TheRoach's First - Soil - Aurora Indica - Organic Grow - 600W

I was checking the plants after moving them back under the flourescent light, and I saw a few roots going trough the bottom and lower sides of the fabric pots. The tips of the roots were dried and dying, so the root pruning is working correctly.
It seems the hardening off had a great timing, the clones are now fully rooted!

Here you can see the roots going through the fabric pots; I had a plastic bag under each pot to avoid water from spilling during watering, so the hi humidity allowed the roots to survive for longer. After removing the plastic bags, the roots dried quickly and begun to die:

WP_20150625_023.jpg
WP_20150625_022.jpg

The clones in the propagator are showing their first roots, and also showing signs of yellowing in the lower leaves.

WP_20150625_020.jpg
WP_20150625_0101.jpg
WP_20150625_011.jpg

And the plants in the fabric pots getting ready to flower

WP_20150621_016.jpg
WP_20150621_017.jpg
WP_20150625_016.jpg
WP_20150625_017.jpg

7 days ago I harvested a few buds from one of the aurora indica mothers, donors of the original clones. Not really the quality Im looking for, but at least pot I grew myself!
WP_20150625_003.jpg

Nice job Roach! Getting a little reward for your efforts :). I see your cloning machine is kicking butt again :thumb:

I did some defoliation on my Aurora's. Put up some before and after picks. I got my glacial dust and kelp meal and I started some organic style soil for my next grow.

Happy that you will get to sample your efforts soon. And I say it as I am smiling, proud of you :thumb: + reps

Looking really good! Great info on EVERYTHING! I'd love to try organic in the future. I did my own compost bin on my back porch shortly after moving here and the neighbors just complained about the flies so I had to take it down (apartments). When we move into a house I'm definitely reviewing this thread again to use your notes. Thanks for the great info and detailed instructions!
GB80

Thank you for stopping by Guambomb! I really appreciate your support!!!
Yes composting can attract bugs, sorry you had to take down your bin. I'm glad my thread is being interesting for you.
I hope you get to grow organically soon! Sourcing the stuff Ii needed was very interesting indeed. Regards.

Nice job Roach! Getting a little reward for your efforts :). I see your cloning machine is kicking butt again :thumb:

I did some defoliation on my Aurora's. Put up some before and after picks. I got my glacial dust and kelp meal and I started some organic style soil for my next grow.

Happy that you will get to sample your efforts soon. And I say it as I am smiling, proud of you :thumb: + reps

Thank you for the encouraging words Scar! my buds are not at the level yours are, but soon they will improve: these buds where fertilized only twice with a organic tea made with banana, lentil meal and oats bran. Your journal has been an example and a source of inspiration for me. Next round of clones are hardening off in the flower room as we speak, two hours today.
I also took a picture of some more AI buds that look a bit better, I hope you approve them:

WP_20150626_008.jpg

The plants in the fabric pots hardening off:

WP_20150626_001.jpg

Thank you very much for your continued support!

Here are a couple pics of my continuous flow reactor worm bin. Such a big name for a wooden box.
The technology and science behind it are sound; it basically takes advantage of compost worms being epigeic , that is, they like being in the superficial layers of soil, where rotting matter is more common.
So you put food on it, the worms eat it, then you add a layer of wet shredded cardboard and then another layer of food. Worms will go up where food is, living in the new layer of food/cardboard until this layer is exhausted too.
Then you add a layer on top and they migrate upwards; when there is no space for more food on top, you scrape the bottom and harvest the rich compost layer, gravity forces the whole contents downward toward the grid of ropes and leaves some space on top for new food.
This unit, roughly 150 cm by 40 cm (if im not wrong) can produce around 5 gallons of finished compost, with the added benefit of having finished compost free of worms (normally a limitation in other bins, as worms have to be removed by hand or sifting for the compost to be usable)
I feed with fruits and vegetables only, along with cardboard for Carbon; I get the food scraps from a local fruit store owned by a friend.
The cardboard comes from local businesses that happily donate the waste once I tell them how it will be disposed of!
In the last two years, these worms may have processed over two metric tons of waste; they have a voracious appetite.

This unit may not be a beauty to behold, but it produces top-notch compost and requires no maintenance.

Notice all the food scraps on top, those will last no longer than 24 hrs; the bin needs to be loaded again soon.

WP_20150618_015.jpg

WP_20150618_020.jpg

Worms love hanging in that corner. See all the black stuff in the inner walls? Scrape that and you get 100% pure castings, ideal for topping pots; unfortunately there are very little wall-poopers, most of them leave their castings where they should.
WP_20150618_017.jpg

Here you can see the synthetic rope used for the ¨floor¨ of the reactor.
Any other organic material wouldn't last long, as the leachate of the bin degrades stuff very quickly.

WP_20150618_016.jpg

I stapled some sturdy plastic to the planks, as I knew they wouldn't last long enough by themselves against the fungal and bacterial micro-life of the compost. The impermeable lining keep the planks from rotting and also help the compost ¨flow¨ downwards

WP_20150618_023.jpg

Look at how this plank looks. I didn't line it with plastic and now it has been colonized by fungi. I take it and put it under the sun to keep it from rotting: fungi and bacteria are very sensitive to the searing UV rays of the sun!

WP_20150618_024.jpg

and this is the ugliest part of the bin. bottom view of the compost. All stuff that is not promptly consumed by the worms will end up here, as impurities in the finished compost. I have mostly pieces of stem from my cherry tomato, cucumber and pumpkin plants: I have found that only high lignin stems will endure the journey.
I pick up the larger pieces and just put them on the top of the bin. Not even the thick stems of a cannabis plant will endure the trip twice.

WP_20150618_022.jpg

I hope this comes handy for any of you guys! (specially you WeaselCracker, Cracker of weasels wherever they raise their furry heads)

Thank you for watching :420:

Hey roach! Man I want to make one of those. I'm gonna read more about it. That looks awesome! !!!

Hey roach! Man I want to make one of those. I'm gonna read more about it. That looks awesome! !!!

Thank you for stopping by my thread Chillfam! That bin was really easy to make, you just need 4 planks! a few pages back I posted an image with the original design.

nice updates, and those buds look so tasty :thumb:

Thank you very much Ganjazz, I still have to wait for them to cure. I will give them two weeks!

Hello Scar, thank you for the link! I read that thread once, very good information in there. My plan is to let the plants grow a single cola in a SOG set up: I read in a thread that defoliation helps improve the yields in this kind of set up. I will have to do more research but Im leaning towards defoliation. Thxs!

Your AI look just like mine. Very white pistols with the lime green sugar leaves, with some very faint browning of a few pistols. I think I may be a few weeks ahead of you in flower but yours are looking good.

I didn't notice it much this grow but my last grow the smells went from very lemon zesty on a few to dank and skunky on some.

:thumb:

I smoked a couple bowls of the Aurora Indica #5 with my wife. It was dried for 7 days and has been curing for 2 days if im not wrong.
The jar had that aroma of "dont smoke me yet". Someday I will find an excuse valid enough to eliminate that guilt you experiment when smoking dried and non-cured cannabis.
I feel stoned, with that feeling in the eyes you get when you smoke in your coffee break and sit back in your computer hoping others dont realize you are moving with stoner moves.
The flavor wasnt great, but it wasnt harsh to smoke. The buds are potent enough to get me stoned, but not very powerful.
I hope they get better with time.

That is the same expectative i have for my cannabis growing skills!

Back
Top Bottom