Spicy White Devil CFL Grow

I'm still a bit concerned about the light greenish color. I'm feeding her +50% the recommended strength of my fertilizer. It's a great product, that shouldn't be the reason. My girls are just soo damn hungry all the time :) Next day after feeding they have a nice dark green. But just a couple days later they get significantly lighter green in color. Should I supplement Nitrogen alone? I'm not sure puring loads of NPK on them, if they are actually just N deficient. Hmm :hmmmm:

That's my plan for today:

:reading420magazine: = :idea: ?
:party:
:bongrip: = :idea: ?

Hi mate, great journal, im also using cfls but can i pick your brain, are you just using 6500k cfls for veg, it looks like you are, the reason i ask is im growing with cfls and my plants seemed to stop growing at 7inches, now ive been told that the 2700k cfls make the plants stretch so ive added some of them in, basically my problem is i have very little vertical growth, all the lower branches have grown and caught up with the top of the plant so used lst to bring them back down, ive got growth at all the nodes it just seems the main stem has stopped gaining height, i ballsed up a fim attempt and topped it instead to repair the damage i had caused, but i still cant get good vertical growth,

how close do you keep your lights to the top of the plant, i have been keeping mine within an inch of the top of the plant, so was thinking that the plants stopped upwards growth as they was all ready at the light source so im not sure what to do, i dont think your using 2700k bulbs in the veg stage and your plant is gaining height still so clearly the 2700k bulbs are not needed in the veg stage, so am i wasting my time having them in my veg, im not sure what else to try, do i raise the lights, do i add more lights, at the moment ive got 6 30watt 6500k cfls for 2 plants in 3 gallon pots, one plant is 6 inches high the other is 7 or 8 inches high, maybe the problem is my nutes,

i just cant figure it out

sounds good to me man also i notice the clawing of the leafs down means ur waterign to much just tho i would point that out

Hey thanks man! I new there was something wrong with the leaves clawing down, but I did not know what that ment. :thanks: for pointing that out!
I noticed watering is somewhat tricky with the RootPouch, since they do not have proper run off. You need to know what you are doing there. And you are right. I watered her too much in an attempt to up her Nitrogen intake. (after watering her at regular strength and noticing she was still light greenish the following day, I watered her again with higher nute concentration, though the soil was not completly dry). Impressed. Realy good observation. You cought me :bravo:

Hi mate, great journal, im also using cfls but can i pick your brain, are you just using 6500k cfls for veg, it looks like you are, the reason i ask is im growing with cfls and my plants seemed to stop growing at 7inches, now ive been told that the 2700k cfls make the plants stretch so ive added some of them in, basically my problem is i have very little vertical growth, all the lower branches have grown and caught up with the top of the plant so used lst to bring them back down, ive got growth at all the nodes it just seems the main stem has stopped gaining height, i ballsed up a fim attempt and topped it instead to repair the damage i had caused, but i still cant get good vertical growth,

how close do you keep your lights to the top of the plant, i have been keeping mine within an inch of the top of the plant, so was thinking that the plants stopped upwards growth as they was all ready at the light source so im not sure what to do, i dont think your using 2700k bulbs in the veg stage and your plant is gaining height still so clearly the 2700k bulbs are not needed in the veg stage, so am i wasting my time having them in my veg, im not sure what else to try, do i raise the lights, do i add more lights, at the moment ive got 6 30watt 6500k cfls for 2 plants in 3 gallon pots, one plant is 6 inches high the other is 7 or 8 inches high, maybe the problem is my nutes,

i just cant figure it out

Hey Don Paul, great to have you here on my journal! I hope you'll stay, though I won't be able to give you very professional advice. I'm prety new to growing medicine, you know.
But here is what I can tell you:
You are right, I do not have 2700K bulbs in my set up yet. While I think it's always a good idea to cover more then one color of the spectrum, I also want to keep power usage as low as possible. I also read, that 2700K lights promote vertical grow, but maybe just, because the plant hopes, up there might be some 6400K? I don't know. I think you should be fine with the 6400K, the problem shoulnd't be the color.
Before I had my lights an inch above my plant, but like you I raised them abit in an atempt to promote vertical growth.
You have 180 watt worth in cool whites, so you have quite alot, compared my girl grew up under 100 watt and now shares 210watt with another plant.
Is it the strain you are growing? Did you mention the strain/do you know it (sorry couldn't find that info). Did you grow this strain with an HID (HPS?) before? How are the % Indica / Sativa?

I just received a copy of Ed's Marijuana Growers Handbook. I will browse it a bit with your question in mind. I will post in case I find something interesting.

Meanwhile everyone is welcome to chime in and help Don with his probleme here. Thanks!

As a side note, I can not say that enough, I'm impressed by SWD's growth rate myself. I have seen much bigger plants in other journals, but the plants I grew before, like Nivana's Shiva Skunk or Sensi's White Skunk didn't grow as quick as this Blueberry/Jack Herer cross. I'm so impressed, I put another Samsara product on my order sheet, which is called Spiritual Punk a Northern Lights/ Mazar cross. I sent Samsara an email expressing how much I like their SWD and got a realy nice reply with some answers about how they created this beauty. Nice people. I guess being a breeder is one of the coolest jobs on earth! Will watch the Strain Hunters Malawi Expedition now :)

Cheers!

Hey Don, that just came to my mind:

1. What is the size of your pots? I transplanted her in the 16 l RootPouch quite early. Will check out your journal now for more info!

im a cfl grower as well and i enjoy watching other ppl grow with cfl keep up the good work ill be watching for any othe slips jk its about learn here man i had 5 plants 350 wts and came out with 5 oz so i did not bad for my first time but i do know how to look at plants needs

what ur ratio indica/sativa plz im guess by the leafs 70% indica 30% sativa nvm i look at the ur second post and i was surprie anyways looking great!

geturgrowon said:
what ur ratio indica/sativa plz im guess by the leafs 70% indica 30% sativa nvm i look at the ur second post and i was surprie anyways looking great!

Hi Geturgrowon,
Yeah it's more Sativa dominant at 65%, the Delicious is even 70% Sativa. Thanks for the compliments! An ounze per plant would be sweet!

High everyone!

I got a question:

My plant is growing prety chaotic, there are a lot leaves that do not get enough light, because big fan leaves cover them. Some smaller leave pairs even hang down now and are very light green. Since I was going to take cuttings anyways, do you think I should take out the branches that are without light as clones? Is my plant ready for clones based on my previous pics? She's prety young still and does not have too many branches yet. Other option would be to take of the lowest fan leaves. But I'm a bit afraid she needs those, since light is rectricted anyways.

DSC007331.JPG
DSC007321.JPG

I'm looking forward hearing from you guys!

how long are u going to veg if ur going to veg for anther 2 weeks u should be good have u started toping the rest of the plant except the the one u clip for clones dont top them it will weaking the clone and u will a less serival rate sorry for the spelling

Hi geturgrowon,

:thanks: for your quick help!!!

I was going to veg her until preflowers show up, that's how it's supposed to be, isn't it?
I read that forcing a plant into flower, before preflower set's in is not adviced due to higher hermie occurences.(?)
If the decision is solely mine, I would veg her for at least another 14 days. I want to see how the overwatering / nutrition deficiencies work out at the new strength of 150% the recommended Plagron Terra Grow dose before getting her to flower.

2 - 3 clippers sounds good. Though I have a little undertaking I was thinking of (see post # 29) where I'd need 6 clones. But since this seems somewhat urgent (recent fan-leave- covering-new-shoots issue) I guess I'll reduce my sog to 4 plants. Would be better anyways with 250 watt 2700K I guess.

Regarding the topping, I will decide based on how the new tops develop. As you point out, I won't top her at least until taking the clones, thank you for pointing this out!
I'll have a bottle of Clonex here somewhere next week. Should be in 2-3 days. You think I would be ready to take 4 clones by then? I already picked a few spots that are suitable. Only thing is, that those sprouts are a bit week due to besaid fan-leave- covering-new-shoots issue ...

Thanks for your help buddy!

i would watch on the nute it looks like u are having issues with the N maybe cut back just clip the one of the big fan leafs and give the other part a chance to get some light then take the clips as long as u keep the plant under 18/6 u will be fine to take as man clips as u wont and its fine to put the plant into flower at anytime when ur indoor "u Play God" in door the plant thinks its time to flower as the days get shorter. hope this helps and if u wait a little longer then u can get 6 clone rather then 2-3 pce Geturgrowon

geturgrowon said:
i would watch on the nute it looks like u are having issues with the N maybe cut back just clip the one of the big fan leafs and give the other part a chance to get some light then take the clips as long as u keep the plant under 18/6 u will be fine to take as man clips as u wont and its fine to put the plant into flower at anytime when ur indoor "u Play God" in door the plant thinks its time to flower as the days get shorter. hope this helps and if u wait a little longer then u can get 6 clone rather then 2-3 pce Geturgrowon

Hey thanks for your help man! I will wait with the clones then until she fully recovered. Today I will clip off two of the lower fan leaves. Are you sure it won't kill her?
Thanks ;)

Edit:
Ok I just klipped of 2 pairs of fan leaves. One three leaved pair, which were one of the first sets and two sets above a 5 leaved pair, which were covering a nice new shoot each. I did not cut right on the main stem, but left half an inch left of the stalk, is that ok?

Your fine Buddy. You wont kill her. She looks pretty healthy to me. After a couple of grows, you wont ever think of this stuff. I notice your grow space is limited, I was thinking of a maybe a 100 watter for fill lighting. When she very small is when you worry about taking leaves off.

If you think about it...taking cuttings or a leaf off, mean less work for the plant and it will have more juice for growth. :high-five:

hey man also have u tho i tieing down some of the branches to get more growth its called LST low stress training look it up or ask away if u could me back i need the rep if u already have thanks!

my bad double thread it didnt show up so i tho the browser didnt add it anyways the second one sound better lol aha hope it helps

hey also have u though of doing LST (low |Stress Training u should do some fast to get horzontal growth its when u make hole on the side of ur pot then start tie n down ur main stock but be careful when bending hope it helps thanks for the rep+ im here to the end pce

Your fine Buddy. You wont kill her. She looks pretty healthy to me. After a couple of grows, you wont ever think of this stuff. I notice your grow space is limited, I was thinking of a maybe a 100 watter for fill lighting. When she very small is when you worry about taking leaves off.

If you think about it...taking cuttings or a leaf off, mean less work for the plant and it will have more juice for growth. :high-five:

Hey OMM :high-five:

Thanks for calming me :) In my previous grows everything I did was plant the seed and wait; now I want to get the best out of my girl :love:

Know what's funny? I just added a 60 watter to my grow room, before I read your recommendation. I felt I had to make up for the missing fan leaves.

DSC007405.JPG

Actually the SWD now has 2 x 105 watt and the poor Caramelo got 60 watt, but she should be fine being in seadlings stage. So from now on I grow with 270 watt. Regarding the cuttings / fan leaves, I just read in Ed's book that it's all about balance. If overall the net is positive (like in my case one fan leave covering a whole new shoot) than off with the fan leave :)

Great to have you OMM :thumb:

hey also have u though of doing LST (low |Stress Training u should do some fast to get horzontal growth its when u make hole on the side of ur pot then start tie n down ur main stock but be careful when bending hope it helps thanks for the rep+ im here to the end pce

Yes I'm reading about it today, because I think those are all interventions that could realy suite my needs. Oddly I prefer HST over LST, because I'm afraid I will brake the main stem when I overdo the bending. The problem with binding down, is that in my view the SWD doesn't have branches yet that seem suitable. But that are just my unexperianced eyes ... I could just imagine bending the main stem, but I'm way to afraid to crack it :)

Also I find SCROG a very cool thing. I would realy like to grow her that way. Should I have started training her for SCROG earlier? As I want to grow her clones in a 2 L hempy SOG fashion, the SCROG for the mother would be perfect to make an even canopy, which would ease light distribution on a small space like mine.

Also if possible (SCROG) I would need alot help from you guys :)
I also want to do that lollipopping on her ... shave her completly down the waistline :)

well with hst u risk putting the famale into shock which she can turn hermi so if u do it slow and if u happen to snap u can tape it up and u can save her that way but i would do the lst before u srog here u will get more bud sites !!

Back
Top Bottom