Twisting leaves

The amnesia was from US based new420guyseeds dont know of any based in Mexico. They were fast on shipping & reasonably priced. I like the overseas breeders but wasn’t comfortable with the shipping and wait times due to covid last year. I need to build up a better seed stash....

funny how we all arrived at pretty much the same DIY tunnel build methods
I've only worked with one over seas company. I have to say shipping sucked for sure (COVID) and they got seised but they were replaced no questions asked (past pictures of the confiscation notice of course) and got here even faster than the first set. My freebies weren't the same but they were free and I sent them to my dad so I'm not complaining.

I have to agree with MG on the tunnels but either way synchronicity is super interesting.

Same here, small scale prepper so I need to be better prepared. Not there yet but agree breeding some regulars & selfing seeds are on the to do list. Yes I’d love to do a tunnel - maybe in a few years when legislation changes

One day I will try selfing for sure. First thing first buy more seeds. Regs of course so I can get more seedstock so I can start crossing those. From there I will figure out how to catch and store pollen along with selfing.

@Enjoying I will be adding safe pollen collecting and how to safely pollinate a bud in my future journal. It is not hard, the biggest challenge is not infecting your whole grow when moving the male to isolate it. Best to move before it matures.

@Enjoying I will be adding safe pollen collecting and how to safely pollinate a bud in my future journal. It is not hard, the biggest challenge is not infecting your whole grow when moving the male to isolate it. Best to move before it matures.
I will def take a look. If you remember please tag me so I can!

I've read a how to from Katsu on an isolation chamber and have read and seen pollination videos but there's only so much visual can do for me as I'm a hands on type of person.

I'd probably only ever pollinate outdoors unless I end up with the room to seperate the plants inside. But once I get into the breeding project I set myself knowing how to pollinate a branch safely would be great!

I've read spray the plant(minus the branch you want pollinated ofc) with water before and after, blow, sprinkle, use an electric tooth brush etc to pollinate the branch and cover for a few days. I guess it's just me second guessing myself that has me doubtful really.

I will def take a look. If you remember please tag me so I can!

I've read a how to from Katsu on an isolation chamber and have read and seen pollination videos but there's only so much visual can do for me as I'm a hands on type of person.

I'd probably only ever pollinate outdoors unless I end up with the room to seperate the plants inside. But once I get into the breeding project I set myself knowing how to pollinate a branch safely would be great!

I've read spray the plant(minus the branch you want pollinated ofc) with water before and after, blow, sprinkle, use an electric tooth brush etc to pollinate the branch and cover for a few days. I guess it's just me second guessing myself that has me doubtful really.
I will try and remember to tag you when I get that started. :thumb: I would be afraid of the wet plant collecting pollen... My approach will be to cover the whole plant with a large bag. Then cut a small slit in the bag and pull out the bud I want to pollinate. I will use a very fine paint brush to dab the bud with pollen. Once that is done I will bag the pollinated bud, then, mist the large bag with water to remove any pollen that may have collected there. I would then cut off and remove the larger bag. That way I can almost be sure I won't contaminate the rest of the plant. If the plant is to big to cover, then I would put pollen in a small bag and cover the bud securing the bag so no pollen could escape. Then, lightly thump the bag with my finger a few times and leave it wrapped for a day.

I will try and remember to tag you when I get that started. :thumb: I would be afraid of the wet plant collecting pollen... My approach will be to cover the whole plant with a large bag. Then cut a small slit in the bag and pull out the bud I want to pollinate. I will use a very fine paint brush to dab the bud with pollen. Once that is done I will bag the pollinated bud, then, mist the large bag with water to remove any pollen that may have collected there. I would then cut off and remove the larger bag. That way I can almost be sure I won't contaminate the rest of the plant. If the plant is to big to cover, then I would put pollen in a small bag and cover the bud securing the bag so no pollen could escape. Then, lightly thump the bag with my finger a few times and leave it wrapped for a day.
The second option is probs the way I would go. I think the thought behind wetting the plant first and after is water makes pollen null but I could be wrong.

I may try feminizing seeds as well. My only concern is getting hermi's. If I do go that route I will be trying the colloidal silver method.

You can always try just spraying a branch but I suppose the pollen would/could spread. I don't think I would honestly care. Like If I am trying to get seeds then that is the goal. If I spray a branch and it pollinates the plants I'd be fine with it. It would be a little annoying but not enough to make me really worry about it.

You can always try just spraying a branch but I suppose the pollen would/could spread. I don't think I would honestly care. Like If I am trying to get seeds then that is the goal. If I spray a branch and it pollinates the plants I'd be fine with it. It would be a little annoying but not enough to make me really worry about it.
True that, It does stunt bud growth though. The pollen is so small it can get away from you really easy. I would not be too upset either unless it got on a different strain in my grow. It's just a risk you must be willing to take.

True that, It does stunt bud growth though. The pollen is so small it can get away from you really easy. I would not be too upset either unless it got on a different strain in my grow. It's just a risk you must be willing to take.
Ehh if I making seeds then seeds are the plan but thanks for the heads up as I will make sure I have a stash so I don't run out while doing seed runs.

When I start playing around with all of this it will be for a cbd breeding project I have given myself which in the end will be a mix of all the plants together so I won't be to worried about it past knowing which is what so I will probably do sets to get seed stock, subsets for crossing and sets of subsets for deeper crossing. All of which will be noted with as much detail as possible for future crossing. Any pollen I catch will be labeled where I can look at the notes to know what traits the donor had. The seeds will be labeled with simple things and the notes will be parents, effects and generation. If I am missing anything here please let me know!

My hope is that I can get a greenhouse going in a legal state that I can grow year round without any temp control. I could do it here, I am just not sure my landlord would be okay with it.

I also need a lab to test cannabinoid content, terpene profile and percentage. If any one goes a legit lab in SoCal please let me know. I heard awhile back SC Labs is good.... or was that one that inflates the numbers.... lol. I want a legit lab so I know the numbers are as accurate as possible. A friend put me in contact with someone who works at a lab but it's been so long since I reached out that I don't even know if they'd remember. I guess I could reach out and see what they say. I'll do it right now as I have been thinking of it anyways. But Ill probs run into the same problem next year as I'll lose contact with them again.

@Enjoying I hear yeah that was where I was last year, I just let the males do their thing. I ended up with about 500 seeds. but only a couple ounces of bud from 7 plants. It was not just seeds, I also had bad soil issues. This years grow is more for the buds. However I did get some Bubba Kush seeds from bag weed. After the issue with the one I started I decided to sprout all the bubba seeds I had and got 5 new baby's going. I hope to finnish them off in the high tunnel. If I do end up with males I will be collecting some Kush pollen. I will be selective with the seeding though. I will be testing out feminizing seeds next year too. I have a supply of collodial silver that i can test with. Have heard there is a problem with hermi's from seeds doing it but, that is ok. It will allow me to gather pollen for other strains. I have enough out door buildings I can isolate plants in for gathering. I'm only doing a persoal use so the lab, for me would over kill. Not that I would not enjoy doing it, just more than I want to do. I would like to see what you do with a lab because it sounds fun to me.

@Enjoying I hear yeah that was where I was last year, I just let the males do their thing. I ended up with about 500 seeds. but only a couple ounces of bud from 7 plants. It was not just seeds, I also had bad soil issues. This years grow is more for the buds. However I did get some Bubba Kush seeds from bag weed. After the issue with the one I started I decided to sprout all the bubba seeds I had and got 5 new baby's going. I hope to finnish them off in the high tunnel. If I do end up with males I will be collecting some Kush pollen. I will be selective with the seeding though. I will be testing out feminizing seeds next year too. I have a supply of collodial silver that i can test with. Have heard there is a problem with hermi's from seeds doing it but, that is ok. It will allow me to gather pollen for other strains. I have enough out door buildings I can isolate plants in for gathering. I'm only doing a persoal use so the lab, for me would over kill. Not that I would not enjoy doing it, just more than I want to do. I would like to see what you do with a lab because it sounds fun to me.
Damn that is A LOT of seeds.

Is there a journal with the BK plants? I am interested in Bubba Kush but am just not sure where to start with it, to many options!

I will try selfing as an attempt to keep seed buying to a minimum. I have come across the info on a few strains where they say it may herm from being selfed also so apparently it does happen. I guess when you use them you'll just have to be more aware when you check on them. Or just isolate them in another building so if it does happen and you miss it, it's less devastating to the crop. OR if you have a plan when you sow seeds you can put the strains that you'd be okay with mixing in the same building.

I am only doing this for personal use also but I want plants with various levels of CBD that is why the lab plays an important role. Though without room for clones, males and a mother room I am unsure just how important =[

No I have set up a journal here for the Kush, ATM they are still babies. I am keeping track on a spread sheet though. (Got a little light burn from my crappy light) They are about a week old now. I wanted to wait till I get the tower up and a bit more regularity in the grow. My main (after my frost kill off) goal was to find the best spot to set up the tunnel.

BK1week.jpg

I started these because or the damage on the plant I had started last month getting eaten by what was thought to be a corn borer.

holeinstem.jpg

It is doing ok now but, it also legged out bad when I put it outside and shot up Fast! Since this pic it has grown about a foot.

bkrepair.jpg

I'm not so stuck on the CBD, maybe I should be, I will know when I get the strain I want as I go. Taking account of the CBD of the mother and feel.

No I have set up a journal here for the Kush, ATM they are still babies. I am keeping track on a spread sheet though. (Got a little light burn from my crappy light) They are about a week old now. I wanted to wait till I get the tower up and a bit more regularity in the grow. My main (after my frost kill off) goal was to find the best spot to set up the tunnel.

Yeah those are babies but they look happy.

BK1week.jpg

I started these because or the damage on the plant I had started last month getting eaten by what was thought to be a corn borer.

That is a destructive bug there....

holeinstem.jpg

It is doing ok now but, it also legged out bad when I put it outside and shot up Fast! Since this pic it has grown about a foot.

That is a super tall plant. I wish mine would get that tall. I think my last one was around 1.5 feet tall but I pulled a half ounce off of it and that was after a really crappy dry, it turns to powder. Speaking of which I need to correct this, this year. I wonder if N load has anything to do with this plant shooting up like that.

bkrepair.jpg

I'm not so stuck on the CBD, maybe I should be, I will know when I get the strain I want as I go. Taking account of the CBD of the mother and feel.

I am giving CBD a go because I have noticed I am still functional when there is a blend of THC and CBD but that could also just be strain as I've been reading that there are cleaner strains that have less come down or none. But it could also be that I just don't get high like I used to and am more sensitive to THC.

I'm striving for the get up and go of the Sativa, I'm also an artist and love the brain feed it gives. I also have really bad back problems from years of driving truck and body abuse from just busting ass. LOL I don't want the couch lock of the Indica unless, I'm ready for bed. I know I can get this with different strains however, I would like to have one good smoke that mixes both suited for my ills.

It is odd... I have other (in the back) that is half the size, and started in the same batch. I have others that are more filled out and bushy but they are also from last years seeds and not Kush. I wish I knew what strain my seeds are. They are piney smelling where the Kush is more skunky. I think it is just genetics or it may be male. I don't top my plants. I do trim the bottom but, after a certain height, I leave fan leaves to grow. It has started to branch and has 2-3 more months to grow. I feed them all at the same time and best guess the same amount of nutes.

I'm striving for the get up and go of the Sativa, I'm also an artist and love the brain feed it gives. I also have really bad back problems from years of driving truck and body abuse from just busting ass. LOL I don't want the couch lock of the Indica unless, I'm ready for bed. I know I can get this with different strains however, I would like to have one good smoke that mixes both suited for my ills.

It is odd... I have other (in the back) that is half the size, and started in the same batch. I have others that are more filled out and bushy but they are also from last years seeds and not Kush. I wish I knew what strain my seeds are. They are piney smelling where the Kush is more skunky. I think it is just genetics or it may be male. I don't top my plants. I do trim the bottom but, after a certain height, I leave fan leaves to grow. It has started to branch and has 2-3 more months to grow. I feed them all at the same time and best guess the same amount of nutes.

Exactly, I do seem to prefer sativa. Though I want to dabble with Bubba Kush as I hear it's good for relaxation w/o leaving you with couch lock. So I assume it'd be good for insomnia. I like sativa because I am lethargic enough and it def helps with my mood. This mango haze came out good for sure. I have nurse lily going this season. I am not sure of a sativa for pain relief. Honduras and/or Ethiopian from Ace...? but this is purely anecdotal. This is from another site and only one person there has said it so take it as you will.

A family member has a neurodegenerative disease, that hurts so badly on acute episodes that cannot even sleep, and the medicines secondary effects are far worse.

All I was stashed on was extreme sativas and hazes, she had told me about a bad (panic episode) experience with Colombian in her youth and I still wanted to help her, so used the Honduras x Ethiopian cross.

Not only the hurting stopped. She was able to sleep perfectly, and the acute episode went away for more than three days, so that jar was "quarantined" to be only for her, who went from an anti-cannabis view, to embrace and love it.

I believe there's something in Honduras (or Ethiopian?, but have the hunch is Honduras) that is good medicine...

************** *********** ****************** *************************** *******

I want to try quadlining but may just do LST as you don't top the plant which adds time to veg. This will be later down the line I want to get a few more grows under my belt first. This is only my second grow and my first had nute defs so it kind of trimmed itself - I removed the branches as the plant moved mobile nutrients elsewhere.

Nutrition wise I am going to be 100% organic always and this season I cooked some dirt and the plant seems to be healthier than last but it is a different strain so it may just be the strain looking different. Time will tell I guess.

What kind of art do you do?

