GodSpeed ~ Yes, MJ is a fighter for life she does not give up easily. Water contain very little oxygen so the growth is slowed. Once the cloner has an open slot I transfer the cutting over without scraping or use hormone. If the cutting has enough roots it goes strait into the 2L skipping the aero. Keeping it basic to save unnecessary cost.

Yes, I noticed on some older plants are showing pistils under GLR. They do not flower it's just telling me they're matured and is a female. Pre-flowering happen in all light cycle once the plant is matured enough, not all strain does this. If you're using HID with pre-flowering shouldn't be a problem. What light are you using and how high is it from the canopy?

420Dexter
~ Thank you brother. I need all the luck I can get. Any screw up will set me back. No longer have a daytime job so this is do or die.

Quixilvir ~ Once you're ready make it happen. Establish connection with patients, distributors/dispensaries, supply the demand and you're set.

GodSpeed ~ Yes, MJ is a fighter for life she does not give up easily. Water contain very little oxygen so the growth is slowed. Once the cloner has an open slot I transfer the cutting over without scraping or use hormone. If the cutting has enough roots it goes strait into the 2L skipping the aero. Keeping it basic to save unnecessary cost.

Yes, I noticed on some older plants are showing pistils under GLR. They do not flower it's just telling me they're matured and is a female. Pre-flowering happen in all light cycle once the plant is matured enough, not all strain does this. If you're using HID with pre-flowering shouldn't be a problem. What light are you using and how high is it from the canopy?

I was under the impression that this was the case, i am using a 240w MH about 8 inches over the canopy giving me about 10,000 lumens. Tomorrow i will be switching to 400w HPS intill i get a 400w MH and will be hanging it about 10 inches away giving me 20,000 lumens. I am following a light distance chart to get them specs.

If complete leaves slow root production, could that extend the Time Capsule's effectiveness?

Actually complete leaf will speed up root production. I'm thinking of just keeping the stem and some new leaf on top (newest growth) to slow down the root production even more...without leafs the cutting should remain a hermit for a good few months without rooting (just a theory). Going to test out some tonight. Sub experiment here we come! Now we know Vanilla Kush root in Time Capsule after 20 days with the leaf clipped in 1/2. Going to run the Vanilla Kush again fresh from the mother plant, this time without any leafs and see how long it will take. Longer the better. When the cutting take roots and is in veg/bloom they'll grow out new shoot and resume normal growth.

Gotta say, such personalized responses to my Q's is a bit flattering! The point I was making is; I was about to ask you why you clip the leaves, B/C I see many ppl doing this, but no one mentions it, or why. Before asking you, I decided to search the answer, and it seems many ppl feel that clipping the leaves of clones speeds up root growth, as there is less photosynthesis going on, do the plant focuses on growing down below. I don't know the validity of this claim, as I've never tried, but if "they" are right, then ideally, leaving the leaves in tact could extend root-less time. Your version of leaving the baby leaves sounds very similar, in that both reduce the usable leaf area. I have no clones to test either theory yet, but I will eventually if you don't. Also, if you don't want them to grow, would it really matter if one plant was shading another a bit? I am still completely lost as to how or why this works, so I would be afraid to try it until I understood the process, and could therefore make adjustments as I saw fit during the process, or I had clones that I could afford to sacrifice to experimentation. Is there anywhere I can look for more info on this process, or could you make us one of your eye-popping, graphiqized descriptions of what you're doing and why when you redo your space this weekend?
I can't that you enough for putting in SOOOOOO much work for us to share in your experiences. I couldn't think of a better member of the month candidate, congratulations!!

I was under the impression that this was the case, i am using a 240w MH about 8 inches over the canopy giving me about 10,000 lumens. Tomorrow i will be switching to 400w HPS intill i get a 400w MH and will be hanging it about 10 inches away giving me 20,000 lumens. I am following a light distance chart to get them specs.

I'm not the expert here, but I just bought a MH conversion bulb to go in my 400w setup due to the fact that T12 tells me that HPS has too much red spectrum to keep the plants from flowering in GLR. Keep this in mind if you are not ready to flower yet.

