The Mega Crop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

My MC grow, grapefruite strain, lots of photos!

Could we have more pics on this thread of large sticky gooey buds grown with M Crop? In particular some late flowering or even post harvest ones?
Anybody?
Don’t be shy now :passitleft:

I go out of the country for a few and miss the start of a new thread on one of my favorite topics.

Out of the country, huh? We weren't in South America enjoying a Legacy, were we? :D :D :D

I use MC v2 in Pro Mix or my Pro Mix copy dubbed Faux Mix®. I feed by volume rather than weight. My weight trials led me to 1/8 tsp = 1g + or - .1g. that was close enough for me. I do supplement Silica via Dyna Gro's Pro-Tekt, and also supplement Cal Mag to keep my blended N-P-K at my desired ratio. I use my city tap water that comes in at 150ppm. I have a RO water system but quit using it for the plants since I don't have to lug the water as far and the tub faucet fills the jugs quicker. I found no difference between using the RO and my tap. My feed schedule is below along with a pictures of a grow of 3 Fastbuds autos that yielded 29.5 oz in a tiny 32"x32" tent. Of those three, one of them netted me Plant of the Month back in June, a 12oz Blue Dream. It was the first grow I used MC and it beat my previous best using all Dyna Gro products by nearly 50%. So yeah, I'm a fan.

Thanks for this. It was just brought up a couple days ago about the weight of the product changing over time, and whether or not volume measurements would be better once a person had their info dialed in. I would say you've certainly put forth a convincing effort that by volume is just fine. :D

Looking at your chart there- what EC conversion ratio are you using to get ‘ppm’? Thanks :thumb:
I see Eutech
CEAD9AD5-E6D0-442D-B0BE-D154F664B63D.jpeg

Oh yes and the EC is written right there on that chart too, duh. Thanks WH.
I started feeding my plants using a mix based on Mega Crop’s ratios. I just took whatever was on the shelf that worked and mixed things up using the Hydro Buddy program.
My ppm came in quite low so I got worried and remixed it 20% stronger, though I did read in this thread some people noticed the same thing with low ppm.

Out of the country, huh? We weren't in South America enjoying a Legacy, were we? :D :D :D

Riviera Maya Mexico on a little vacation with the wife.

Thanks for this. It was just brought up a couple days ago about the weight of the product changing over time, and whether or not volume measurements would be better once a person had their info dialed in. I would say you've certainly put forth a convincing effort that by volume is just fine. :D

A lot of the questions in this thread have been examined before. Yes Mega will absorb some moisture, but @InTheShed did an expirement with a sample. Weighed it before, let it sit out in his shed for several days in a high humidity environment, and weighed it again. To me the weight gained from the humidity was negligible and that would be an example of the most careless use of the product possible. If you use the product and immediately reseal the bag, I don't see it gaining that much weight and throwing things off in the long run.

Looking at your chart there- what EC conversion ratio are you using to get ‘ppm’? Thanks :thumb:

I have a spreadsheet that I do my calculations in. When I got my bag of Mega, I took a 5g sample of the product and added it to a gallon of water and noted the PPM increase. I divided that increase by 5 to get the PPM increase per gram used. I use the same process for every product I use (5ml for liquids). Then when I want to know the resulting PPM for any blend of products, I just input the ml or g used and the spreadsheet calculates the total for me. But really, I'm not a total PPM guy, it doesn't really concern me. I am more into PPM of Nitrogen and the balance of N vs several of the other key elements. That's a different kettle of fish.

I'm not a total PPM guy, it doesn't really concern me. I am more into PPM of Nitrogen and the balance of N vs several of the other key elements.

Yeah I hear you. But after six months of juggling those key elements in various different mixes, and a batch of plants that went for shit simply because I was under-feeding them, I guess I’m feeling a little gun shy :) Thanks for the info.

Riviera Maya Mexico on a little vacation with the wife.

Very nice. I like to hit Isla Mujeres now and then. Great little island in the area.

Very nice. I like to hit Isla Mujeres now and then. Great little island in the area.

First went to La Isla back in '82 on a ferry with the locals. It was a double decker boat but the exhaust stack for the diesel engine didn't extend up through the 2nd floor. We were on the lower deck and thought we'd be gassed to death. Must have been saved by the "filter", a t-shirt draped over the 8" exhaust pipe and tied down.

Well... What if you were to place an amount that you think may have drawn moisture into the oven @ some temperature that is above the boiling point of water at your atmospheric pressure for a half-hour or so (such at 250°F at sea level, or even 225°F)? Would this guarantee an anhydrous sample?

@GreenleafNutr , would my idea be at all likely to harm the sample of your product? I'm glad to see that you are interacting with the members here, by the way. That might help some of us learn to use your product and, who knows, may at some point present the opportunity for you to improve your products, too. And, of course, thank you for being a sponsor (advertiser) on our favorite cannabis-related forum (and virtual second home ;) ).
HI, this is probably not a good idea. A lot of the ingredients have water in them, for example Calcium Nitrate is
Code:
5Ca(NO3)2•NH4NO3•10H2O
Which has H2O in it. So you will not get good results by trying to cook it. Also it might even damage some of the components also in the process.

Given the makeup of MC, with powder and balls, I don't think you will get a representative sample of both in a 1 gram measurement. I actually don't mix less than 3 gallons at a time to make sure I get a more evenly distributed powder/ball ratio.

I would do at least a 6 gram sample as a benchmark, and higher for more accuracy. It's not like it's going to go to waste once you mix it.
This is true, for small measurements (under 5-10grams), there will be variations in components of the fertilizer. If you are feeding everyday or so, it will eventually even out over a period of several days, but if you are feeding once per week, this will potentially lead to some imbalances in the nutrient mix.

In this case of small amounts, there are a few options. I have heard of people using a coffee grinder or blender to make an even mix. Also you can do a liquid concentrate method, like 100g in 1L of water, then 10ml will yield 1g fertilizer.

Yeah I hear you. But after six months of juggling those key elements in various different mixes, and a batch of plants that went for shit simply because I was under-feeding them, I guess I’m feeling a little gun shy :) Thanks for the info.
Definitely keep an eye on your plants, if they look underfed you can increase the dosage right away and they should respond quickly.

This is true, for small measurements (under 5-10grams), there will be variations in components of the fertilizer. If you are feeding everyday or so, it will eventually even out over a period of several days, but if you are feeding once per week, this will potentially lead to some imbalances in the nutrient mix.

In this case of small amounts, there are a few options. I have heard of people using a coffee grinder or blender to make an even mix. Also you can do a liquid concentrate method, like 100g in 1L of water, then 10ml will yield 1g fertilizer.

I routinely feed from anywhere from 1 to 6 grams per gallon (1/8 tsp to 3/4 tsp per gallon) depending on the size of the plant, and haven't had an issue with the small quantities, but then again I'm feeding about every 2 days so that may balance things out like you say.

Reconstituting Mega Crop into a liquid for a more consistent representation of the overall product is great in theory, but my trials have not gone well. I've wasted over 400 grams of the product trying to create a liquids like you've mentioned on several occasions. After a day or two, elements fall out of suspension and form a precipitate on the bottom of the container. Shake all you want, not all of it will go back into suspension. Maybe if you are going to use it all immediately it would be ok, but I want to mix up a larger batch so I'm not repeating that process every time I have to water. For that reason I find it no better than just using it as a powder, which is far less time consuming.

PS - Great to see a representative active here in this forum now.

Reconstituting Mega Crop into a liquid for a more consistent representation of the overall product is great in theory, but my trials have not gone well. I've wasted over 400 grams of the product trying to create a liquids like you've mentioned on several occasions. After a day or two, elements fall out of suspension and form a precipitate on the bottom of the container. Shake all you want, not all of it will go back into suspension. Maybe if you are going to use it all immediately it would be ok, but I want to mix up a larger batch so I'm not repeating that process every time I have to water. For that reason I find it no better than just using it as a powder, which is far less time consuming.
Its more useful for growers using very small doses (like less than 5g per feeding). Its optional, and there are other ways to address these concerns.

However, I think you made some mistake in your mixing. You can mix a concentrate into a liquid, and some small amounts of precipitate will form of calcium and sulfur. However, all you need to do is shake the mix well so it is even, then add dosage into your water from there. After several hours, the precipitate will eventually redissolve into the final water mix to be soluble again (the calcium and sulfur).

@GreenleafNutr Just out of curiosity, if I were to mix up a concentrate similar to what you stated (100g/liter), how long would this last before going bad if held at about 70°F? I use about 3 gallons @6g/gallon twice a week right now.
It should last a very long time, I don't really see what would make it go bad. There are some organic portions in Mega Crop and the chelates that could act as a food source for natural decomposition fungus, so it you store at normal 70F temperature, you may get some of this growth (which is not too big of a problem). If you refrigerate it should last much longer without any of the organics decomposing. The core nutrient minerals do not really decompose, they last a very long time .

Also as mentioned, you can grind up 50g in a coffee grinder/blender to get a complete uniform mixture and use this also.

Its more useful for growers using very small doses (like less than 5g per feeding). Its optional, and there are other ways to address these concerns.

However, I think you made some mistake in your mixing. You can mix a concentrate into a liquid, and some small amounts of precipitate will form of calcium and sulfur. However, all you need to do is shake the mix well so it is even, then add dosage into your water from there. After several hours, the precipitate will eventually redissolve into the final water mix to be soluble again (the calcium and sulfur).

I mixed 113.4g in a quart. See here. And the Result. The jar is still unused sitting on a dresser with at least 3/4 inch of sediment. I won't feed it because when I did try to use some of a previous batch that fell out of suspension, even after a good shaking, I saw almost immediate calcium deficiency. For me, sticking with straight powder seems to work best, even with small quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom