VictorVonDoom's 1st Grow - Converted Mini Fridge - Indoor/Soil 2013

Day 55 / 48 / 16 - Flower day 31

Easy now 420Mag,

Gave them some black treacle/molasses today at 3ml per 1.5 L. (As guided by KingJohnC, Respect)
And i used fish tank water.
I have also had a slight defoliation session, just to let light to the beautiful flowers.
And got rid of some small growths lower down.

My question for you all today is
When can you start to remove all the fan leaves to allow maximum light penetration or is it better to leave on as many as possible? What are peoples view's and reasons for this?

Now down to business

my molasses and fish water cocktail
DSC005686.JPG

In full effect
DSC005713.JPG

Rolling deep
DSC005708.JPG

Planet X (Akorn)
DSC005757.JPG

DSC005728.JPG

Shirley Jones (white widow x skunk #1)
DSC005779.JPG

DSC005738.JPG

Betty (suffering from me being silly and over watering, but other than that cool)
DSC005745.JPG

Back home
DSC005696.JPG

Hold tight

:Namaste:

while anything green can produce energy (like flowers and even stems), the most efficient part of the plant at creating energy are the fan leaves

Dont take off the Fan leaves. They hold stuff plants crave.
You wouldnt take your gas tank out to make your car lighter and faster would you?
:lot-o-toke:

Props and +reps Victor. Looking great!
:thumb:

Good way of putting it chap

Thank you

peace holmes

I see some growers in Aero or DWC get away with this, but in soil, my past experience leads me to side with everyone else. You could reposition leaves, bend them, super crop them, LST them, Even saw a YouTube vid where I guy removed some of the fingers from choice leaves. He called it Bonsai, but I think Bonsai is more applicable to what LA does. You have many options that involve leaving them on and doing what they do. My current understanding is that whatever budsites the plant has, all the fans will feed them. So IMO it would be wiser to remove sites that might not produce well rather than leaves that always produce for all the sites on the plant. I must add a disclaimer, I am a newb with only one other failed grow of 7 plants, and my current one plant that I just got into flower a couple 2 weeks ago. My opinions are constantly shifting as my knowledge grows, so before you start axing your sites, please confirm this from more experienced growers.

with a small plant I would not remove the fan leaves only trim them. I would trim any fan leaf that is shading a bud site. Defoliation is commonly done in flower at days 21-25 when the stretch phase has ended and again at day 45. When I defoliate in flower I remove the lower growth and any flan leaves that shade bud sites.

with a small plant I would not remove the fan leaves only trim them. I would trim any fan leaf that is shading a bud site. Defoliation is commonly done in flower at days 21-25 when the stretch phase has ended and again at day 45. When I defoliate in flower I remove the lower growth and any flan leaves that shade bud sites.

Thanks king john,

Thank you KingJohnC, as always very helpfull.

I dont know if you can see in the pics but I have been tipping the leaves that directly cover buds.

Its good to know your on the right path sometimes.

KingJohnC,
I just had a plant that hadd a huge fan leaf covering a lower bud. I actually didnt even know the bud was there until a week before chop! It was the exact size and density of the other bud's in the 'popcorn' area yet it never recieved direct light onto the actual bud. It was quite fasinating to look at, but I didnt think it relative enough to photo. I wish I would have just to show that the plants rediret energy even to buds recieving 0 light.

My question is, has anyone ever thought to see if any light can travel 'through' a leaf? Like PAR levels and whatnot. Because either that bud was recieving re-directed 'juice' from the plant, or it was getting the same amount of 'juice' thru the fan leaf. :hmmmm:

p.s. The fan leaf blocking it was not attached to the bud.

guys, plants have no problem moving energy/starch throughout their entire being. the fan leaves are the most efficient at creating starch, and they move that energy to the shoots/flowers via the phloem and xylem

"In vascular plants, phloem is the living tissue that carries organic nutrients (known as photosynthate), in particular, sucrose,[1] a sugar, to all parts of the plant where needed. In trees, the phloem is the innermost layer of the bark, hence the name, derived from the Greek word φλοιός (phloios) meaning "bark". The phloem is concerned mainly with the transport of soluble organic material made during photosynthesis. This is called translocation."

""Translocation is the movement of materials from leaves to other tissues throughout the plant. Plants produce carbohydrates (sugars) in their leaves by photosynthesis, but nonphotosynthetic parts of the plant also require carbohydrates and other organic and nonorganic materials. For this reason, nutrients are translocated from sources (regions of excess carbohydrates, primarily mature leaves) to sinks (regions where the carbohydrate is needed). Some important sinks are roots, flowers, fruits, stems, and developing leaves. Leaves are particularly interesting in this regard because they are sinks when they are young and become sources later, when they are about half grown." "

Back
Top Bottom