Total Noob: 1st Grow, Train Wreck Autoflower

As long as your mason jars are not really old you can get new lids for them.
They are all from Joe’s Crab Shack if you have those in your area lolol.

I know the humidity inside the jar is impotent and I’ve seen people put like humidity readers/thermostat things inside. Is that necessary? If so I’ll definitely need larger ones since these are small

It is important to know that humidity in the jar, accurately. I just recently was guessing as to the RH of my recent Jack Herer harvest. I got cocky, and thought that I could by look and feel, cure my product... because I am that good. Turns out, I had a lesson to learn.
I thought for over a month that I was in the curing range, 59-65 RH, but it turns out I was not. What clued me in, even though the buds appeared to be at the right cripyness, was that the pot wasnt improving in quality and taste like I felt it should after a month of curing.
I put a good meter in the jar and realized what the problem was. By guessing, the RH was at about 68%. It was dry enough not to mold, but not to cure. All I had accomplished in a month by neglecting to meter it, was a very very slow drying process.
After putting in the meter and burping the product down into the curing range, magic has begun to happen on those buds. Every couple of days brings a noticeable improvement to the smoke. Meters are important. Not cheap $3 meters either... a good inexpensive Caliber III is worth its weight in gold.

It is important to know that humidity in the jar, accurately. I just recently was guessing as to the RH of my recent Jack Herer harvest. I got cocky, and thought that I could by look and feel, cure my product... because I am that good. Turns out, I had a lesson to learn.
I thought for over a month that I was in the curing range, 59-65 RH, but it turns out I was not. What clued me in, even though the buds appeared to be at the right cripyness, was that the pot wasnt improving in quality and taste like I felt it should after a month of curing.
I put a good meter in the jar and realized what the problem was. By guessing, the RH was at about 68%. It was dry enough not to mold, but not to cure. All I had accomplished in a month by neglecting to meter it, was a very very slow drying process.
After putting in the meter and burping the product down into the curing range, magic has begun to happen on those buds. Every couple of days brings a noticeable improvement to the smoke. Meters are important. Not cheap $3 meters either... a good inexpensive Caliber III is worth its weight in gold.
Really? 3% too high caused that much of an impact? Wowzers

Am I going to need a meter in each jar? or if I have one meter I can rotate it to a different one each time I burp? Curious how you adjust humidity in a sealed jar

you are not adjusting the humidity in the sealed jar... you are drying out the product very carefully so that the average humidity in that jar reaches the curing range. By burping the jar for 10 minutes, you are releasing a very small amount of that moisture that used to be in the buds and now is floating around in the air in that jar.
You can get by with one meter. Just place it in the jar to be checked for 10 minutes or so and you will know what you need to do, if anything.

you are not adjusting the humidity in the sealed jar... you are drying out the product very carefully so that the average humidity in that jar reaches the curing range. By burping the jar for 10 minutes, you are releasing a very small amount of that moisture that used to be in the buds and now is floating around in the air in that jar.
You can get by with one meter. Just place it in the jar to be checked for 10 minutes or so and you will know what you need to do, if anything.
Gotchya! So if I understand correctly, the humidity will continue to rise as time goes on, because it's all being trapped in the air in the jar. By burping, you're releasing that humidity and lowering the levels. So if your humidity starts to rise over 65%, it's basically time to burp

Gotchya! So if I understand correctly, the humidity will continue to rise as time goes on, because it's all being trapped in the air in the jar. By burping, you're releasing that humidity and lowering the levels. So if your humidity starts to rise over 65%, it's basically time to burp
you have got it! And, not just the humidity, but also a tiny amount of other gasses that also come out of the curing process. Even once the humidity is where you want it, there is still a need to burp once a week/month... depending on where in the process you are.

you have got it! And, not just the humidity, but also a tiny amount of other gasses that also come out of the curing process. Even once the humidity is where you want it, there is still a need to burp once a week/month... depending on where in the process you are.
Cool cool! I think I have a good grasp of it/am ready haha.

@Emilya I thought I read somewhere in one of your posts somewhere that there is a technique of complete darkness for 48-72 hours before harvest? Did I misread that or is there somewhere I could read more about the technique?

Cool cool! I think I have a good grasp of it/am ready haha.

@Emilya I thought I read somewhere in one of your posts somewhere that there is a technique of complete darkness for 48-72 hours before harvest? Did I misread that or is there somewhere I could read more about the technique?
there is a theory that 36 hours of darkness right before the flip, helps to make the flip happen faster, and that 36 hours of darkness before harvest helps build better trichomes. I have done tests of this technique at both ends of the grow and have found them both to have merit. I forget which journal I documented this in, but it is out there somewhere.

They need a secure, screw on lid right? I have a tonnnn of mason jar glasses from god knows where, but no lids. Idk if they make them or if they are a standard size or what
I don't know where you live but in the states I have seen Walmart carry just the lids. I guess the Rubber seal goes bad eventually

I don't know where you live but in the states I have seen Walmart carry just the lids. I guess the Rubber seal goes bad eventually
If you can vegetables each year out of the garden the jar can be reused over and over... but the lids and caps must be replaced each time to assure a good and safe seal for food your family is going to eat.

there is a theory that 36 hours of darkness right before the flip, helps to make the flip happen faster, and that 36 hours of darkness before harvest helps build better trichomes. I have done tests of this technique at both ends of the grow and have found them both to have merit. I forget which journal I documented this in, but it is out there somewhere.
It kind of seems like a guessing game when harvesting.. I always see people say "I am 3 days before harvest" or "I am 5 days from harvest"... how do you know that? Aren't you supposed to wait until you see 30% amber trichomes or whatever you're going for? That seems hard to pinpoint. I guess once I am very close to harvest, you can start the 36 hours of darkness since thats only a day and a half.

you are right... at the end it becomes a guessing game, and you with whatever preferences you bring to the table. If you watch the trichomes every day, you can get a feel for the pace of the operation and start to make guesses as to how many days out you are, or like I do, time it for the next watering to put them in darkness. At some point you have to make a well informed, but arbitrary decision.

Back
Top Bottom