Scrog Gone Bad

Sure - you can put a net on. Several smaller nets or screens would be easier than one large one. It can be a bit confusing/frustrating if you tackle trying to hang too large a screenful at once.
At this point in flowering the plants don't grow much in length, and you can't expect to be able to just bend and mangle them all into a screen and have them bounce back and fill the are with new growth. But you can tie things down to get the canopy fairly flat, and make them much happier.
Your plants do look a bit light deprived. They'll grow much better when they're not crowding each other out so much. Once you have a flatter canopy you can lower the lights to the optimum distance.
Of course they can still bud well and grow big buds. They're healthy plants and you haven't overfed them which is always nice.
Accept that you'll have to remove a lot of growth at some point. Its safe to say that you have more plant matter in there than will grow well with the amount of lighting you have. Feel free to chop some out and remove shaded areas. Give yourself and the plants some breathing room. :thumb:

thanks again mate ill start tonite when lights go on .with a bit of thining out and try put trailar net over them and slowly work it down to pull stems through.the bigger longer stems should i just bend over to make the cannapy level sort of.

more pic .
DSCN074610.jpg
DSCN07457.jpg
DSCN07446.jpg
DSCN073210.jpg

When I do it - yes I lower the screen down and let it lay on top of the plants- guesstimate the right level to hang it at. Most of the branches at this point are squashed under the screen. I gently work them through.
Then I tie the longer ones down to the screen with pipe cleaners. These are available for very cheap at any sort of crafts store or dollar store. They work great- they don't hurt the plants and you don't have to actual tie knots, just kink them a little to get them to hold.
The whole point of a Scrog screen is to give you something to tie the plants to so you can train them how you want. There's really no magic in it other than that. You can tie branches to the walls or floor or down to the containers- but that gets messy very fast.

i completely disagree. I defoliate and there are plenty of arctics and side by comparisons that support that it does not harm the yield and in fact helps it

Ok, maybe it is different for different strains. When I did a side by side, defoliation reduced yeild.
I have never seen a side by side that made more yield with Defoliated. Any time someone claimed it did they used two different plants or two different lights so not a valid comparison. Did mine with clones and Defoliated plant was less yeild.

Try a side by side yourself with two same sized clones and see,you might be surprised as I was. I used to waste so much time defoliating before the side by side proved it was a waste for me.

I tend to reserve the term defoliation for removal of large amounts of healthy leaves, as opposed to routine cleanup of undergrowth and the occasional leaf that's covering up a bud. I haven't done enough of that to find any big success with it. Some people say it helps increase yield with some strains. There are always so many other things on the list that take priority to get the plants in good health, before we go chopping perfectly good leaves off.

hi there mate.going put net over top tonite and take of fan leaves near bud sites ill take some more pic tmoz.see the reallittle stems thay should be ok and thicken up some ihope.
DSCN07446.jpg
DSCN07356.jpg

I would not take off healthy leaves. They provide the energy for blooming. Buds do not bloom based on how much light the bloom gets it is how much light the leaves get. If the booth leaves are not working out with enough light then the plant will feed off them and they will go brown and drop off themselves. Why would you want to cut it off and deny the plant using the stored energy and nutrients?

We can agree to disagree I guess. I have already personally done a side by side comparison. I have witnessed multiple side by side journals and articles that validated it to be accurate.

The entire purpose of a scrog is to essentially provide as much light as possible to the buds and not the leaves it self.

Well I'd love to see one of these journals showing proof, but never seen one yet. Never clones of same size under same lights. Always the ones presented as "proof" are different seeds/phenos/lights or different times.

Take two identical clones and put them in veg. Defiliate one. At the end the Defoliated one will be slightly smaller and the larger not Defoliated plant makes more yield. Please share a journal that does a valid equal comparison and shows more yield for Defoliated. Would love to see that...

hi there i was just watching a video on utube and seen it on here in a few forms.just takeing of a few leaves to allow more light.to get in.i have over crowded my tent i have 20 plants lol

It's all over the Internet. Not hard to find. Plenty of videos, commercial growers that do the same. We do the same with our plants. I have personally tested the theory.

I would gladly run two plants on my next grow to prove this theory of the same strain. So for arguement sake I'm going to run two plants in coco in all of the same conditions

To me the entire point of SCROG is to keep the canopy level which creates more bud sites due to being level. Tallest shoots get all the growth. If the plant is a one cola plant then the one top gets most of the growth. If the canopy is forced into SCROG then it is flat and many more secondary buds will grow up through the screen. Still no need to cut healthy leaves off.
Anyway the end goal for growing should be the most level canopy with the most large tops. SCROG is a good way to do this but there are other ways.

Great, please do a side by side that is legit. Not legit unless they get even light levels and are identical clones of same size.
Never seen one that was legit, comparisons are indeed very easy to find online but every one I have seen has been bullshit.

To me the entire point of SCROG is to keep the canopy level which creates more bud sites due to being level. Tallest shoots get all the growth. If the plant is a one cola plant then the one top gets most of the growth. If the canopy is forced into SCROG then it is flat and many more secondary buds will grow up through the screen. Still no need to cut healthy leaves off.
Anyway the end goal for growing should be the most level canopy with the most large tops. SCROG is a good way to do this but there are other ways.

I agree with what your saying but the point in your theory your missing is that the scrog also allows that one cola more growth because of the penetration of he light. Clearly the leaves arnt such a large factor in scrog because your canopy is covered and everything below very limited penetration of any light.

Back
Top Bottom