Stevehman's 780W LED - DIY 4 in PVC Recirc - Caramlicious Grow

Re: Stevehman's 780W LED, DIY 4 in PVC Recirc, Caramlicious Grow

Steve,
At this point in your grow, do you see any significant difference in bud size and penetration of light between the 180 LED and the 300 LEDs? and where they over lap since your 180 is center as i recall, is that part better than the other zones?

Steve,
At this point in your grow, do you see any significant difference in bud size and penetration of light between the 180 LED and the 300 LEDs? and where they over lap since your 180 is center as i recall, is that part better than the other zones?

Cryo,
I'll get a few better pics up tomorrow (I'm in lights out mode now). I would have to say that the girls under the 180 are looking happier and the ones on the border are trying to get closer to the 180, but that may just be my perception. I will have to see when the final cut comes.

Since I have 6 plants under each light, I will take the weight of the heaviest 3 girls each (I would do all six, but I have 2 girls that were runts from the start and they are in the middle and were started under a 300).

So what I will have then are 3 girls that went the whole stretch under a 300, 3 that started under the 180 and then went under the 300 at week 3 and 3 that started under the 300 and went to the 180 at week 3. Sounds a bit confusing but I will do a spreadsheet at the end of the grow.

Heh, nope I can follow that logic no problem. Will truly be interesting to see though. 30 days and counting down!

Hey, Stevehman. Again, kudos! Thanks for posting all this leg work! Your grow is turning out to be a huge wealth of knowledge. I've even seen other threads referring people to check it out for their questions on LEDs! Just yesterday I started my germination of eight carmilicious seeds for my first grow. I'm hoping I'll get a couple outlier's and get a hardy six females out of the eight. But! I was researching whether to go LED or MH/HPS switchable ballast and will be building my setup soon. I think you've really answered most of my lighting questions. However, if you were setting up a 2'x6' grow, would you go with two 180w LEDs, similar to yours, or do you have an eye for an alternate choice?

Whoa! Ok, I just went back and checked the initial setup for this grow. You're also working with a 2x6 space, correct? And have 18 plants? I'll be working w/ similar space constraints, but with my first grow, most likely only 6 plants until I am able to clone and expand in grow 2, space will be the same 2x6. I guess my question is, recognizing start up funds are limited, thus expansion and complexity must be done in phases: What is your personal suggestion for lighting in a 2x6 space with only 6 plants (1 sq. ft./plant), realizing grow 2 will most likely expand to have 12 plants (1/2 sq. ft./plant)?

Appologies for the confusion, these two posts have inflicted :)

its amazing the amount of light produced and only drawing 1000w for what say 36 cubic ft. with 36" pen and coveravge of 24sq ft.

i don't know but in looking at Steve's grow here, i think that the 18 isn't overkill, but time will tell at the very end.

Jax, i'd bet that two of the 180 LED's with a light mover would work pretty good. You are going to have a little bit more spacing so if you could move the light it would be awesome, also, you could LST really good with the extra room, literally have a carpet in there, with more breathing room. God, i really can't wait to get back into this again. just pushing the wife to get our asses moved. although i may do that a few months sooner.

Jax,
I would go with 3 of the 180s. If you ask Kyle at Advanced he will tell you that they are designed to really penetrate about a 2x2 area, they have a larger total area, but I think that you would want 3 in that space. You could also do what Cryo suggested and put 2 of them on a mover (would only need to go about 8-10 inches back and forth). My first grow was with the single 180 in a 2x4 space on a mover going about 8 inches to give full coverage. It worked alright, but was with unknown seeds that came with the Caramelicious (why they don't mark their freebies at that bank is beyond me).

My initial plan was to go with 2 more of the 180s in this grow, but decided to go with the GLH lights because of their case dimensions (a little larger, thinking it would spread out the light better). He was out of stock on the 180s and gave me the 300s for a little more than what I was already gong to spend.

The wrinkle here is that GLH has since changed their spectrum mix (since I bought these Dec of 2010) and they are supposed to be better. I would like to see a side-by-side with a GLH and an Advanced 180 before I spent a bunch of money. Just based on my observations though (and again this is based on GLH's last year's config), I would go with three of the Advanced 180s (or two and a mover).

Jax, to get to your second question. You could grow one or two very healthy plants in the same space. On my second grow I vegged the carms a few weeks longer than I wanted to (waiting for my lights to arrive) and I had just three that completely took over the 2x4 space, I LST'd them and you can see the resulting buds from that grow on the first page. I expanded my space to 2x6 after knocking out the little partition that I had for my mom's room (2x2). I just put up a 2x4x4 mom tent next to this so I will have a place for the 4 moms I'm starting for grow 4.0. The grow space will still be 2x6, but it will be "new and improved". As soon as I have seedlings, I will start that journal.

Good luck on your grow, be careful this can be an expensive hobby, but at least this will pay for itself over time.

Wow.. Thanks for the quick response and great insight! Greatly, greatly appreciated!

Prepping for Grow 4.0, here are the beans soaking:

G13 Labs Gigabud cannabis seeds produce compact monster buds covered with fat, thick resin. Gigabud is fast flowering, compact and is easy to manicure making this an ideal variety for the indoors. Gigabud is compact but can reach 1.5m if left unattended. These gigantic buds have a deep green colour, are super heavy and dense with a rich, aromatic sweet hash flavour. G13 Labs Gigabud has a long lasting body mainly indica-type feel. Harvest time outdoors is September/October with flowering time between 5-6 weeks. Gigabud produces a high yield.

Dutch Passion Twilight mature outdoors in just 7 – 8 week and are ready to harvest in September/October. Already at the beginning of flowering, a strong, hashy Brazilian flavour start appearing and remain throughout maturing. The finished product is very pleasant to smoke; it's got a slightly Afghan hash smell and taste and produces a very powerful stoned effect.

Barney’s Farm Pineapple Chunk is crossed with the famous Barney’s Pineapple with Cheese/Skunk #1 with the intention of breeding into this new variety the essence and flavour of these two delicious strains. The result is an extremely vigourous and stable plant. Pineapple Chunk is mould and disease resistant. It's cannabis seeds flowers into a beautiful conclusion in just 55 days. The essence and flavour of Pineapple Chunk is immediately obvious. It's aroma of earthy Cheese X Skunk is backed up by a secondary scent of Pineapple. The taste is delicious and unique.
Earthy flavours are underpinned by a strong tasty Pineapple aftershock. Pineapple Chunk is most rewarding. A huge giver with a massive THC output and high CBD gives a powerful couch lock effect.

Dinafem Power Kush is a powerful blend of Afghani x Skunk #1. It is a fast bloomer that produces a harvest of sweet, orange tinted colas with high resin content. Mental and physical effects are quite notable and the taste divine. They grow well, the leaves are big, wide and long, so the plant can make the most of the light.

I picked these out of my 20 varieties of seeds. I picked these 4 based on their size, relatively short flower time and potential yield. (please ignore the superfluous "u's" int eh write ups, it was cut/pasted from the British seed bank descriptions).

Looking forward to seeing how these all perform from sprout-mom-clone-12/12. I will start up the new journal for them as soon I have seedlings with a good leaf set. I will make sure to take all of the pics and provide the info on that journal (sometime next week).

Steve, any feel from a personal view on the bud development tween the GLH 300's and the advanced 180? I was reading on mike's site that he has new 12 spectrum lights, basically the same, but with the added spectrum, upped the output in the name but still they put out what the old ones did. At least that was how i read it. I haven;t had the opportunity to pick his brain on what exactly is different besides the added spectrum.

i would love to see you do a compare in your set up with their stuff. it would be awesome to witness.

Day 35 in 12/12:

Res temp 66
pH 5.36
ppm 1200
ec 2367
temp 83
RH 61%

This is the third day of running CO2 in the grow, until I get a test kit or meter, I am running just a trickle of gas (about .5 cfm) for 15 on and 45 off during lights on. Things are frosting up and getting very sticky. My left hand feels like I spayed it with glue after moving a few of the girls aside for a few of the pics.

Here are a few buds on the left GLH 300:
DSC_8611.JPG
DSC_8617.JPG

A few under the Advanced LED 180 in the middle:
DSC_8612.JPG
DSC_8613.JPG
DSC_8615.JPG
DSC_8616.JPG

And some of the GLH 300 on the right:
DSC_8618.JPG
DSC_8619.JPG
DSC_8620.JPG

And a penetration shot of the mids under the Advanced in the center:
DSC_8622.JPG

And a penetration shot of the mids under the GLH on the right:
DSC_8621.JPG

Leaf tips are getting a little burn, I'll take the nutes down a bit, maybe to the 1000-1050 ppm range.

Both sets of lights are getting lights down to the mids and they are nugging up pretty nicely.

The 4 beans I soaked in water over night have all cracked are in root riot starter cubes right now. As soon as they are up and about I will start the Grow 4.0 journal. I have used the grodon cubes in the past for seeds but wanted to try something different so on my local hydro guy (actually an attractive blonde young lady), I am trying these out. Any one else try them yet? They are organic, feel like sponge and are pre-moistened and loaded with beneficial bacteria and fungi already. I will post a thread in the product reviews forum.

Cheers,
Steve

looking beautiful Steve, another 4 weeks and YAHOO!!!

looking beautiful Steve, another 4 weeks and YAHOO!!!

Cryo,
That is what I'm counting on. My four seeds for grow 4.0 cracked this morning, just waiting for some taproot action. I figure it will take 3-4 weeks for them to be clone-able and then a week of cleaning and re-tooling the grow space with the diamond foil, raise the roof etc... By the time I finish the mods, the clones will be ready for 12/12 (although if they're less than 8 inches tall I'll veg for a week in there first).

Coolio, i had a great chat with "M" today on his new lights, they indeed to have more power, it just doesn't actually say that. so i am thinking his 3w 290's will kick ass.. he recommends 3 in a 2-2 1/2 by 6-7ft area, using whatever height you have, says the pen will be fine all the way to 36", and really good if you can thin/bend to clear a tiny bit to the bottom. Also has a new 100 coming for clones/small veg areas, hoping to have that in the next month or so.

Back
Top Bottom