1st Ever Grow, 8 Ball Kush

Hi Havoc,
typically two weeks before I think I'm about to harvest I give my plants a good reset of the medium. This means I push plain pH'd water until I get about 75% runoff, or roughly 3 gallons of runoff in a 5 gal pot. The last gallon of runoff has nutes in it again. I'm trying to push out any leftover salts that the plant couldn't use. It's not a flush. A flush is running a lot more water, usually 2-3 times the pot size.
Then I feed right up until harvest after the reset.

Here's a link to check out:
Cool thanks nice link. I'll use this method.

Pretty sure you want to be feeding all the way, seems most of the guru's do as there doesn't seem to be any proof it actually has any benefit to flush.
I think the quality of the smoke mostly comes from a proper cure.
Again probably personal preference but I know I'm going to feed till the end.
I'll probably feed up until the last week. Do medium reset, get some nice run off. What do you guys think about the 48-72 hours of darkness? I tried it on one of my old outside plants, didn't notice any crazy improvement but then again I was a major rookie so who knows. @MrSauga @Billpopy79

I'll probably feed up until the last week. Do medium reset, get some nice run off. What do you guys think about the 48-72 hours of darkness? I tried it on one of my old outside plants, didn't notice any crazy improvement but then again I was a major rookie so who knows. @MrSauga @Billpopy79
Certainly can't see a medium reset doing any harm.
I've no experience of the 48-72 hours of dark.
Reading up some seem to think it helps trich production and helps the plant finish up quicker.
Again I don't think there is any harm to be done doing it.
I think I'm going to try it with my least ready plant as I want to try and harvest all 3 together.
I'll let you know if it seems to make any difference.

Bloom day 53

Hope everyone is having a fabulous day.
I Watered tonight it's been 4 days since last watering so they have definitely slowed with their water intake.
0.5ml biogrow
4ml biobloom
1ml calmag
4ml topmax
pH 6.1

I thought they were a few days from harvest but looking at them today they might need longer.
I'm seeing a few amber but with better light I think I see a good few still clear.

I'm a little worried as I have to go away for 2 nights on the 27th so was hoping they would be done by then.
I will post some boring trich pics as some feedback as to how close they are would help.
IMG_20200121_202817.jpg
IMG_20200121_202715.jpg
IMG_20200121_202708.jpg
IMG_20200121_202653.jpg
IMG_20200121_202311.jpg
IMG_20200121_202309.jpg
IMG_20200121_202240.jpg
IMG_20200121_201031.jpg
IMG_20200121_201003.jpg
IMG_20200121_200930.jpg

What do you guys think about the 48-72 hours of darkness?
Dutchman1990 did a test with and without the darkness. There was no difference whatsoever. He was more upset he wasted two days before he could harvest.
I will post some boring trich pics as some feedback as to how close they are would help.
Never a boring trich pic :)

You're at least a week away. I'm seeing lots of clear along with those white pistils. Maybe the weekend. Sens some more pics up tomorrow or the next day and we'll look again.

Dutchman1990 did a test with and without the darkness. There was no difference whatsoever. He was more upset he wasted two days before he could harvest.

Never a boring trich pic :)

You're at least a week away. I'm seeing lots of clear along with those white pistils. Maybe the weekend. Sens some more pics up tomorrow or the next day and we'll look again.
Thanks MrS
When I saw the first few amber the other day I thought they were nearly done.
I agree looking under a better light there are still lots of clear.
I'll keep a check on them.
Thanks again for your advice :thumb:

Beautiful!

No salts, right? Chelation is different I gather :nerd-with-glasses: is that your reasoning?
Sort of... the salts are still there and you will see that on your fab pots. However most likely because they are chelated with amino acids the buildup is significantly less and when my plants are green right up until harvest resetting the medium would only wipe out what nutrients are there when the plant needs them the most.

MegaCrop has the same salt-based ingredients as other nutes (nitrates, phosphates, and sulfates), but like Felipe mentioned, they are chelated with amino acids rather than EDTA. For anyone looking for information on chelating or salt-based nutrients, @farside05 did a great write up on it here.

Try and check the calyxes as the trichs on the sugars will always show ambers first.
Maybe a silly question but are the calyxes the short stubbly type leaves on the buds?

Maybe a silly question but are the calyxes the short stubbly type leaves on the buds?
Not a silly question. The calxes are where the pistils are protruding from.

1579648025414.png

1579648127099.png

From RQS..

WHAT IS A CALYX
The calyx is the first part of the flower that is formed when a young plant enters its flowering stage, if it is indeed a plant that is capable of flowering of course. In a perfect spiraling Fibonacci sequence the plant quickly and in the most efficient way forms a protective platform comprising of small leaves, which are called the sepals. This protective platform for the flower in its entirity is called the calyx.

The calyx is designed to protect the plants reproductive organs in between the sepals and provide the flower with a base of stability. Even though all flowering male and female plants have calyxes, it is when looking at cannabis plants specifically, that only the calyxes of the female plants are of interest to the aspiring cannabis grower.

When cultivating cannabis, the objective is to harvest nice big colas of which the calyxes are a part. Not just any ordinary part, but the most important part, because the calyxes are where you find the reproductive organs of the plant, called the pistils, and the trichomes.

The pistils are where you see the long hairs coming from; these hairs are called stigmas. The stigmas will start out white when the plant is still in its early flowering stage, but will turn amber or yellow, and ultimately brown, as the plant progresses through its flowering stage. The trichomes are the resin glands where the cannabinoids are formed, including the psychoactive and more familiar THC.

Bloom day 55

Pistle production seems to have slowed to a halt and I have more turning orange.

I'm thinking the buds are about as big as they are going to get.
They are getting a real purpleness to them which I think could be my low lights off temps.
Trich check shows I still have a way to go still before harvest.

I have some very yellow fan leaves lower down, I possibly cut the nitrogen down a little too soon but I'm not too worried this late on.

I don't think I'll get the 150 gram harvest I was hoping for but going by the smell and the stickiness of the buds I think it will be some good quality smoke :blunt:
IMG_20200123_181252.jpg
IMG_20200123_181210.jpg
IMG_20200123_175517.jpg

IMG_20200123_183724.jpg

Bloom day 55

Pistle production seems to have slowed to a halt and I have more turning orange.

I'm thinking the buds are about as big as they are going to get.
They are getting a real purpleness to them which I think could be my low lights off temps.
Trich check shows I still have a way to go still before harvest.

I have some very yellow fan leaves lower down, I possibly cut the nitrogen down a little too soon but I'm not too worried this late on.

I don't think I'll get the 150 gram harvest I was hoping for but going by the smell and the stickiness of the buds I think it will be some good quality smoke :blunt:
IMG_20200123_181252.jpg
IMG_20200123_181210.jpg
IMG_20200123_175517.jpg

IMG_20200123_183724.jpg

Spectacular !

Love your photos, great camera

Back
Top Bottom