480W & 720W LED Grow - Land of Clovers

re: 480W & 720W Grow LED Hydro - Land Of Clovers

i have buds that are real fat on the very bottom branch and are 4.5' from the leds light.. to cover the area of a 1k HPS depends on what you want? .... you have to also remember that every led light/company is different and they will all perform different because of different led colors used. ...

hop that helps you decided a little better?

Good news on the Spectra reaching those buds that deep!

What I want to do is match the performance of a 1000W HPS in a 4x4' space doing SOG. So the decision is really how much pulled LED watts would I need to achieve this. I do agree with your point that there are other factors to consider such #of spectrums and perhaps lens angles as well.

Aren't all the Spectras 3W3 and NOT true 3W? I believe that is what I see in the dated and confusing product descriptions on the web site.

Good news on the Spectra reaching those buds that deep!

What I want to do is match the performance of a 1000W HPS in a 4x4' space doing SOG. So the decision is really how much pulled LED watts would I need to achieve this. I do agree with your point that there are other factors to consider such #of spectrums and perhaps lens angles as well.

Aren't all the Spectras 3W3 and NOT true 3W? I believe that is what I see in the dated and confusing product descriptions on the web site.

no led light drawls what they say. no 1w drawls 1w or 3w drawls 3w. hook that black dog to a meter and see what it drawls? i call BS have them hook it up to a meter and show you. the light wont last long being over powered at 3 full watts. dosent work that way.
last ive heard i thought they were 3w chips now? heres a post from GLH even saying what you read, this is his newer lights but not the newest ones that just came out even drawn allot stronger from what ive heard.

Hello everyone I see irish posted the new lights I sent him and your all probably wondering whats new with these so here you go.

Whats new:

2w single chip led's from Epistar and Cree

Higher quality cooling fans

Patented heat sink

More refined spectrum

Higher quality power supplies

Stronger hanger hooks

Eliminated the PCB board, LED's are directly on the heat sink for greater efficiency

Fail safe technology, if one led goes out only that LED stays out and can be easily replaced

Basically I just took my 2010 panels and researched over the past year on how can I improve them. I had to find a perfect mix of led's, wavelengths and power and at the same time keeping the heat levels either the same or lower than the current ones. I knew I wanted to get more intensity out of my lights but without having to use less led's at higher watts which in turn will raise the operating heat of my panels and take away the ratio of wavelengths. I had the option of going with the 3w/3 chip, 3w single chip, 2w 2 chip or 2w single chip and at the end the 2w led chips came out on top.

The 2w led's allowed me to get enough of the wavelengths I wanted in a panel at the right ratios and intensity with a 90 degree angle lens. The new led's are running closer to two full watts depending on the wavelength unlike my 3w 3 chip that was running at 1w to 1.5w per led because of led integrity issues.

The new models are as follows:

Spectra LED 150w
(100pcs 2w led) True Power 153.29W

Spectra LED 240w
(160pcs 2w led) True Power:239.66W

Spectra LED 395w
(252pcs 2w led) True Power:395.32W

I have a lot more detailed information coming out on these new panels once they get back from the light laboratory I sent them to which will be a few weeks. If theirs any questions please let me know and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability.

There is one piece of information i completely forgot to clarify regarding my new panels and the 2w chips, my panels use actually and truly use a mixture of 3w and 2w single ships.

2w chips are used in two of the 5 Blue wavelengths in the deep Blue spectrum and one Red wavelength out of the six in the far red.

The four remaining wavelengths in the blue are single 3w chips and the remaining five wavelengths in the red are single 3w chips and last but not least the soft white leds that use wavelengths geared towards flowering use single 3w chips.

Of course each individual led is not powered to the max, blue and white range at about 1.87w and reds in the 1.27w range. Some info I thought you guys should know.

as for what matches a 1000w hps you need to talk to Mike about that. i know for fact the claims of a 300w led matching a 1k hps is BS all day, you need to come close watt for watt no less then 600w in leds IMO. dont ever fall for those false claims that ever company made and ruin the leds market. it wont happen and i will bet on that.

That's great info, Irish.

I am already in touch with Mike and he says I can go with 2x280W or 1x450W for each 4x4' area and that should at least match the 1000W HPS with better quality. He estimates 8% better yield with the 2x280W option over the single 450W.

I just wish he would update his site with accurate details for his 2011 models, like you posted. The conflicting info doesn't help.

Anybody see a grow with BlackDog LEDs? They seem to be at the upper end of the market, at least in $$$. I wouldn't spend that much money without seeing a legit grow, though.

If you do SOG and lollipop to have single cola plants, I don't see the issue of having too many plants for a given space (within reason) for an LED. On a 4x4' table you can put 25-36 plants in RW cubes or small pots. Prune the bottom 1/3 W2 and again in W4 of flower.

Plants will end 24-36" with a 0-5day veg and the bottom 1/3 is gone, so you only need to "penetrate" 16-27" and the single cola plants will be barely touching each other.

The question in my mind is how much wattage of LED you would need to cover this as good as a 1000W HPS can. I would guess 500-600 true LED Watts could get pretty close.

Also, how much benefit would it be to go for a 3W panel over a 1W or 3W3, given that you need to penetrate max 30" of loose canopy? There is quite a difference in $$$ here.

i think i might try a sog next time, if i can get the moneyt to buy that many clones :) like irish said im not to worried with light penatration with GLH leds, they are great and buds on the bottom of all my platns were big. bigger than tops in the middle of grow, so they do get down there.

i have a 4x4 room. when i spoke with mike he said either 2x180w lights or a 600w light would be good, we didnt talk much of the 300w's.

i wouldnt waist my money on a 1w.
me and a buddy of mine grew wioth just one 1w light, very poor results, quality on the B-52 was ace but the yeild was poor. she was like 4 feet tall and we got about 11 grams of dry bud, lol. also there was a purps plant and a random plant, so 3 all together. quality was good on two plants but yeild was shit on all. also when thinkin of leds they dont put out what the wattage says, so 1w leds is not really 1 wattage and 3w leds are not 3w. i believe if remeber correctly 1w leds are actually 0.3 something. A 1w led cant take the power of a full 1w draw. u get me.

I am already in touch with Mike and he says I can go with 2x280W or 1x450W for each 4x4' area and that should at least match the 1000W HPS with better quality. He estimates 8% better yield with the 2x280W option over the single 450W.

Wow, that 450 will match a 1000??

Wow, Holy Cow, those buds look amazing. Made my mouth water. Very nice....

hey irish i recently got sum new clones...and instead of putting them into pots i started them in cups and there rocking so good and looking so healthy and they have only been in there a couple days and already root bound in the cup poking out the sides of the dirt all the way at the bottom.. so once the rooots are all sick in the cup i will transplant them... i def can see a difference from any other plant in my tent... there greener then any of them..

This is how I have always grown and I always had good results

Now al I need is some $ for some sweet LED goodness ;)

I just wish he would update his site with accurate details for his 2011 models, like you posted. The conflicting info doesn't help.

Anybody see a grow with BlackDog LEDs? They seem to be at the upper end of the market, at least in $$$. I wouldn't spend that much money without seeing a legit grow, though.

is that what Mike told you? thats crazy because Mikes always been agianst those claims, i never thought he would say that.lol. ive never seen a led match those claims before, but wouldnt think mike would make a claim like that unless he really thought it was true, from what ive heard these leds are going to be crazy bright, so if the claims are right then me with four 280w lights should be close to 2000w of hps? thats a bold stament. i will talk to mike and vafiy this to make sure their was no confusion. the only way to know is a true side x side.. and a close friend of mine has a 1k hps:)

his new web page should be up soon, he paid allot of money to make it very cool and lots of data, just taking time to get all the info and lab test. the info i posted isnt the new lights i think its the 1st 2011 ones but not the ones that just came out. supose to be allot brigher.

never seen a black dog grow they just came out. led cvonpany pop up every day hard to keep track.

i think i might try a sog next time, if i can get the moneyt to buy that many clones :) like irish said im not to worried with light penatration with GLH leds, they are great and buds on the bottom of all my platns were big. bigger than tops in the middle of grow, so they do get down there.

i have a 4x4 room. when i spoke with mike he said either 2x180w lights or a 600w light would be good, we didnt talk much of the 300w's.

