProfessorFlora but I'll try and get Shed in order over there. And so you don't feel your journal is a comedy stop, I have learned stuff there which is great. :thanks:

lol, that's freaking funny... well sometimes I get serious over here and have to get back on the right track. Sorry @ProfessorFlora but I'll try and get Shed in order over there. And so you don't feel your journal is a comedy stop, I have learned stuff there which is great. :thanks:
It's ok, Shed's just jealous of my root
Thanks Sauga :)

You never know when or on what thread you will find a great nugget of info that could change everything....or at the bare minimum, get you thinking more!
So true... this place is a like a one stop doc shop. I don't think I have gone outside my comfort zone here. Found everything I needed and more.

Outside of this link located here, 420 Magazine's Cannabis Strain Guide, where do the pros go when they want to find info on a strain? I use cannabis.info which for the most part has good descriptors, but I was wondering if there was a goto site that most rely on for information.

OK thanks everyone. I keep a detailed spreadsheet of each seed I have and I found some retailers don't give all the info I need..sometimes missing THC levels, taste profiles etc, so I was looking to get the most reliable and most available stuff off one site instead of hopping back and forth.
Again, warm thanks! :green_heart:

OK off to the tent I go for some feeding and bud sampling. I'm going to take a sampler from the middle of the plant, as brother Krip mentioned, and quick dry it. Thanks all, for the suggestions on this. I think my stereo unit will do the trick as I don't really have the option of a toaster oven or food dehydrator(which I really liked, maybe next purchase).

Also going to add some Sweet Candy to maybe bring out some more terps at the last minute, although I'm only using it because it keeps staring at me when I mix up the other nutes. It was intended for the next grow as I've never used it before, and may not make a difference at all.

I need a closing line of some sort. Stay medicated! No that's Dutchie...
Stay lifted! No, that's Pman...
Life is like a box of chocolates... no we know who that is

OK cya's for now.

Back
Top Bottom