Sqwheels' 2nd Grow - White Widow - Soil-Less Mix 2011

They look so healthy! :bravo: You can flower right from seed, check out sponsor/member speescees, he and others have done a lot of 12/12 from seed. I'd definitely jump on the "might as well flower now" bandwagon.

You're doing a very good job, and they look so loved - nice greenthumb! :thumb:

A good PH meter really really helps.

Xlr8,

Thanks for the encouraging words, they mean so much coming from an experienced grower.

Yes, I caught that wagon...I've been 12/12 for 2 days now. I'll go see what speescees has growing, thanks. I have a long list of members I want to follow, there just isn't enough time in the day to read them all.

I did not know you could 12/12 from seed. I never knew the many different ways you can grow MJ. I'm learning something new everyday. It's great!!!

Thanks to all here @ 420mag. :high-five:

Hi sqwheels :)

You can get a Milwaukee pH600 pH meter on eBay for around $20. I've had mine for two years and can't complain. There are some Chinese clones of it for around $4. :ganjamon:

Hi OMM,

Thanks for the tip. For both of my grows, I've used a kit that I got from the hydro store that lets you test the pH, and the chemicals to adjust up or down as necessary. It's put out by GH I think.

I've just been mixing my nutes and then using that kit to adjust the pH to 6-6.5, according to the color chart on the bottle. Why is a "meter" better? I know it will give me a precise # instead of a color indicator, but Really, does a meter make that much of a difference?

And some people say knowing the EC is almost MORE important than the pH. What's up? Do you understand it all...I'm confused.

I don't want to sound obstinent or stupid but, money is tight and I'm a penny pincher. I only want to purchase what is truly needed and not a bunch of stuff just because...it's available.

BTW-Hope you're not too worn out after all that work, the Matterhorn and plants look great, I'm so glad you have it all up and running, now...relax. How's Jo? I hope all is well. :) J

Happy Growing Everybody

As for Irie's garden. YES, you can exfoliate your plants just like he did! In fact, I encourage it! Its a great technique so the whole plant gets sufficient light and not just the tops. It will also cut down on so many popcorn sized nugs bc they are receiving better light penetration. If your not too sure what you want to do, why not defoliate one of the ladies and do a side by side comparison. Then the weigh in at the end will show you the better method. pH meters are convenient but they need to be re calibrated, depending on how often you use it, about every 1-2months. If your method with the water color works for you, then use it. Your plants look super green and perfectly healthy, why pay for something that you are proving you dont even need.

Keep up the great work!

-Rek

-Rek

Hi Sqwheels. :)

Your doing OK with out one...so forget it! Your kits are working for you, so your right, why bother. You kind of caught me. :) I have the pH meters, but don't use them often. I use RO water which is a perfect 7.0 pH. That's a perfect neutral pH. After many grows using a pH meter my run off was great, so I hardly use a pH meter now. Keep doing what your doing ! :bravo:

Your doing OK with out one...so forget it! Your kits are working for you, so your right, why bother. You kind of caught me. :) I have the pH meters, but don't use them often. I use RO water which is a perfect 7.0 pH. That's a perfect neutral pH. After many grows using a pH meter my run off was great, so I hardly use a pH meter now. Keep doing what your doing ! :bravo:

I see you joined my thoughts lol. After a few grows you dont even need a pH meter anymore. You learn a process that wont require one. For example, say you mixed ur water in a 5gal bucket. Then counted how many drops of pH down you used to get the desired pH. One you know that, just repeat that everytime and you will get the same results.

-Rek

I see you joined my thoughts lol. After a few grows you dont even need a pH meter anymore. You learn a process that wont require one. For example, say you mixed ur water in a 5gal bucket. Then counted how many drops of pH down you used to get the desired pH. One you know that, just repeat that everytime and you will get the same results.

-Rek

You got it my friend. :amen::amen:

As for Irie's garden. YES, you can exfoliate your plants just like he did! In fact, I encourage it! Its a great technique so the whole plant gets sufficient light and not just the tops. It will also cut down on so many popcorn sized nugs bc they are receiving better light penetration. If your not too sure what you want to do, why not defoliate one of the ladies and do a side by side comparison. Then the weigh in at the end will show you the better method. pH meters are convenient but they need to be re calibrated, depending on how often you use it, about every 1-2months. If your method with the water color works for you, then use it. Your plants look super green and perfectly healthy, why pay for something that you are proving you dont even need.

Keep up the great work!

-Rek

-Rek

Hi Rek,

Ya that garden BeIrie has growing is amazing huh?

The perfectly healthy is yet to be seen. (check my weekly update to follow)

Hey OMM,

Tell me about run off will you? I checked mine this weekend for the first time ever. It was slightly orange...according to my color chart that's about 5.5. What does that tell me?

Thanks so much for the input. I have a new problem, Mites!!! OH NO!!!

Weekly Update...

As of Saturday 6-11 they had only been in 12/12 for 4 days...and I found Mites, Sh*t!!! I'm so bummed. I had them before and they were a bitch.

OK, I cut about 30-40% of the big fan leaves off, and all the little growth that was at the bottom the plants, I wanted a good look at the dirt and the stem. Some of the leaves have damage I think came from the mites.

These two pics are the top and bottom side of the same leaf.

DSCN00551.JPG

DSCN00562.JPG

Another leaf with mite damage?

DSCN00605.JPG

Maybe this is a nute problem, the way the ends of the leaf is curled and dried up. Not sure why.

DSCN00595.JPG

After trimming out a bunch of leaves and inspecting with a magnifing glass, I only found about 10 mites...but I figure if I found 10...I've got 100 maybe more. I didn't find any nests or webs, but I'm absolutely certain...it's mites.

Everything I trimmed I inspected, I only found about 8 leaves out of 80-100 that showed this kind of damage.

I bought this stuff called Mighty Wash, by NPK Ind.

Has anybody tried this? I'd appreciate some feedback on your results.

After trimming, then washing every single leaf top and bottom with Mighty Wash this is whats left...

DSCN00682.JPG

I butchered them up pretty good, but I think they'll survive.

As always any input or suggestions is much appreciated.

Happy Growing Everybody

Hi Young Lady.;)

You can tell by the run off if your plant is eating.

Say you pH your water to 6.5 when watering them. If your run off is 5.9 to 6.0,
it's just right. :)

Hi OMM,

Ok, I've been mixing to a pH of 5.8-6.2, and the run off is probably 5.5. But this is just an estimate, because I'm using a color scale not a meter.

I posted a couple pics of my girls after I butchered them up pretty good. They don't look so bad today, and I've only found a couple mites, but I still have them so I'm going to treat again today.

Wish me luck, mites suck!!!

Hi OMM,

Ok, I've been mixing to a pH of 5.8-6.2, and the run off is probably 5.5. But this is just an estimate, because I'm using a color scale not a meter.

I posted a couple pics of my girls after I butchered them up pretty good. They don't look so bad today, and I've only found a couple mites, but I still have them so I'm going to treat again today.

Wish me luck, mites suck!!!

sending all the positive vibes your way!!! :goodluck:

:peacetwo:

I wish you luck! Hope u can get rid of those. Looks like you did a good job removing some leaves, not bad for your first time. :thumb:

-Rek

hey Rek, psssssst rek!!!! i have to do it again, read the post title... 2nd grow my friend!!! lol

Hi Rek, Astonr,

I really appreciate you guys checking in on me. Yep, my first time purposely removing leaves...till now it's only been on a need to basis do to letting them dry out once (during my first grow) This time I did it on purpose, and I'm going to do it again today when I water and wash for bugs one more time.

I've noticed that there are lots of little branches that probably won't produce much. These are little growths off the bigger branches that come from the main stalk (did that make sense?) I think if I remove some of them the bud on that branch will get bigger.

Anyway, I'm not going to be afraid anymore about killing my girls, from all I've read and learned here they are damn resiliant.

Happy Growing Everybody :peacetwo:

Hey, if you dont want those little branches then cut them off. I do it when needed as well. Why keep little branches that will give me little buds when I can focus the plants energy on the top buds and make them bigger. Thats my opinion.

-Rek

p.s. Voting on nug of the month and member of the month has started! Go vote lol. Looks like im in both categories lol

Hey, if you dont want those little branches then cut them off. I do it when needed as well. Why keep little branches that will give me little buds when I can focus the plants energy on the top buds and make them bigger. Thats my opinion.

-Rek

p.s. Voting on nug of the month and member of the month has started! Go vote lol. Looks like im in both categories lol

Yep, that's my thought as well. I really butchered them up this time. But I figured the same thing...fewer branches with popcorn buds and bigger buds at the site where I left them, but man they look bald.

This is also going to help me combat those little buggers, less foliage for them to hide in. And the light penetration is so much better now, I can see everything better.

My first grow I was afraid to do something like this. But after being here a while I've learned...

Thanks for all the comments and advice. :high-five:

whats up sqwheels,
yea i pretty much do the same! if they needed to come off then they came off, but on those bottom branches i took the first 4 off, i guess if you do more its called lollipopping it. its so all the plants energy goes to the tops, the little branches cant support much weight, so they will more than likely just start drooping!!! my friend told me that i should do that and i didnt listen, after the first 3 weeks of flower i found out why!!! should have just done it!!!

:peacetwo:

Weekly Update

Wide shot of one plant...Looks pretty sparce in there after all the chopping I've done in the last few days. But I think the light penetration is helping what I left grow better, in the last week the little buds have really popped out.

DSCN00762.JPG

A couple of top flower pics forming on the branches I left...The girls are taller than me now so I couldn't get a good pic of the main colas, I didn't want to bend the stalk too much for fear of breaking it.

DSCN00742.JPG

RSCN0085.JPG

Buds forming on the branches I didn't chop off

RSCN0084.JPG

DSCN00836.JPG

RSCN0088.JPG

So...over the last week or so now I've been fighting mites, I'm almost afraid to say it, but I think they're gone. I only found 3 on Friday so I pulled the girls out and washed them all down again. That makes the third time in 10 days. I haven't seen any signs of them in the last 3 days. I'm going to continue with the complete daily inspection. But I hope those little suckers are gone. Also I smeared a thick band of vasoline around the outside of the pot, they're not climbing into the pots thru that stuff.

I'm a little concerned about the temp/humidity in my room.

It's been hotter here than usual and I can't seem to keep the daytime temp below 90, and the exhaust fan runs all night long almost, and I have it set to 72. I don't think it ever cools down that far. In the morning when the lights come on it's already 75-77. And the humidity is high in the morning, 85-90%, I'm surprised it's not raining in there. But it drops quickly after the lights come on, down to around 55-60% during the day.

I'm 12 days into flower now, so I added Canna PK 13/14 to their nutes today. It says to give it when the flowers start to show and use it for only one week. I'm hope I didn't wait too long, now that I look at the pictures I'm wondering if I should have done it last week.

Current Nutes are as follows... All Canna Product. Flora 20ml, Rhizotonic 2ml, Cannazym 8ml, Boost 15ml, and PK13/14 6ml.

It seems like so much considering my first grow I used only a single nute by FloraNova.

As always I welcome all comments and suggestions.

Happy Growing Everybody :morenutes:

Hi Young Lady. :high-five:

Glad to hear the bugs are gone. (for good, I hope) ;)

That humidity at night bothers me a bit. Your right it should be raining in there.
Trying to think of how to bring it down, without you spending money you don't have at the moment. What's it like in the rest of the room? Maybe some has an idea that will help.

With all that said.....your girls look great! :Namaste:

Hi OMM,

So glad you're checking in on me. I see you had a party at your place, sorry I was late. So many great threads, so little time.

Ya, that nighttime hum is wild huh? I'm all natural here. No A/C, just a bunch of fans. If that's what you meant by the rest of the room. In the summer, Michigan doesn't usually get more than a few days in the 90's, we've already had a week of them. My first grow was during the winter months and I didn't have an issue with temp/hum. But this time it's proving a challenge.

What about baking soda or corn starch or rice? Something to absorb some of that moisture. Does that sound stupid? I've been opening the door periodically throughout the day. That seems to help with the temp. But I can't do that at night, the bedroom in which the closet is located isn't light tight, and I can't make it that way. The closet door must stay closed at night. I could put another fan in there but that room is small and I have a fan pointed right on them 24/7 already, I don't think it would make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom