480W & 720W LED Grow - Land of Clovers

re: 480W & 720W Grow LED Hydro - Land Of Clovers

Yea I like the look on frosty buds, Hey i just tried to PM you but I need 50 posts..
Im in the market to upgrade my penetrator pro for the new spectras, I just emailed Mike but was wondering what kinda of 420 mag discount you can hook up with all this business your generating?

I hate using tripods, that's why I've only used one a couple times in years.

The key to hand-held photography is bracing.

If you learn how to brace yourself, you hardly ever need a tripod with a camera that does image-stabilization well.

Even at 12x standing 15 feet away, I can take sharp pics if I stop breathing and brace myself well. You can still see your pulse in the LCD ;)

I use whatever is at hand. If you lean against a wall, that works, or use a shelf, box, whatever is around that you can rest your hand and camera on.

Even for close-up macro shots, I usually brace my hand/camera on the table, hold my breath, and take the pic. I also use the timer feature that delays the shot for 3 seconds, so that I don't have to press the trigger, which makes the camera shake.

hi all--those pics look good to me,and im think with playing around with em on ur computer you could get to see the actual tric colors--awesome plants-got a cloneing question--i was looking into trying to grow a contest winning size pumkin this year and came across an interesting cloneing method-i was wandering if anyone has heard of or possibly tried this before--copied and pasted it from the bigpumpkins website--if nothing else it's interesting to read.on their website it has a picture of this before and after at the bottom of the page.
How to Clone Pumpkins off the Main Vine by Marc Sawtelle
How to Clone Pumpkins off the Main Vine by Marc Sawtelle

TECHNIQUES AND METHODS:
Successful cloning off the main vines is as simple as burying the vine in some soil, then waiting 7-10 days to cut the new plant from the main plant. Many growers bury vines during the season to give their plant an added root system which anchors and feeds the main plant. To make pumpkin clones indoors {or out}, the same basic principal is applied. Once the original pumpkin begins growing over the container and has a vine long enough which can be placed in another pot, all the grower must do is provide that vine a rooting medium for the plant to do what is natural for it; sprout roots. Bury the entire vine 1/2 inch below the soils surface in the new pot. This is soon to be a new plant, of the same origin as the original plant. Place a heating pad below the pot the clone is in, and keep head on low or medium. The clone pot should be well watered, but not overly saturated. It is helpful to use vitamin B-1, Superthrive plant hormones, and Shultz 2-7-7{with micronutrients} Cactus Plus. Using similar fertilizers will work as well. Both the host pot and clone pot should then be put underneath a shop light which is kept on 24 hours a day. Check the clone plant after a couple days, and keep the soil moist in that pot. The host pot needs little to no water during this period. By stressing the host plant this way, the clone becomes less dependent on the roots at the base of the host plant, and is encouraged to sprout it's own roots. After 7-10 days if you have given the new vine what it need to grow, the host plat can be cut away. Cut the old vine away from the clone as close to the soil as possible. Larger leaves which were buried earlier should be cut at this time. This will allow the new plant to not have to care for so many leaves initially, and allow the plant to root without stressing. You now have a cloned pumpkin plant which has the same genetic makeup as the host plant it was cut from! This process can be done again and again and again.

BENEFITS OF CLONING
The uses of pumpkin cloning are simple. One can keep a good genetic plant alive for a new season and not worry about seeds. Also, if the grower has a short growing season, cloning can help get a jump on the season by allowing flowers to develop earlier than normal. This is because a newly spouted seed takes time to start flowering, and a clone is already producing them at the base of the plant.

POSSIBLE LONG TERM USES BY CLONING
Imagine if the Checkon's plant was cloned! Since the plant produced only 34 seeds, having a clone off of that pumpkin plant would have allowed them to cross it this season and have more seeds from this wonder! Growers also may wish to keep a clone through the winter which they liked as a possible pollinator for the next season. Cloning just may be the next way to reach a 2,000 pound pumpkin.

---

11/05/2000

Waited until now, to finally post this, so I would have enough time to really write a detailed, and informative message for growers serious about genetics.

It may appear as I am a not a serious or experienced grower, as my personal best was a 432 here in Colorado Springs this year, while Joe Scherber and Kevin Holman both destroy the old Colorado state records exceeding the 800 pound mark {also this year}. I have been growing for 9 years now, growing just average genetic seeds. Last year I was lucky to have met Joe Scherber and see some 600 pound pumpkins. WOW! I was in disbelief that Colorado supported conditions favorable enough to grow them so large. He explained it just takes finding good genetic seeds if my growing techniques were not the problem. He suggested I try to request as many seeds from larger pumpkins, and hang on to some until I found seed proven to grow the large ones. I did just that, and I did have a good stock of good genetics going into this season.

The season was lost in mid May though. In spring we have mites which find cold frame pumpkin plants as good hosts. I usually just use the "safe spray" stuff they sell for houseplants, which has always done the job, until this season. Someone in my family dumped 1/2 of a bottle of Liquid Seven into an empty "safe spray" bottle, and you can guess the rest! It took until mid July to get things going again, and I knew I would have yet another sub par year. I used the rest of the year experimenting with my own breeding program. I usually grow 2 plants in 880 square feet with one pumpkin per plant, but instead I grew 7 pumpkins on 3 plants. Two of the three plants seem like they could have really done a lot more, if not for the "accident", which prevented me from having plenty of leafs and rooted vines when the first and second week of July came. I pollinated females with similar genetic backgrounds or traits, and 3 of the 7 pumpkins may be great crosses. I will find out how well my match making is next year, when other growers test them out. I, though, will finally be testing out my theory!

SO WHAT IS THE CLARION GENETIC AND CLONING THEORY?
Well, since you know some of my background now, I can cut the bull and get right down to it. My theory is simple...

Cloning can help produce superior genetic pumpkins quicker than using the cross breeding methods we all use now.
Cloning could save a great strain of ANY pumpkin which grew a 4 digit pound fruit and enable someone to try all kinds of different male or female cross breeding combinations with that plant.
Cloning original plants can save a strain that might have just had a bad growing season, like the kind of season the upper East coast areas had. I know there had to be a few growers saying " I think I really had a great plant going...but I'll never know what it would have done since we had such poor growing conditions!"

Cloning is nothing new to the horticulture world, as some make it seem. This is not any "Dolly the sheep" cloning stuff...just simple plant propagation techniques and an open mind to try them on a plant which requires a lot of care in between the growing seasons. I experimented all of last winter trying various cloning methods and techniques, and seen 2 other growers raise them without any different results than if it was a seed started plant.

One of the best advantages I noticed over a seed started plant is that once it gets rooted outside and gets some larger "outdoor" leafs, a clone has plenty of male flowers, and even some females to "practice" or "experiment" on as early as the first week in June. By the time the golden zone to pollinate rolls around, there are plenty of females and males to pollinate! No need to put all your hopes on just a couple of fruits, not when there may be 10-15 getting ready to bloom on a plant which can have many "main stems" if the grower so desires.

If you hate using tripods, they have little beanbags that work pretty well. The real close macro low light pictures are where you are going to have an issue with hand held and a blurry picture. When I hand hold my camera which is really heavy I tuck my elbows in brace myself best I can and take lots of pictures. The more you take the more chance you will get a good one. Just a thought.

If you learn how to brace yourself, you hardly ever need a tripod with a camera that does image-stabilization well.

Even at 12x standing 15 feet away, I can take sharp pics if I stop breathing and brace myself well. You can still see your pulse in the LCD ;)

I use whatever is at hand. If you lean against a wall, that works, or use a shelf, box, whatever is around that you can rest your hand and camera on.

Even for close-up macro shots, I usually brace my hand/camera on the table, hold my breath, and take the pic. I also use the timer feature that delays the shot for 3 seconds, so that I don't have to press the trigger, which makes the camera shake.

Hey I really hate to use your thread to try to get my questions answered, but this seems to be the place where the people who own these lights are posting...I plan on getting 4X290 panels from GLH (mike is a standup guy, from what I can tell in my brief dealings with him!) and plan on putting 2 each in some sunhuts, approx 36x54, in a room thats always kept in the mid 70's.
My question is, will a TD-100x (max cfm 135 I think) with an airsock attached be able to keep the heat under control? How hot do these lights get? The tent does have 7' ceilings, that may help a little I think...

Hey I really hate to use your thread to try to get my questions answered, but this seems to be the place where the people who own these lights are posting...I plan on getting 4X290 panels from GLH (mike is a standup guy, from what I can tell in my brief dealings with him!) and plan on putting 2 each in some sunhuts, approx 36x54, in a room thats always kept in the mid 70's.
My question is, will a TD-100x (max cfm 135 I think) with an airsock attached be able to keep the heat under control? How hot do these lights get? The tent does have 7' ceilings, that may help a little I think...

I have a 190cfm fan/filter in my 2.5ft x 2.5ft x 6ft tent with a 395w Spectra And my temps above the light get about 8 degrees over ambient/room the tent is in, while more than 10 inches away from the Light stays room temp.

Those light will definitely put out heat (a lot less watt for watt than HID), and that fan sounds like it is not strong enough for tents of those size and the filters they will need.

*Before when I only had a 130cfm fan my whole tent was 12 degrees above room temp

MrRobbyRob said:

The lights put off hardly anybsignificant heat. I have 2 395w units in my 32" x 54" tent and with an ambient temp of 60F in my basement, the two lights heat the inside of the tent and hold it (with one upper vent open) at just about 75F.

well I appreciate the prompt responses... I think I will play it safe and up the fan a bit. This is going to be my first real grow (other than a couple autos unfer flouro's in the closet) and going in to summer, I don't want any issues!

i need to use military sniper skill when i take my pics, relax breath and follow threw with the shot. ill have to try that just not laying on my floor.lol
hi all--those pics look good to me,and im think with playing around with em on ur computer you could get to see the actual tric colors--awesome plants-got a cloneing question--i was looking into trying to grow a contest winning size pumkin this year and came across an interesting cloneing method-i was wandering if anyone has heard of or possibly tried this before--copied and pasted it from the bigpumpkins website--if nothing else it's interesting to read.on their website it has a picture of this

i am no help when it come to that stuff. maybe someone els can help on this? its a good read though
If you hate using tripods, they have little beanbags that work pretty well. The real close macro low light pictures are where you are going to have an issue with hand held and a blurry picture. When I hand hold my camera which is really heavy I tuck my elbows in brace myself best I can and take lots of pictures. The more you take the more chance you will get a good one. Just a thought.
amen, more pics the better odds.
no worries bro, i have no idea with the new lights? ive been told they run cooler then the ones i have.
the key to the exhaust fans is having one that will move x2 the CFM the air in the size cubic feet of ur tent. so at-least 2x the air exhausting out, also venting out of the grow room is best to get things cooler so you are not just blowing hot sir back into ur tent for the air. fresh cool air as a intake is also key lots of fresh CO2 will help big time in high temps and just in general.

yeah irish i didnt really saywhen i posted that earlier but was wandering if someone had used it on our med plants, i'm thinking some1who has a hard time getting clones to take and root maybe in clone heaven going this way.

Irish - Last ? before I begin setting everything up. (background info first) I am growing in a 4X4 tent that is about 6'8" tall. The absolute max height of my plants can be about 4' at harvest but i'd rather keep it at about 3 1/2'. I plan on LST'ing and if necessary cropping although i'd rather stay away from it. Now onto the questions. This is a three parter so my apologies.

First ?: Does LED make the plants pretty leggy (tall) because of all the red spectrum lighting it receives?

Second ?: With LED's how tall should I start flowering in order to reach my desired height?

Third ?: What has been the most efficient distance you have found with LED's? (I think I remember reading it on here somewhere i'm so new and can't even find the search function yet sorry!

Thanks again for being so helpful. Oh yeah I sent Michael an email mentioning you but he hasn't got back to me yet i'll let you know when he does.

Hey everyone.. I have a 240w panel that problemchild is sending back its the first gen 2011 I came out with, he tried replacing a 1000 MH for veg but I told him it wouldn't work. I am not sure how long he used it for but im sure it was under 2 months. If anyone's interested in it let me know.

Contact me at sales@growLEDhydro.com

Hey Irish - Just wanted to say thumbs-up on the Jack Herer - she looks amazing. I'm really hoping to grow this strain soon. Is it as good as everyone says, or is this the first you've grown it? Anyway - nice growing and beautiful plants! :welldone:

Hey everyone.. I have a 240w panel that problemchild is sending back its the first gen 2011 I came out with, he tried replacing a 1000 MH for veg but I told him it wouldn't work. I am not sure how long he used it for but im sure it was under 2 months. If anyone's interested in it let me know.

Sent you an email - I may be interested. Dying to try LED! :)

actually not even two months... if need i can dig up when i got it and let you know how many hours its been run.. but for sure hasnt been used longer then 4 weeks MAX at 18/6 light cycle ...

yeah irish i didnt really saywhen i posted that earlier but was wandering if someone had used it on our med plants, i'm thinking some1who has a hard time getting clones to take and root maybe in clone heaven going this way.
hope someone chimes in. ive never cloned or anything but will learn soon once i get a mom,
Irish - Last ? before I begin setting everything up. (background info first) I am growing in a 4X4 tent that is about 6'8" tall. The absolute max height of my plants can be about 4' at harvest but i'd rather keep it at about 3 1/2'. I plan on LST'ing and if necessary cropping although i'd rather stay away from it. Now onto the questions. This is a three parter so my apologies.

First ?: Does LED make the plants pretty leggy (tall) because of all the red spectrum lighting it receives?

Second ?: With LED's how tall should I start flowering in order to reach my desired height?

Third ?: What has been the most efficient distance you have found with LED's? (I think I remember reading it on here somewhere i'm so new and can't even find the search function yet sorry!

Thanks again for being so helpful. Oh yeah I sent Michael an email mentioning you but he hasn't got back to me yet i'll let you know when he does.
those are questions i cant really answer, 1st i have only tried the older models and have no clue about the new ones since ive never used. but my old ones dont make them leggy at all unless i am in crazy hot temps witch is normal, but these leds are known for compact plants. their are a few growers using the newer lights and their girls seem to be compact and not leggy.

as far as when to flower i cant say it all depends on the strain and growing temps nutes ect.. ive had some plants stretch only 6" and some 2'. i usually flower around 12-15".. you can always use Bush master to stunt the growth. Google it.

once again ive never used the new lights and their said to be stronger then the ones i have but my 300's seem to be happy around 15" in heavy flowering, ive noticed this is also a strain dependent and you just have to look at ur plants for BLEACHING ON THE TOPS OF THE BUDS.

keep me posted when you here back from him, you will get a discount just not sure how much?
Irishboy, u the man:goodjob:
No you are!:Rasta:

A 240w to replace a 1k MH? wow i did know that i would have given him a heads up that it wouldn't happen, very cool of you to give him his money back, no one els would do that. very good customer service bro.
Hey Irish - Just wanted to say thumbs-up on the Jack Herer - she looks amazing. I'm really hoping to grow this strain soon. Is it as good as everyone says, or is this the first you've grown it? Anyway - nice growing and beautiful plants! :welldone:
its probably better then they say if grown right, its a true legend. ive grown it before and have friends that only grow this strain, ive smoked it a ton of times nd it as great strain, and you will never have weed that smell like it that ive came a cross.

actually not even two months... if need i can dig up when i got it and let you know how many hours its been run.. but for sure hasnt been used longer then 4 weeks MAX at 18/6 light cycle ...
ya that light was fresh from what i remember? ive never knew or thought you were comparing it to a 1k MH i would have given a heads up on that if i knew.

Hey guys I'm keeping my 395w 2011 Spectra 10inches above tip of top colas and I'm starting to see a problem. I think it must either be a P deficiency but I'm not sure if its from lockout or me not feeding enough. I feel that I've been adding enough tsp of my Earth Juice nutes, but maybe not. Theres also the ph Up i've been adding and I suspect thats the culprit if this indeed a case of nute lock.

Do you guys think the plants are extra hungry as people say these Spectras can make them, or did I lockout something with pH up and need to flush the soil?

PS: i've only ever been watering enough to get spoonful or less of run off

PSS: The yellowing started about 10 days ago but it wasnt the turning yellow starting at the tips from lack of N? most yellowing is, it was kinda just turning yellow instead of green, slowly, evenly fading towards the outer perimeter of the fan leaves). It started getting worse and worse about 4 days ago.

PSS: I even considered maybe the plant was jsut killing off the bits that weren't getting enough light, but it seems that some of those suffering this problem should have been getting enough light

S7301924.JPG
S7301922.JPG
S7301921.JPG

You can see some of the leaves are starting to fade from the center outwards

Back
Top Bottom