Boocoo's Ghetto Grow

A special thanx to you, flexy. A little inspiration when I need it the most from someone who has felt my pain. Thank you, sir!!!

Thank you very much, glimmergrass. Hopefully I'll get these girls turned around & on the mend. If not, I can build on my mistakes, pop another couple of seeds & go again. Looks like you've got a good start on your grow. I'm sure we'll both have a lot of learning opportunities on our journeys. Good luck & thanx for stopping by.

A little lazy about posting an update. I was out of town Thursday & Friday & when I got back late fri nite I found my effort to dry the waterlogged gals had gone to the extreme. I failed to carry my iPad down to the workshop & was just to tired & sleepy to fetch it so no pix but #2's leaves were curled under so far they were actually touching. The pots were definitely much lighter in weight. The top layer of coco had turned a dusty light brown & I could feel no moisture as far as I dared to probe. Instead of the leaves being limp & floppy they were now a bit stiff, almost brittle feeling. Over half of one of #2'a leaves had turned brown. That nite, I gave all 3 a little drink of water & we all joined in a short prayer that we would make it through the night. The next morning I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement. #2's leaves were back to green once again & had actually sprouted noticeable new growth. The leaves are still a bit droopy but much better than the previous nite. I'm not sure what the droop is all about now but I'm sure it's not from too much water. They're obviously still I little sad so I am, also. I'm a little unsure about a new watering regimen. Right now they're getting a couple of ounces of water twice a day. The coco container is not yet saturated because I'm not getting any runoff. I'm planning on feeding tonite & tomorrow with 10% nutes & if they tolerate that step it back up to 25% starting tues for a few days.

These pix were taken yesterday morning. For day 14, there's not much to brag about other than they're still alive ����!!

image31453.jpg

image31454.jpg

#3 the runt
image31455.jpg

They don't look like they suffered too much being all nice and green like that.

Small waterings are OK for tiny plants like that but they send a tap root down a lot deeper than they are tall so a thorough watering should be in their near future.

L8r

A thorough watering of very small pots/cups isn't a problem since you cannot really "overwater" small pots. In my exp. the small pots dry out so fast as that mold or rot cannot even appear. (At least here with my grow). The over-watering problem and being careful there really only applies to big pots where the soil can actually stay moist for several days. So I agree with OldMedUser, give them a thorough watering when you water them. If you see that your pot is dry again the next day (or the following) then you should be good. Also..It MAY be better instead of twice per day watering, watering them really good only once...just make sure the pot/soil gets dry between waterings so the roots can breathe/have air for a while.

* Whether the size for them being 2 weeks old is right I cannot say. I mean you see how it was with mine, they sat like that for an eternity when I started. But now when I germinate some, they grow extremely fast. There might be something holding yours back...too high temps...water..I don't know. I wish I could tell what it was in my case which made them grow but I simply don't know what exactly it was. Do you have a fan in your box? (This is one of the things we did, among other things).

Thanx OMU & Flexy. Will give a deep watering today. Have a couple of fans, one at each side, as per OMU's suggestion last week. Thanx to you both for the help. Plants were looking even better late last night. Seems like a little more growth each time I check on them. Exciting times!

As of 8/31 I've been watering to slight waste every other day with 250 ppm nutes. It generally takes 200-250 ml to saturate the coco/perlite. At three weeks old they're still far from trophy plants but the growth over the last 3 days has amazed me. The leaves are persisting on drooping a bit but don't have the the heavy, flaccid look & feel they had when I was trying to drown them. I noticed once this past week a couple of leaves were slightly folding laterally. I'm thinking the droopiness is probably due to heat stress. Temps are consistently in high 80's.

My greatest challenge thus far has been my endeavor to control my propensity to love my ladies to death. It's been too much water, too many nutes, too much light creating too much heat. The resiliency of these little plants have been amazing as they've been quite forgiving of my bumbling as I learn.

Proper watering in coco/perlite has been a bit of a battle, also. Methods are as polarized & varied as opinions of a politician. Growers are using a vast array of watering methods successfully which makes it somewhat confusing for a rookie to adopt the "right way" for me. One thing I have learned is the fact that coco mixture will hold moisture for an amazing length of time. I think if I had of initially charged the 1qt container with ph'ed water, it would have probably supported the seedling for 8-10 days with no interference from me & then start my every other day regimen with light nutes it would have been much smoother sailing.

Sent from my iPad

I think the droop after watering is normal. I watered mine yesterday and all of them drooped immediately big time, takes them 3 or so hours and they are fine again. As for nutes, yeah I know it's really difficult to abstain from feeding them etc....but with tiny seedlings I would be careful with nutes. You want them to develop roots and not make it too easy for them :) Then I cant say anything about growing in Coco....

One thing I have learned is the fact that coco mixture will hold moisture for an amazing length of time. I think if I had of initially charged the 1qt container with ph'ed water, it would have probably supported the seedling for 8-10 days with no interference from me & then start my every other day regimen with light nutes it would have been much smoother sailing.

Oh boy, do I hear you. I'm amazed at how long the coco holds water. I have to fight not to overwater the kids -- as you say, I just want to love them to death :)

Yeah, glimmergrass, it appears we're following a similar learning curve with our coco grows. I keep sneaking a peek to see what I can pick up. Looking good.

After 7 weeks, several emails, live chats & a couple of tense phone conversations, I finally got all my supplies last week (thanx one more time Mr. Bezo) & was able to prepare a forever home for my girls. The new containers are some diy rag bags with a capacity of 2.6 gal., a little smaller than I'd like to have but it's what I had available. Do better next go around. When I broke open the 1 qt containers I found only one showing significant root formation next to the container walls & they had only reached down about half the depth of the container. I think there must have been fairly good internal root formation since the coco coir held its shape well & felt fairly tight. Probably transplanted a bit prematurely; would have been fine for another week. One had some algae growth on some perlite pellets resting next to the container walls. I'll have to remember to wrap it with foil if I use them for my next grow.

Today is week 3 & the size is a little disappointing but with the problems I inflicted I'm not complaining. With the growth I've seen the last few days I'm hoping they're about or make up for some bad times.
image31935.jpg

image31932.jpg

image31931.jpg

image31930.jpg

Sorry for my negligence in updates. No excuses to justify my absence; just lazy. Finally got my watering regimen to a state that made the girls happy. I've now set up an automated watering system using a small pump & timer. Each plant has three drip heads fed by a 1/4" tube. My reservoir is a plastic bin that will hold about 15 gal although I only add 5 gal at a time. Shortly after week three they began showing pistols so I did a plain water flush & I switched to floranova bloom. I first ran 7 liters @ 300 ppm through the reservoir, upped it to 600 ppm for the next 7 liters & then mixed 5 gals @ 900 ppm. For the past two weeks they are watered 3 times a day for 2 minutes each session. This gives me slight runoff & they seem to be happy. They seem very tolerant of the heavy feedings.

These pix were taken on day 39
image33750.jpg

image33751.jpg

image33752.jpg

The next day I left town & will be gone for 4-6 wks; nervously relying on my auto pilot system & a relative to look in a couple of times a week. Unfortunately, an emergency in her company required her to be out of town for a couple of days & her first visit was almost a week later. The tallest plant had grown up into the lights & a few of the leaves suffered some burns but all else was fine. The auto pilot seemed to be doing fine.

This photo she sent was on day 45.
image33753.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty pleased considering my rookie mistakes & I'm now beginning to be cautiously optimistic that I may reap a little smoke in a few weeks. Exciting times!!

Thanx, fellows. My caretaker said I obviously bought my seeds from from the traveling seed salesman on "Second Hand Lions"!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Thanx, Colorado high. I'm afraid I'm guilty of creating a pretty uninteresting grow journal but, yes, it is still going. I was absent for 4 weeks but it appeared my caretaker was able to handle everything with a couple of visits each week. The three plants vastly over grew my homemade grow box measuring 46wX16dX48h.

Sat was week 12 of what was supposed to be a 9 week harvest schedule; a bit of over optimism on the part of the breeders methinx. I was amazed at the investation of trichomes even covering a lot of large fan leaves & stems. As of sat I was still unable to identify any Amber trichs but mostly 50% cloudy using my jewelers loupe. A couple of the plants are showing some heavy yellowing of a few fan leaves. With my very limited expertise I feel it would be proper to let them go another 2-3 weeks but my schedule is going to require a bit of an early harvest. I did a heavy flush sat & they're on straight water diet until I hack them down next sun, which will be 13 weeks. Hope this doesn't effect the potency too much. While I plan rolling a few fatties my primary goal is to create some nice edibles with the majority of it. I'll post some current pix this evening along with changes I'm planning for my next grow, which I started about a week ago.

Back
Top Bottom