i wouldnt waist my money on a 1w.
me and a buddy of mine grew wioth just one 1w light, very poor results, quality on the B-52 was ace but the yeild was poor. she was like 4 feet tall and we got about 11 grams of dry bud, lol. also there was a purps plant and a random plant, so 3 all together. quality was good on two plants but yeild was shit on all. also when thinkin of leds they dont put out what the wattage says, so 1w leds is not really 1 wattage and 3w leds are not 3w. i believe if remeber correctly 1w leds are actually 0.3 something. A 1w led cant take the power of a full 1w draw. u get me.
yup 1w leds are a big no no. the funnest thing is every company said that three single 1w leds were allot better then a single 3w leds, then once mike went the other rout and did the 3w leds and 12 wl every company jocked his n*ts and made their lights like that. i find that very funny:)
Wow, that 450 will match a 1000??
thats a crazy claim, i thought i would never see that day. if its true these lights are going to be hard to keep in stock. i know all my friends would drop G's on rooms with these lights to replace their HID and use more then 1/2 the watts. i have to ask mike if he really thanks this is true? mikes pretty straight up and isnt one to make crazy claims.
Wow, Holy Cow, those buds look amazing. Made my mouth water. Very nice....
:high-five:
This is how I have always grown and I always had good results

Now al I need is some $ for some sweet LED goodness ;)

leds and organics is a crazy mix bro. i swear i dont think my plants could get anymore frost on them, need to get a good camera.

Talked to Mike today and he said he never made suck claims, he told me he said that two 450's will match a 1K HPS. not one 450 or two 280's. just wanted to clear that up from what he just told me. didn't sound right to me because i know for a fact mike hates when company's make BS claims like they always do and at the end give leds a bad name..

today i was messing with my camera trying to get good close ups of the Jacks, what you guys think? looks like fire to me.lol
100_44811.JPG
100_44611.JPG
100_4495.JPG
100_4509.JPG
100_45121.JPG
100_4497.JPG

100_4472.JPG

Talked to Mike today and he said he never made suck claims, he told me he said that two 450's will match a 1K HPS. not one 450 or two 280's. just wanted to clear that up from what he just told me. didn't sound right to me because i know for a fact mike hates when company's make BS claims like they always do and at the end give leds a bad name..

damn 2 450's that alottta money.. but it would be worth the money you would save.. but if they draw 450w each then its the same as have a 1000w but draws less amps im sure right? thanks for clearing that up.. didnt really sound right to me either..

any way you thought that Blue Widow Cutting was badass check out these og cuttings i took last night...

DSCF9434.JPG

DSCF9435.JPG

both with three tops... yeeeee... thats the way i like um.. by the time im done with them and there ready to flower they will have 6-9 main tops.. sheeeeesh
jack looks fire as hell too might i add.. how many days is she into bloom
:high-five:

Hey medicine21,

Either your trying to pull one on me or you misread my e-mail to you and if thats the case I deeply apologize for any offense you might take to this post. I will post my e-mail correspondence medicine21 with so he and everyone else doing research on led's where I stand with my products and knows what I really said in the e-mail replies. I think everyone on the threads and those who have talked to me personally know I would never make such false claims.

Here's medicine21 sent me:

I have been reading some good things about your lights in the grow forums as well as your quick support.

I am looking to replace 4x1000W covering TWO 4x8' tables, basically an 8x8' area. This is an SOG grow, where single cola plants are 24-40".

Which of your lights would give me same or better results as 4x1000W in this space? I understand that there are some benefits with LED interlacing, so I am not against going with more less powerful lights, if you would so recommend.

Thank you for your support. I look forward to doing business with you.

Here is what i replied back with:

Thank you for writing and taking a interest in my Spectra LED grow lights. In regards to your questions:

"We can go with four of my spectra 280w panels per 4x8 tray or depending if you want to use less wattage I would recommend using two of my Spectra 450w panels per 4x8 tray either way you go you will at the very lest match your hps with yield and in my opinion beat it with quality but myself and my customers are seeing a 20% to 30% increase in yield watt for watt with the led vs hps/mh and the quality is always better with my led's. The difference between the 4x280w panels and 2x450w panels is going to be about 8% in overall yield because of the coverage of the 4x280w but i assure you if you got a green thumb and you know what your doing and familiar with the plant strains you grow you will beat the hps either way.

Let me know what you think and if you think this will work for you and ill work out a price for you. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Michael
GrowLEDhydro.com"

Then he replies medicine21:

Hi Michael,

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

I'll be honest with you, I am torn between your Spectras and the 357Mag lights. The 357Mag guys tell me that I would need 3x357Mag to cover each of my two 4x8' trays. Actual draw is 180-190W of these lights and I am told that 3 of them will match or outperform my 2x1000W.

My main concerns are not so much LED light price, as the WATTAGE drawn to at least MATCH (and replace) my 2x1000W on each tray. So, I have 3 options to cover two 4x8 trays:

1. 8x280 Spectra = 2240W drawn
2. 4x450 Spectra = 1800W drawn
3. 6x190 357Mag = 1140W drawn

The other difference I see between Spectras and 357Mag is that your lights use 3w3 (1w diodes?) and the Mags use 3w diodes, thus perhaps giving me better coverage/penetration with the Mags. They also can plug directly into to my 240V/40amp board that I am using for my HPS. I am not sure I can do that with the Spectras...

So if I'm to trust the claims, I can cover my tables with half the wattage if I go with Option 3.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this and how your products compare to the 357Mags.

Thanks again for your time, Michael.

And then i reply:

Thank you for writing back let me get straight to your questions.

1. I guarantee you that 570w will not replace two 1000w HPS lamps, as a matter of fact it wont even come close.

2. My Spectra LED 2011 models use single 3w led's. I can guarantee you that the magnum lights do not use true 3w chips.

3. I can also guarantee you they do not use a true 11 wavelengths. My new 2011 Spectra LED grow lights use a True Spectrum™ 12 wavelengths.

4. I offer a 120 day money back guarantee and five year warranty, do they? no.

5. My panels are custom made to my specifications and use Fail Safe Technology™ which allows all the led's to keep working if one goes out, theirs do not.

6. My panels use wide voltage technology and can be used from 60v to 280v.

7. I can easily set you up a system to use less wattage but dont expect to get the results your getting with the two 1000w hps lamps. Its just not going to happen and thats the truth.

T, You asked me to compare my Spectra LED panels to theirs but in my opinion their is no comparison. I can go on and on about why my panels will destroy magnum led grow lights but its up to you to decide and believe the hype. Its because of companies like this that have given led's a bad name with their false claims.

If theirs anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Thank you,

Michael
GrowLEDhydro.com

Now you bring up Blackdog LED's:

1. your right there are no documented grows.

2. 1 year warranty, 60 day return policy? That shows a lot of confidence in their products.

3. Im sorry but on the planet I live in there is only ONE visible light spectrum. So that would make me think someone claiming to use '15 spectrum's' might not actually now about what their selling.

4. I see they state they use 2.52w per LED. in my opinion I do not believe this to be true but lets entertain the thought for a minute. Do you know what kind of heat issues you would be dealing with if that was the case? Not to mention the LED's might last you a couple years, if that.

5. They say they use IR and UF, if that was true there would be led's on there panels that would not be lit because true IR and UV wavelengths are not visible to the human eye.

6. Blackdog claims right of there website:

'The BD450 is our most popular light and is the perfect light to replace any 1000w setup. It contains 200 High Power 3w LEDs and pulls over 400 actual watts.'

NEED I SAY MORE. No I dont think so.

Their are a few other discrepancies but i will just stick with the facts.

I am not here to bash blackdog its there business they can do what they want and if anyone wants to by their panels I hope they work well for you.

But if someone really wants to compare in my opinion their is no comparison. Ive said it before and ill say it again:

MY PANELS ARE UNMATCHED AND UNCHALLENGED.

And if any of the companies reading think otherwise, put your money were your mouth is, we can easily set up a side by side.

Its tough enough selling led grow lights because of all the lying and marketing gimmicks, i use none, only the truth and thats the way it will always be.

If it seems I put you on blast im sorry that was not my intention. This post was not really only meant for you but those others who email me everyday still living in lala land and wishing for the impossible and believing in ludicrous claims 98% if LED grow light companies still make. Come on people use your head ask the right questions when researching different manufacturers, you will see I wont be beat.

Sorry if anyone was offended, i just really need to everyone to know where I stand and that I do not want my name associated with those group of companies and their BS.

Hey medicine21,

Either your trying to pull one on me or you misread my e-mail to you and if thats the case I deeply apologize for any offense you might take to this post. I will post my e-mail correspondence medicine21 with so he and everyone else doing research on led's where I stand with my products and knows what I really said in the e-mail replies. I think everyone on the threads and those who have talked to me personally know I would never make such false claims.

Here's medicine21 sent me:

I have been reading some good things about your lights in the grow forums as well as your quick support.

I am looking to replace 4x1000W covering TWO 4x8' tables, basically an 8x8' area. This is an SOG grow, where single cola plants are 24-40".

Which of your lights would give me same or better results as 4x1000W in this space? I understand that there are some benefits with LED interlacing, so I am not against going with more less powerful lights, if you would so recommend.

Thank you for your support. I look forward to doing business with you.

Here is what i replied back with:

Thank you for writing and taking a interest in my Spectra LED grow lights. In regards to your questions:

"We can go with four of my spectra 280w panels per 4x8 tray or depending if you want to use less wattage I would recommend using two of my Spectra 450w panels per 4x8 tray either way you go you will at the very lest match your hps with yield and in my opinion beat it with quality but myself and my customers are seeing a 20% to 30% increase in yield watt for watt with the led vs hps/mh and the quality is always better with my led's. The difference between the 4x280w panels and 2x450w panels is going to be about 8% in overall yield because of the coverage of the 4x280w but i assure you if you got a green thumb and you know what your doing and familiar with the plant strains you grow you will beat the hps either way.

Let me know what you think and if you think this will work for you and ill work out a price for you. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Michael
GrowLEDhydro.com"

Then he replies medicine21:

Hi Michael,

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

I'll be honest with you, I am torn between your Spectras and the 357Mag lights. The 357Mag guys tell me that I would need 3x357Mag to cover each of my two 4x8' trays. Actual draw is 180-190W of these lights and I am told that 3 of them will match or outperform my 2x1000W.

My main concerns are not so much LED light price, as the WATTAGE drawn to at least MATCH (and replace) my 2x1000W on each tray. So, I have 3 options to cover two 4x8 trays:

1. 8x280 Spectra = 2240W drawn
2. 4x450 Spectra = 1800W drawn
3. 6x190 357Mag = 1140W drawn

The other difference I see between Spectras and 357Mag is that your lights use 3w3 (1w diodes?) and the Mags use 3w diodes, thus perhaps giving me better coverage/penetration with the Mags. They also can plug directly into to my 240V/40amp board that I am using for my HPS. I am not sure I can do that with the Spectras...

So if I'm to trust the claims, I can cover my tables with half the wattage if I go with Option 3.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this and how your products compare to the 357Mags.

Thanks again for your time, Michael.

And then i reply:

Thank you for writing back let me get straight to your questions.

1. I guarantee you that 570w will not replace two 1000w HPS lamps, as a matter of fact it wont even come close.

2. My Spectra LED 2011 models use single 3w led's. I can guarantee you that the magnum lights do not use true 3w chips.

3. I can also guarantee you they do not use a true 11 wavelengths. My new 2011 Spectra LED grow lights use a True Spectrum 12 wavelengths.

4. I offer a 120 day money back guarantee and five year warranty, do they? no.

5. My panels are custom made to my specifications and use Fail Safe Technology which allows all the led's to keep working if one goes out, theirs do not.

6. My panels use wide voltage technology and can be used from 60v to 280v.

7. I can easily set you up a system to use less wattage but dont expect to get the results your getting with the two 1000w hps lamps. Its just not going to happen and thats the truth.

T, You asked me to compare my Spectra LED panels to theirs but in my opinion their is no comparison. I can go on and on about why my panels will destroy magnum led grow lights but its up to you to decide and believe the hype. Its because of companies like this that have given led's a bad name with their false claims.

If theirs anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Thank you,

Michael
GrowLEDhydro.com

Now you bring up Blackdog LED's:

1. your right there are no documented grows.

2. 1 year warranty, 60 day return policy? That shows a lot of confidence in their products.

3. Im sorry but on the planet I live in there is only ONE visible light spectrum. So that would make me think someone claiming to use '15 spectrum's' might not actually now about what their selling.

4. I see they state they use 2.52w per LED. in my opinion I do not believe this to be true but lets entertain the thought for a minute. Do you know what kind of heat issues you would be dealing with if that was the case? Not to mention the LED's might last you a couple years, if that.

5. They say they use IR and UF, if that was true there would be led's on there panels that would not be lit because true IR and UV wavelengths are not visible to the human eye.

6. Blackdog claims right of there website:

'The BD450 is our most popular light and is the perfect light to replace any 1000w setup. It contains 200 High Power 3w LEDs and pulls over 400 actual watts.'

NEED I SAY MORE. No I dont think so.

Their are a few other discrepancies but i will just stick with the facts.

I am not here to bash blackdog its there business they can do what they want and if anyone wants to by their panels I hope they work well for you.

But if someone really wants to compare in my opinion their is no comparison. Ive said it before and ill say it again:

MY PANELS ARE UNMATCHED AND UNCHALLENGED.

And if any of the companies reading think otherwise, put your money were your mouth is, we can easily set up a side by side.

Its tough enough selling led grow lights because of all the lying and marketing gimmicks, i use none, only the truth and thats the way it will always be.

If it seems I put you on blast im sorry that was not my intention. This post was not really only meant for you but those others who email me everyday still living in lala land and wishing for the impossible and believing in ludicrous claims 98% if LED grow light companies still make. Come on people use your head ask the right questions when researching different manufacturers, you will see I wont be beat.

Sorry if anyone was offended, i just really need to everyone to know where I stand and that I do not want my name associated with those group of companies and their BS.

Hey GHL I'm a fan of the grows done with your lights but not of your prices(I'm just starting and paying that much for professional level equipment seems silly when my ineptitude is very likely to to cause failure.)

What you just said was pretty much What med21 said he just simplified(possibly over simplified) he currently has 4 lights and you stated that 8 280led lights would take the place of his 4 so he rounded down that 2 280's would replace 1 1kwatt or that 4 450's would take the place of his current light set so he rounded 1 for one. But I think when you gave those estimations you were speaking of core light saturation so those set ups may not work for other people.

Splendid Irish, just splendid.

Your ways are true to how marijuana should be grown indoors, a little more dirt in the equation and your rocking exactly what I want in future setups.
(Have you experimented with adding soil to coco?)

Just sold my Nikon D5000 I should of hit you up. Have you tried turning the sharpness up to max with a picture edit program? I did that the other night on an old picture and it really makes Any and Every crystal shine off the picture. Ill post a pic if you wanna see what I mean...:peace:

Smoketahchoke and others with doubts. Look at my grow I got the 2010 model Spectra 300's never grown before. Nor am I associated with GrowLEDHydro or Mike in any way.

Since there are so many crazy claims by all these new manufactures, unless someone shows a grow of what their lights can do I would not believe them or give them my money.

I lurked here for 2 months reading and reading before joining then buying my lights. I'm getting close to being done with my first grow with 3 strains

wow sh!t can really go down on these threads.

IRISH looks great man i wanna chop thoose nugs and throw them in a bowl of milk and eat them, so frosty and delicious lookin. well done! now i get confused wiht ur grow, are these ur using XG product? NO TEA? great job so ar anyway!!

OUTDOORSMAN: might not be exactly what ur talkin about, but most clones i got came in coco and i have planted them into soil pots. prob not totaly what ur thinking but they are growing lovely!

high irish--i mostly lurk here but a huge fan of yours and several others here-i'm doing something kinda crazy on 420 this year and am sorry to be jacking your thread to get attention on it but i hope you'll understand since everyone reads your thread heres the scoop it's not really organized or anything just a hair brained idea i need some help with getting enough people to show up for

i would like to get alot of peeps together in dc on 420 to protest for the legalization of pot---an in your face,thousands of people strong, loud but peacefull protest for the legalization of cannabis--
i myself have an extended van and a friend wth 1 also we both have them filled with others for the trip and would love if many thousands more showed up to help make a scene- so even if you cant make it please spread the word and hopefully you may tell some1 who'll show
maybe some folks would get folks together to protest in your own states capital on 420 also? if that would happen in several states at the same time as in dc it would be absolutely stupendous!!!

Back
Top Bottom