GodSpeed ~ Sweet. Hope the 400w put the stop to floral hormone build up. I'm using 600w MH in 4x4 tent and some strain showed pistils (pre-flowering) but they do not flower. Expect older plants to show pistils, some of my oldest plants (5-6 months old) do. Good luck and please report back in one week with pics.

SauronBlue ~ Got tons of cuttings to experiment with, so I'll sacrifice some in the name of science.

Hypothesis: Full leaf (non clipped) should root faster, clipped leaf root slower, and no leaf root even slower. Results from aero in 1-2 weeks. Results from the Time Capsule in about 1 month.

3 cuttings - Leaf left alone
3 cuttings - Leaf clipped in 1/2
3 cuttings - No fan leaf, leaving only the small portion of new growth on top alone

Same strain. 9 cuttings in aero, another 9 in Time Capsule.

Right now the Time Capsule is crowding the aero cloner (share the same light) will move them up one rack for organization. Stay tunes for some pics today on the new experiment!

I was wondering; if our plants were grown outside, they would be exposed to varying levels of moonlight, depending on lunar cycle and global position, so why is it so important for us to quarantine all light sources during dark hours? Wouldn't the low lumen house lights be similar to lunar light in having little to no uv components? If a soft white cfl light 6-10 feet away is not enough to grow even an anorexic plant, how is it enough to change the sex of my girls? I've been out in full moons that throw shadows on the ground. If we are mimicking nature (nothing beats outdoor plants), then why aren't we purposely giving plants low-level light at night?

SauronBlue ~ Interesting thought on the moon light. Not sure what benefit there is to have indoor light that acts like the outdoor moon. That would be a fun experiment. Unfortunately I don't have the space for it. Every grower wants complete darkness so the flowering cycle is not interrupt. Cannabis can reveg at any time giving enough light hours during the flowering stage. So by not having any light at all it's guarantee to stay in bloom. Though, a small light that acts like the outdoor moon may have some benefit.

jjames ~ Hi jjames. Tissue Culture can buy rooting/growing time up to 6 months. This is not Tissue Culture, this is just a plain cutting placed in a container with plain water that I call it "Time Capsule", which can hold up to 20-30 days before the cuttings root. Real Tissue Culture require solutions as food for the plant to live on just enough that it does not die and not too much that it would grow. I'm doing experiment right now to expend the rooting time with fan leaf control.

Siscokid ~ Thanks! :}

Time Capsule Experiment

Time Capsule (plain water in a cup for cuttings) keeps cutting from rooting for about 20 days to 1 month. I want to see if I can extend this with leaf control.

SauronBlue and I had discussion with this and thought I would set up an experiment to see if leaving the leaf alone, or clip them, or completely remove them will haste/slow rooting. I'm looking for the slowest rooting out of the three for Time Capsule.

MG_2151.jpg
MG_2154.jpg
MG_2157.jpg

Conducting an experiment with the following for 3 cuttings ea (9 total):

• Leaf: Full
  • Leaf: 1/2 Clipped
  • Leaf: None

The strain is Heavy Duty Fruity (forgot to add that in the pic).
These will be for the Time Capsule. Will have the same strain and 3 cutting per set for the aero cloner also by tomorrow. The experiment to see which of the set root the slowest, that's what we want. Expecting the set with no leaf root the slowest. Results in a month for the Time Capsule. :Namaste:

This is an awesome real-time experiment, for all to see! Again thanks to you for donating your time to all of us...I already +reped you today, but I'd give you another if I could!
Who'd have ever thought we'd ever want to work toward DELAYING rooting!? But it's such a useful concept. It can really change the dynamic of a typical grow, especially in one of small size like mine.
This project has me thinking....I wonder what the rooting times would be, using this method, but with cuttings taken while in flower.....

Hey 12. I think temp would be your best tool to slow root growth as well as guard against rot.
I have an incubator I originally used for keeping yeast culture (for bread and beer) I now use it for sprouts.
I can set the temp between 40f-100f and it will heat or cool as required.
I would think 40f-60f would slow cuttings to a crawl.

A guy might be able to retask and old refrigerator to do the job.

Quixilvir ~ Cuttings from flowering mom will add 1-2 extra week since the plant have to revert back to veg. Most often use for desperation trying to save the genetic. To use it for delaying rooting time further could help. The cutting itself has to be from the lower branch and shouldn't be way too far into flowering. If the cutting developed buds semi-finish it will root but will take forever to reveg.

Stoned4daze61 ~ Interesting. The moon plays importance in life on Earth too as it reflect some light from the Sun itself back down. Would need more science between the moon and plants.

LeafLady ~ Thank you. I hope to work on one for human some day. Delay aging :}

R2MNot ~ That's a good idea. Didn't really think about temperature. If anyone can do this test it out. I don't have an extra fridge for the test or lower the water temp.

Time Capsule Experiment - Aero

This is the aero version. Decided to do 2 clones per set instead of 3, need the space for other strains. The Time Capsule (plain water in a cup) will take about a month to see the results, so to speed things up I'm running the test in aero cloner. They will root much faster, however I'm comparing the speed among the 3 sets. The idea is to see which of the following set (full leaf, 1/2 leaf, or no leaf) clone the fastest/slowest.

The set that root the fastest will be use for the aero while the slowest for Time Capsule. Average rooting time for aero is 5-8 days (desirable root length at 10-12 days). Fast or slow we'll be taking advantage of both in different system. Traditionally we're told to clip the leafs in 1/2. Will see if we can break away from tradition and get optimal rooting time...:Namaste:

Heavy Duty Fruity (same strain as the ones testing in the Time Capsule)
MG_2161.jpg

Re: Time Capsule Experiment - Aero

This is the aero version. Decided to do 2 clones per set instead of 3, need the space for other strains. The Time Capsule (plain water in a cup) will take about a month to see the results, so to speed things up I'm running the test in aero cloner. They will root much faster, however I'm comparing the speed among the 3 sets. The idea is to see which of the following set (full leaf, 1/2 leaf, or no leaf) clone the fastest/slowest.

The set that root the fastest will be use for the aero while the slowest for Time Capsule. Average rooting time for aero is 5-8 days (desirable root length at 10-12 days). Fast or slow we'll be taking advantage of both in different system. Traditionally we're told to clip the leafs in 1/2. Will see if we can break away from tradition and get optimal rooting time...:Namaste:

Heavy Duty Fruity (same strain as the ones testing in the Time Capsule)

hey there 12! I really love the comparison! this is going to be interesting to see which do the best. My vote is for the 1/2 leafs being the fastest, but we shall see. Keep up the great work :thumb:

:peace:

looking good bro! I'm subbed!

It is an interesting experiment! :thumb:

Here's my hypothesis:

My prediction is that the leaves don't have ANY effect on rooting TIMES. The reason people cut leaves on clones is to minimize transpiration from the leaves until the plant has roots and uptake it's own water/nutes. So, I think removing the leaves, in part, will minimize transpiration while providing some stored nutes for the plant to live on.

Leaving the leaves on whole will provide the stored nutes, but, if the plant doesn't root quickly, it may dehydrate from water loss due to transpiration. I believe this is rare and applies only to phenos that take very long times to root.

As for the plants with no leaves at all, I'm really anxious to see what happens there, but I suspect, if they don't root quick, they'll die, having no stored nutes to feed off of.

But, I think rooting times will be fairly consitant across the test groups.

Either way, it's a great test! :bravo:

Quixilvir ~ Cuttings from flowering mom will add 1-2 extra week since the plant have to revert back to veg. Most often use for desperation trying to save the genetic. To use it for delaying rooting time further could help. The cutting itself has to be from the lower branch and shouldn't be way too far into flowering. If the cutting developed buds semi-finish it will root but will take forever to reveg.

Thats pretty much the point I was trying to get accross.....That, given a situation that requires you to extend the life of the cutting even further than the usual time capsule, you could take them from a flowering plant to buy you that extra time....I was thinking in terms of using the time capsule technique, with a flowering plant to buy the additional time, as a tool...Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom