SunWorshiper Offgrid Greenhouse Season 2 Hibrix Marshydro SPL Blackout

2017-07-29_14_48_11.jpg
secret duck also doing better

Really stoked I successfully transferred these girls from soil to hydro. Seemed like they maybe just held on while their old roots died and new water roots grew. They did stunt. But also I think if I had been outdoor or in the greenhouse they would have done better. Just hard to compete with the sun and or more direct sun. Anyway really amped the fish water has seemed to boost these girls. Praying I can make the hydrorganic work all the way to harvest. Then to see if the product was worth it or even has potential. Time will tell lol

Ok so I must have been high because I don't know what I was thinking about when I repetitively talked about a hydro organic nute test between EJ and AN and RO. 1st off I would need 4 water chillers and that's just not gunna happen.

Then I realized I already have 2 chillers. I could break the test into 2 grows during spring and fall as I need one of the chillers for the fish in summer. So then I started to look at getting nutes. Well game over advanced nutrients iguana juice and roots organic Buddha bloom are just too much more expensive than Sugar Peak flowering by hydro organics(earth juice). Not to mention the normal earth juice is cheaper even yet and I'm pretty sure it will work in my hydro system too as I already use it in small quantity, it was the grow that was kinda an issue.

So today I ordered sugar peak flowing and also sugar peak grand finale. Really pissed because I can't find the ingredients online and I only hear rumor it's organic. I've seen some earth juice stuff that is and some that isnt. So i rolled the dice. If not I can always get more of the original bloom. Kinda annoying because their company that is named hydro organics sells some products I hear that's not organic. Just hope one day this all goes away and companies post ingredients. I mean don't you want to know more than npk before you order? Then they have no customer service number just corporate numbers. Still ill give sugar peak a chance I've used the original bloom and the product that it grew was pretty awesome. But that was soil lol. In less than a month I'll have some feedback for ya.

I hear ya on companies having the word 'Organic' in their name but some products aren't that.... I hope the earth juice works out for ya, I haven't ever used it but I know a grower or two that use it and have good results. That being said I don't know what else they run along side it and I don't know if they claim to be organic or not

Its crazy. There is a huge battle also going on between soil farmers and hydro farmers over the word organic. I've read 100 places they always quote "feed the soil not the plant". That's great and all but personally I feel as long as you don't use synthetic's in nutrients or pest spray then it's organic. If your media is soil or hydro or coco or air or a sofa cushion so long as it's a cotton sofa cushion it's organic. I think technically weed or food grown with synthetics isn't inorganic, it's still an organic object. It might not have been derived from organic nutes but it's not inorganic.

So it's a catch word that soil farmers want to own usually as they talk down to hydro. Yet hydro uses way less water than soil and usually doesn't have weed problems etc etc. So in ways it's better for the environment. Hydro comes out of my tap I sure wish promix myco hp came out of my tap :) think of all the carbon footprint of the manufacturing and shipping of soil vs tap water or ro water. Hydro has downfalls too but just sad to see farmers fighting farmers especially other farmers who are organic.

I did read one study that shows in some instances hydro produce having more vitamins then soil produce but not in every crop, just some fruits or veggies. I'll post it below. I read elsewhere about the same study and they said one of the results was no difference in quality and taste of Hydro lettuce vs soil lettuce. Which I found shocking as my whole life I always thought lettuce had NO taste :D

“The results from a study by Treftz, 2015 [Chenin Treftz, Researcher at the University of Nevada, Reno] showed that the ‘healthy’ antioxidant compounds (e.g., Vitamin C, tocopherol, and total polyphenolic compounds) were significantly higher in hydroponically grown strawberries compared to the soil-grown. But the opposite was true for raspberries.

“Interestingly, earlier studies by Premuzic, 1998 [Zdenka Premuzic, Researcher at University of Buenos Aires, Argentina] showed that tomato fruit grown in healthy organic soil (100% or 50% vermicompost) contained more Vitamin C than the same fruit grown hydroponically, while other studies by Buchanan, 2013 [Drew Buchanan, Researcher at the University of Nevada, Reno] showed that hydroponically grown lettuce contained more Vitamin C than soil-grown varieties."

20170731_003858.jpg
the bugs have been bad. Would find 1 hopper a day in the cage and that's all it takes to do a bunch of damage. Sucks it keeps out 1000 grasshoppers a day but it only takes 1 to piss me off! &÷€=$€Ã—£Ã·!!
They've also been in the greenhouse. So I just got all my girls and boys in there today. Sprayed some organic bug spray and killed a bunch of bugs by hand all day. Now tonight when light's go out I connected this bug zapper from last year. It's flickering so I really hope it still can fry some bugs.

Also want to note that when I brought the hydro girls in to the greenhouse a couple few days ago I noticed the next day the roots and peat cube really dry. So I switched from the 15 minutes of watering every hour to 15 minutes of watering every 30 minutes. And so that was before 15mins on 45 off and now 15mins on and 30 off. Looks like about perfect timing again.

Wow so the hydro girls have caught back up to soil girls even after the stunting from going from soil to hydro. Some have even passed the average soil girl. Which brings me to the sad part. I'm only allowed 4 big girls and 12 little ones under 1cft. Now one or two are getting to be over 1 ft which is fine but I'll have to trash the rest. But then I got thinking the next grow after this grow will be a super fast grow because weak sunlight that I'll have to flower fast like only hydro can. The gg4 went fast in soil but it was veggies pretty big first. If it only did a small plant for 45 days flowering the buds wouldn't be worth it.

What I'm getting at is I've figured the way to keep extra my plants under the 1ft is to just male huge clones out of them. I'll have 2 months to root and reveg them. So basically my 12 soil plants rt now that are getting close to legal size limit will get a hair cut. Or more like a root cut :) seems like such a cap way to buy time but it will let me stay legal and that is the rules. Hope to maybe open a canna business one day of my own so I have to learn to play by the rules. Which is actually not good rules because how does one grow enough medicine but nevery have a plant that yields over an ounce as that's the legal limit you can have. It can be broken up and if it's not all "usuable" then yur within the letter of the law even if yu have more than an ounce but it would be nice to figure out what strains and size vegging to flower would help me not push the envelope if I get to the stage that State inspectors are visiting.

What a great time but still a debacle. Still I've seen people dying from cancer and what the meds did for them and it makes one want to get involved in selling organic medicine for small profit or break even while still helping people in need. Maybe in 2020 Montana will go legal and selling recreational would be a Lil easier. Going to check out some of my friends professional grow ops soon and start kicking tires for the future here :) maybe all this tinkering will pay off one day lol.

I pictured the girls again because soon they mostly all be shorter clones :/ lol
2017-07-31_21_50_13.jpg

2017-08-02_00_53_27.jpg
got the girls kicks cut. Another benefit of this, if they survive, is now I can switch the next round from soil to hydro easy :) I have the secret duck, frisian duck, critical and querkle this round. Next round will go back to bubble Chem, Jack herrer, diesel and gg4. Then after that probably back to duck and querkle next year. Then will add some durban poison and green crack. Maybe after that some of my own creation.

The 4 girls are doing great now. Planning to flip them in about a week! Excited to grow hydro again after all these years. Off to a good start and organic at that. Pretty amped

20170802_151512.jpg
roots are making it into the rez finally. I feel like I should have a larger mass in the water before flip but looking above ground the plants are about 14" tall. Not knowing these strains in this system I'm reluctant to go much taller before flip. I don't have a ton of headroom to play with.

Thinking the max I want to veg to would be 18". The querkle is way behind the rest. Half the size at about 7". I topped her a week or so ago and had I know she'd stay so small I would have left her the only untopped plant. As is now I just topped the 2 ducks again for a second time to try to allow the querkle to catch up as much as she can. Im guessing I'll split the difference between the shortness of the Q and the height of the duck when I flip but the average plant will be around 18". I'd rather be a little too short vs too tall.

Found some hydro organic nutrients that are omri certified and affordable out of Canada I believe. They are called Nature's Nectar. Like sugar peak it is an all inclusive formula I guess. Except it basically comes with 4 bottles. N, P, K bottles and a micro called organa add.
They also have a terpene plus but I don't think it's organic. I should have time before switching to bloom nutes for both these sugar peak and natures nectar to show up and decide which one to use first. Will probably then try the other during the next grow I'll call my October grow. Then in the spring I'll probably pick 2 of my 4 plants to be the same strain from clone and run a side by side test on to what has a better flavor and growth and ease of use. Hopefully at least one of them will work out :)

These plants are growing like crazy :) I was thinking another week in veg but it's like they grow 1" a day and 1" a night lol. So I decided to start flipping them now. Except it will be a slow flip. I have been vegging at about 20hrs/4hrs. Yesterday I switched to 19. Today is 18. Tomorrow will be 17. Day after 16 then from there I'll start to slow down and subtract 15 or 30 per day until a few days later when I'm at 12/12.

Thinking and trying to squeeze in 1 more grow after this grow before winter gets too bad. The gg4 went 45 days with my decreasing schedule and it was in soil. Then again i had stressed it was nute lock soooo. Trying to play the split the difference game makes me want to run 12/12 for a few weeks into flip. Then start reducing lights slowly until I get to 11/13. I'm hoping to harvest about 7 weeks into flip. Then again flower next grow after aiming for 7 weeks. This will put me harvesting that Oct grow as I called it on about 15th of nov. After that growing in the greenhouse is not feasible.

My plan then is to use blue board and insulated tarps to cover the roof. Use blue board and tarps to cover my second story floor. Then I'll have the fish below so the radiant heat I will keep the room at about 60. So the plants will be about 70 at lights on and fish water will not need chillers.

I was thinking of trying to just veg below this winter but solar power is so rare in winter I think I might just actually flower instead. The fish need a little light I think not to mention me when I work the room. So maybe going to try a weak T5 grow then. Probably not even all the bulbs or maybe some led t5 if I can find them to mix with the power veg uv t5. I would run the light on a diminishing schedule maybe even start at 11/13. I thought about gas lantern vegging but that still takes 13 hours of lights on. Guess I'll have to see what t5 can flower with 10hrs of lights lol. Actually for the worst days in winter my generator runs for about 8 hrs a day. So thinking I might schedule the lights around that and set the run parameters on the genny to coincide. Have to see how it goes. Could be a nice microgrow :)

2017-08-04_14_39_18.jpg
beyond happy with the health of the girls. Yes the bugs taxed them good for a bit but all flying insects pretty much. Last year the bug zapper worked but the one I posted this year didn't cut it. So I dug a larger model out of storage couple few days ago and that's been excellently guarding the girls. They are nearly bug free and down to what I consider acceptable random bug here and there.

Will give one more organic bug spray tonight and then maybe another before flower set. I don't spray once flowers start but that's me. So there is some leaf damage visible from leaf eaters and suckers but the plants are growing great. Color has come back to even the super old second set of leaves to almost a normal green. Not sure I've ever seen a leaf look so ruined come back so well. The leaves aren't dark green like the ones outdoor were so I'm interested to see if I can get a brix score on these in a few weeks and then how the final product tastes. Not dark green but they are super healthy. Hope I can keep it up through flowering!

Got the grand finale sugar peak earth juice in the mail. It's mostly organic lol. Damnit. Now Im toying with the idea of using natures nectar this round as it is omri certified. Using other supplements that are organic but not certified to fill the gaps. Then over time during other grows trying to replace the weak links with omri certified products. Well first I'd use up all the extra sugar peak I bought lol but then try to see what the best I can do with omri certified products. Which is not many products so it may take some time. Also want to try to find the best "natural" nutrients to use. Nothing synthetic just maybe products that are organic 100% but not certified.

Im still toying w the idea of providing for others so I want to be able to say I've tried most all types of growing organic. I don't have much hope for hydro keeping up with soil but it's worth a shot. I have seen a few hydro top ten entries more than once just doubt any were 100% organic certified. As for soil doc buds kit is pretty retrichulous lol. Really love the kit beyond words. I'd love to do a side by side with the kit and super soil and a local homegrown recipe and whatever best hydro i come up with over the years. If I had patients I could have more options for testing as I only have 4 plants rt now :) anyway always trying to look ahead. As for now these duck girls are just exploding and so is the critical. Querkle in her own way I guess :D she's very healthy just vertically challenged. Lol.

Was gunna try to give the Querkle more time to catch up but even after topping the secret duck she is still taking off like a thoroughbred. I made the right choice starting to soft flip or slow flip them now. I just can't wait any longer.

Mixed a super strong batch of tea and new rez nutes last night and the plants seemed to take just fine. Also started bumping up the bloom nutes a little to see how the system like it. Seems good. Reminds me i cleaned pump filter with rez change but not pond filter so off I go.

ZomboMeme05082017004424_05082017004424.jpg
Auryte! Well I did not do this girl any justice in the garden or studio but let me say, she has done an amazing job of taking care of me. I hate to be trendy but the gg4 effect is just great, I'm on the bandwagon lol.

I've heard it was named gorilla glue because it glued you to the couch. I've also heard from the source I believe that it was because the buds were so sticky. Either way I personally don't feel couch locked. I feel less pain and yet also motivation and creativity but without the race of sativa. This kind of reminds me of diesel from last grow. A strain I can function on and that still yet helps my back pain and knee pain. the flavor is great. Maybe only thing I could say that's not my ideal. Nice real nice but not the best. Damn I hate to sound like a pot snob. Don't let that take away from the glue, tastes great. I have been crazy about this strain. I've tried it from all over the USA and it all tastes almost the same and has the same effect. I'm just amazed my stuff can hang with the other i have tasted and I did a sub par grow. Though I know a guy with a niiiiice garden of double the strains I have and he says the gg4 looks the worst. Looks ok, just in last. He is about 4 weeks in bloom. We will see how that pans out soon.

To conclude, I'm in love with gg4. This was awesome to see my game, yeah not at the top, but I did take it up a notch some how this year already. That's the best kind I've produced in a looooong time. Wish I hadn't messed up my brix grow and could have given her 12/12 but considering what went down I'm blown away. I mean hot damn that's fire and even I couldn't stop nature on that one. Flavor is great, smoothness is great, high is great, medicinal prop is great. It burns to white ash and stay's well lit. That was just amazing. Wish I had more. Was gunna not grow it again until next year but I know the t5 grow will be a joke so I'm gunna see if I can't dig up a clone of it for grow after this. October grow. Just in love with gg4. Feel like all I'm missing is a purple strain for my flavor needs. Hopefully querkle can produce. Until then, thank God for the GG4!

Have you heard of knft? Korean natural farming. You use IMO (indigenous micro organisms) that you catch with a certain process using rice water and brown sugar I think. Then you take different things like peaches for example. You make a ferment. You take your peaches and smash em up and put the IMO on top that are in the brown sugar mixture. Then once those ferment you put it in water. Anyways I think you should look it up tho and see what you think

20170805_102358.jpg
woke up to this in my rez. Bubbling like crazy. So I checked the roots out and, not good. They were covered in sludge. Looked brown. So now I'm thinking of ways to clean and flush the system. The rez was low so I topped it off with fishwater minus nutes. The bubbling went way down and after dunking the plants a few times the roots looked much better. They still have build up which looks like it's coming down from the drip emmiters into the media down the holes in the bottom of top bucket and then dripping down the root's and into the water.

The roots under water looked much better but the roots that were suspended in air had the nutrients building up and making a thick sludge. Which I guess over time would really hurt the roots. So I tried to splash them clean but wasn't helping much. I'll go back soon with the spray bottle and try to blast them clean. Not sure if it was making the tea really thick or adding extra normal earth juice bloom nutes. I'll just keep leaning it out with fishwater or pure water and trying to spray the roots clean much as I can. Added canazym this round too so that should help a lil. When I get close to a nute change or the natures nectar nutes arrive then I'll flush out the system with pure water for a day or two before adding more nutes.

Should be ok. Just added more work but should be good still I believe. Really like testing things but also miss autopilot of docs kit :) well hopefully soon I can break the code on organic hydro. Would be nice to get more grows in per year w hydro. Then again would be nice to have patients and have both going on at the same time.

20170805_102613.jpg
here is the roots before I cleaned them. Just covered in nutrients. My guess would be bloom nutrients as I don't see the tea turning into that. I kinda feel like flushing now but the plants look good still and I sure hate to see couple of cups of expensive ass canazym go to the yard. So just gunnar go spray roots down now and play it by ear after topping of the rez with fishwater. If I start to see any signs of leaf stress I'll flush then otherwise I'll wait hopefully at least another 3 or 4 days and try to get some use out of the mix before it gets thrown on the yard. Will post a pic tonight or tomorrow of the roots after cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom