You sure do pamper the young ones, but it seems to work well. Good start.
I've never pampered like this before, and to be quite honest... its made no difference.

Das White Widow Projekt

We return to Das Schloss after being on vacation to look in on the seedling that I left in the care of The Arch Duke of Blurple. Its progressing nicely and is starting to show its offshoots that will be grabbed for the clonage.

It was getting 2g/4L of Megacrop which I will now bump up to 3g as it looks a little hungry to me.

Im thinking in 2 weeks I will have plucked the clones and get them into peat pellets. After that, its cut it to quadline and upcan to Baron Von Blurples Rekto Pot®️with Speed Gill Technology®️. Until then, I will just let it be and let it donkey dick until I have the amount of cuttings I want.

Ärmel im Das Schloß

Lux ~ 12 000
3.0 g / 4L Megacrop

I had to get my pots ready for this run while I can still manipulate frozen Praux Mix®. So in preparing for the cuttings to come, Baron Von Blurple's Rekto Pot® got sleeved with the pots that the jiffy pellets will go into when they take. Think Russian nesting dolls, only with clones.

Do you even sleeve?

Today in Das Schloß

3 g / 4 L Megacrop
Lux ~ 15 000

It has been 7 days since I topped the solo cup and put it in a peat pellet. I have been following the very exellent 7 days to roots guide.

As I am a peat or soilless grower, the guide uses peat pellets and is tailored towards that medium. The size of the clones that he shows are like 5 times the size of anything I've ever cloned, and while I dont doubt big clones are better, I just dont have the time, mother plant, or patience for those. So my cuttings have always been small, but I have had nothing but great success with the pellets.

One thing I have learned from the guide, is that watering a clone from the top is a no no. Watering from the bottom is the way to encourage root growth and letting the outer jacket of the peat pellet to dry. My clones previously had taken anywhere from 10 to 20 days to show roots before when I just soaked them every day.

Today we check in on the only cutting and see if we have roots......

Nothing.
Re lube the dome and back in she goes.

Meanwhile the solo cup shows where my final 2 cuttings will come from and beneath that its set up very nicely for the quadline snip.

Bumping solo cup feeding to near full 5g / 4 L for next feeding, it still looks hungry to me.

Today in Das Schloß

5 g / 4 L Megacrop
Lux ~ 25000

The final 2 cuttings
have been taken from the Solo cup and placed into peat pellets while the single cutting from 14 days ago now has roots showing. They showed up after 11 days and in a couple more days of getting hairy, I will put it into a sleeved pot.

Now the final cut on the solo cup needs to be done, and we have our quadline all set for it.

I must say, this solo cup seedling has been pulling Nitrogen on its fan leaves good and early, and I cant get out in front of it. Even at 5g / 4 L Mega Crop it is still looking for more. Either its a heavy feeder or its not happy in that Solo cup. Anyway, after providing its cuttings, it has been repotted into a sleeved pot and fed at 5g / 4 L Mega Crop. I purposefully put it in the sleeved pot and not the Rekto pot as to somewhat hold it back while all the clones catch up to it.

Now that we have all the cuttings, we are set up for the big wait....2 weeks before everyone is in a sleeved pot. Assuming the final 2 cuttings take.

Grow on bro cha chos and sis cha chas!!

Today in Das Schloß

6 g / 4 L Megacrop
Lux ~ 8000
Electricity costs - $5.54

The first cutting has now found its way into a sleeved pot and is doing well there. The Solo cup seedling is also enjoying being out of the cup too. It has responded well to the higher feeding and new home.

I have dimmed the HLG 650r down to its lowest setting in order to slow down the 2 plants and let the clones catch up. The clones have no roots showing after 7 days, but I expect to see some in the next 3 days or so.

I would like to introduce a new metric in this grow. The cost of electricity. With the meter plugged into the wall and everything plugged into that, we see that since day 1 of this grow, I have used $5.54 worth of electricity. I am charged 6.7 cents / kwh of electricity. Plugging that into the meter has given us this running value. That includes, light, ventilation, fan, seedling mat, and timers.

The White Widow Project, to this point, has taken 2 months.

Can you remind me how the sleeved pots work? Are they bottomless and you slide them up and out?

:eek:

Send me some of that cheap stuff!
They are not bottomless. The point and purpose of sleeving allows me to seamlessly plug in the plant once it becomes root bound. You simply pull ot the plant and plug it in the hole that has been displaced by the smaller pot once it is time. It also gives me the ability of raising the humidity in the tent by wetting the dirt around the sleeve without affecting the actual root mass.

Its essentially a bookmarked hole for upcanning.

Today in Das Schloß

6 g / 4 L Megacrop
Lux ~ 8000
Electricity costs @ 6.7 cents /kwh - $6.29

The cuttings from 2 weeks ago should have had roots by now and today would have seen them been rolled into sleeved pots and happily moved into their next phase.

Not so....This picture from their 11th day, shows a yellowing of its bottom leaves and a general melancholy. My mistake here is that I had the dome too close to the lights and the clones started to photosynthesize. Well, the clones quite simply did not have the cash in the bank to write that cheque.

Even if these clones do poke roots out in the near future, its not the start I want to send them on. So as a back up, 4 days ago I took 4 more cuttings from our solo cup seedling that I will now call Octomom, as these will be 7 cuttings I have taken from her so far.

I also cleaned up the first topping from Octomom and shaved the legs a bit. Its doing very well.

That was 4 days ago....

Here we see much healthier clones, and the recovered Octomom.

So the lesson learned here is not to give your clones so much light that they start to photosynthesize. And with all mistakes in growing, it either costs you money, time or quality. This mistake, like most my mistakes, cost me another week.

Back
Top Bottom