250W HPS Refrigerator Grow!

Lets get a photo of it. lets track it for a few days. Sometimes you get a dud seed. No point in wasting time on a runt.

Do you have another seed?

Are you doing anything different from the first grow at this point?

Cheers
I agree. I actually germinated and planted another seed a few centimeters away from the slow one, thinking what the hell. If that one also seems dud I have a critical seed we could try :)

No I'm doing the same as the first seed, temps are good, soil is moist and cosy for them.

I can see a super tiny development of the smallest set of leaves today but nothing dramatic. Also one leaf I think took a small damage from when the shell sat on for too long. See picture.
-----
Ye both off the big branches were lost :(
So got the grams from all the other smaller ones.
Cheers!
420-magazine-mobile656817217.jpg

I was thinkin' (A dangerous thing)

The mold that causes bud rot is called Botrytis.

The most common source of botrytis in the home is... yes that's right, you guessed it > The fridge.

We bring it home with our fruits and veggies all the time. So it stands to reason your fridge you grow in might be the first source of your infection.

I know the water drain pan at the bottom of my fridge gets pretty sick looking from time to time. And I can only imagine that mold spores have climbed up into the insulation between the plastic liner and the steel outer housing.

If I was you, I would take a day and soak it all in a 5 to 1 bleach solution for an hour or two. Flip your fridge over and go for the gold. Tear some of it apart if you have to. After an hour, rise till you cant smell bleach anymore. Once that's done, make a 5 to 1 mix of water and regular dish soap like sunlight or some such. Spray it liberally into the insulation and underside. Let it dry. The water evaporates leaving a film of soap on every thing. Its understood that mold cant grow on the soap film.

That's 1 part bleach to 5 parts water and 1 part soap to 5 parts water.

Food for thought - An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Cheers

I was thinkin' (A dangerous thing)

The mold that causes bud rot is called Botrytis.

The most common source of botrytis in the home is... yes that's right, you guessed it > The fridge.

We bring it home with our fruits and veggies all the time. So it stands to reason your fridge you grow in might be the first source of your infection.

I know the water drain pan at the bottom of my fridge gets pretty sick looking from time to time. And I can only imagine that mold spores have climbed up into the insulation between the plastic liner and the steel outer housing.

If I was you, I would take a day and soak it all in a 5 to 1 bleach solution for an hour or two. Flip your fridge over and go for the gold. Tear some of it apart if you have to. After an hour, rise till you cant smell bleach anymore. Once that's done, make a 5 to 1 mix of water and regular dish soap like sunlight or some such. Spray it liberally into the insulation and underside. Let it dry. The water evaporates leaving a film of soap on every thing. Its understood that mold cant grow on the soap film.

That's 1 part bleach to 5 parts water and 1 part soap to 5 parts water.

Food for thought - An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Cheers
Great thought, I actually did quite a proper cleaning of it before my first grow. Was soaking the whole fridge in bleach and then high pressure washed it with hot water in my garage. Too bad probably some spores survived. Or came from outside air and took a hold in there. Did some more cleaning with chlorine before this second grow. Maybe third time is the charm? Going with your advise and will scrub some more today before lights on :)
Cheers

I checked the lowest temp now because it's very humid today. It has been on 60% RH and about 19.6C with lights out in the morning.
So I'm thinking if I should try and go with a 24h lights on cycle this grow. I know plants do better under some time out but if it gets to cold in there one night I am fucked maybe haha.
Cheers

I checked the lowest temp now because it's very humid today. It has been on 60% RH and about 19.6C with lights out in the morning.
So I'm thinking if I should try and go with a 24h lights on cycle this grow. I know plants do better under some time out but if it gets to cold in there one night I am fucked maybe haha.
Cheers

I wouldn't. I would increase air circulation and add a touch of heat. I would look into buying a dehumidifier at some point if I was you.

Plants need darkness to complete the starch conversion cycle to grow efficiently.

"While the sun shines, plants perform photosynthesis. In this process, the plants convert sunlight, water and carbon dioxide into stored energy in the form of long chains of sugar, called starch. At night, the plants burn this stored starch to fuel continued growth. "

Cheers

I wouldn't. I would increase air circulation and add a touch of heat. I would look into buying a dehumidifier at some point if I was you.

Plants need darkness to complete the starch conversion cycle to grow efficiently.

"While the sun shines, plants perform photosynthesis. In this process, the plants convert sunlight, water and carbon dioxide into stored energy in the form of long chains of sugar, called starch. At night, the plants burn this stored starch to fuel continued growth. "

Cheers
Okay mate, hm I will see how I can solve this humid problem. Because I need to have the window open to get the heat out from the kitchen. If I have the window closed it's not going to get so humid in there.
Maybe have a closed window and put in a fan in the kitchen to spread out the heat to rest of the apartment?
Hm I will come up with something
Cheers

Okay guys I think we have a winner, the one on the right came up from the soil yesterday morning and is already way past in height than the first one. Going to see which one that develops faster but my bet is on the right new one!
Cheers
420-magazine-mobile984415208.jpg

Hey! Been busy enjoying vacation :)
Girl are doing quite good, a bit slow but she develops. She looked a bit pale a few days ago, so I started adding som nutes and the colour came back :)
Cheers
420-magazine-mobile695627771.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1627647546.jpg

Hi Islandish. Just finished reading your journal and am gutted for you that you got the dreaded bud rot. Sneaky Snids is quite right about ventilation/air movement. I grow inside in all sorts of conditions - hot, very hot, humid, dry and am well aware that botrytis can be present any time (despite my frequent attempts at keeping my area sterile it has got in on a few occasions).
Even though the spores may be present, it will not develop into bud rot unless there is inadequent air movement.
I keep a couple of small revolving fans blowing over and up thru the canopy. This plus the vent ensures adequate air movement and prevents bud rot.

Before I discovered this I used to get bud rot occasionally - a harvest a couple of years developed rot (10 days before chop date) on 2 of the 6 plants. I caught it early as there were only a couple of buds affected on each plant. I removed the affected plants very careful not to touch anything else, then cut the affected flowers from the plant also being careful not to touch any other part of the plant). I then combined 250ml 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon water and sprayed ALL plants thoroughly (really drenched both sides of leaves, surface of pot). I grow inorganic in coco so using H2O2 is not a problem for me (there are other solutions for organic I believe). After spraying I put a large fan on all the plants to dry and added the above-mentioned 2 fans into the tent. I repeated the H2O2/water spray every couple of days (3 applications in total before harvest) and inspected all buds daily for mould/rot under a strong white light (my LED is a true spectrum so I checked them right there).

Wishing you luck on your next grow :)

Hi Islandish. Just finished reading your journal and am gutted for you that you got the dreaded bud rot. Sneaky Snids is quite right about ventilation/air movement. I grow inside in all sorts of conditions - hot, very hot, humid, dry and am well aware that botrytis can be present any time (despite my frequent attempts at keeping my area sterile it has got in on a few occasions).
Even though the spores may be present, it will not develop into bud rot unless there is inadequent air movement.
I keep a couple of small revolving fans blowing over and up thru the canopy. This plus the vent ensures adequate air movement and prevents bud rot.

Before I discovered this I used to get bud rot occasionally - a harvest a couple of years developed rot (10 days before chop date) on 2 of the 6 plants. I caught it early as there were only a couple of buds affected on each plant. I removed the affected plants very careful not to touch anything else, then cut the affected flowers from the plant also being careful not to touch any other part of the plant). I then combined 250ml 3% H2O2 to 1 gallon water and sprayed ALL plants thoroughly (really drenched both sides of leaves, surface of pot). I grow inorganic in coco so using H2O2 is not a problem for me (there are other solutions for organic I believe). After spraying I put a large fan on all the plants to dry and added the above-mentioned 2 fans into the tent. I repeated the H2O2/water spray every couple of days (3 applications in total before harvest) and inspected all buds daily for mould/rot under a strong white light (my LED is a true spectrum so I checked them right there).

Wishing you luck on your next grow :)
Hi! Going to definitely get some H202 to spray on them :) Will not get the bud rot ever again.
Great tip!
Cheers

Hello! One week into flowering.
Someone know anything that raises ph up naturally that I can buy at the grovery store?
Going to start spraying her soon to prevent mold. Cheers
420-magazine-mobile1290249229.jpg

Hello! One week into flowering.
Someone know anything that raises ph up naturally that I can buy at the grovery store?
Going to start spraying her soon to prevent mold. Cheers
420-magazine-mobile1290249229.jpg

Raising the ph... as in your water/feedings right? I let my tap water sit out for 3-5 days and 'burp' or expel the chlorine... usually ph goes from a 7.1-7.3 from the tap to 8.2-8.4.
I don't know if this is good, but I've been using this to get me back down when I need it... my girls are pretty healthy I think...

I usually start with a half tsp and then stir wait about 5-10 check ph and add another or a quarter depending on the reaction I get from the first one...

420-magazine-mobile1488860884.jpg

But I'm a complete NEWB! lol!!

Raising the ph... as in your water/feedings right? I let my tap water sit out for 3-5 days and 'burp' or expel the chlorine... usually ph goes from a 7.1-7.3 from the tap to 8.2-8.4.
I don't know if this is good, but I've been using this to get me back down when I need it... my girls are pretty healthy I think...

I usually start with a half tsp and then stir wait about 5-10 check ph and add another or a quarter depending on the reaction I get from the first one...

420-magazine-mobile1488860884.jpg

But I'm a complete NEWB! lol!!

Or Baking Soda the other way... start with a 1/4 tsp to 3/4 gal of water...

Perfect mates! Thanks alot. Cheers.
Today we have a bit crappy weather, high humidity and low temp, so need to go home during breakfadt to close the window when it is time for lights out so the temp does not drop to much...

Back
Top Bottom