Young Plant - Leaves - help/recommendations please

Roachman

Hi there, below are some piks of a young plant (about a week old). Can someone tell me if its normal/OK for the leaves to have these brown tips? Or what it could mean/any remedies.

IMG-20120625-01180.jpg
IMG-20120625-01179.jpg

Thanks alot.

Hey Roachman, looks like you got classic nute burn. Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Hot soil means it has nutes in it that are to strong for plants that young. Flush it with plain ph'd water, use twice the size of their pot for amount of water. I mean to say; a one gallon pot gets two gallons of water run through it ect... That should wash away some nutes and allow it to recover and not burn the new growth. :peace:

Looks like you have osmocote nutrients with in your soil mix thats like time release nutrients based on temperature/moisture content etc

As other have suggested more likely nutrient burn, if it is osmocote nutrients in the soil its a tad to strong for such a small plant at that stage of growth.

Most people would use a sterile compost suitable for seedlings/cuttings for propagation of seeds / young plants and would feed a 1/4 strength nutrient solution for a couple of weeks intill plant is larger & more developed to handle the stronger nutrient feeds.

Thanks for the responses guys. After reading other articles i figured thats what it probably was. Iv flushed the soil (altho not with enough water i believe). Will give it a day for the soil to dry up then water excessively again. I suppose like any weed it'll recover...

They should come back for you no problem. Mine were toasted in a freak heat wave in April, and came back great just took a bit of time at first. This ones first leaves crumbled off when I touched them. After a week or so it started growing again.
IMAG013612.jpg

Here she is at 20 inches high and a cola 3 inches in diameter at 40 days flower tomorrow. And I hit them with a PH problem after that followed by N deficiency and then last week nute burn fixing the nitrogen issue. Resilient little plant thank god.
IMAG05165.jpg

It is fun problems and all! :peace:

Ahh, good stuff. Iv flushed one plant out twice now, both occasions with not quite twice the volume of the pot.. Shes growing alright, but still has some brown-spots... hoping its not too close to the light - Using one 105W CFL/plant - emits 6,500 Lummens. Homemade foil reflectors.
As is plant is roughly 6 inches from light - see pik. Is this too close? Back of hand heat test, can feel some heat but not anywhere close to burning.

Thanks guys
IMG-20120627-01183.jpg
IMG-20120627-01184.jpg

And distance from bulb recommendations for CFLs ? i saw some for HPS, and know CFLs are the coolest you get (other than LEDs) ?

hey now Roachman, You can put them 1 to 2 inches away but direct contact will burn leaves. Two things to keep in mind is that with the CFL that close the plant will stay very short with tight nodes, I found it best to give it at least 4"-5" to let them stretch a little but you can control how much. And dont forget you will need to move it more often being that close too. :peace:

Roachman,

How did things turn out after the flush? Any new developments or info to share? I'm dealing with similar..~3-week old seedlings, a couple look just like yours with the brown tips and seem to be mildly stunted, and on a couple others the brown tips have turned into pale and sickly lower leaves that are basically dead. On these- the newer leaves seem to be OK and growing, but at a pretty slow rate. I will flush them with the next watering and see if that helps.

What soil / mix are you using? Mine is MG potting soil cut with some MG seed starting mix and a little extra perlite. T5s about 6-8" away, ~50% rh, 75-85 degrees though it mostly hangs out between 78 and 80. Very careful to not overwater, I think I may have been over watering a tad for the first week or so (every 24-36 hours), I've been watering every 48 hours on the dot which seems to get them bone dry and is about 4 to 8 hours before the leaves start slumping over from being thirsty. Sorry for the hijack, sounds like we have the same issue. Hope you're doing better now!

Hi Roach, Hope ur girls starting to re-green herself! I think im just about to have a similar prob to you.. I noticed on my seedling that she's starting to get faint brown tinge to the leaf around tip edge.. I may have caught it in time i hope im just watering from now on, i used slight nutes bout 4 days ago, and some seaweed extract 2 days ago. So i think ill let the soil do its thing and just water as i have some slow release fert in it also. Hope you get some great plants:thumb: Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;)

Hi fellas,
Plants are doing well, infact the one that initially had the brown on the edges of the leaves seems to be thriving.. The brown is defiantly there to stay, not much you can do about it..May get a little worse on the leaves affected, however new growth should be nice and green.
Below are piks of the soil i used as well as the plant now. Id defiantly NOT recommend any form of nutrients till the plant is about a month old. However i guess that depends on your soil.. Soil im using advertises "Feeds plants for 6 months", so chances are it'll feed my plants for easily a month...I know its tempting, and you wanna make sure your plants have all the nutes they can get, but too much nutes can actually kill a plant - easily.
Also when i re-potted one of the plants (1 week ago), the plant was about the size of the smaller one in my piks bellow. The roots took up quite a bit of space in the small pots i was using.. so id recommend re-potting if your using starter pots when they have about 5 leaves or so.
RE Watering, I sorta play it by-air, if you have loose soil (not compacted, allowing for oxygen to get to the roots) the water will evaporate faster.. When the top soil turns to that light brown color when all the water's left it - doesn't mean the soil around the roots is dry tho.. Every-other day is probably a good bet - and when you do water, i'd lift the plant up and water till the soil in the drain holes just shows signs of wetness.

Im open to all other questions/comments!

IMG-20120707-01224.jpg
IMG-20120707-01225.jpg

Results of previous mentioned problem:
IMG-20120707-01228.jpg
IMG-20120707-01230.jpg

"Smaller plant" I was writing about above - Growth seems to be a bit stunted - gunna re-pot today:
IMG-20120707-01231.jpg

Just a suggestion for you... Foil even though it looks reflective to us, is really not that good of a reflector, you would actually get a better reflection of light if you put white posterboard in there instead... flat white is the best... or even 1 step better is get some of those reflective mylar emergency blankets that are really cheep, that will give you the best reflection of light overall...

Foil is like 70-80% reflective I think
Flat white is like 90%
Mylar is upwards of 98% reflectiveness...

The numbers might be slightly off (going off memory) but they should be in that ballpark :)

Hi Icemud,
You're absolutely right, numbers are slightly off but are in the right order. I actually put a large (somewhat shiny) poster board in front everything, however obviously removed it to take piks.. The reason i use foil is i like to spray my plants with a mist of water.. helps cool the leaves, and the grow area, as well as give the stem/leaves some extra weight so they came get accustom (maybe im just over thinking this, but i am an engineer). I originally had white poster board in the back, however the water was causing it to to turn into funny shapes and collapse..
Ive heard about mylar, but know little about it other than its great for reflecting light onto your plants... Where might i find some? (most hardware stores?) can it get wet? Cheap sounds good...where might i find those emergency mylar blankets?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just a suggestion for you... Foil even though it looks reflective to us, is really not that good of a reflector, you would actually get a better reflection of light if you put white posterboard in there instead... flat white is the best... or even 1 step better is get some of those reflective mylar emergency blankets that are really cheep, that will give you the best reflection of light overall...

Foil is like 70-80% reflective I think
Flat white is like 90%
Mylar is upwards of 98% reflectiveness...

The numbers might be slightly off (going off memory) but they should be in that ballpark :)

Agreed Ice.. I used foil before as it was i could get at that time, it did the job, but since getting Mylar damn, i dont need a mirror now anyway! And my plant gets lots more reflected light. Dont listen to anyone who says put a mirror in there, glass is different-absorbs light. Goodluk with your grow mate and hope all goes well:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom