Five Girls - One Cup

grimmreefer

I'm starting a journal for my "accidental" grow. Three of these were bagseed that popped up mysteriously one day in mid to late June. I got the itch to pop a few store bought seeds so I germed one Serious AK47, one Amherst sour D, and one 707 truthband both HSO. Everything lost its tag and only two made it so I'm in the dark as to what strains I have. The bagseed was from an oz. of Strawberry Cough straight from VT. All were female so I'm thinking it must have self pollinated.
20160821_083403.jpg

It's a little crowded but nice and green.
20160821_080230.jpg

The container was sitting outside full of weeds when I moved in to the place I'm staying. It seems ok, I have given them a little bit of dry ferts and tap water
20160821_080219.jpg

I haven't seen any pests, there is a little leaf damage here and there. Nothing to worry about.
20160821_075900.jpg

I realized about a week ago I had a motion sensored light turning on whenever the wind blew and I think it was preventing flowering. They should definitely be a little farther along, I don't know too much about any of the strains I'm growing other than the AK which possibly isn't even in the "cup"
20160821_081038.jpg

A little of this, a little of that.
20160821_082645.jpg

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible.
20160821_082711.jpg

I am getting ready to set back up indoors. I have a few seedlings and a plan. That's it. I have lost all my gear over the course of the last year or so. I was running multiple lights, multiple rooms and had a high plant count. I am going to downsize my grow but upgrade my gear.

:Namaste:

Here are the seedlings I have started. They are the same bagseed. I got about 20 seeds from an oz.
20160821_083040.jpg
I put them in some pre-mixed stuff I got at the hydro shop, I usually hydrate and mix my own coco but this seemed easier for now.
20160821_083028.jpg
Starting to yellow a little bit. Maybe time for a little all purpose.
20160821_083050.jpg

This is what they're in, I thought it would keep them going for a while but they definitely seem hungry. I haven't checked the ph of my water but that may be preventing some nutrient uptake.if they don't green up in a few days I'll break down and buy another meter.
20160821_085510.jpg
20160821_085538.jpg

They are outside for now but will be going in under a Mars 300 until I get set up a little better.

I have always run HPS in flower but I've decided to switch to full spectrum LED. I am building a panel that will run 12 cree 3590s, pulling about 480w from the wall.

I have ordered what I need and it will start trickling in soon enough. The cobs are coming from China and will take a while, I will get the heat sinks this week and can start building the frame.

For the record I have no experience with this, I have installed a few car stereos and set up a few grow rooms but have never dealt with LEDs.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night though.

Looking real healthy in that pot. Basement Mix is great stuff....still my favorite but had to switch because usual source had too many fungus gnats in its warehouse that gets into bags. Been using Santuary Empire Builder. Last you were around, I had the Serious AK's going...turned out pretty well but didn't like it as well as I'd expected. Good strain, just personal tastes I guess. Great to see you back around.

Hey all welcome.

Bright, I really like the looks of the Basement mix, a whole bunch of crap in there. It doesn't say how much of anything is in it but it can't be too hot or the seedlings probably wouldn't be yellowing already.
You did have the AK going but I missed out on the end.

Canna, welcome aboard. I have never grown more than one plant per container. The pot is probably 30 or so gallons and they seem to have enough room for now. They were started very late and never got too big.

This is the plan I have come up with for my new light. I am using all top of the line parts. I am probably going to spend about a grand but will have a badass light.

20160821_181055.jpg

I'm going to mount 4 cobs each to 6"×42" heaksinks. Three panels across for a total of 12 cobs running about 40w a piece. Each cob will get a 120° lens.

This thing is going to be heavy! Without actually having everything in front of me I'm figuring 60-65 lbs. I am probably going to remotely mount the drivers on a panel outside the room with separate dimmers and power switches so I can control each side of the light individually.

I was going to come out and chop all the lower stuff off because of the tight quarters but instead just pulled everything down a little bit to let some sunlight down into the middle of the pot.

20160823_183848.jpg

Another view, I can actually see dirt when I look down on it.
20160823_183901.jpg

We have flowers!! I am at least two weeks behind because of a pesky motion sensor that was on. I really think it prevented flowering with just the few times it would turn on every night.

I'm hoping the pot gods let these plants go until at least Halloween. The mold can be a killer in New England!
20160823_184915.jpg

Just today I noticed all of these little sprouts. I think they must be alfalfa from the fertilizer.
20160823_183808.jpg

The starts definitely looked hungry so I scraped in a little all purpose, a pinch of Azomite and a pinch of old coffee grounds. We'll see if they green up a little in the next few days.

Tonight will be there introduction to the Mars 300. I will put them under there for a few hours before I go to bed and back outside at midnight or so. I'm a little worried they're not going to like the switch too much. I know personally I like it much better outside.
20160823_183951.jpg

They're so cute when they're this age.
20160823_184001.jpg

Thank all for coming by!

Peace and love

Bam....blurple!

This was probably a little bit of a shock to them but it will only be for 3-4 hours. Eventually they will go inside full time but I'm in the process of setting up. I'm hoping within a month I'll have a flower room set up. In the meantime I have enough gear to veg them for a month or 6 weeks.

20160823_225333.jpg

Happy September all. Being a year rounder in a vacation town I always love when Sep comes around. It also means the outdoors are starting to flower.
20160901_073833.jpg

Lots of budsites. This is the tall one in the back, I cleared out some room for her.
20160901_073655.jpg

The buds are starting to stack up underneath. This is one of the smaller ones in the front. I still don't know which strains I have. There were two types of diesel, a skunk #1 and an AK so I'll probably never be able to tell the difference as they flower.
20160901_073616.jpg

It's really wierd, this one never started to flower.
20160901_073858.jpg

See ya hun. Her new name is Stumpy.
20160901_073903.jpg

She left alot of room for the girls that were performing better.
20160901_100846.jpg

I transplanted the starts. They'll stay in the 3 gal. for a while, probably for good.

20160831_161028.jpg
full time under the light now. I took a few clones from each plant outdoors in case I really like one and want to continue growing it. They are all flowering and will probably have a hard time rooting. I used dog saliva as a rooting gel. I figured it has some good antiseptic properties so it couldn't hurt.
20160901_074926.jpg

Happy in her new home. I topped them about a week ago and waited for a little new growth before re-potting. I mainly did it so early because I can't stand the terra-cotta pots.
20160901_074942.jpg

Rain day today, ahh... sweet drops of relaxation. the 2' Hitman will be within arms reach all day

:roorrip::roorrip::cough::cough:

Ya man, outdoors is tough around here. Definitely no time for a slow flowerer(??) Alot of crops come down early. I usually push it and end up chopping when it's a little too late.

The sprouts are under a little Mars the 140ish watt version.

I'm going to try and not run any HID. The diy is a work in progress. I've received the heat sinks and the c-channel, the electronics are coming from China and could take a month to get through customs.

I'm going to use 100w COBs run at about 50w a piece ×12

I'm using cree cxb 3590 3500k COBs

They will be driven by 200w drivers ×3

I'm using Meanwell 185-1400

Here's the frame it's 42"×36". It should cover a 4×4 or maybe a little more.
20160901_131753.jpg
20160901_131736.jpg

I have alot of drilling to do. Each cob needs between 2 and 4 holes drilled and tapped depending on which reflectors I use.

Edit..that's the donor of the "rooting gel" under the a.c.

Yours was one of the first ones I'd seen like this. It just makes sense to try and spread everything out a little.
These new full spectrum cobs seem to be the shit.
I wish I could just get started drilling but I want to wait for the lamps.

Mine are still working well for technology that's a few years old. I still keep open eye & read about a few newer brands. The large footprint allows growing directly underneath without concern about PAR & PPFD on the edges. Doing so gives me ~65w per sq. ft. Yes, COB seems to be the favored direction. I took a look at Amare, a sponsor so guess ok to mention by name. Saw Amare & BM journals using COB. Only negative I saw was plants a bit lanky. But I could benefit from that on some indicas that plain want to stay stumpy indoors.

I've been doing so much reading my head is spinning. I knew I wanted to make the switch to LED but didn't know anything about them. There are some really nice lights out there.

I had to pull the trigger on something and this seemed like the right choice.

It's a little bit of math, a little tinkering...done.
YEAH RIGHT!! don't be surprised to see this thing still not working in October.

I have seen videos of guys getting 2 gr/W with these things.

There's a storm a-brewin'.
20160905_082525.jpg
They're calling for 60 mph winds today so I figured I'd put the girls in this bondage device for the day.
20160905_082551.jpg
The starts seemed to take off after transplant. I gave them a good feeding and they seemed to like it. They are about three weeks from breaking ground.
20160905_082639.jpg
I saw some poop on the clones, I found this little worm all bleached from either the light or being in the humidity dome for three days. I put him out of his misery immediately after the picture was taken.
20160905_082809.jpg

Happy Labor day, I'm gonna hunker down and find a stupid show to binge watch all day.

:roorrip::cough::cough::nomo:

OK ready.

The seedlings are doing much better. I've been keeping them outside during the day and putting them under the Mars at night. I think the room I have them in sucks, there is no airflow. They were taking ~3 days to dry out where I have to water every day while they're outside.
20160910_084136.jpg
I topped this one again, the rest didn't grow two shoots after I pinched them last time so I was a little more aggressive this time.
20160910_084222.jpg
Bright, I think I may have brought in some knats with the basement mix. I only noticed a few but I know they'll multiply quick if I don't do something. They very well might be picking them up outdoors but as of right now it's still their best shot.

I got some creepy crawlies to eat the larvae.
Nematodes have definitely been the most successful offensive against the little fuckers in the past.
I'll leave a few yellow cards around to see how they're doing.
20160910_090004.jpg

The dog spit clones are looking like hell. There are no visible roots but I did give a couple a tug and it felt like there might be some roots starting.

The front row is off the heat mat and not drying out as fast as the others. None of them are starting to grow any roots. This tells me they do much better when they dry out more.
20160910_084826.jpg

The ones that are drying out are really starting to yellow. I know they usually do this right before I start to see roots.
20160910_084838.jpg

The big girls got another feeding. I'm really slacking on these girls but they seem to be doing fine.

I left out the all purpose but added bat shit, bone meal and alfalfa.
20160909_172645.jpg

I don't measure anything out, it's more bat turds and alfalfa than anything. About half as much bird dudu and bone meal with a pinch of Azomite.

It's probably a total of 2-3 cups when I'm done. I scratched it into the top 3 or so inches, right when it feels like I'm disturbing the roots I stop digging. I topped it off with another 2" of soil.

They also got the Nematode treatment. Judging by there growth there's a nice colony of bennies and I haven't seen any soil pests but I figured I had 30,000,000 of the things so it couldn't hurt.

20160909_173256.jpg

Hold on....:roorrip::cough::cough::roorrip::roorrip::cough::cough::cough::trance:

I'm glad I culled the slow flowering plant last week. Her space has filled in really quick, the smaller girls in the front have blown up without the big goon blocking out their sun.

20160910_084315.jpg

This one is starting to give off a strong pine scent. It's the smallest one on the right in the picture above. It looks very sativa dominant but it stayed very short. They were all started late but she didn't stretch out like the other ones. I'm gonna guess this is the ASD.

20160910_084248.jpg

This is the Strawberry Cough bagseed (probably hermie, originally grown hydro in VT) I love this time of year when you can see a difference every day in the bud development. This will probably be a 12-14" cola. I'm gonna yield alot more than I originally planned on back in June.

I left the stakes in that were holding the cage I used to protect them from the "hurricane" last weekend.i figured I'm gonna have to tie them up at some point and I don't want to disturb the roots more than I have to. I'm sure they are swirling all around the edge of the pot by now.
20160910_084407.jpg

Unda the neath.
I'm picking off any popcorn as it starts to grow underneath.
20160910_084509.jpg

I saw this thing in there, like a guard dog. It was about the size of a dime and eating another spider.
20160907_160510.jpg

Upskirt. There still seems to be plenty of light getting in.
20160910_084616.jpg

I can't wait for my outdoors to be done. I got a few oz's of this for a good price hoping it would last through the month. Must be hydro/synthetic grown. Rock hard and the ash looks like charcoal when the bowl is done.
Good buzz but not my taste.
20160910_093053.jpg

Where was I???

Oh yeah.......

20160910_090303.jpg

:Namaste:

AB thanks alot, they pretty much take care of themselves. The biggest thing I have to worry about is the weather. I have taken a big hit in the past due to mold.

Bright, I'm a little concerned about the nematodes. It was a 10 mil sponge which is way more than I have used in the past. I think the ones I got from the shop were 1 million.

My concern is that they were pasty and smelled a little like fish. They mixed into the water fine, there were very few knats to begin with.

I'm gonna look into the bug poop.

So the knats don't like it or does it kill them?

I went to the head shop for a $15 stem for my bong and walked out $300 lighter. I got a sweet Ash catcher for my tube and a new dab rig. So of course I need a new torch and a new grinder.

1473555869564594172367.jpg

I've never used a nail like this. It's a little quartz cup with a vent in the side. I just torch the bottom and drop in the wax. No dome.

14735558248791426316572.jpg

I don't know what's up with the pic. This is the first time I used the camera option in the gallery, I usually upload from my phone. Anyone who has some advice about that fell free to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom