Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

I was wondering what happened that caused the silence. You break anything? If you don't have comfrey root for healing poultices I'd recommend. Nothing heals broken bones faster. Do you have a good topical handy?

I fall right into Dr Mom mode, don't I? :rofl:

Yea.... don't jump off your roof...... poor strategic thinking.
Side note before I get distracted.... one of Dale's plants had to go... he was just getting a touch too manly for my collection of ladies. The other one has totally enthralled me with her form. I'll do photos some day soon... but not today.

I'm not much of a poultice kinda dude. Still stuck in the 'old west' style of general medical thought really. It's got me this far down the road, tho a more friendly attitude towards it all would probably be healthier... and the years have certainly been piling up.
I do have some oil and I've been applying it. It seems to remove much of the edge. I've been able to avoid filling those prescriptions involving things that scare me.
My standard smoking habits have helped as well... not directly with pain, but helping me not care about it some.
It was funny.... as I was laying on the ground deciding if I could move or needed an ambulance and trying to fight off the shock symptoms, my smokin buddy rolled up a fattie and hooked me up. Nothing would have alleviated the pain, but it did calm me a bit and help me focus on mellowing my raging body.

Comfrey root you say...........

Sounds enthralling :laugh: Take care and don't think about another leap like that.

Hahaha! Reminded me of the time my mother got hit by a truck while crossing at a crosswalk. My daughter found her lying on the street, surrounded by a crowd, being tended to by paramedics, her leg in a completely unnatural position.

“Are you ok gramma?”

“I’ll be ok. Honey, would you make sure my book is in my purse so I’ll have something to read?”

No more jumping off the roof. :battingeyelashes: The poultice would knit the bones back together. Just sayin’.

Hey Tead! :high-five:
Over here on the edge of your property, letting your ugly dog sniff my hand...
What? This isn’t a dog? o_O I was wondering about the long tail...

Anyway, you don’t know me, but I just finished wading through 209 swampy pages of your highly entertaining, yet educational journal. I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent here, and I feel like I know you a little now.

But brother, I’m surprised and dismayed that in all those pages, no one has brought something quite serious to, not just your attention, but to the larger community of growers who are following your lead.

And that is the fact that, although PVC pipe is very damn convenient, it isn’t one of the plastics that are safe for growing plants for consumption by humans or animals. There are toxic compounds that can be leached out of the plastic which can end up in the plant (especially if using a lower pH nutrient solution).

For information on which plastics are safe, and how to identify what you have, you can check out the following:

Grow Hack: Is That Plastic Safe for Hydro?

They even had an artist prepare this graphic:

But if, like me, you don’t believe much you read in High Times, this is from Nat Geo/PBS:

https://www-tc.pbs.org/strangedays/pdf/StrangeDaysSmartPlasticsGuide.pdf

Anyhoo, except for that, your trailblazing work into perlite/OC+ hempy has been most inspiring. I am happy to be a convert.
:passitleft:

Over here on the edge of your property, letting your ugly dog sniff my hand...
What? This isn’t a dog? o_O I was wondering about the long tail...

Anyway, you don’t know me, but I just finished wading through 209 swampy pages of your highly entertaining, yet educational journal. I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed my time spent here, and I feel like I know you a little now.

But brother, I’m surprised and dismayed that in all those pages, no one has brought something quite serious to, not just your attention, but to the larger community of growers who are following your lead.

And that is the fact that, although PVC pipe is very damn convenient, it isn’t one of the plastics that are safe for growing plants for consumption by humans or animals. There are toxic compounds that can be leached out of the plastic which can end up in the plant (especially if using a lower pH nutrient solution).

For information on which plastics are safe, and how to identify what you have, you can check out the following:

Grow Hack: Is That Plastic Safe for Hydro?

They even had an artist prepare this graphic:

But if, like me, you don’t believe much you read in High Times, this is from Nat Geo/PBS:

https://www-tc.pbs.org/strangedays/pdf/StrangeDaysSmartPlasticsGuide.pdf

Anyhoo, except for that, your trailblazing work into perlite/OC+ hempy has been most inspiring. I am happy to be a convert.
:passitleft:

FilipeBlu, if you haven't shared that over at hempy headquarters I'd appreciate it if you would. Made me thankful that what caught my eye was a Rubbermaid pitcher. I'll assume that's a safe plastic to grow in.

And thanks for calling our attention to it. Wasn't it sweet how they brought dear Nancy into the graphic with "just say no"? :rofl:

Tryin to get back on the horse some... gotta get some things done today.
I've had a friend doing my gardening tasks. I'll be jumping on some of that today... avoiding lifting water jugs still, but the 1gal is doable.

As for my PVC pots.... I should point out that this is post 1977 (when the standards changed) PVC stamped with the ANSI label... so I know it's not the old dangerous stuff. Of course, I'd never use C-PVC for a garden and I'm really not sure they make C-PVC in such larger sizes since it's generally used for hot water delivery.
Anyway... yea... we've been down that plastic path before... somewhere.... somewhen.
Many folks seem to get caught up in endless echos of the information regarding the older PVC.. but these days they make it as safe as possible since every bit of water delivered to your house touches it at some point along the journey.
Gotta watch buckets and other containers, but PVC is safe these days ... until we discover some unknown issue.

Newer plastic plumbing components are marked to show that they meet the current standards for potable water. Compliant pipe is stamped with the codes NSF-PW or NSF-61, ensuring that these pipes meet the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards for potable or drinking water. This standard evaluates the contaminants or impurities of materials that come in contact with drinking water.

Of course, we could speak of the nightmare of chemical byproducts produced during manufacturing...... but that's true for any plastic production.

Good news! Thanks for the education!
:high-five:

One thing to keep in mind is that most drinking water suppliers (except Flint) endeavor to provide neutral to alkaline water. We use acidic solutions (pH 5.5-6.0) in our hempy grows. Does this affect anything regarding the NSF standard?

Glad that you’re aware of the potential issue. We’ll just hope no one is using the older PVC.

:surf:

Well... the NSF standards were developed to support a wide range of environments. Remember... these are made to go in the ground where they might face all sorts of PH situations. While that PH is outside the pipe, if it degraded the plastic we'd surely see signs of it after being buried for many years. Most of the stuff I see dug up still has the ink writing on it. The well used interiors of these pipes typically have some buildup on them, but never seen one rotted out in any way. This tells the amateur scientist in me that these pipes are pretty damn stable.

I've been fascinated by the Flint issue. They switched to a different water supply and didn't account for the effect of the changed PH (ever so slight) on the residuals that were covering their lead bits. If it were not so tragic, it would be a humorous boner for a municipality to pull. Unfortunately, it really forms a warning for the rest of us as most of us have lead bits in our water distribution system that are protected by the same process Flint had going.

Personally, I have a water filter in place that feeds the entire house (except for the spigot I use for the garden). I'd like to imagine that it protects me from problems in the water system, but "boil water" orders are pretty frequent in this storm plagued corner of the world and Tead always boils when such warnings are issued. Our water distribution system is very leaky and suffers ground water intrusions when the pressure falls for whatever reason.

Thanks for addressing this and providing your informed opinion regarding the apparent stability of PVC pipe. I saw a couple references that had me worried that you guys might be harmed, but I feel so much better about you and others using it now. Whew!
:ganjamon:

Glad to hear you are up and OK Tead! That sucks man, take it easy.

I need to stop climbing ladders and getting on roofs soon too, getting too old for a grounder! NOLA always has been a minefield of dichotomy, and it gets on every residents nerves eventually, most of my relatives still love/hate it, lifelong story! I don't want to deal with the traffic in NO, just too much for me as I age. Moving close enough to visit, but not live in the thick of it like the first 26 years of my life.

Concerning PVC pipe "nasties" ... perhaps most folks don't realize that NO tap water comes from the Mississippi River, and there are hundreds of petrochemical and other industries are dumping kaboodles of gallons of toxic crap into the waterway daily, from stem to stern. That's how we earned the saying "asshole of america"! :laugh:
I think every supply pipe I've seen in NO was encrusted with sediments, water never touches the pipe wall directly again after a year or two! :laugh:

I remember a "field trip" while in grammar school to the S&WB water treatment plant ... so very disgusting and shocking ... makes the PVC pipe contact worry moot. :peace:

Peace
Keith

Tead, it was good to hear from you. Hate it that you fell and am glad you are on the mend.

Love the pic you sent. It got me to thinking that you have a stronger light feeding them than I do, so I finally turned on the second set of cobs tonight. Gave her some fox farms nutes tonight too. She has stretched to 29" tall now. It's going to be hard to keep up with hempy and sunlight.

Thanks for addressing this and providing your informed opinion regarding the apparent stability of PVC pipe. I saw a couple references that had me worried that you guys might be harmed, but I feel so much better about you and others using it now. Whew!
:ganjamon:

Yea... I friggin hate the media sometimes. They really are just shooting for a headline most of the time. They drag up any issue that looks like it might collect eyeballs and spew it up to us without any actual technical or even up-to-date information. Then other idiots and semi-news re-spewers that do even worse things to the info. The next thing you know, everyone is suspicious of every piece of plastic in our world. Meh!

That's how we earned the saying "asshole of america"!

I've always been a fan of the phrase "Living at the bottom of the toilet bowl!"

I think every supply pipe I've seen in NO was encrusted with sediments, water never touches the pipe wall directly again after a year or two!

Just for the record, that tan/brown sediments in pipes is usually a touch of calcium added to the water system specifically meant to create that sediment. That sediment is what WAS protecting the lead pipes in Flint. They changed the PH and the sediment came loose from the existing system allowing lead to come into contact with the water.
While I realize it's not so appealing to peek at the sediment in your water supply system, it's actually a required component.

so very disgusting and shocking

....Things I try to avoid thinking about on a daily basis.

It got me to thinking that you have a stronger light feeding them than I do

Naw.... you're just seeing the speed difference between hydro and soil. Fun to see it displayed in such an dramatic way.
Don't get me wrong... sunlight is a great thing... but the most dramatic difference in our grows is the hydro/soil variable.

Glad you're mending friend. I'm still a little haunted by that pic of you laying in front of the perlite with a hemp pot for a pillow. Pretty melancholy...

The face blur sure ruined an un-happy face photo.
Note for future reference... hempy tubes suck as pillows.

I had the same mental picture Weaselcracker but it immediately changed into a video when that dog showed up with the ball saying "don't just lay there, throw the dang ball!!!"

She's a smart girl and knew something was afoot. She mostly just stood by and had mercy on me. My buddy put her inside when the visitors with needles arrived.
Poor girl... Tead's wing is clipped and she gets less ball chasing action these days. Plus, the working wing is the non-dominant one.... Tead's aim is suckin.

I wanna know how long it took for the bathtub to fall thru the floor after adding hydrofluoric acids to eat the body? JK Educational? Keepem Green my Friend.

Back
Top Bottom