SciFi's Bunkrupt Durban X ? Hybrid, First Grow Ever 2010

I don't know anything about soil grows but from the pics looks like you have nute burn. Since you posted late in the Deep Water Culture site you won't get an answer till tomorrow. Good luck.

Sorry I missed the update!

Great stuff with the tris!

And grats on roots to the clones. I use that same method some times and it takes a little longer, but usually works out fine in the end.

:goodjob::peacetwo:

Oh sorry didn't read whole thread duh they are in hydro now. So now how long are they in veg in your hydro system?

Well, the big gurl got nitrogen burn about 8 weeks into it, and all the big (and I mean BIG) fan leafs bear-clawed.. They never really recovered before she started flowering, but the buds are big thick and healthy. I pulled a weee tiny bub from way off the bottom of the plant, and jeeeez. Two puffs and I was ripped.

The 4 clones I took from her rooted, in 2 weeks, and are on week three now, and are starting to re-veg from flowering. I figure I'll let them sit for another 2-3 weeks, before putting them back into flowering, and I'll be repeating the same with the non-flowered clones that I took, on the 3rd of May.

The seedlings in the tub are doing very nicely, and I'll be putting them into flowering after they show themselves. This particular strain didn't show pre-flowers until 6 or 7 weeks into veg.

Oh.. I just added another HPS, so I'm totaling 400MH and 400HPS now. YAY!

I ran out of room since the clones didn't start to veg as immediate as I wanted, so I've got a makeshift bubble tub with them in it for now, and they seem to like it. I made it from a seedling tray, a 6" dome (to keep their RH up..) and a bubble stone sitting in it. The clones are in their rockwool, with a mixture of peri/verm in a peat pot, sitting in the seedling tray. They're staying wet from the wicking action of the materials.

Also.. the various other random big burns you see around my plants, have been the mishaps I've had with lighting. I've literally burnt every plant/seedling I have grown from either picking them up to check them and sticking them in the light(HIDs), or them growing 2-3"s in-between checks and cramming themselves into the CFLs I was using.

Can't wait to pull this big gurl, but I got some headband on the way here.

:smokin:

Oh, and talking to an acquaintance of my late friend... He was pretty confident that the last work on the seed-crop I got was a backcross of the Durban X Skunk#1 strain he'd been working on for years.

ROOOTS! 7 days on these.. rather poor compared to the non-rockwooled ones under the dome.

SciFi_P1010011.JPG

SciFi_P1010012.JPG

Holes.. Down in it?

SciFi_P1010013.JPG

SciFi_P1010014.JPG

SciFi_P1010015.JPG

SciFi_P1010016.JPG

Rooots..
SciFi_P1010017.JPG

Booonsaiiii!
SciFi_P1010018.JPG

SciFi_P1010019.JPG

The biggest seedling... Bonsai style.
SciFi_P1010020.JPG

SciFi_P1010021.JPG

Grrr... Had some foxtailing on the big gurl.. not sure WTF from, so I backed off all the lights, checked the timers, rechecked everything, and flushed her.
Been feeding run to waste GH 0-1-2 ratios at 5ml micro, 10ml flower per gallon, feed ~ 1/2 gallon every 5 days and water when needed in a 5 gallon pot.

Max temps are 78F and RH 40%.
Usual temps at 74F most of the time.

Everything is looking nice in veg overall, despite the mutant bonsai mother. She's REALLY put alot of lignification into the main stem since I tipped her over.
The 3 flowered clones from the 1st plant, have roots about 14"s extended out the pot now and are starting to reach for the lights and push into upper growth. They love having their own tub. :) The mutant clones have about 2" roots now, and are growing in the humidity tub I built.. (You like that? I made that shit up and it works damned well.)

I figured out alot of my leaf maledictions were my spraying the plants with the lights too close. I bought a $4 pump fine mister, and no more problems now. I give them light dustings and check for water accumulation after a short time to curtail burning the leaves under the 400W MH.

Oh yea.. When should I flip to 18/4 hours? I'm still on 24 hours.. and why the hell don't I see either of these plants showing sex, 29 days into their second set of leaves?!

Generally you wont even see preflowers untill 5-6weeks on most strains and sexing almost always requires a photoperiod change unless you have a strain that has some ruderalis genetics which will cause it to flower when it reaches a specific age. Some non ruderalis strains will flower however due to age but they are rare .

So... I'm 7 weeks, and 5 days into flowering. The second wave of vegetation stopped, but the calyxes sprang new hairs ALL over, even on the calyxes that had major crystals on them.. They just keep filling out more and more trichromes onto the flower surfaces.

I'm going to close this journal and start a new one, with my DWC setup in flower and veg.

I harvested the lowest branch a few days ago, and am curing it still while sampling it as it goes. :) It's getting better everyday.

My lady got so top heavy from the flowers she toppled last night, and broke a top branch, which I promptly trimmed and hung.

I've been running plain water for about a week now, and I'll continue to do so, and in all likely hood, I'll keep pulling colas as they mostly ripen over the next few weeks.

All in all, I think this being my first time growing ANY plant, and considering I started with Miracle Grow and CFLs, I think this came along nicely.

I owe a big thank you, to everyone who offered opinions to me, and the 420magazine community in general for teaching me so much.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

:angel: This one's for you, man. I miss you. :angel:

Hey man awesome grow! Its so awesome you show so much love for your friend im so sorry man :( That this grows keeping you going just for him, i kno i would too
Erm i have a question i was wondering what the tubes were that were going in to your clone pots from your DWC setup. Is it like some sort of ebb and flow thingy? or just bubblicious system.
thnx! +rep m8
:peace:

Thanks for the rep!

Well.. I was experimenting with them. It's rather like a Deep Water Culture system, except I'm not taking the pump out mid-way of the grow.

Thinking it over thou... Essentially it's a hybrid.. a DWC + pump does/distribution manifold, is like combining the high dissolved oxygen rates of E&F, the high nutrient availability of NFT, and the power outage resiliency of DWC.

I didn't mention it, but there were a few 5-14 hours power outages here, during this grow, and nothing in the tubs had any hard feelings about it.

I'm injecting the highly airated water directly to the root zone. I disconnected one of my tubes on the big ladies to see if it did anything, after the roots were well into the water, and it appears to have hardened off the roots above the water line..
Like the big one, is so lignified from the experience. It has the texture of a branch nearly now, as it's sealed off, and over hardened from the lignification.

Lignification takes energy and some of the carbon fixation, so I'm not sure that it's exactly a good thing. If anything I'd say it would increase the strength in the long run, and likely be more disease/insect resistant.

I think I'll keep the pumps running where they are and see how the ladies compare for the duration of their time in the bubbletank.

Awesome! I was wondering this because i was gonna make a Deep Water Culture system but didnt kno what the hell the tubes in your pot were for. BTW doesnt lignification technique stress your plants with clones as increased hermie chances or is that just bull.
Anyway should i get a water pump in my bubbly or could i do without one, i have small plants with HUGE root system ( no idea how but they are HUGE).

Well... Stress is a funny thing.. and I have not grown enough plants with that technique to see if it causes the emergency genetics to occur.

Basically, anything the plant detects as a stress.. if announces to the rest of the plant.

Most plants have for all conclusive purposes, are emergency genetics. Once stress is detected the emergency genes are activated which causes the RNA to express the DNA for emergency use.

If someone has a very nice strain they like that expresses this often, they'll grow a lot of them, stress the shit out of them, then chop all the ones that express the hermaphroditic gene under stress, then take the remaining ones, and chemically force them to produce pollen and seed.

So... I'm 7 weeks, and 5 days into flowering. The second wave of vegetation stopped, but the calyxes sprang new hairs ALL over, even on the calyxes that had major crystals on them.. They just keep filling out more and more trichromes onto the flower surfaces.

I'm going to close this journal and start a new one, with my DWC setup in flower and veg.

I harvested the lowest branch a few days ago, and am curing it still while sampling it as it goes. :) It's getting better everyday.

My lady got so top heavy from the flowers she toppled last night, and broke a top branch, which I promptly trimmed and hung.

I've been running plain water for about a week now, and I'll continue to do so, and in all likely hood, I'll keep pulling colas as they mostly ripen over the next few weeks.

All in all, I think this being my first time growing ANY plant, and considering I started with Miracle Grow and CFLs, I think this came along nicely.

I owe a big thank you, to everyone who offered opinions to me, and the 420magazine community in general for teaching me so much.

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

:angel: This one's for you, man. I miss you. :angel:

There is a growth cycle some strains go thru in late bloom where they basically have the tric head break open and pour out resin then form another head which bursts over and over . The last plant I had that did this under the microscope the cloudy resin almost looked like that white icing you see on cinnamon danishes I have read that late tric production is a product of sativa hybrids which are 60% or higher and not fully stabilized.

Well.. I don't know what caused my foxtailing.. But when it pushed out the few inches of new stem at the tip of a few colas, it pushed out new pistols all over the buds, and more trichromes poured out to the already icey buds. I'll get some more pics up tonight.

SciFi-F0.jpg

The seedling you can see without a microscope now. *WOOT* I cloned her, stat.

SciFi-F1.jpg

The seedlings roots.. ~1.5" long.

SciFi-F2.jpg

This be she, all tied up.

SciFi-F3.jpg

Again... Her. ~5 1/2 weeks old

SciFi-F4.jpg

Close up of the branch that broke about 5 days ago.. It's dry already. Rather quick if you ask me, but ~75F at 50%RH, and no direct fans, I didn't expect it to dry that fast, but it's super super fluffy. I think it may have been the light or the reveg.. or both, LOL. Time to cure!

SciFi-F5.jpg

Whole branch snapped off when the plant toppled.

Pulled 6.5 grams dry from the 9"s above.

More to come..

Three 10 to 15 inch branches. I'm estimating around 20grams dry.
SciFi611.JPG

Heh.. Self explanatory.. Someone horsing around.
SciFi612.JPG

Can you see the forest for the trees?
SciFi613.JPG

HAHA! done worry man everyones actually still a kid from the outside but they pretend to be all grown up, :allgood:any way nice colas man, is it heavy bud cus to me i dont really think thats 20g dry? could be tho hope for you its more!
Im in for the next couple of plants ill be observing closely :)
peace and good luck with the next grow!
:peace:

Well.. the 10"er I pulled was ~6.3G and the three I pulled here are at least AS big if not considerably bigger. So I estimated ~6.6G avg per branch, which is 20G. There's a (scientific) method to my madness.

:) Thank's for the look and make sure to subscribe when I open the bubbletub. I've got a few ideas I've kicked around with them.. Should be interesting at the least.

Back
Top Bottom