Tok's First Mushroom Diary - Medical First/Recreation

Ready or not here I come.

Tok’s First Mushroom Diary- Medical First/Recreation

I don’t remember exactly how old I was when I first try Mushroom, but they where nasty tasting just chewing on them. You ask what was the dosage, I think we were doing around a ¼ oz. We did not measure, we just grab a hand full out of a baggie. I was not the brightest bulb in the shed in the very early 70’s, not that I am now. I do have a piece of paper from Duquesne University after three years from 2012 that says I am edjumacated. It must be me, they spelled my name correctly. :rofl:

Back to the matter at hand.
I took the easy way out for this first shroom grow and bought a Midwest Grow Kit from one of our new sponsors @Midwest GrowKits . The nice thing about a kit is everything is in one box, no looking to get something at the last minute. My mistakes started as soon as I started taking everything out of the box. This kit come with two tubs and one lid. As soon as I picked up the tub the bottom tub slipped off and fell to the floor. No damage done. :rofl: If you decide to buy one of these kits the only thing you will need to buy is the (spores) to get started. Which I did from our other new sponsor @Spore Genetics . Since this is my first go at this, I purchased Spore Genetics Fungi Flush with three 10 cc syringes. One was Blue Marine, another was A+ Albino and the last one is Red Boy

Anyways, it would have been a good comedy act of me inoculating 6 of my jars. I started off with a skip instead of a step. :eye-roll: My plan was to inoculate 6 jars with three different types of mushrooms. Well, it did not go quite that way. I ended up with three jars of Blue Marine, two jars of A+ Albino, and one jar of Red Boy. Anyhow, I only inoculate one with Red Boy, so next grow will have a larger present from Red Boy.

I am finishing up my temperature and light setting. Now, I wait and take images of any possible progress.

Rough start but, I feel somewhat confident that I did a couple of the grain jars right.
Images I was able to take by myself.

Images will be taken daily to show my progress.
It may be a week or so before I will see any Mycelial Growth Phase.

Come along and have a laugh on me attempting to grow mushrooms.
Guarantee mishaps, mistakes, blunders, to say the least. :goof:

That's all folks

Be safe and grow well my friends,
Tok..

Tok, I just did a run of Natalensis and Trinity and I used an enormous pressure cooker to sterilize the grain jars. Are you doing yours in the oven and if yes, at what temp and for how long?

Thanks for stopping by @Carmen Ray
This should be an interesting trip in more than one way.

Are you doing yours in the oven and if yes, at what temp and for how long?
I followed the Grow Kit instructions

Turn off all household heat and AC and close all windows. Make sure the air is very still in the kitchen. Spray Lysol Disinfectant spray (Optional) around your work area and let settle and dissipate.

Next, turn on the oven and pre-heat to 325 degrees. This will sterilize your oven. Once oven has reached 325 degrees, leave it at that temperature for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 250-275 degrees. After 10 minutes at this temperature, you can begin the inoculating process.

Sterilize the syringe with a lighter and alcohol swabs. Make sure you flame the syringe after every few jars, just for a second or two. Use the alcohol swabs to remove any debris stuck to the needle. Inject each jar reaching into the oven. Once done with the jar, replace the foil loosely and set aside, outside the oven.

Just may sure you have a clean working area with easy access to everything you need.

After Inoculation:

Mycelial Growth Phase– Incubation Period Spore Injection Angle the needle so you can see spore solution come out when injecting. The jars are now ready to be incubated at about 75-78 degrees F for several weeks.

Hope this helps.

Tok..

Thanks for stopping by @Carmen Ray
This should be an interesting trip in more than one way.

I followed the Grow Kit instructions

Turn off all household heat and AC and close all windows. Make sure the air is very still in the kitchen. Spray Lysol Disinfectant spray (Optional) around your work area and let settle and dissipate.

Next, turn on the oven and pre-heat to 325 degrees. This will sterilize your oven. Once oven has reached 325 degrees, leave it at that temperature for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 250-275 degrees. After 10 minutes at this temperature, you can begin the inoculating process.

Sterilize the syringe with a lighter and alcohol swabs. Make sure you flame the syringe after every few jars, just for a second or two. Use the alcohol swabs to remove any debris stuck to the needle. Inject each jar reaching into the oven. Once done with the jar, replace the foil loosely and set aside, outside the oven.

Just may sure you have a clean working area with easy access to everything you need.

After Inoculation:

Mycelial Growth Phase– Incubation Period Spore Injection Angle the needle so you can see spore solution come out when injecting. The jars are now ready to be incubated at about 75-78 degrees F for several weeks.

Hope this helps.

Tok..
Thanks Tok,
Just to clarify, how are you sterilizing the grain jars before you inoculate them?

Tok, I just did a run of Natalensis and Trinity and I used an enormous pressure cooker to sterilize the grain jars. Are you doing yours in the oven and if yes, at what temp and for how long?
I haven't tried Natalensis and Trinity , but they look interesting.

The jars I used for this grow were pre-filled already. Twelve of them came in a kit that I bought, but I did buy a case of Uncle Ben's Brown Rice in foil bags for the near future.
There are many video's on this subject, but I think I would see what other member say first.

I am still feeling my way in the dark.

I'm in, @Tokin Roll. This is going to be so fun! :party:

I ordered some filter patches and an all-in-one bag from Midwest that should arrive in a few days, and I have my two Sterilite 1938 clear totes to make a SAB and a fruiting chamber. Got a bunch of other stuff to try running some liquid cultures from spores, too. I'm almost ready to inoculate 🍄 and will start my diary soon.

Thanks for stopping by @BeccaBuds 🍄

This is all new to me, so first I need to grow some.
The reason I started with the kit, so to give me a better chance at success, first time.
I'm in, @Tokin Roll. This is going to be so fun! :party:

I ordered some filter patches and an all-in-one bag from Midwest that should arrive in a few days, and I have my two Sterilite 1938 clear totes to make a SAB and a fruiting chamber. Got a bunch of other stuff to try running some liquid cultures from spores, too. I'm almost ready to inoculate 🍄 and will start my diary soon.

Been reading a lot on growing plus, possibly go that way also.
I will be looking for your dairy; there's so many don't hide it. :rofl:

Good morning 420 Magazine

I did not catch the weather report yesterday and last night it when into the low 50's. This is not normally an issue, but I had my AC turn on and the heat was turn off. I woke up this morning to a chill 63 degrees house. The one good thing I had in my favor is I run my lights at night from 12 to 12, so the temps did not go to low.

The mushroom hotel was 73 digress with a humidity of 47% humidity whereas I normally keep it about 75-76 degrees with a humidity level of about 50% or so. I feel this is a good temp and humidity for the Mycelial Growth Process - Incubation Period.

I will post some image tomorrow, not much happening just yet.

Be safe, and grow well my friends,
Tok..

I suppose everything is moving right along. Too early to see any Mycelial Growth during the Incubation Period. With a little luck I should start to see something in about 4 or 5 days. Not a lot to update at this point, but I did get some current images.

That's all folk's.

Tok..

I suppose everything is moving right along. Too early to see any Mycelial Growth during the Incubation Period. With a little luck I should start to see something in about 4 or 5 days. Not a lot to update at this point, but I did get some current images.

That's all folk's.

Tok..
CL🍀🤞 :popcorn:

I had forgotten to mention that I pick up some little read to become better familiar with the process and the nomenclature along with it. I also, picked up some Vermiculite for when the time comes.

As I read the books I have on the subject, I will post notes, if I think it should be mentioned.

I decided on a very fine vermiculite for better moisture collection over the course stuff. Which is better? I have know idea, but I am going to learn and fine out. Will you join me in this adventure?

Tok..

I had forgotten to mention that I pick up some little read to become better familiar with the process and the nomenclature along with it. I also, picked up some Vermiculite for when the time comes.

As I read the books I have on the subject, I will post notes, if I think it should be mentioned.

I decided on a very fine vermiculite for better moisture collection over the course stuff. Which is better? I have know idea, but I am going to learn and fine out. Will you join me in this adventure?

Tok..
I'm interested that you've chosen vermiculite for fruiting, Tok. I look forward to finding out what the benefits are of the vermiculite. I'm also a rookie. I have the one run under my belt and I've used coir.

Back
Top Bottom