Still searching for The Strain

I have never heard of anyone getting them from China, were they being sold as a particular strain? I presume they were regulars? What did you think of the result post harvest?
I believe that @Buds Buddy was talking about getting a batch of film canisters through eBay from somebody in China who had the listing. Otherwise, I do not remember ever hearing about anyone getting seeds from China.

Hey wings, thanks for the tips. I just ordered film canisters. The little tubes would be better... I have to think about labels that don’t rub off.
I use the blue Painter's Tape. Write the info on the tape with a fine point Magic Marker style pen. With a little practice you can figure out how large to make the writing. The tape will stay stuck even in the fridge and the marker does not rub off or fade. Using ball point pens or pencils does not seem to work well.

Recommend using high quality brand name Painter's Tape. The discount generic brand tapes might start to peel off or start to wrinkle or will stick to well and never come off. Just not worth the hassle.

I believe that @Buds Buddy was talking about getting a batch of film canisters through eBay from somebody in China who had the listing. Otherwise, I do not remember ever hearing about anyone getting seeds from China.

I use the blue Painter's Tape. Write the info on the tape with a fine point Magic Marker style pen. With a little practice you can figure out how large to make the writing. The tape will stay stuck even in the fridge and the marker does not rub off or fade. Using ball point pens or pencils does not seem to work well.

Recommend using high quality brand name Painter's Tape. The discount generic brand tapes might start to peel off or start to wrinkle or will stick to well and never come off. Just not worth the hassle.
You are correct. No China seeds.

What to do with seeds? So I am still pretty new to this growing thing, I have not found „my strain“ yet but I have grown quite a few different strains. They come in the little test tubes but I bought extra seeds for when I find my strain I want to seed the tent. I thought Bruce Banner would be the strain but not exactly, I have 15 different genetics, I don’t want them to go bad. They were most fun to grow and good. I have really good genetics that’s don’t want to loose, from Dark Horse, Original Dankness, And my favorite so far Zamnesia.
Thanks for lookin and maybe giving ideas.
Over my years of growing I have "collected" some strains that personally I liked for one reason or another, and had the same dilemma... how do I preserve these genetics for future use....?

You can try making S1 seeds or "feminized seeds". This involves taking 2 clones (from the same plant) or others... both female. You can use Colloidal silver, or STS (silver thiosulfate) which will turn the female clone into a female clone with male pollen sacks, which in turn you can use to pollinate the other females.... This will result in female seeds. If you use 2 clones of the same plant, 1 clone "reversed" into producing pollen, and the other kept a female, the seeds that results will be very similar to the original (not always exact, but similar) and will be female. I suggest STS vs CS as it works better in my opinion..

A 2nd suggestion... you can do some "pollen chucking" but this typically involved 2 tents or separate grow areas.... take clones of each of your 15 genetics and put them in the 2nd tent.... then get some "regular" seeds of a strain that you want to try.... grow both the males and the females and take good notes. When the males start to develop pollen, let it fly and pollinate all 15 of your favorite genetics.... then you will have 15 new "crosses" which the seeds may have some similarity to the parent strains, or they could be something completely new... this is not really the best for preserving the strains, but defintiely will allow you to have plenty of future seeds that have "some resemblence" to the parent strains....

Tissue Culture..... This is a newer method in the cannabis world of preserving and copying genetics... It involves taking tiny cuts of plant material, and growing them in test tubes in a gel/auger in a sterile environment. This method is what many of the top genetics professionals use in other agriculture industries because it allows for a ton of plant "clones" to be stored in test tubes on shelfs and racks which need very little maintenance. I've personally never done it, but have seen many in the cannabis community start using these techniques. I've heard this also is a good way to rid cannabis viroids from future generations of plant stock, but again, this is not something I have too much experience with.

Hopefully these methods may give you some ways to keep your genetics around for a while. Just be careful as making seeds is addictive :) lol.

In reference to "finding your perfect strain", really its just about trying all the options that are available and seeing what works best for you personally..... one of my favorite strains "blue dream" seems to really be amazing for me, it gives me energy, is enjoyable to smoke, and helps with my social anxiety a lot... but for others, many don't like blue dream... so its really about finding the strains that work for you best.... if you are lucky enough to live in a legal state with dispensaries.... try all different kinds of cannabis to see what you like.... narrow it down to indica vs sativa, then look at the types of strains... is it a kush, a cookies, a thai or haze... etc... and this may help lead you to similar strains.... just as much as I love blue dream for the daytime, its horrible for me to smoke at night because I wont sleep, so I also need a very heavy indica to help with sleep.... for those I usually prefer strong bubba kushes or indica dominant strains.

SEED storage:
So I started making seeds and was wondering how do I safely store these for future use without them going bad.... so I went directly to the source, and I asked about 10 of the top breeders in the cannabis world for their advice/techniques...... and kindly many of them replied.... although each one slightly had different ways of doing it, all of them basically require these things:

1. Dark,
  2. Cool (some use refrigerator, some use freezer) One breeder mentioned that refrigerator is good for up to 10 years, and freezer 20+.
  3. Dry or low moisture.
  4. Low oxygen (vacuum sealed or with silicon packs)
Personally I have tried different things, but recently found some 30ml and 50ml "centerfuge tubes" on Am@zon for really cheap (I think I got 50 for like $20) or something... They have screw on caps and seem to work well. Each "harvest" of seeds I label each tube with a Avery label sticker on the outside of the tube....I also write the strain name on a tiny piece of paper and drop it into the tube in case the label wears off over time or falls off. Then I drop the tubes into a mylar ziplock bag, and insert some silica (dry) packs and some oxygen reducing packs and then I seal up the mylar. This then gets labeled and put into my refrigerator. So far I have had zero issues with germination from some of my older seeds that have been kept this way for 3-4 years...

Hope this helps.

Over my years of growing I have "collected" some strains that personally I liked for one reason or another, and had the same dilemma... how do I preserve these genetics for future use....?

You can try making S1 seeds or "feminized seeds". This involves taking 2 clones (from the same plant) or others... both female. You can use Colloidal silver, or STS (silver thiosulfate) which will turn the female clone into a female clone with male pollen sacks, which in turn you can use to pollinate the other females.... This will result in female seeds. If you use 2 clones of the same plant, 1 clone "reversed" into producing pollen, and the other kept a female, the seeds that results will be very similar to the original (not always exact, but similar) and will be female. I suggest STS vs CS as it works better in my opinion..

A 2nd suggestion... you can do some "pollen chucking" but this typically involved 2 tents or separate grow areas.... take clones of each of your 15 genetics and put them in the 2nd tent.... then get some "regular" seeds of a strain that you want to try.... grow both the males and the females and take good notes. When the males start to develop pollen, let it fly and pollinate all 15 of your favorite genetics.... then you will have 15 new "crosses" which the seeds may have some similarity to the parent strains, or they could be something completely new... this is not really the best for preserving the strains, but defintiely will allow you to have plenty of future seeds that have "some resemblence" to the parent strains....

Tissue Culture..... This is a newer method in the cannabis world of preserving and copying genetics... It involves taking tiny cuts of plant material, and growing them in test tubes in a gel/auger in a sterile environment. This method is what many of the top genetics professionals use in other agriculture industries because it allows for a ton of plant "clones" to be stored in test tubes on shelfs and racks which need very little maintenance. I've personally never done it, but have seen many in the cannabis community start using these techniques. I've heard this also is a good way to rid cannabis viroids from future generations of plant stock, but again, this is not something I have too much experience with.

Hopefully these methods may give you some ways to keep your genetics around for a while. Just be careful as making seeds is addictive :) lol.

In reference to "finding your perfect strain", really its just about trying all the options that are available and seeing what works best for you personally..... one of my favorite strains "blue dream" seems to really be amazing for me, it gives me energy, is enjoyable to smoke, and helps with my social anxiety a lot... but for others, many don't like blue dream... so its really about finding the strains that work for you best.... if you are lucky enough to live in a legal state with dispensaries.... try all different kinds of cannabis to see what you like.... narrow it down to indica vs sativa, then look at the types of strains... is it a kush, a cookies, a thai or haze... etc... and this may help lead you to similar strains.... just as much as I love blue dream for the daytime, its horrible for me to smoke at night because I wont sleep, so I also need a very heavy indica to help with sleep.... for those I usually prefer strong bubba kushes or indica dominant strains.

SEED storage:
So I started making seeds and was wondering how do I safely store these for future use without them going bad.... so I went directly to the source, and I asked about 10 of the top breeders in the cannabis world for their advice/techniques...... and kindly many of them replied.... although each one slightly had different ways of doing it, all of them basically require these things:

1. Dark,
  2. Cool (some use refrigerator, some use freezer) One breeder mentioned that refrigerator is good for up to 10 years, and freezer 20+.
  3. Dry or low moisture.
Personally I have tried different things, but recently found some 30ml and 50ml "centerfuge tubes" on Am@zon for really cheap (I think I got 50 for like $20) or something... They have screw on caps and seem to work well. Each "harvest" of seeds I label each tube with a Avery label sticker on the outside of the tube....I also write the strain name on a tiny piece of paper and drop it into the tube in case the label wears off over time or falls off. Then I drop the tubes into a mylar ziplock bag, and insert some silica (dry) packs and some oxygen reducing packs and then I seal up the mylar. This then gets labeled and put into my refrigerator. So far I have had zero issues with germination from some of my older seeds that have been kept this way for 3-4 years...

Hope this helps.
Thanks! Good info!

I'll offer up a controversial suggestion. Instead of looking for one "magical" end-all-be-all strain, why not experiment with mixing different proportions of the strains you currently have? Mixing up a cocktail of strains combines the differing terpenes and cannabinoids sometimes resulting in a more well-rounded high. Regardless, it may just be something worth trying while you continue on your journey of finding the one strain to rule them all.

Thanks for taking the time to share that @Icemud !

I'll offer up a controversial suggestion. Instead of looking for one "magical" end-all-be-all strain, why not experiment with mixing different proportions of the strains you currently have? Mixing up a cocktail of strains combines the differing terpenes and cannabinoids sometimes resulting in a more well-rounded high. Regardless, it may just be something worth trying while you continue on your journey of finding the one strain to rule them all.
Blends will probably be a big commercial thing soon.

I think I’ll mix some Headband and OG Chem right now!

Been telling people to do this for years.
Mostly all I smoke is blends.

Post in thread 'Still searching for The Strain' Still searching for The Strain

SEED storage:

1. Dark,
  3. Dry or low moisture.

Hope this helps.

Hey Icemud, thank you for the awesome info. I do have a question. I have an auto strain I want to seed but I have been led to believe that it will not work. Is this true. I wanted to make one a boy and have 4 go to seed. I was told the seeds will not be good.
Thanks again for the excellent info.

Hey Icemud, thank you for the awesome info. I do have a question. I have an auto strain I want to seed but I have been led to believe that it will not work. Is this true. I wanted to make one a boy and have 4 go to seed. I was told the seeds will not be good.
Thanks again for the excellent info.
You are welcome.. Great question... I've never used or grow auto's before so I really don't know much about them. I wish I could help ya but just not my area of knowledge. Thinking about it though, I don't see why hitting a plant (auto or not) wouldn't create seeds, doesn't make much sense...... maybe it will make seeds, just not auto? not really sure my friend.

Back
Top Bottom