KanaGirl's Living Coco & GeoFlora Grow

Welcome @Trala - glad to have you along for the ride! :ciao:

#girlpower :headbanger:
We have to stick together. The menfolk outnumber us 15:1 I think :)

They are all top blokes tho, but they just don’t get the emotional struggle of having to endure a bad hair day or the importance of wearing gloves while gardening.

:circle-of-love::circle-of-love::circle-of-love:

Veg - day 31

Not much to report today, the girls were dry so they got a full watering today (3 day wet/dry cycle). I've been adding in a little low stress training, mostly just to open up the plants a bit, and give the lower branches a chance to rise up to the the top of the canopy before flip in just 8 days. These ladies are strong though, and usually break their soft-tie bonds by the end of the day :p

My ARC still has a bit of interveinal chlorosis. It's on the older, large fan leaves, and it's just this one plant - so I'm not too worried. I think it's a cal/mag deficiency, possibly due to the early lockout from PH being too high.

What do you guys think??

244716754_3072341862999706_2509890313994849135_n.jpg
244860624_410527883781406_5065283627770766389_n (1).jpg
245034199_2936826506630530_6811164259545513902_n.jpg

Some Mg def for sure - possibly a bit of minor K def. Unless you’re seeing some brown damage/necrosis in upper, newer growth, I would not add CalMag - just Epsom - perhaps 0.5 to 1g/gal.
:surf:
I did add some cal/mag in their water today - I didn't have any epsom on hand. I will buy some next time I'm at the drugstore. Coco always has cal/mag issues, and I normally supplement from the beginning, but I wanted to see if I could do without as I added a mineral kit to the substrate prior to transplant. I think this Alien Rock Candy genetic might just be a heavier feeder than the other genetics. Thanks so much for your input @FelipeBlu ;)

Veg - day 31

Not much to report today, the girls were dry so they got a full watering today (3 day wet/dry cycle). I've been adding in a little low stress training, mostly just to open up the plants a bit, and give the lower branches a chance to rise up to the the top of the canopy before flip in just 8 days. These ladies are strong though, and usually break their soft-tie bonds by the end of the day :p

My ARC still has a bit of interveinal chlorosis. It's on the older, large fan leaves, and it's just this one plant - so I'm not too worried. I think it's a cal/mag deficiency, possibly due to the early lockout from PH being too high.

What do you guys think??

244716754_3072341862999706_2509890313994849135_n.jpg
244860624_410527883781406_5065283627770766389_n (1).jpg
245034199_2936826506630530_6811164259545513902_n.jpg
I’m terrible with advice, I’m more your cheer “you go gurrrrrrl” squad and alibi if you need one type girlfriend. But I do know a few legends who might be able to help.

@Carcass @013 @HashGirl @Emilya @bluter @Buds Buddy

For you —> :cheer::cheer::cheer:

I’m terrible with advice, I’m more your cheer “you go gurrrrrrl” squad and alibi if you need one type girlfriend. But I do know a few legends who might be able to help.

@Carcass @013 @HashGirl @Emilya @bluter @Buds Buddy

actually for geoflora @Virgin Ground , @Emilya , and @MrSauga are the three that i'd go to.
they've all worked with it successfully and have all encountered and fixed issues.

there's top dressing and other stuff with geo that takes time to assess whether you got the right fix as well.

from a quick look i'd say yeah there's a cal/mag ask, and there's something happening along what i'm guessing is phos. if the darker leaves with the cal/mag ask are a bit leathery you'll know.

they mostly don't look too bad. won't be hard to get there. nice plants.

Veg - day 35

Well... I feel like I'm starting to chase deficiencies with the @GeoFlora Nutrients in Coco :confused:

The past 4 days I'm noticing all of the plants are starting to show yellow upper growth, interveinal chlorosis, and leathery leaves. Some of the lowest leaves have also gone completely yellow. There are also yellow tips on all the plants, but mostly near the top of the canopy, so that could be due to some light stress, although I backed lights down to about 33k throughout the tent and also raised them.

I have been supplementing with boogie brew teas every other watering to try and correct these deficiencies, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Today the girls needed another watering, so I decided to do a full reset on these plants. I flushed with ph 6.0 water. After flush, I watered with boogie brew (6.0 ph). I'm still 5 days until a top dressing with the Geoflora nutes.

I am nearing my planned flip, but will hold off if necessary to make sure these girls are healthy going into the transition.

@bluter you mentioned a possible phosphorus def. which would show leathery leaves. Well those have continued to show up around the garden. What are your recommendations for correcting this deficiency (organic only).

@GeoFlora Nutrients any ideas what is going on??

245001660_426425765514187_47565298885921549_n.jpg

244906866_414617076940844_8425980473538409947_n.jpg

245448373_170383735247121_488112848099220398_n.jpg

245595147_1488225874874092_3416535414416955965_n.jpg

Oh blow :(

Thankfully you’re in the right place for the best advice, but sadly it won’t be from me coz I got no clue. Lollllll

But here is a:- you go girllllllll, with some help from bluter, you got this :cheer::cheer::cheer:

I'm sorry, but I am not seeing the deficiency. A few spots on a few leaves could be from all sorts of causes... but you would think that a deficiency of a major macro nutrient would be seen a bit more prominently than this. Towards the end of a 2 week feeding cycle I do see complaints sometimes from my large hungry plants (its always the large ones) a couple of days before feeding day. After feeding that tends to go away and even at the times when I really pushed it to the brink, I might lose a leaf or two, showing symptoms of phosphorus or potassium deficiency for a moment before the reinforcements came in with the next feeding. I have never seen one of these problems progress up the trunk though... and when the symptoms do present themselves, the plant tends to prune off leaves that are in the way, anyway, when it starts sensing the end of the nutrients is coming. After feeding, everything always greens up proper again and all is well.

After reading further discussions regarding @GeoFlora Nutrients and this matter, I am convinced that when I see these signs of deficiencies start happening, the plant is telling me that I need to feed a little more, or a little sooner, than what is recommended. Some plants are just hungrier than others.

Veg - day 35

Well... I feel like I'm starting to chase deficiencies with the @GeoFlora Nutrients in Coco :confused:

The past 4 days I'm noticing all of the plants are starting to show yellow upper growth, interveinal chlorosis, and leathery leaves. Some of the lowest leaves have also gone completely yellow. There are also yellow tips on all the plants, but mostly near the top of the canopy, so that could be due to some light stress, although I backed lights down to about 33k throughout the tent and also raised them.

I have been supplementing with boogie brew teas every other watering to try and correct these deficiencies, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Today the girls needed another watering, so I decided to do a full reset on these plants. I flushed with ph 6.0 water. After flush, I watered with boogie brew (6.0 ph). I'm still 5 days until a top dressing with the Geoflora nutes.

I am nearing my planned flip, but will hold off if necessary to make sure these girls are healthy going into the transition.

@bluter you mentioned a possible phosphorus def. which would show leathery leaves. Well those have continued to show up around the garden. What are your recommendations for correcting this deficiency (organic only).

@GeoFlora Nutrients any ideas what is going on??

245001660_426425765514187_47565298885921549_n.jpg

244906866_414617076940844_8425980473538409947_n.jpg

245448373_170383735247121_488112848099220398_n.jpg

245595147_1488225874874092_3416535414416955965_n.jpg
Hello @KanaGirl

Looks to me like a minor Cal/Mag deficiency, which is common in unbuffered coco grow media. Apply a calmag supplement and you should see some improvement!

Also, it looks like your plant may be a heavy feeder. If that's the case, feel free to add a little more Geoflora either at your regular application time or a small amount in between regular applications. Some plants just need more nutes, and you can't really overdose on Geoflora, so don't be afraid to add more if they need it!

Hello @KanaGirl

Looks to me like a minor Cal/Mag deficiency, which is common in unbuffered coco grow media. Apply a calmag supplement and you should see some improvement!

Also, it looks like your plant may be a heavy feeder. If that's the case, feel free to add a little more Geoflora either at your regular application time or a small amount in between regular applications. Some plants just need more nutes, and you can't really overdose on Geoflora, so don't be afraid to add more if they need it!

I have been supplementing with cal/mag both drench and foliar, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I will continue to supplement!

I will also add some additional Geoflora on their next watering. Thanks for taking a peek ;)

I'm sorry, but I am not seeing the deficiency. A few spots on a few leaves could be from all sorts of causes... but you would think that a deficiency of a major macro nutrient would be seen a bit more prominently than this. Towards the end of a 2 week feeding cycle I do see complaints sometimes from my large hungry plants (its always the large ones) a couple of days before feeding day. After feeding that tends to go away and even at the times when I really pushed it to the brink, I might lose a leaf or two, showing symptoms of phosphorus or potassium deficiency for a moment before the reinforcements came in with the next feeding. I have never seen one of these problems progress up the trunk though... and when the symptoms do present themselves, the plant tends to prune off leaves that are in the way, anyway, when it starts sensing the end of the nutrients is coming. After feeding, everything always greens up proper again and all is well.

After reading further discussions regarding @GeoFlora Nutrients and this matter, I am convinced that when I see these signs of deficiencies start happening, the plant is telling me that I need to feed a little more, or a little sooner, than what is recommended. Some plants are just hungrier than others.

Thanks so much for your advice @Emilya, it is very much appreciated! There are deficiencies showing, but they might be hard to see in the photos with my lights on full blast - LOL! Mainly looks like a magnesium deficiency to me, which I've seen and dealt with my fair share using coco. However, the leathery leaves are new to me. I do think the yellow new growth is mainly on just a couple of the plants, and those do seem to be feeding heavier.

I was reluctant to add more Geoflora, as Friday is their top dressing. However, I guess they are telling me they need more nitrogen, so I will feed them early this week, on their next watering.

Do you agree that the yellow tips are probably just due to some light stress? I didn't think there is any way I could be getting nute burn with the Geoflora.
Thanks again for stopping by to take a look :circle-of-love:

Every organic grow I have ever done has given me those itsy bitsy yellow tips. I went to an AG professor for an understanding of this, because in an organic grow, it should not be possible to overfeed to the point that you get this classic indication of an overage... or in regular parlance, a burning.

So I asked, why is this happening, when the plant itself is in control of this process? The answer is that the same mechanism within the plant that sends out the signal to the microbes that it has had enough and to back off on the nutrients a bit, is the same one that reacts very negatively when you overfeed. The yellow tippy tips are the indicators that the plant has had enough, and that everything is fine and at the same time it is sending exudates down through the roots giving this same message to the microbes and fungi. Note that the yellow tippy tip is not necrotic... tis just yellow, taking away its ability to photosynthesise. Think of it as an electric eye on a light switch. When the plant gets hungry, it goes green again. There is so much we don't know.

Every organic grow I have ever done has given me those itsy bitsy yellow tips. I went to an AG professor for an understanding of this, because in an organic grow, it should not be possible to overfeed to the point that you get this classic indication of an overage... or in regular parlance, a burning.

So I asked, why is this happening, when the plant itself is in control of this process? The answer is that the same mechanism within the plant that sends out the signal to the microbes that it has had enough and to back off on the nutrients a bit, is the same one that reacts very negatively when you overfeed. The yellow tippy tips are the indicators that the plant has had enough, and that everything is fine and at the same time it is sending exudates down through the roots giving this same message to the microbes and fungi. Note that the yellow tippy tip is not necrotic... tis just yellow, taking away its ability to photosynthesise. Think of it as an electric eye on a light switch. When the plant gets hungry, it goes green again. There is so much we don't know.
WOW!! This is such AMAZING info. I was under that same impression regarding overfeeding in an organic grow.
This makes so much sense, and I'm excited to watch for this "communication" from the plants!
:thanks:

i see a few dark patches which i take to be indicative of a phos ask. it's not huge, and in this system is an indiactor of a heavier feeder. you could probably feed them a bit more.

Transition to Bloom - day 2

Well, here we are, day 2 after flip. These girls continue to struggle with deficiencies, and I now have better photos to show the interveinal chlorosis they are dealing with. It is not as bad on 2 of the plants, but they all show this deficiency to some degree.

I am beginning to believe that the @GeoFlora Nutrients do not work well in a mainly coco medium. Even with the added mineral kit and EWC, I have struggled throughout veg with deficiencies. I also have been adding cal/mag every other watering with no effect. I have also tried supplementing with Boogie Brew teas and Grower's Recharge (1x per week) - which seems to help a bit, but not completely fix the deficiencies.

I have done this same exact style grow with Dr. Earth dry amendments in coco, water when dry, and did not encounter these deficiencies in veg. I did however, struggle all thru flower, which is making me worry about this next phase with the Geoflora Bloom nutes.

The plants are still growing well, but their leaves are telling me they are not 100% happy. They are going thru about 1.5 gallons of water every 2 days (pH 5.8-6.4). They got a top dressing 5 days ago (Geoflora veg nutes).

Not sure what to do to correct, and they are definitely going to need MORE now that they are transitioning to flower. I am almost ready to start feeding them a liquid nute to try and get them back on track.

Would love to hear your thoughts :confused:

245658038_857909344889914_3605917584421695006_n.jpg
246814250_1274308729675796_4249041933954016728_n.jpg
248619820_1020217905439383_2276972311334599766_n.jpg
246420790_1002066480643801_7286665281577022719_n.jpg
247345641_306225974362027_1788481603863376177_n.jpg

@KanaGirl Could you tell us more about the water source, light height, and other nutes and supplements you're using in this grow?

This doesn't look quite like nutrient deficiency, but if your plant is a super heavy feeder that could be the problem. If it's Phosphorus deficient that will likely resolve after your first BLOOM feeding. While we think it is unlikely this is a Geoflora issue, it's important that your plants get back to being healthy and happy, perhaps some other forum members have some advice?

Back
Top Bottom