Crafty stuff... I posted some pipes I made in another thread, Paint... acrylics, water color, pencils, Photography (Used to have my own dark room doing mostly 35mm) ... My wife wants me to make her a Bonsai Tree hemp plant. LMAO

I have insomnia that is why I'm still up LOL The smoke I have is the wake up get yeah going, we are out of OG Kush. Their are a lot of strains I want to try. That is one area I lack knowledge in, I just have to try a few at time and figure it out. Just hearing/reading names just don't replace trying it. To put more in a perspective way... I akin my approach to growing like a wine and I'm learning to grow my specialty grapes. The only way to tell what grapes I want, is to taste them. :drool:

That is cool when you can open up someones eyes like that. :cheer:

I always do LTS You need to if you trim imo. Kinda like Trimming bushes. There is truth in keeping some fan leaves. They do help cool the plant and in an outdoor grow, you need that. They do hold nutes but, all of the leaves hold nutes. I have side leaves as big as fan leaves on some plants, and getting bigger. I train the lower branches as they get longer. It is the reason for the cages. I guess you might say it is a vertical scrog.

Crafty stuff... I posted some pipes I made in another thread, Paint... acrylics, water color, pencils, Photography (Used to have my own dark room doing mostly 35mm) ... My wife wants me to make her a Bonsai Tree hemp plant. LMAO

That is some interesting work there. Some people do bonsai style to save space to be able to keep around for breeding. Theres a thread somewhere on here about it. Oh just noticed it is in my signature. Bonsai Sultan Method...

I have insomnia that is why I'm still up LOL The smoke I have is the wake up get yeah going, we are out of OG Kush. Their are a lot of strains I want to try. That is one area I lack knowledge in, I just have to try a few at time and figure it out. Just hearing/reading names just don't replace trying it. To put more in a perspective way... I akin my approach to growing like a wine and I'm learning to grow my specialty grapes. The only way to tell what grapes I want, is to taste them. :drool:

Buy some seeds man! I am sure there are strains you want to try. Do a little research into breeders, use seedfinder.eu, read reviews and figure out who you are willing to work with.
That is cool when you can open up someones eyes like that. :cheer:

I always do LTS You need to if you trim imo. Kinda like Trimming bushes. There is truth in keeping some fan leaves. They do help cool the plant and in an outdoor grow, you need that. They do hold nutes but, all of the leaves hold nutes. I have side leaves as big as fan leaves on some plants, and getting bigger. I train the lower branches as they get longer. It is the reason for the cages. I guess you might say it is a vertical scrog.

I have heard and seen people using tomato cages or cutting one where you just have the largest circle. My dad drilled holes in the buckets he used and is training using some string. I may do some minor LST this season with the lower branches just to kind of get a feel for it.

That is some interesting work there. Some people do bonsai style to save space to be able to keep around for breeding. Theres a thread somewhere on here about it. Oh just noticed it is in my signature. Bonsai Sultan Method...

Thank you, My next pipe will be a Lord of the Rings pipe. ;) Anyway, That is an interesting thread, I'll be checking that more closely later.

Buy some seeds man! I am sure there are strains you want to try. Do a little research into breeders, use seedfinder.eu, read reviews and figure out who you are willing to work with

Yeap I'll be doing that for sure. I want to make sure I can have stable grows and I want to get this hoop house first. I just can't justify spending money on good seeds for the outdoor grow... I want more control over my grow first. I got sticker shock today when buying the lumber. Checkout person said the prices are to go up tomorrow. :rolleyes: I got what I need to build the frameing now I hope to start on it this weekend, still have to prep the spot where it is going.

I use the tomato cage for both wind protection and training. I use soft wire and bend a hook on each end. I will hook to the bucket or cage and is reusable and quick adjusting. String works great and so do pipe cleaners. Whatever you feel will work best for you.

Thank you, My next pipe will be a Lord of the Rings pipe. ;) Anyway, That is an interesting thread, I'll be checking that more closely later.

That Lord of the Rings pipe could be super cool. Pics once you finish please.

Buy some seeds man! I am sure there are strains you want to try. Do a little research into breeders, use seedfinder.eu, read reviews and figure out who you are willing to work with

Yeap I'll be doing that for sure. I want to make sure I can have stable grows and I want to get this hoop house first. I just can't justify spending money on good seeds for the outdoor grow... I want more control over my grow first. I got sticker shock today when buying the lumber. Checkout person said the prices are to go up tomorrow. :rolleyes: I got what I need to build the frameing now I hope to start on it this weekend, still have to prep the spot where it is going.

Let me know which breeders you go with and which banks so I can look into them and see if I am willing to use them please.

More control over the grow makes sense especially if you are going with 100+$ per pack for seeds.

Yeah the lumber and steel prices are crazy lately, I forget what pushed them up. I think it's the housing market and people either not building or building.

I guess it depends how big the space is, when you start and how energetic you are as to if you'll get to framing as preping can be a tedious task.

I use the tomato cage for both wind protection and training. I use soft wire and bend a hook on each end. I will hook to the bucket or cage and is reusable and quick adjusting. String works great and so do pipe cleaners. Whatever you feel will work best for you.

I have twine but I hear it may damage the plant, so may get pipe cleaners or this soft wire you speak of. I am unsure if I will tie to pot or cage.

Back
Top Bottom