SCROG

Why have you decided not to?

Don't let people make you think you need to flush your plants because you really don't need to, unless you have a problem with soil and even then you don't "flush" plants.

50x50mm mesh 8" above any pot will creat an amazing Scrog and the only time you need to disturb the net is on harvest day, my plants stay in the same spot for 12-16 weeks.

You're the first person who has told me not to flush. And this includes the books I've read, the videos I've watched and the other folks here. What about the salt build up from the nutes that I use?

Iv ran two Scrogs this year part of my new tent setup and iv not once flushed, I run coco so my schedule consists on chemical based nutrients.

I lower the dose of bloom to around 3-400ppm in the last week of flower then chop, iv harvested hundreds of plants and the bud I never flushed has been curing for over two months and tastes perfect, not the taste that should be but no harsh tasting or burning, also grown with organic nutrients and got the same result.

@InTheShed is a great grower to explain the ins and outs of it but a good drying time and cure will always play with flavour.

Majority of the tunes when you get bud that burns black or slow is usually down to the drying method.

You're the first person who has told me not to flush. And this includes the books I've read, the videos I've watched and the other folks here. What about the salt build up from the nutes that I use?
Great question DrT! The problem is that there are two completely different meanings of "flush" so we need to be clear which one we are talking about. What makes it even more confusing is that one type is useless and one is useful!

Flushing with 2-3x the pot size of plain tap water when using any synthetic nutes (regardless of brand) will remove leftover salts and unused ions from the medium, and it's immediately followed by regular strength nutes. It's often done about 3 weeks from expected harvest before the main bulking period. This kind of flush can be helpful as a reset for the roots, though it's not always necessary.

Flushing by feeding plain tap water for the last x days or weeks to clear the nutes from the flowers to remove "nute taste" is a complete myth. The science behind that are in the links in the second line in my signature.

I'm referring to "Flushing with 2-3x the pot size of plain tap water..."

Foxfarms says once a month. You say every three weeks. Emilya (IIRC) said every two weeks.

Fun! And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. Having opinions vary this much forces me to actually do some research on my own, rather than going along with the first method that two people agree to.

Iv flushed 3x the volume of my pots in a few runs and there's absolutely no difference in end taste.

The only time I ever "flush" sort of say is when I have a nitrogen problem and even then I don't flush loads of water, all I ever do is feed plain water with a little bit of nitrogen, any excess salts in the medium usually get used up with it until you can feed properly again.

I have found all 2x3x the pot size of flushing does is flood a plant that's got a good up taking root system potentially causing a problem and in most cases people who do it in grow rooms get huge humidity spikes.

But honestly buddy I run coco and I never flush anymore as I can't see the point in it, if the taste, quality and bud structure is fine of a none flushed plant why stop feeding them, keep pumping them up with food till the end or simply half the nutrient amounts.

Trust me I know what your saying about the info been totally mixed up and you better believe I was once on the other side saying always flush no matter what :laugh: try it with two plants but make sure your drying is perfect and cure for atleast 4 weeks and you'll find probably no difference.

In fact a flushing agent is only a weaker base solution if anything.

I only grow in Scrogs now so if you ever need a little info all my setups are on my coco journal.

Back
Top Bottom